• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 254: Khabib vs. Gaethje

Khabib or Gaethje?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Great night of fights. Khabib shows again why he's the GOAT. Sad to see him go, but he has all my respect in the world. Whatever is best for him and his family is his choice and him doing it at the top of the game knowing that he's the best speaks wonders to his character. Glad for him, sad to see him go, wish him all the best.

More motivation for him to beat Poirier (won't be easy). Chandler & Tony in the mix & Islam will join em next year. Lightweight can go anywhere. I don't see a dominant champion type.
All that support that khabib gets from his team and country is going straight to Islam. Khabibs father's wish was for Islam to take khabibs place after khabib retires, they're gonna do everything they can to make that happen.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Khabib would return from retirement to fight GSP, guaranteed.

I think gaesthje did better first round than the impressions I'm seeing. I gave him the round before that takedown. He dazed khabib a few times with good strikes. Khabib can be a bit wreckless at times and we could have seen Justin KO him if they decide to trade

Just sad khabib retired on a fight to someone who lost to Poirier and Alvarez. Wish it would have been Tony for a perfect story arc.

Fuck Covid for killing khabib dad.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Much props to Khabib a true legend, I thought Justin would be able to disrupt Khabib a lot more than he did but great fight. I’m not sad to see Khabib retire, his style would get neutralized if he went up to his natural weight and he’s beaten every guy at 155. Great champion though and from all appearances a very good guy as well 👍

Khabib would return from retirement to fight GSP, guaranteed.

I think gaesthje did better first round than the impressions I'm seeing. I gave him the round before that takedown. He dazed khabib a few times with good strikes. Khabib can be a bit wreckless at times and we could have seen Justin KO him if they decide to trade

Just sad khabib retired on a fight to someone who lost to Poirier and Alvarez. Wish it would have been Tony for a perfect story arc.

Fuck Covid for killing khabib dad.
No he wont, the guy is all about respect and his word, no way would he break a promise to his mother.

Just watched the fight: Khabib is a monster, and the whole division must have gone: "Al Hamdu Lillah” when he said that he was retiring. Sad not to see him perform again, but, in all honesty, who in the division could have had a chance to beat him? “None", is the correct answer. Tony would have been mauled, again and again, and Connor has zero chance against such a high level grappler...
Godly gifted fighter. I honestly thought that Gaethje was the only fighter equipped to somehow pull an upset, and yet Khabib went out there and put him to sleep in a less seconds than it took for the referee to wrap his head around the situation. Kudos to him and his team.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

Dillon-Danis.jpg

Will we ever see this dum fuck get his head kicked in

Dillon-Danis.jpg

Will we ever see this dum fuck get his head kicked in

This biatch can hold the camera while his Irish spouse gets mauled by the Eastern bear in a street fight. Once Khabib is finished with McChicken, he will probably lunge at the screen like in those horror found footage movies...That is the last time anybody will get to enjoy the infamous Danis’s girly screams.

Just send location!

Last edited:

Carton

Cannonier received some really poor advice/false reassurance between round 2-3, when his cornerman advised him that all Rob had was the jab and that he was only throwing single shots; clearly they had missed Rob landing a double jab followed by the right hand combo just 20 seconds earlier. Then, of course, Whittaker comes within a few nits of putting Cannonier’s lights out completely with a beautiful combination. Great win for Rob.

What else can you say about Khabib? He had a fantastic strategy with constant pressure to get Gaethje over-excited and sloppy and then school him with precision. Gaethje‘s wrestling was actually his downfall, as he gave up his back as if they were being scored on wrestling criteria which Khabib quickly seized and put the hooks in. What extremely confident work from the top to go straight to a high mount and work for the triangle, not giving Gaethje anytime to get his bearings.
iA9cWcf.jpg

feT5Bfe.jpg

UbIxBSb.jpg

Last edited:

Carton

I imagine Cannonier going backstage and throwing his crystals into the trash
He’ll keep them. If he was that interested in and influenced by empirical evidence, he wouldn’t have formed a belief in them to begin with.

mekes

I agree with Jones here, there are some caveats (drug test related) but in general I agree. The only bullshit post is obvious, the general public don’t hold him down for his skin colour. His star was supposed to shine just as bright as anybodies in the UFC, I believe he was on track for ridiculous success. He put an end to that himself, very sad to witness as an onlooker.

JimiNutz

Banned
just rewatched the main event. Khabib was like a terminator. So much pressure and gaethje looked super apprehensive, expecting him to shoot

I had a few people over to watch it last night and 'Terminator' is a word that was mentioned a lot during the fight. Khabib was so composed and methodical.

Gaethje was bouncing around all over the place like an excited puppy but Khabib just had that killer look in his eye. Although Gaethje caught him a couple of times with his wild hooks Khabib didn't really seem to have much respect for his power, pretty much walked through his punches and then landed much crisper straight shots down the middle.

When he got Gaethje down it was crazy how quickly he advanced position. Gaethje, like so many before him, looked completely helpless on the ground.

What a fucking beast.

If he does genuinely retire then it's gonna suck because no matter who takes the title in his absence we are all gonna know they are a fake champ that couldn't beat the true GOAT.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

I agree with Jones here, there are some caveats (drug test related) but in general I agree. The only bullshit post is obvious, the general public don’t hold him down for his skin colour. His star was supposed to shine just as bright as anybodies in the UFC, I believe he was on track for ridiculous success. He put an end to that himself, very sad to witness as an onlooker.

Jon has accomplished more than khabib no doubt. I would aargue his fight IQ is also much higher . But he cheats... Fuck you Jon Jones

Khabib just crushed a bunch of strikers with his specialty in one weight class, let's call it what it is

Last edited:

Romulus

The difference is the amount of close calls Bones has had. Even fans of him know he has barely squeaked by and many argue he lost two fights, not to mention so many other close matches. Just look at his record, anytime he fights someone his height, he has difficulty. Most of Bones fights are him sniping people with his massive reach advantage(sometimes 10+inches) short stocky guys that he preys on. Khabib just outright wrecked the top guys in his division, not even close 95% of the time, and he had no physical advantages, in fact he was at a disadvantage quite often. He's the GOAT 100%.

Last edited:

Is he serious? How many rounds has Jones lost? Khabib hasn't lost a single one, hell Jones even lost some fights on the judges score cards. Also he's crying about working 4X harder as a black man, bitch Khabib had to fight WAY more than Jones before he was given a title shot, Jones got the fast track to the title. This is a fucking joke.

Ornlu

Banned
Is he serious? How many rounds has Jones lost? Khabib hasn't lost a single one, hell Jones even lost some fights on the judges score cards. Also he's crying about working 4X harder as a black man, bitch Khabib had to fight WAY more than Jones before he was given a title shot, Jones got the fast track to the title. This is a fucking joke.

A wealthy black man from a wealthy black family in the wealthiest country in the world bitching about people praising someone from fucking Dagestan has to be close to peak irony. For fuck sake.

GymWolf

I rewatched the fight and justin was doing a great job with the leg kicks, another 3-4 of them and i don't know if the results would be the same...you can't push like he was pushing with a leg that doesn't support your weight.

Ironically enough, i think that justin did more damage than any khabib opponent in the last years, surely more than dustin and conor.

notseqi

Boned Jones showing exactly why people are hyping Khabib... He's likeable. Bones' success is one side but he has shown himself to be a bit of a turd.

khabib doesn't know how hard it is to squeeze under the cage when usada comes
rulebook keeping the black man down

Top Bottom