• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: PS5 Pro releasing on November 2024

twilo99

PS5 is fine, and exclusive games looks and performs very good, same for some great 3rd party games, but the more demanding games releasing in 2024 and so on, will be all 30fps, or even 60 with a lot to sacrify. With PS5 PRO you will be able to run at 60 fps and heavier Ray Tracing everything which is running at 30 fps on a base PS5. I know there are gamers who don't care that much, and/or others who would like to see a true generational leap between generations, but there are also other gamers who want better performance, better Ray Tracing, better effects, etc. Now, think about GTA6, and how many gamers would love to play it at 1440p / 60 fps and Ray-Tracing; nothing is confirmed at this point, that is just an example/hypothesis, but if you ask me, it could be a "game changer", at least the way I see it. Or the most demanding Sony Exclusive, and be able to play all at 60 fps in fidelity mode and better Ray Tracing/effects. I think, once you try it, you would never go back.

If this is the case then we need new hardware every 3 years just to keep up..

It would be more consumer friendly to make that first hardware iteration more future proof so you don't have to buy new hardware so soon

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

It would be more consumer friendly to make that first hardware iteration more future proof so you don't have to buy new hardware so soon
Couple of problems with that is the cost and even if you put out say a $1000 console to start a gen about 3-4 years in people like myself would be clamoring for a Pro model

Yes I am a part of the problem

Sorry Fireplace GIF by South Park

Caio

With a target price of around $500, it was already half a miracle to deliver you a PS5 and a XSX at launch. Furthermore, with 120 plus millions of PS4 on the market, and other millions of XBox One, you can't stop developing for these consoles, and generally you have cross-gen games for 3-4 years after the new hardwares release. Add to this longer development time for the AAA games, often Devs need 4-5 years to finish their most demanding games, and those which are exclusive to the new hardware are basicly coming out 3-7 years after Launch. You can't have short console life-cycle anymore, so, basicly, the Mid Gen refresh strategy become kind of the new standard, unavoidable, as more and more gamers want always better performance, even the console gamers, not only PC gamers :D

The only thing i'm a bit a fear... is the size...

PlayStation 5 Classic is already a monster...

And after having lived with the OG PS4 Pro for years now, and still am, I love my 1100 PS5. The hefty size of it makes for great heat management, and I can't imagine any other system running more silent than the one I got.

So, I guess we're looking at a Slim later this year for $399 without a disk drive. The attachment will be $50-$100. Next year we'll have a Pro that's $499, again without the drive, but can use the same drive attachment as the Slim.

bitbydeath

I looked at 8K tvs at Best Buy and truthfully couldn't tell the difference between 8K and 4k next to it. Please enlighten me, what is the point of 8K versus the frames?
I’m good with 30FPS.
Not sure why you can’t tell a difference between 8K and 4K? The difference is massive. The PS5 UE5 demo was just a small taste of the difference if you saw that.

I’m good with 30FPS.
Not sure why you can’t tell a difference between 8K and 4K? The difference is massive. The PS5 UE5 demo was just a small taste of the difference if you saw that.
And where exactly are you going to see 8K at its full fidelity for UE5 if you don't have a 8K TV or monitor? Looking at a 8K video on a 4K or lesser monitor you won't see anything. And no, I haven't see the PS5 UE5 demo your talking about, are you talking about Matrix? Thats the only thing I saw and as as I recall it wasn't at 8K and even if it was, I don't have a 8K monitor to view it on.

And yes, I couldn't tell the difference between 8K and 4K at best buy while looking side by side, maybe it's the footage that was on, but I don't see the hype.

Good luck finding a 8K monitor with 60 herts or 120 at an affordable price.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

And where exactly are you going to see 8K at its full fidelity for UE5 if you don't have a 8K TV or monitor? Looking at a 8K video on a 4K or lesser monitor you won't see anything. And no, I haven't see the PS5 UE5 demo your talking about, are you talking about Matrix? Thats the only thing I saw and as as I recall it wasn't at 8K and even if it was, I don't have a 8K monitor to view it on.

And yes, I couldn't tell the difference between 8K and 4K at best buy while looking side by side, maybe it's the footage that was on, but I don't see the hype.b
I have an 8K TV, or did you mean you? If you don’t have an 8K TV then buy one? Or check in-store, maybe they weren’t showing 8K content on it at the time? The Matrix wasn’t 8K, Lumen in the land of Nanite (PS5 demo) had 8K textures which is currently our best look at 8K in the gaming space.

StereoVsn

Will probably grab it. Figure I will sell PS5 for $250ish at that time so it will be extra $250-350 depending on the Pro price which isn't too bad.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I’m good with 30FPS.
I will be honest I have looked at 4k and 8k side by side and unless you have a 75" screen and are sitting literally 2 feet away there is no difference.

Edit - So just looked and even Sony says for 8k @ 75" you need to sit 4 1/2 feet away from the screen.

Last edited:
I have an 8K TV, or did you mean you? If you don’t have an 8K TV then buy one? Or check in-store, maybe they weren’t showing 8K content on it at the time? The Matrix wasn’t 8K, Lumen in the land of Nanite (PS5 demo) had 8K textures which is currently our best look at 8K in the gaming space.
Can you link the Lumen demo? And since when does PS5 render 8K natively? There are very very few people that I know who have 8K TV's.

I do not play video games on big screens anymore as it is not comfortable for me in my studio and I prefer sitting up close with a monitor. Yeah, anyone can get an 8K TV right now, including myself, but I have no desire. They are not as expensive as they used to be, but I prefer monitors and they are practically non-existent. There is a 8K Dell Monitor, but its fucking dell for fuck's sake lol which means it's utter shit and is also very overpriced.

EDMIX

Come on guys, this is crazy, why would Sony want more money? Why would they want people to have more options and choice?

Its not like PS4 Pro did well anyway, it was only for 4K and stuff, ZERO reason exist for this to really be a thing /s

I still don't get why some were betting against a company looking to make money. This was always inevitable to me and a matter a when then if.

It would be like acting shocked that Switch 2 has a "lite" version or "OLED" version or some shit while ignoring the entire history of them doing this.

Sure but I mean in my opinion it would be better to focus on the ps6 even if it's for 2028 or something.

Who is to say they are not already working on PS6 right now?

I mean, did you really think they'd stop to focus on a Pro version? I mean shit, did PS5 literally not come out after PS4 Pro or? lol They have many teams and its very, very likely its just split the exact way we saw with PS4 Pro and PS5....thats it.

So I don't see this as an either or and Sony as a company still need to make money, to then fund PS6's development, thus would need the sales of PS5 Pro, PS5 Slim etc.

I worry that people more and more get bored to change their console every 3 years

Yea, no one is forcing anyone to... PS4 broke many records for them and did just fine lol

So...no disrespect Senki, what you are saying literally has nothing to do with how that company operates. Their job is to make as much money as they can.

Couple of problems with that is the cost and even if you put out say a $1000 console to start a gen about 3-4 years in people like myself would be clamoring for a Pro model

Yes I am a part of the problem

Sorry Fireplace GIF by South Park

Same here! New hardware every three years might even keep me away from PC.
I'll happily shell out for a pro model every 3-4 years. After trading in the previous model it really isn't that big of a hit to your wallet anyway. I like the simplicity of a console and have no intentions of going back to a gaming PC.

I Want Reaction GIF

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
shaquille-o-neal-cat.gif

Why does everyone want a “pro” so much when the current version runs everything just fine?
Just because we can?

Sometimes, things dont need to have a specific reason. Hell, when I finally decided to build my PC at the last minute I got better parts.

I didnt need to, but I wanted to. In the end it was a good call, a better mobo and cpu.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I will be honest I have looked at 4k and 8k side by side and unless you have a 75" screen and are sitting literally 2 feet away there is no difference.

Edit - So just looked and even Sony says for 8k @ 75" you need to sit 4 1/2 feet away from the screen.
Just watching YouTube videos is like the jump from 720p to 1080p all over again. IMO

bitbydeath

Can you link the Lumen demo? And since when does PS5 render 8K natively? There are very very few people that I know who have 8K TV's.

I do not play video games on big screens anymore as it is not comfortable for me in my studio and I prefer sitting up close with a monitor. Yeah, anyone can get an 8K TV right now, including myself, but I have no desire. They are not as expensive as they used to be, but I prefer monitors and they are practically non-existent. There is a 8K Dell Monitor, but its fucking dell for fuck's sake lol which means it's utter shit and is also very overpriced.

The rumours are the PS5 Pro will display games in 8K. OG PS5 can currently and has one indie game that allows for it, nothing impressive there though.

The rumours are the PS5 Pro will display games in 8K. OG PS5 can currently and has one indie game that allows for it, nothing impressive there though.

Oh THAT demo, yes I saw it back then and my PC can easily eat that up on NATIVE 8K if I wanted to.

As a matter of fact I mess around with Nanite myself in UE 5. It's impressive tech for sure and 8K textures are cool but to be able to really take advantage of it, you'd need machine/hardware to be able to run it at stable framerates and good resolution.

Yes, I know what indie game you are talking about, DF did coverage on it. It's called Tourist or something like that with very blocky art style. Both Series X and PS5 can do it. But it's not a native 8K game and I doubt PS5 Pro will do native as well. Your going to need another generational leap for that to really become a common standard.

Last edited:

Eotheod

Or you can just put £10 a week into a sock under your mattress or in that magpies nest in the tree outside and you'll have enough by the time release comes.

If the magpies don't spend it on drugs.
I don't think they'll take kindly to bribes. Also they won't spend it on drugs, they'll spend it on wing/talon enhancements to ensure increased damage to bicycle riders. They must increase their attack damage to destroy the zip tie helmets.

If you are smart, put your money in a butcher bird's nest. At least they'll provide a meaty meal as interest earned.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Oh THAT demo, yes I saw it back then and my PC can easily eat that up on NATIVE 8K if I wanted to.

As a matter of fact I mess around with Nanite myself in UE 5. It's impressive tech for sure and 8K textures are cool but to be able to really take advantage of it, you'd need machine/hardware to be able to run it at stable framerates and good resolution.

Yes, I know what indie game you are talking about, DF did coverage on it. It's called Tourist or something like that with very blocky art style. Both Series X and PS5 can do it. But it's not a native 8K game and I doubt PS5 Pro will do native as well. Your going to need another generational leap for that to really become a common standard.
Don’t know why but they never allowed 8K textures in the PC version. It’ll likely get upgraded if consoles start doing it though.

Mr.Phoenix

Why does everyone want a “pro” so much when the current version runs everything just fine?
If you are good with just fine then surely you wouldn't have a problem with a lot better?

Or are you one of those people that just doesn't like knowing there is something better than what you have out there?

Perrott

Gold Member
He PS4 Pro and One X didn’t change the whole architecture. This won’t either.
PS4 Pro adopted the recently released Polaris architecture and even integrated some features that wouldn't game until a year later with Vega. Worst case scenario, PS5 Pro will be RDNA 3.5 with RDNA 4 features, and at best a full-on RDNA 4 device.

They didn't have any newer alternative in the CPU front from AMD when doing the mid-gen refresh last generation, so they decided to stick with an overclocked Jaguar, but this time around things are different as they have newer Zen generations that don't represent major shifts in architecture, so they'll 100% go for a Zen 4c with the PS5 Pro.

Top Bottom