• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS5 Pro Codenamed "Trinity" targeting Late 2024 (some alleged specs leaked)

Would you upgrade from your current PS5?

• For sure

Votes: 377 41.0%
  • Probably

Votes: 131 14.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 127 13.8%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 140 15.2%
  • Not a chance

Votes: 145 15.8%

• Total voters

Mahavastu

What are you compensating for?
I just wanted a HomeCinema and this screen gives me a large screen and the sound system a decent sound, it simply feels like cinema. With TVs it always felt like "huge sound but tiny screen".
But I have this screen since 2008 (back then FullHD, now 4k) so I do not think too often about it now :pie_eyeroll:
Anyway, I kept my 1st projector for 14 years, so it is not that I change my hardware every year like some others here...

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Only if its gpu limited

At 1440p with multiple RT applications, it absolutely is.

but seeing as its one of the most interactive/dynamic worlds its going to be very taxing on the cpu meaning zen2 isnt delivering a 60fps upgrade from 30.

Source? Many of the game systems people believe are CPU intensive, are actually executed on GPU as they have become significantly faster over the generations.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
60fps really isn't a big target for CPUs in this day and age. They're so powerful that you really don't need much to reach that.

average-fps-1920-1080.png

Look at the Ryzen 3600 and 3700X which average 130-140fps when CPU-limited. GTA VI will be a GPU-bound game. CPU-bound games aren't that common and tend to be strategy, sim builders, or games like Flight Sim. These are heavily AI-driven with a million instructions per second so they're very taxing on multiple threads.

Throw a 4090 on a Ryzen 3600 and set the resolution to 1080p in GTA VI and I bet it'll fly at 70fps+. Only problem might be in very CPU-intensive scenes where it might buckle and drop below 60 but this shouldn't be super common.

High-end PCs no longer stop at 60fps unless they're gunning for 4K, RT, or Ultra settings. Lots go for 144fps or more. I frequently max my refresh rate of 165Hz with my 4090 at 3440x1440.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I was originally not that interested in a Pro console. Now that one of the PS5s has been relocated to my daughter's house, I need another one here. It will probably be the "VR machine" so I need to know if it is going to improve VR by much. When we getting those specs?

PeteBull

I was originally not that interested in a Pro console. Now that one of the PS5s has been relocated to my daughter's house, I need another one here. It will probably be the "VR machine" so I need to know if it is going to improve VR by much. When we getting those specs?
According to the leaks its gonna launch holidays 2024, specs wise, again according to credible/trustworthy leaks its 60-70% improvement in raster, much more in rt, and mild cpu clock upgrade(same zen2 archi).
Those specs for sure are worth 500 or even 600usd msrp and will make buying base ps5 or xbox series consoles super obsolete/not worth it.

Gaiff

Gaiff Gaiff
Consoles use APUS. It's not like a PC with separeted CPU and GPU. So you can't compare PC cpus that simple with an APU.
Of course, you can. There are APUs on PC too and the performance isn't dramatically different. If anything, consoles tend to perform quite a bit better than their PC counterparts when it comes to CPUs. They don't have anywhere near as much overhead and their low-level access matters even more than with GPUs.

If you manage to CPU-limit the PS5 such as in BG3, you can see it perform similarly to a 3600. You got things such as the much smaller cache that can tank performance in CPU-intensive scenes but by and large, you end in the same ballpark most of the time.

I'm sure Ori and the Touryst were dabbling around with 8k super sampling iirc at the beginning of this gen. But I still don't think that translates into the PS5 Pro suddenly making 8k gaming the norm or 8k becoming a focus for devs at this time.
Well yeah no one expects it for things like horizon or spider man but some last gen/cross gen games and especially simpler games like platformers side scrollers etc could do it heck dragon ball fighterz could as well it can do mostly 8k 60 on a 2080ti

Missed opportunity not getting rid of that ancient chip but I guess they have to save something for the PS6
They don’t have to save anything the expectation for the pro was to use zen 4 if not zen 5 and that wouldn’t have gone into a ps6 the 2028 or later ps6 is using something like zen 8 which would still be 3x more than zen 5 so no reason to gimp the pro

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
They don’t have to save anything the expectation for the pro was to use zen 4 if not zen 5 and that wouldn’t have gone into a ps6 the 2028 or later ps6 is using something like zen 8 which would still be 3x more than zen 5 so no reason to gimp the pro
I wouldn't hold your breath hoping for Zen 4 or 5 in the Pro, expect to see that in the next Xbox though

I have almost no doubt that it will.

Is there currently a single game that is CPU-limited to below 60fps on consoles? Hell, the regular PS5 will probably get a Performance Mode that will run decently. PS5 Pro should have no problems.

With all the bells and whistles though, unlikely since that's probably the PC version. They'll never port it to the 9th gen consoles because they'll port it to the 10th gen consoles and ask you for more money if you want the upgrade.
Your actually now giving the base ps5 too much credit zen 2 is crap and has been crap since day 1 it’s only not considered that because it was being compared to pure dogwater in jaguar from last gen and being said it’s good in comparison. The ps5 already screwed up not using zen 3 from the get go so if the pro is still gonna use zen 2 it’s doa and no chance it has a performance mode on the base model (even at 540p) certainly not at a locked 60. I hope the leak is wrong and the pro is using zen 4/zen 5

I wouldn't hold your breath hoping for Zen 4 or 5 in the Pro, expect to see that in the next Xbox though
I don’t know why it would be considered so impossible especially when the expectation is the pro to be minimum $600 discless could be as much as $700 discless you think they can get away with that without upgrading the cpu?

If u mean gta6 looking like the trailer we all saw and fell in love with and if u mean leaked ps5pr0 specs with just bit upped cpu clock but still old zen2 cpu= no chance, gotta be realistic.
Im hoping for stable 1440p30 tho :D
The leaked specs were debunked so let’s not jump the gun yet. I don’t believe it’s gonna just be overlooked zen 2 I think even if they stay zen 2 which would be ridiculous I think they would at least up the cache/add 3d cache. I also think the gpu will be more an %80 minimum upgrade

The GTA trailer with all of the RT shown would be massively GPU limited so there is no doubt in my mind pro will run at 60 and maybe even beyond. Even the fears of base ps5 not being able to run at 60 with visual cuts is unfounded imo.
Raytracing especially a lot of it also has a major cpu cost not just gpu I think when using all the rt effects/ pt the cpu cost becomes almost as big as the gpu. No point in discussing this anyway I don’t believe the zen 2 leaks considering the expected price

Gaiff

Your actually now giving the base ps5 too much credit zen 2 is crap and has been crap since day 1 it’s only not considered that because it was being compared to pure dogwater in jaguar from last gen and being said it’s good in comparison. The ps5 already screwed up not using zen 3 from the get go so if the pro is still gonna use zen 2 it’s doa and no chance it has a performance mode on the base model (even at 540p) certainly not at a locked 60. I hope the leak is wrong and the pro is using zen 4/zen 5
Nope. 60fps really isn't that hard even for a game like GTA VI. Could it dip below? Yes. But by far, your biggest bottleneck will be the GPU. Any semi-modern CPU can hit 60fps in most recent games. It's even easier on consoles.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Raytracing especially a lot of it also has a major cpu cost not just gpu I think when using all the rt effects/ pt the cpu cost becomes almost as big as the gpu. No point in discussing this anyway I don’t believe the zen 2 leaks considering the expected price

Not when we're talking about AMD GPUs.

PeteBull

The leaked specs were debunked so let’s not jump the gun yet. I don’t believe it’s gonna just be overlooked zen 2 I think even if they stay zen 2 which would be ridiculous I think they would at least up the cache/add 3d cache. I also think the gpu will be more an %80 minimum upgrade
Thats a first, care to point me to some info about it then? And if the leak is debunked(the 60cu leak, aka downclocked/downvolted rx 7800xt on 4n process node with upclocked zen2 cpu), what are the leaked specs?
If it happened it must have been leak from actual devs/3rd party so this/last week, i really cant find anything but if u got info plz post it(just plz no youtuber/influcencer, guys like moores law is dead were wrong so many times and i genuely didnt see them leaking 1 single thing- just repeating other ppl actual leaks then claiming them for their own, or speculaticing wildly outa their ass w/o any leaks and ofc in many cases being 100% wrong- im subbed to his channel and watch his vids, guy has 0 credibility lol xD

Last edited:

twilo99

By this logic the PS5 should’ve certainly been Zen3

I'm excited for the system. Maybe it will, indeed, at least have a Zen 3 on higher clocks.

That's not too much to ask for. But I was always quite happy with my PS4 Pro prior to the PS5 launch. The added benefits were nice and there are a couple of games right now, such as Baldur's Gate III and Cyberpunk(the latter I haven't gotten yet) that seem like prime candidates for that extra oomph.

I've started to save a bit for this--lot easier to start now, as I don't expect it to be less than $600.

If it's more than $600, I would hope the secret sauce or upgrades are good.

Cerny has always consistently delivered a strong system, so I'll trust in his design choices.

Pro is coming 2024.
Next Xbox is said to be coming 2025/2026.

Sony can build a chip that can not beat but come close.
Now about that, that's going to be very interesting to see. Remember when X1X was released 1 year after PS4 Pro with better specs, sure, but actually older tech? X1X was Polaris when PS4 Pro was a mix of Polaris + Vega.

Last edited:
Nope. 60fps really isn't that hard even for a game like GTA VI. Could it dip below? Yes. But by far, your biggest bottleneck will be the GPU. Any semi-modern CPU can hit 60fps in most recent games. It's even easier on consoles.
Yeah on easy cross gen games I’m adressing next gen ones it’s very strange for once your defending the ps5 when it’s biggest issue by far has always been its cpu and now your going to bat for the pro not upgrading it at all

Honestly zen 2 is fine. I would rather zen 3 or 4 but honestly it’s fine. We have 3 ryzens in my house. 5900X for me and 3600X for my two sons. They all still fly through games and we are all on 144hz + monitors. Really not sure where the Zen 2 is rubbish is coming from.
It’s bad for raytracing and it’s bad if you ever want to target above 60 we will be scraping 60 at best if we are lucky. They need to use zen 5

Thats a first, care to point me to some info about it then? And if the leak is debunked(the 60cu leak, aka downclocked/downvolted rx 7800xt on 4n process node with upclocked zen2 cpu), what are the leaked specs?
If it happened it must have been leak from actual devs/3rd party so this/last week, i really cant find anything but if u got info plz post it(just plz no youtuber/influcencer, guys like moores law is dead were wrong so many times and i genuely didnt see them leaking 1 single thing- just repeating other ppl actual leaks then claiming them for their own, or speculaticing wildly outa their ass w/o any leaks and ofc in many cases being 100% wrong- im subbed to his channel and watch his vids, guy has 0 credibility lol xD
Kepler and one other source who’s name escapes me debunked the resetera leak your mentioning and Kepler last year implied using a zen 5 Rdna 4 based apu would justify a $600 price point

Pro is coming 2024.
Next Xbox is said to be coming 2025/2026.

Sony can build a chip that can not beat but come close.
I'm excited for the system. Maybe it will, indeed, at least have a Zen 3 on higher clocks.

That's not too much to ask for. But I was always quite happy with my PS4 Pro prior to the PS5 launch. The added benefits were nice and there are a couple of games right now, such as Baldur's Gate III and Cyberpunk(the latter I haven't gotten yet) that seem like prime candidates for that extra oomph.

I've started to save a bit for this--lot easier to start now, as I don't expect it to be less than $600.

If it's more than $600, I would hope the secret sauce or upgrades are good.

Cerny has always consistently delivered a strong system, so I'll trust in his design choices.
If it’s more than 600 and they aren’t upping the cpu it would be highway robbery heck even at $600 it’s really pushing it to not upgrade it. Also if it got upgraded the expectation is zen 4 or possibly zen 5 depending on when dev kits are finalized. I care more about the cpu getting upgraded in this than the gpu

Gaiff

Yeah on easy cross gen games
Again, no. In Alan Wake 2, it's GPU-limited. Avatar? GPU-limited. Spider-Man 2? It can hit 60fps no problem. It hits a CPU wall. Jedi Survivor? You bet. GPU-limited. Once they added the mode without RT, it stuck to 60fps without a problem.
I’m adressing next gen ones it’s very strange for once your defending the ps5 when it’s biggest issue by far has always been its cpu and now your going to bat for the pro not upgrading it at all
The hell you mean for once "defending" the PS5? "Bat for the Pro"? What is this fanboy drivel? I don't defend anything. I'm merely sating the truth.

And no, its biggest issue is almost always the GPU. 95% of games are GPU-limited, not CPU-limited. As I said, 60fps is easy as hell to reach and there are cheapass CPUs that are twice the performance of the PS5's. 60fps isn't hard to reach at all.

Why do you think budget builds recommend low-end CPUs like the 12400f (still much faster than the console CPUs) that easily hit 60fps and beyond? Because the CPU is almost never the bottleneck, especially not at 60 which is piss-easy to run.

Find me those games that are CPU-limited on consoles that aren't BG3 or Flight Sim 2020. The list is incredibly short. To top it all off, consoles tend to run much lower settings than PC's high preset in their performance modes, further lightening CPU load.

And dude, there is a multi-quote function. Why do you post 10 times in a row?

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Still think Sony would still try to come close in performance with the next Xbox for the Pro.

I don't think Sony even knew of any plans for next Xbox console coming 2025/2026 at the time of PS5 Pro development.

Anyways I'm still kind of puzzled with MS plan. GTA VI is on track to launch early 2025, 2026 will be too late. It's either 2025 or bust to give them a fighting chance of mass adoption between Nextbox and PS6 time period.

Zuzu

I have almost no doubt that it will.

Is there currently a single game that is CPU-limited to below 60fps on consoles? Hell, the regular PS5 will probably get a Performance Mode that will run decently. PS5 Pro should have no problems.

With all the bells and whistles though, unlikely since that's probably the PC version. They'll never port it to the 9th gen consoles because they'll port it to the 10th gen consoles and ask you for more money if you want the upgrade.

I think Gotham Knights and Starfield can’t reach 60fps due to cpu limitations. But yeah you’re right, there’s hardly any games on consoles which can’t reach 60fps due to cpu limitations. I also think that Rockstar are much better at software engineering than the guys who made Gotham Knights or Bethesda so they should be able to optimise the cpu use of GTA6 much better than those games. But I guess it also may depend on the complexity of their physics systems and how many npcs etc. they put into an environment at any one time. I guess we’ll see.

Last edited:
Will that Pro be close to the next Xbox?

We heard the same thing about Series X vs PS5

MS won’t have any advantage launching later. There’s no technology refresh to give them a big boost.

Only thing they can do is go even bigger and more expensive, making an already niche userbase even more niche. And they still have to support Series S.

Last edited:

PeteBull

MS won’t have any advantage launching later. There’s no technology refresh to give them a big boost.

Only thing they can do is go even bigger and more expensive, making an already niche userbase even more niche. And they still have to support Series S.
Specs wise it could be visible difference, ps4pr0 vs xbox one x was 4,2 vs 6tf, ofc most games didnt take advantage of that coz xbox had much lower instal base so it wasnt worth it for the devs to work on xbox one x version too much, some did, for example rdr2, thats how the difference was/is .
First lets see that ps5pr0 tho, we still have no clue whats in there.

Pretty sure its all newest info we got, from not even 2weeks ago, which suggest ps5pr0 will be downclocked rx7800xt still with zen2 cpu just bit higher clocks(makes sense, base ps5 was on 7nm, if ps5pr0 launches made on 4nm obviously they can bump up cpu clocks).

For the crowd who saying ps5pr0 will be not like in the leak, look carefully what kepler corrected, only one small thing- not 56 cu but 60cu active out of 64 on full die, that is all, nothing else, all other specs he confirms.

Here is the gpu in question guys, we got access to its specs/perf in games, both raster and rt, and how it stacks up vs gpu's similar to ps5 base, and all other gpu's on pc market

2 super important things, amd is making it on 5nm, and gpu alone has tdp of 263W, so if its gonna be made in 2024 on 4nm obviously it will take less power, and it needs to, whole ps5pr0 console likely gonnabe in range of 220-250W(more likely 220), so for this gpu on its own get likely in the 180-200W range some downclock will be needed, hence our extrapolation about it being 10 maybe 15% slower from actual already accessible card.

TLDR.
Conclusion is clear- keep ur expectactions realistic, it will still be most powerful mashine on console market, by far, and very worth of 600usd, but dont expect 80cu juggernaut combined with zen4 cpu, that would be at least 800usd msrp- u, me and many hardcore ppl would love/buy it right away, but sony will go with very mild/conservative specs bump this time.

Last edited:

PeteBull

man companies today sure think for a short-term manner. What are you gonna leave for future ps console at this rate?
There will be plenty left for ps6 in 2028, ps5pr0 is just mild specs bump, same cpu just bit bumped clock.

If ps5pr0 vs ps5base is 60% raster/2x rt and dunno 20-30% higher clocks on zen2 cpu then ps6 might be zen 5 or 6, and gpu wise it could be above rtx 4090 range(not saying 2x as strong but maybe 40-50% stronger?)

All depends on avaiable tech by that time, and just as we extrapolated for ps4/pr0/ps5/pr0 we will see whats avaiable top tech from amd, then we will put it into realistic console box form factor, and voila, specs gonna be guessed/roughly estimated .

foamdino

I don’t know why it would be considered so impossible especially when the expectation is the pro to be minimum $600 discless could be as much as $700 discless you think they can get away with that without upgrading the cpu?
You keep informing everyone in this thread that the ps5 pro will be $600 without a disc drive. We only have 1 prior data point to go off, ps4 pro - in that case the price of the pro was the same as the launch price of the ps4.

Why are you so insistent that during rough economic times that the half-gen console is going to be priced as a super-premium device? It doesn't make financial sense to me, but perhaps you are an insider with some information you'd like to share with the class?

Loxus

Bill Murray Yes GIF by Filmin

Can? Sure they can

Will that Pro be close to the next Xbox?

John Candy No GIF by Laff

Whispering Bel Air GIF by PeacockTV

I don't think Sony even knew of any plans for next Xbox console coming 2025/2026 at the time of PS5 Pro development.

Anyways I'm still kind of puzzled with MS plan. GTA VI is on track to launch early 2025, 2026 will be too late. It's either 2025 or bust to give them a fighting chance of mass adoption between Nextbox and PS6 time period.
Looking at AMD roadmap and the expected cost of consoles. $500-600.

The next Xbox releasing 1-2 years isn't going to be that much of a generational leap vs the Pro, specs/performance wise.

This is probably why they were pitching a cloud hybrid console.
s7Rruux.png

Last edited:
You keep informing everyone in this thread that the ps5 pro will be $600 without a disc drive. We only have 1 prior data point to go off, ps4 pro - in that case the price of the pro was the same as the launch price of the ps4.

Why are you so insistent that during rough economic times that the half-gen console is going to be priced as a super-premium device? It doesn't make financial sense to me, but perhaps you are an insider with some information you'd like to share with the class?

It feels like disinformation. Like someone is trying to hard. (Sorry dude)

And if anyone was here for the original ps v Xbox reveal thread, either contributing or following. You know exactly what I mean

All this crazy talk, that’s not what a pro is for and Sony won’t be designing any sort of mad, experimental beast. Think of last time. Improved hardware, but more an incremental improvement. With some new parts or abilities added, that fit with Sonys design concepts and pricing

If you’re looking for a big leap. Well I think that will be the next Xbox, but I was hoping they would wait till they could hit 2nm for the apu and the leap in just power alone that would bring. It might even save Xbox 😂 I/r

I personally think they may go with

Zen 2, with some improvements for rt @ 4.2 ghz. an increased unified cache makes sense here (but like the option to use 3d cache), this might be left out for cost or power reasons. But a higher clock will just make those cache scrubbers work a bit faster. Look at the expected die shrink and what that offers, based on the original 7nm, not the current 6nm apu).

No extra cores, even though they could have a fairly hefty impact (would be a brave move and a shots fired moment to go to 12 or 16 !!! )

Some sort of hybrid gpu, with Sony picking from rdna 2 up to 4 at probably about 2.5-2.8 ghz. Not a monster leap, but at the real extreme Sonys new upscale tech (might even have frame generation concepts in there) might make this look a lot more than it is.

I dont see much more out there, that wouldn’t be more a consideration for a ps6. Not based on the thought process for building both the previous pro and ps5. Faster memory, probably some more that’s slower for an os dump come game time, but the ssd switch is so fast just now. It maybe more just to give more free space back for games (some how). I see the ssd being pretty much the same, at the new 1 tb standard size (might even see like 1.6 pushing 2). But I wonder if the memory lane changes on the new ps5 will also come into play here ? (Not sure what they were, something about faster controllers and less lanes).

Other than that, Possibly some ai assistant chip ? Maybe a new colour ? 😂

It’s a pro. Think of it as a refinement, with some future ideas being road tested. Just my two cents

(oh and it will be around £500/$500 max, probably £550 with a disc drive. It’s not an iPhone and people don’t upgrade every year. Sony knows this. It might even be slightly cheaper than I think

and these are just my thoughts, but I love these threads for all the different ideas and madness that then follows ❤️😂)

Sorry for the long shout out 🙈

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

All true but there will be a much larger power gap this time, if talk is to be believed

I don’t know how this will work out in real world performance because as I have said before some of us watched the PS5 tech reveal in Ybarras Discord and him and Jason Ronald of Xbox both kind of laughed at PS approach to their SSD and thought the Series X power advantage will play out big in games over the PS5

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

All true but there will be a much larger power gap this time, if talk is to be believed

I don’t know how this will work out in real world performance because as I have said before some of us watched the PS5 tech reveal in Ybarras Discord and him and Jason Ronald of Xbox both kind of laughed at PS approach to their SSD and thought the Series X power advantage will play out big in games over the PS5

Pretty embarrassing as well as unprofessional given their positions at the time.

One key point that gets overlooked/ignored when people discuss what tech will get used in the next-gen is when the likes of Sony and MS have to take key decisions on what tech to use at least at the high level. Look at the slide Loxus Loxus posted above (granted MS have probably swivelled from that path now) but deciding what CPU/GPU to go for in Q1 '23 for what would've been a '27/28 launch shows the long lead times here....

I would say the PS5 Pro was conceived before or shortly after PS5 launch and the specs finalised in late '21/early '22 with AMD/TSMC/Sony silicon engineers working for the following 18-20 months on the APU cumulating in the dev kits going out in the last few weeks or so. The talk of it being cancelled last year was probably just Covid related delays?

That's the way I see it, anyway.....

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

The more abstract they go and the more hardware they release and have to support (no exclusive Xbox Next software) the more these could be paper specs not leading to the same results they expect.
MS half heartedly tried the consoles generation model (kind of really did it well with the Xbox 360 only but with enough gaps for the competition to exploit… no standard HDD anymore, expensive WiFi add-on, no HDMI at launch, RRoD issues due to the rushed out launch, etc…), mostly failed at it, and they are now on a rampage trying to convince people the console model is not good and to change the console marker into closed box PCs that release more HW configurations and more often. Like with the games model I feel that intentionally or not they are looking at the smartphone model again.

For what consoles are (relatively small/self contained HW power conscious optimised for gaming priced below $599), given how hardware progress keeps slowing down more and more, the generation model makes more and more sense. You will want custom silicon, you will want developers targeting a fixed set of specs until you can really justify a great leap, etc…

Last edited:
Top Bottom