• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS5 Pro Codenamed "Trinity" targeting Late 2024 (some alleged specs leaked)

Would you upgrade from your current PS5?

• For sure

Votes: 377 41.0%
  • Probably

Votes: 131 14.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 127 13.8%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 140 15.2%
  • Not a chance

Votes: 145 15.8%

• Total voters

Hunnybun

Imagine the sales for these next consoles (no matter their naming) if they would be the only place to play GTA6 at 60 fps and current consoles struggling to maintain 30

Bravo Tv Pump Rules GIF by Slice

So you're saying there's a chance?

Bluntman

Also, upscaling doesn't need ML hardware. It's fancy to call everything ML and AI but DLSS actually uses the dedicated HW (Tensor cores) just for a ONE very small step in the whole upscaling process.

It can run perfectly fine on the CU's. DLSS isn't better than FSR because of the ML hardware, Nvidia had simply more time to work on it and/or thrown more resources at the problem so far.

ML hardware would be a waste of silicon in a gaming console.

Last edited:

splattered

Imagine the sales for these next consoles (no matter their naming) if they would be the only place to play GTA6 at 60 fps and current consoles struggling to maintain 30

I'll take four! And prob never play the next GTA. Would I regret buying the Series X and then jumping into next Gen consoles so soon? Not even a little bit.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Much less than you think, and just exactly how many consoles do you think they can put on the market?

This whole GTAVI at 60fps on Console A or B would be a seismic shift sounds like some good old “wait for”

Which is exactly what’s going to happen in terms of online narrative, another “wait for”

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
I'm not as sceptic about the Pro's promise of 8K resolution gaming as most people here.

It'll be achieved through upscaling techniques, just like the PS4 Pro outputted 4K from 1440p or 1800p internal resolutions. And it is not as if PlayStation's first-party had not building up towards this new optional resolution target for a while now.

Throughout 2018, Polyphony Digital begun to demo GT Sport running at 8K in order to showcase the capabilities of Sony's then upcoming 8K TVs lineup. Some of these demos also ran the title at 120fps, a performance target that some years later was introduced into Gran Turismo 7 for PS5.

That was five years ago when they started to demo GT Sport running in 8K, or six years by the time the PS5 Pro comes out; but going back to the days when 4K was trying to be positioned as the next big thing, Polyphony started showcasing Gran Turismo 5 running at 4K (by using four PS3s) as early as 2008 and more extensively throughout the 2012-2013 season, when Sony's 4K TVs began to make their way into the market. That was either eight or four years before the release of PS4 Pro, depending on how you wanna count it.

The timing is just right for them to want to start targeting 8K in gaming.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I wonder if that amount of RT improvement would mean that a CPU bound game (ie as GTA VI is predicted to be) that has lots of RT could see the load on the CPU reduced enough that some kind of performance mode could become a possibility.
Not really.

If your game logic takes all of 6ms to complete, and you are targeting 60fps, then it means the CPU will never be the bottleneck, by the time your GPU renders out the frame, the CPU has started logic on the next frame and would be waiting on the GPU to put it on the next batch of calls. In this case, something seldom ever talked about, devs would do something akin to reverse optimization, this is where they take stuff that may otherwise be handled by the GPU and load it onto the CPU to improve GPU render times. This would be the ideal or best-case scenario situation for the PS5pro. So in situations like this, a 2x faster GPU can mean you can get double the frames.

Anyways, back to your question and example, GTA6. The game is designed to run on the PS5. Now if it's running at 30fps as the absolute peak framerate you can get on it, then it means that it's really running internally at around 28-40fps. If it's completely CPU limited, then there is very little whatever kinda GPU the PS5pro has can do. So if the PS5pro has a CPU is say 40% faster in IPC period, be it a combination of faster clocks and/or more cache and/or better scheduling.,, whatever. That just means you will at best be able to run the game at about 39-56fps. That's what that 40% uptick would give you on the Pro.

But as I said, unless a game is not very well optimized, game logic is seldom ever the bottleneck to the tune of you being able to run at only 28-40fps to begin with on a zen2 CPU. You may not be able to get it past 65-70fps, but being stuck at sub 35fps period... is a stretch.

Well, at least thats how it's supposed to be, but someone should tell that to the devs.

onQ123

It will actually be easy to get the 2X PS5 Pro performance because a pro console is locked in with the base console while a new generation can use a whole different CPU , GPU , Memory, I/O & so on .

On the bright side there isn't many PS5 games without a 60fps mode & there is a few work arounds that could be in a pro model .

But the best way to sell consoles in the future is letting other people see them being played out & about .

Especially GTA6 so it would be smart ( glass) to get a Xbox branded remote device out in 2025 do not rely on people doing it with just their phones & tablets .

For everything else there will be Switch 2 but people will notice the fact that you're out playing GTA6

ManaByte

Gold Member

8K isn't likely to take off due to lack of content. Cable streaming (YouTube TV, for example) is just now starting to support 4K and only for certain sports channels.

4K is also the "archival" resolution Hollywood is using. Most studios have been spending billions to restore/remaster their entire catalogs in 4K. They're still in the process of it. They're not going to re-do it all in 8K. Disney has done almost their entire catalog, including all of the animated shorts AND Song of the South in 4K just for archival purposes.

Thinking about 8k on a PS5 Pro is completely absurd (for high fidelity games).
New games like Avatar run on 720P internally in Performance mode, a PS5 Pro could do the same in 1080P with the alleged specs.
No one expect 8k for the most demanding games however there are some games that already do native 4k 60 pretty easily on the base model like persona 5, crash bandicoot, and I’m playing Naruto storm connections also native 4k 60 its pretty easy to imagine a pro with a patch could make these games 8k 60 (they support 8k on pc after all)

King Dazzar

I'm not as sceptic about the Pro's promise of 8K resolution gaming as most people here.

It'll be achieved through upscaling techniques, just like the PS4 Pro outputted 4K from 1440p or 1800p internal resolutions. And it is not as if PlayStation's first-party had not building up towards this new optional resolution target for a while now.

Throughout 2018, Polyphony Digital begun to demo GT Sport running at 8K in order to showcase the capabilities of Sony's then upcoming 8K TVs lineup. Some of these demos also ran the title at 120fps, a performance target that some years later was introduced into Gran Turismo 7 for PS5.

That was five years ago when they started to demo GT Sport running in 8K, or six years by the time the PS5 Pro comes out; but going back to the days when 4K was trying to be positioned as the next big thing, Polyphony started showcasing Gran Turismo 5 running at 4K (by using four PS3s) as early as 2008 and more extensively throughout the 2012-2013 season, when Sony's 4K TVs began to make their way into the market. That was either eight or four years before the release of PS4 Pro, depending on how you wanna count it.

I'll believe it when I see it. Sony themselves will need to release an 8k TV which can do both native 8k and HDR first. Both my Sony 8k panel, the Z9J and the more recent Z9K. Can only do full native 8k in SDR. Anything else is an upscale. And it can only do that via an external device i.e it wont even do full native 8k with youtube videos, due to a lack of AV1 codec support. The Samsung 8k TV's can do more in that regard, but they have there own set of issues.

Its possible Sony will release a more capable 8k focused TV next year. But even if they do, just pause for a moment and think how even more niche the PS5 user base will be. Who also own a yet to be released 8k TV. You'll be looking at fractions of a percentage. 8k will remain marketing spin only for now.

Also, even with game upscaling, I truly think you're dreaming if you think thats where the incremental power increase from a PS5 Pro will go. I dont see it. But hey, maybe PS6...

vivftp

where are the december leaks? sony themselves mentioned some leaks this month

No one ever said that info would definitely leak in December, just that folks would expect info could leak in December. Why? Because devkits have apparently been sent out to a wider array of studios, meaning the circle of folks exposed to info on the PS5 Pro has grown considerably and the odds of info leaking have gone up considerably.

It's not like Sony (or anyone else) can predict that someone will definitely leak something at a certain time. All they can do is talk about the odds based on the changing circumstances. So maybe something leaks in December or January or February... or maybe it never leaks.

Perrott

Gold Member
Also, even with game upscaling, I truly think you're dreaming if you think thats where the incremental power increase from a PS5 Pro will go. I dont see it. But hey, maybe PS6...
That's the point of having different graphics modes:
  • Resolution Mode: Upscaled 8K at 30fps with performance mode graphics settings.
  • Quality Mode: Upscaled/Native 4K at 30/40/60fps with higher graphics settings and enhanced raytracing.
  • Performance Mode: Upscaled/Native 4K at 60fps with lower graphics settings and limited raytracing.
  • High Performance Mode: Upscaled 4K at up to 120fps with even lower graphics settings and no raytracing.

King Dazzar

• Resolution Mode: Upscaled 8K at 30fps with performance mode graphics settings.
  • Quality Mode: Upscaled/Native 4K at 30/40/60fps with higher graphics settings and enhanced raytracing.
  • Performance Mode: Upscaled/Native 4K at 60fps with lower graphics settings and limited raytracing.
  • High Performance Mode: Upscaled 4K at up to 120fps with even lower graphics settings and no raytracing.
And what Tv are you going to use?

Also there are simpler to run games like persona and Naruto ninja storm that already easily do 4k 60 on the regular model so it’s very easy to see the pro actually targeting 8k native there (it already supports up to 8k on pc)

Perrott

Gold Member
And what Tv are you going to use?
Perhaps whatever flagship 8K TV that gets announced at CES.

Or maybe the whole point of it, at least over the launch period and until properly-equipped 8K sets arrive, would be to downsample a close-to-8K image down to 4K for better image quality with less artifacts.

Last edited:
8K isn't likely to take off due to lack of content. Cable streaming (YouTube TV, for example) is just now starting to support 4K and only for certain sports channels.

4K is also the "archival" resolution Hollywood is using. Most studios have been spending billions to restore/remaster their entire catalogs in 4K. They're still in the process of it. They're not going to re-do it all in 8K. Disney has done almost their entire catalog, including all of the animated shorts AND Song of the South in 4K just for archival purposes.
8k isn’t that important but for the games that I would expect to be able to do it like persona why not target it

King Dazzar

Perhaps whatever flagship 8K TV that gets announced at CES.

Or maybe the whole point of it, at least over the launch period and until properly-equipped 8K sets arrive, would be to downsample a close-to-8K image down to 4K for better image quality with less artifacts.
Yeah, I've already covered off your first point. And for your second, for me, we're moving goal posts. As we're then talking about super sampling and not 8k gaming.

Anyway, time will tell. I think 8k may well be pushed a lot in marketing. But the reality of games with native 8k performance modes (even with reconstruction) I think is still beyond PS5 Pro, off into the future.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Imo before the industry tries to sell 8k TV sets it should figure out how to use a) a 4k digital intermediate for every production and b) figure out how to do 4k/60fps in a pleasing way.

8k Sets when 99% of CGI in movies is done on a 1080p DI's is a joke. As is 24fps as a format.

Gaming isn't whats going to push 8k, as even 4k needed ML reconstruction and isn't viable natively in most cases.

It’s possible they may enable the pro to support 144hz so performance mode targets that

Nickolaidas

What's the point?

Seriously, if the PS5 games don't get a patch and their framerate/resolution is locked, the PS5 Pro could be 20x times stronger than a PS5. It won't matter on 90% of game which came out in the first four years of the console's lifespan.

You're going to get a 40 TFlop console which will still be unable to play Dark Souls II (PS4 version) at 4K.

Imo before the industry tries to sell 8k TV sets it should figure out how to use a) a 4k digital intermediate for every production and b) figure out how to do 4k/60fps in a pleasing way.

8k Sets when 99% of CGI in movies is done on a 1080p DI's is a joke. As is 24fps as a format.

Gaming isn't whats going to push 8k, as even 4k needed ML reconstruction and isn't viable natively in most cases.
The industry tries to sell 8k TVs for years and the sales are trash because there is almost no native 8k content and even If there will be more content you need a huge screen. 8k is dead and 4k is here to stay.

Yeah, I've already covered off your first point. And for your second, for me, we're moving goal posts. As we're then talking about super sampling and not 8k gaming.

Anyway, time will tell. I think 8k may well be pushed a lot in marketing. But the reality of games with native 8k performance modes (even with reconstruction) I think is still beyond PS5 Pro, off into the future.
Not for all games persona 5 could definitely do 8k on a pro

The industry tries to sell 8k TVs for years and the sales are trash because there is almost no native 8k content and even If there will be more content you need a huge screen. 8k is dead and 4k is here to stay.

I mean thinking about Naruto ninja storm or crash in 8k would be nice. I think 8k will matter more with microled

King Dazzar

Not for all games persona 5 could definitely do 8k on a pro
I'm sure Ori and the Touryst were dabbling around with 8k super sampling iirc at the beginning of this gen. But I still don't think that translates into the PS5 Pro suddenly making 8k gaming the norm or 8k becoming a focus for devs at this time.

twilo99

Only if its gpu limited but seeing as its one of the most interactive/dynamic worlds its going to be very taxing on the cpu meaning zen2 isnt delivering a 60fps upgrade from 30.

Missed opportunity not getting rid of that ancient chip but I guess they have to save something for the PS6

Perrott

Gold Member
But aren’t they targeting the PS5?
And?

They put the effort into making Red Dead Redemption 2 run at a native 4K resolution on the Xbox One X last generation, and that was the least popular SKU of the less successful console ecosystem at the time.

With all their talent and the infinite resources that Rockstar's original projects have at their disposal, they'll 100% take full advantage of everything that the PS5 Pro would be bringing into the table regardless of the capabilities of the Series X|S and the regular PS5.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
So the million dollar question is whether the Pro will be able to run GTA 6 at 60 FPS with all the bells and whistles.
I have almost no doubt that it will.

Is there currently a single game that is CPU-limited to below 60fps on consoles? Hell, the regular PS5 will probably get a Performance Mode that will run decently. PS5 Pro should have no problems.

With all the bells and whistles though, unlikely since that's probably the PC version. They'll never port it to the 9th gen consoles because they'll port it to the 10th gen consoles and ask you for more money if you want the upgrade.

PeteBull

So the million dollar question is whether the Pro will be able to run GTA 6 at 60 FPS with all the bells and whistles.
If u mean gta6 looking like the trailer we all saw and fell in love with and if u mean leaked ps5pr0 specs with just bit upped cpu clock but still old zen2 cpu= no chance, gotta be realistic.
Im hoping for stable 1440p30 tho :D

I think the right question should not be if GTA6 could run on PS5 Pro at 60fps because I am convinced it could (with right amount of optimizations).

But are they going to make such a mode on PS5 Pro (assuming there isn't a 60fps on base console)? Maybe they'll prefer keep that mode for the double dip PC edition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom