• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS5 Pro Codenamed "Trinity" targeting Late 2024 (some alleged specs leaked)

Would you upgrade from your current PS5?

• For sure

Votes: 377 41.0%
  • Probably

Votes: 131 14.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 127 13.8%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 140 15.2%
  • Not a chance

Votes: 145 15.8%

• Total voters
I want PS3 era Sony to return as far as custom hardware I really hope the rumored custom Sony RT is true because these comparisons this generation are so boring they've basically made the same hardware regardless of spec I guess that's the unfortunate logical outcome since they're using the same vendor and released at the same time. If the only way Microsoft and Sony can diverge is by releasing a year apart then I'm sorry that's just boring to me I wish one would just switch to Nvidia you be like Apple and go damn near fully customized

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Why are you guys even talking about the next Xbox? I swear, some people can't help but go crazy whenever the prospect of a new console is on the horizon. PS5 Pro will match a 4080? RT performance better than a 7900 XTX? Potentially close to the next-gen Xbox? Fucking come on guys. It's like you never learn.

The PS5 Pro is meant to be a beefed up PS5. It's not some super next-gen machine meant to blow you away and take graphics to the next level. It's meant to do what the PS5 does but better.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
For the crowd who saying ps5pr0 will be not like in the leak, look carefully what kepler corrected, only one small thing- not 56 cu but 60cu active out of 64 on full die, that is all, nothing else, all other specs he confirms.
Nah, he debunked the entire thing: on top of disputing the CU count (and confirming it was 60CUs active), he called bullshit upon the downclocked GPU frequency (2ghz).

Again, no. In Alan Wake 2, it's GPU-limited. Avatar? GPU-limited. Spider-Man 2? It can hit 60fps no problem. It hits a CPU wall. Jedi Survivor? You bet. GPU-limited. Once they added the mode without RT, it stuck to 60fps without a problem.

The hell you mean for once "defending" the PS5? "Bat for the Pro"? What is this fanboy drivel? I don't defend anything. I'm merely sating the truth.

And no, its biggest issue is almost always the GPU. 95% of games are GPU-limited, not CPU-limited. As I said, 60fps is easy as hell to reach and there are cheapass CPUs that are twice the performance of the PS5's. 60fps isn't hard to reach at all.

Why do you think budget builds recommend low-end CPUs like the 12400f (still much faster than the console CPUs) that easily hit 60fps and beyond? Because the CPU is almost never the bottleneck, especially not at 60 which is piss-easy to run.

Find me those games that are CPU-limited on consoles that aren't BG3 or Flight Sim 2020. The list is incredibly short. To top it all off, consoles tend to run much lower settings than PC's high preset in their performance modes, further lightening CPU load.

And dude, there is a multi-quote function. Why do you post 10 times in a row?
You usually condemn the consoles for its weaknesses so it’s very out of character for you to now say a spec from them is good especially when it’s absolutely not even a hardcore ps fanboy condemns the cpu so why are you of all people saying it’s good when you should know its deficiencies

I don't think Sony even knew of any plans for next Xbox console coming 2025/2026 at the time of PS5 Pro development.

Anyways I'm still kind of puzzled with MS plan. GTA VI is on track to launch early 2025, 2026 will be too late. It's either 2025 or bust to give them a fighting chance of mass adoption between Nextbox and PS6 time period.
Not early in development they would have learned it end of 2021 beginning of 2022

I think Gotham Knights and Starfield can’t reach 60fps due to cpu limitations. But yeah you’re right, there’s hardly any games on consoles which can’t reach 60fps due to cpu limitations. I also think that Rockstar are much better at software engineering than the guys who made Gotham Knights or Bethesda so they should be able to optimise the cpu use of GTA6 much better than those games. But I guess it also may depend on the complexity of their physics systems and how many npcs etc. they put into an environment at any one time. I guess we’ll see.
If it matters I do think gta6 would be able to do a 60fps mode on pro but something like last of us 3 definitely wouldn’t if it’s using zen 2

shamoomoo

Why are you guys even talking about the next Xbox? I swear, some people can't help but go crazy whenever the prospect of a new console is on the horizon. PS5 Pro will match a 4080? RT performance better than a 7900 XTX? Potentially close to the next-gen Xbox? Fucking come on guys. It's like you never learn.

The PS5 Pro is meant to be a beefed up PS5. It's not some super next-gen machine meant to blow you away and take graphics to the next level. It's meant to do what the PS5 does but better.
Outside of extra cost,the Pro is a closed system. The fact the PS2 ketp up with the OG Xbox even though that system was almost 2 years is beyond ridiculous. Granted, there were some conditions that made the PS2 more favorable to the GameCube and Xbox.

Trust me when I say this, don't waste your time on this nutcase he will never listen to you or anyone regarding the PS5 Pro and I've lost count of the amount of time I've told him how to multi quote.

Donald Trump GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
Because defending zen 2 is ridiculous

Specs wise it could be visible difference, ps4pr0 vs xbox one x was 4,2 vs 6tf, ofc most games didnt take advantage of that coz xbox had much lower instal base so it wasnt worth it for the devs to work on xbox one x version too much, some did, for example rdr2, thats how the difference was/is .
First lets see that ps5pr0 tho, we still have no clue whats in there.

Pretty sure its all newest info we got, from not even 2weeks ago, which suggest ps5pr0 will be downclocked rx7800xt still with zen2 cpu just bit higher clocks(makes sense, base ps5 was on 7nm, if ps5pr0 launches made on 4nm obviously they can bump up cpu clocks).

For the crowd who saying ps5pr0 will be not like in the leak, look carefully what kepler corrected, only one small thing- not 56 cu but 60cu active out of 64 on full die, that is all, nothing else, all other specs he confirms.

Here is the gpu in question guys, we got access to its specs/perf in games, both raster and rt, and how it stacks up vs gpu's similar to ps5 base, and all other gpu's on pc market

2 super important things, amd is making it on 5nm, and gpu alone has tdp of 263W, so if its gonna be made in 2024 on 4nm obviously it will take less power, and it needs to, whole ps5pr0 console likely gonnabe in range of 220-250W(more likely 220), so for this gpu on its own get likely in the 180-200W range some downclock will be needed, hence our extrapolation about it being 10 maybe 15% slower from actual already accessible card.

TLDR.
Conclusion is clear- keep ur expectactions realistic, it will still be most powerful mashine on console market, by far, and very worth of 600usd, but dont expect 80cu juggernaut combined with zen4 cpu, that would be at least 800usd msrp- u, me and many hardcore ppl would love/buy it right away, but sony will go with very mild/conservative specs bump this time.

We should also stop believing leaks especially when the specs aren’t even completely finalized at the moment we know they update the specs somewhat in the dev kits especially when there are several months to release

Specs wise it could be visible difference, ps4pr0 vs xbox one x was 4,2 vs 6tf, ofc most games didnt take advantage of that coz xbox had much lower instal base so it wasnt worth it for the devs to work on xbox one x version too much, some did, for example rdr2, thats how the difference was/is .
First lets see that ps5pr0 tho, we still have no clue whats in there.

Pretty sure its all newest info we got, from not even 2weeks ago, which suggest ps5pr0 will be downclocked rx7800xt still with zen2 cpu just bit higher clocks(makes sense, base ps5 was on 7nm, if ps5pr0 launches made on 4nm obviously they can bump up cpu clocks).

Here is the gpu in question guys, we got access to its specs/perf in games, both raster and rt, and how it stacks up vs gpu's similar to ps5 base, and all other gpu's on pc market

2 super important things, amd is making it on 5nm, and gpu alone has tdp of 263W, so if its gonna be made in 2024 on 4nm obviously it will take less power, and it needs to, whole ps5pr0 console likely gonnabe in range of 220-250W(more likely 220), so for this gpu on its own get likely in the 180-200W range some downclock will be needed, hence our extrapolation about it being 10 maybe 15% slower from actual already accessible card.

TLDR.
Conclusion is clear- keep ur expectactions realistic, it will still be most powerful mashine on console market, by far, and very worth of 600usd, but dont expect 80cu juggernaut combined with zen4 cpu, that would be at least 800usd msrp- u, me and many hardcore ppl would love/buy it right away, but sony will go with very mild/conservative specs bump this time.

This isn’t worth 600
There will be plenty left for ps6 in 2028, ps5pr0 is just mild specs bump, same cpu just bit bumped clock.

If ps5pr0 vs ps5base is 60% raster/2x rt and dunno 20-30% higher clocks on zen2 cpu then ps6 might be zen 5 or 6, and gpu wise it could be above rtx 4090 range(not saying 2x as strong but maybe 40-50% stronger?)

All depends on avaiable tech by that time, and just as we extrapolated for ps4/pr0/ps5/pr0 we will see whats avaiable top tech from amd, then we will put it into realistic console box form factor, and voila, specs gonna be guessed/roughly estimated .
ps6 would be zen 7 or zen 8 (depending on if it comes out 2028 or 2029) zen 5 would be terrible then

Gaiff

Outside of extra cost,the Pro is a closed system. The fact the PS2 ketp up with the OG Xbox even though that system was almost 2 years is beyond ridiculous. Granted, there were some conditions that made the PS2 more favorable to the GameCube and Xbox.
It didn't. Unless you mean Xbox having games that looked and ran much better was keeping up.

PeteBull

This isn’t worth 600

ps6 would be zen 7 or zen 8 (depending on if it comes out 2028 or 2029) zen 5 would be terrible then
Bro, u are sitting/posting in ps5pr0 specs/hype thread with all of us here, its worth it for me, u and every1 here, we will buy it if not day one then latested when gta6 launches.

Lets speculate about ps6 once we got ps5pr0 in our dirty hands, from there we will know jump should be 2,5-3x roughly, gpu wise, cpu wise probably too xD

welshrat

Bro, u are sitting/posting in ps5pr0 specs/hype thread with all of us here, its worth it for me, u and every1 here, we will buy it if not day one then latested when gta6 launches.

Lets speculate about ps6 once we got ps5pr0 in our dirty hands, from there we will know jump should be 2,5-3x roughly, gpu wise, cpu wise probably too xD
100% this. If you don't think it's worth it then don't buy it, we don't care. That's consumer choice. Personally it's day 1 for me and I am more than happy with the proposed specs, anything else is icing.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
For me, I mean I never upgraded to PS4 Pro, and it never hampered me with my game time. I am sure the new PS5 is going to be a beast, but I'll stick with the one I have. It'll do me good and will carry me into PS6 cross-gen lol

Specs wise it could be visible difference, ps4pr0 vs xbox one x was 4,2 vs 6tf

Some people were claiming 100% more powerful than ps5 pro which I find highly unlikely when both will be 4nm

I suppose 50% more, like One X, is possible, and the difference may be perceptible…but again, 1-2 years later, more expensive, and right before next gen starts.

MS just isn’t good with timing. I’m going to upgrade to a ps5 pro but just keep my series X for GamePass and MS exclusives and wait for ps6

Some people were claiming 100% more powerful than ps5 pro which I find highly unlikely when both will be 4nm

I suppose 50% more, like One X, is possible, and the difference may be perceptible…but again, 1-2 years later, more expensive, and right before next gen starts.

MS just isn’t good with timing. I’m going to upgrade to a ps5 pro but just keep my series X for GamePass and MS exclusives and wait for ps6
Exactly. On 4nm they won't be able to do miracles, particularly using static clocks as expected and still on the same RDNA4-5 tech. On the other hand you can be sure Sony is going to overclock their APU to the limit and their narrow and fast design is again going to shine in most engines.

Microsoft could do 3nm in 2025 but first it's going to be crazy expensive and second TSMC are likely going to allocate their production to Nvidia. And we are not still 100% sure TSMC will be able to do 3nm by 2025 (at mass production volumes). Or they could wait another year and release the thing in 2026 but in 2026 we'll all be on the starting hype train for PS6 scheduled to arrive in 2028.

Last edited:

Et3rn1ty

Neo Member
It seems the best strategy for xbox is launching a new xbox in mid 25 ,the same time gta vi launces,and in 2028 when ps6 starts to roll ,a new pro version to follow, to compete or even pass sony in the name of most powerful console...
Any other way doesnt seems to have a logical meaning....

PeteBull

Yup, coz then if u are sony fan u wait 1year after xbox next launch and u already gonna get fed some srs hype from cerny about ps6 that undoubtfully gonna dwarf next xbox.

On top of that we know full well how first 2years of next gen look in terms of games, aka many crossgen titles, so we really wont be missing out on much, our ps5pr0 will be just fine till holidays 2028, then sony goes for the juggular with ps6 and microsoft is left with nothing again, not even tflop/power advantage this time :p

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sony did some magic stuff with the ps5 that people didn't expect, which allowed them to get on par to the series x in more or less every way. I'm not saying they can do the same with the pro, but I wouldn't put it passed them to do something surprising. They have the chops for it.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

Ms got fucked by Covid at the worse possible moment, I think. And with bad cards, wanting to play the next game as soon as possible can be understandable, even if baffling. I think that they are not that stupid and that now that all of MS is behind Xbox a lot more ressources will be used to better plan for the future. A early next gen console for enthusiasts, if put together with cheap Series S and X, can work good enough to wait until the PS6, as long as they commit to another console not too long after. I am not sure if they are ready to invest heavily on hardware so soon after their losses on the Series S/X strategy, but compared to ABK, this would be peanuts. The question is more about how can they put games for the Series S and this new console without one of them getting shit ports?

Also, I do think that if Microsoft launch two years later than pro they need to start next gen early and go all out on spec.

I agree. The Xbox One X that I own is pretty much useless now, and I think it was just a knee jerk reaction to PS4Pro. There is a large power gap between a 1.3 TFLOP vanilla and 6 TFLOP, and sadly One X was underutilized, and games were not made from the ground up for that machine because being shackled by the 1.3 TFLOP vanilla. The cross-gen game development is really paralyzing due the base vanilla.

The PS4Pro in laymen's terms (i admit i may not fully understand the technical specs) is slightly beefed-up jaguar and Polaris with parts of Vega, same RAM but with slightly higher bandwidth and it was enough to give it that 60fps performance mode with not even true 4k (checkerboarding). We can infer from this, that PS5Pro will be similar upgrade: minor boost to tip over to reaching 4k 60fps with raytracing.

RDNA 2 for PC was not released before Series X/S and PS5, and I think MSFT is making a smart move not releasing a Pro and working with RDNA 5/Zen5 ahead of time to get it truly next gen ready before or same time as PC release is a smart thing, because they have a Windows ecosystem to support with a huge push for AI which requires NPU hardware acceleration (Windows 12). I think they might be using PCIE 6, GDDR7, Wifi7, USB 4.0 or higher. I don't think it's feasible to copy Sony and Nintendo anymore and have to take a broader and more universal support to game development and publishing instead of special niche hardware. It works for Sony and Nintendo but not for MSFT. I have a feeling there is a whole lot more to come for gaming from MSFT due drastically beefed-up ARM hardware coming from NVIDIA, Qualcomm, AMD. I think MSFT strategically is going a completely different route, and this Sony vs MSFT thing is going to be gone forever by them being in their own turfs and doing their own thing.

Also, I do think that if Microsoft launch two years later than pro they need to start next gen early and go all out on spec.

They cannot launch next gen early. There’s a reason MS and Sony release at the same time the last two gens, since it coincides with a major node shrink at scale production

They release them at the earliest time they can to introduce a big improvement

Last edited:
I agree. The Xbox One X that I own is pretty much useless now, and I think it was just a knee jerk reaction to PS4Pro. There is a large power gap between a 1.3 TFLOP vanilla and 6 TFLOP, and sadly One X was underutilized, and games were not made from the ground up for that machine because being shackled by the 1.3 TFLOP vanilla. The cross-gen game development is really paralyzing due the base vanilla.

The PS4Pro in laymen's terms (i admit i may not fully understand the technical specs) is slightly beefed-up jaguar and Polaris with parts of Vega, same RAM but with slightly higher bandwidth and it was enough to give it that 60fps performance mode with not even true 4k (checkerboarding). We can infer from this, that PS5Pro will be similar upgrade: minor boost to tip over to reaching 4k 60fps with raytracing.

RDNA 2 for PC was not released before Series X/S and PS5, and I think MSFT is making a smart move not releasing a Pro and working with RDNA 5/Zen5 ahead of time to get it truly next gen ready before or same time as PC release is a smart thing, because they have a Windows ecosystem to support with a huge push for AI which requires NPU hardware acceleration (Windows 12). I think they might be using PCIE 6, GDDR7, Wifi7, USB 4.0 or higher. I don't think it's feasible to copy Sony and Nintendo anymore and have to take a broader and more universal support to game development and publishing instead of special niche hardware. It works for Sony and Nintendo but not for MSFT. I have a feeling there is a whole lot more to come for gaming from MSFT due drastically beefed-up ARM hardware coming from NVIDIA, Qualcomm, AMD. I think MSFT strategically is going a completely different route, and this Sony vs MSFT thing is going to be gone forever by them being in their own turfs and doing their own thing.
Zen 5 is planned to be on TSMC 3nm so it would be too early in 2025. Now RDNA5: Based on previous AMD tech the biggest step will be with RDNA4 BVH RT hardware (that PS5 Pro will very likely have). RDNA5 will be a smaller step, like RDNA3 was compared to RDNA2. And for Zen 4 (likely the best tech available for a console in 2025) they will have to cripple the caches again and performance won't be close to the desktop models.

Then AI hardware to do what? What did MS do with XSX available machine learning hardware?

My point is that a 2025 release date won't be a next-gen console, it will be a beefy mid-gen upgrade and likely much smaller than the 1.3tf vs 6tf gap we had with XB1 - X1X.

Last edited:
Zen 5 is planned to be on TSMC 3nm so it would be too early in 2025. Now RDNA5: Based on previous AMD tech the biggest step will be with RDNA4 BVH RT hardware (that PS5 Pro will very likely have). RDNA5 will be a smaller step, like RDNA3 was compared to RDNA2. And for Zen 4 (likely the best tech available for a console in 2025) they will have to cripple the caches again and performance won't be close to the desktop models.

Then AI hardware to do what? What did MS do with XSX available machine learning hardware?

My point is that a 2025 release date won't be a next-gen console, it will be a beefy mid-gen upgrade and likely much smaller than the 1.3tf vs 6tf gap we had with XB1 - X1X.

I'm not sure (noob here), I don't think it's an NPU though, and NPU performance is measured in "TOPS". Thats the one thing I am noticing with Sony, is that they make sure their Pro Consoles don't have large gaps with their Vanilla consoles. This proved to be pretty disastrous with MSFT. I still can't make sense of Series S vs X, that's a large power gap too, although when you do make games for Series X, you have to make it for S.

How many tflops would that be?

rocketleague

Neo Member
There will be plenty left for ps6 in 2028, ps5pr0 is just mild specs bump, same cpu just bit bumped clock.

If ps5pr0 vs ps5base is 60% raster/2x rt and dunno 20-30% higher clocks on zen2 cpu then ps6 might be zen 5 or 6, and gpu wise it could be above rtx 4090 range(not saying 2x as strong but maybe 40-50% stronger?)

All depends on avaiable tech by that time, and just as we extrapolated for ps4/pr0/ps5/pr0 we will see whats avaiable top tech from amd, then we will put it into realistic console box form factor, and voila, specs gonna be guessed/roughly estimated .
yeah its all fun and games until they hit a wall with gpu development. consoles won't servive long. ps6 probably is the last gen I think

PeteBull

How many tflops would that be?
I gave u link to rx 7800xt, u can see how powerful it is https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7800-xt.c3839 just compare to other pc gpu's keeping ind mind it will lose likely 10-15% performance coz of console form factor aka it wont be able to have 263W tdp

ps5 gpu usually is as strong as 2070s to 2080, best case scenario, u can extrapolate from that too

Edit: 2070s= 100%
6700xt that is superior to both ps5 and xsx gpu in every aspect=120%
7800xt aka base for ps5pr0 before underclock/undervolt/putting it on APU(so gpu+cpu on 1 chip)= 178%
7900xtx(currently best amd has to offer=268%
4090(current bis, from nvidia and overall godlike gpu)=333%

Last edited:
Richard Leadbetter at DF is officially in panic mode about the PS5 Pro and has officialy started to hype a true next-gen Microsoft console to be released in 2026 using 2028 (alien?) technology. It's pure fantasy / science fiction stuff. :messenger_alien:

All of that stuff happening in that slide is going to be compressed down to accomodate a 2026 launch...there are ways you could accelerate the architecture design, stuff like that, stuff happening at AMD that Microsoft could piggy back on rather than going for the sort of more traditional custom SOC... In term of getting a 2026 console ahead of Sony in 2028 I can see that there could be good reasons...pace of technological advancement is slowing down... The console you could make in 2026 needn't to be that less powerful than a console you make in 2028

John is very skeptical about this and thinks it would be no different than what happened with X1X with games needing to run on XSS and XSX.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Richard Leadbetter at DF is officially in panic mode about the PS5 Pro and has officialy started to hype a true next-gen Microsoft console to be released in 2026 using 2028 (alien?) technology. It's pure fantasy / science fiction stuff. :messenger_alien:

John is very skeptical about this and thinks it would be no different than what happened with X1X with games needing to run on XSS and XSX.

Jesus just look at that slide. Yeah forget about 2025. Even 2026 is suspect but hey hats off if they can pull it off.

Fa7FyMK.jpg

You keep informing everyone in this thread that the ps5 pro will be $600 without a disc drive. We only have 1 prior data point to go off, ps4 pro - in that case the price of the pro was the same as the launch price of the ps4.

Why are you so insistent that during rough economic times that the half-gen console is going to be priced as a super-premium device? It doesn't make financial sense to me, but perhaps you are an insider with some information you'd like to share with the class?
Because of the current price of the ps5 and the expectations I could have entertained $550 but I think they are going for an even value they don’t have competition in the pro space this time so that as well.

Jesus just look at that slide. Yeah forget about 2025. Even 2026 is suspect but hey hats off if they can pull it off.

Fa7FyMK.jpg
Yeah the rumors are wild and make 0 sense it's not as if these leaks are THAT old, if indeed it's true that they've shifted plans that abruptly then it's their last ditch effort before bowing out of hardware and Phil's leaked emails of them leaving the console space by 2027 if GP subs can't reach a certain number is happening in real-time because I just do see it working it'll be a dreamcast scenario all over again with people being content with playstation until PS6 because of the digital libraries & cross-gen it's actually even worse this time around, the days of doing another 360 are over.

I gave u link to rx 7800xt, u can see how powerful it is https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7800-xt.c3839 just compare to other pc gpu's keeping ind mind it will lose likely 10-15% performance coz of console form factor aka it wont be able to have 263W tdp

ps5 gpu usually is as strong as 2070s to 2080, best case scenario, u can extrapolate from that too

Edit: 2070s= 100%
6700xt that is superior to both ps5 and xsx gpu in every aspect=120%
7800xt aka base for ps5pr0 before underclock/undervolt/putting it on APU(so gpu+cpu on 1 chip)= 178%
7900xtx(currently best amd has to offer=268%
4090(current bis, from nvidia and overall godlike gpu)=333%

Close to 2x ps5 should be pretty good with the architectural improvements

Last edited:

SABRE220

At 1440p with multiple RT applications, it absolutely is.

Source? Many of the game systems people believe are CPU intensive, are actually executed on GPU as they have become significantly faster over the generations.
That is an absolute hail mary assumption, comprehensive rt implementations only increases the workload on the CPU. Every game is different and we saw with baldurs gate 3 that if you're cpu limited no amount of GPU power will get you consistent 60fps at1080p,1440p or 4k.

Its an educated guess, the last gta released hammered the console cpus to the point they regularly dropped into low 20fps. Rockstar go,s above and beyond when it comes to making their world feel alive, many of the systems that can only be done on the cpu are believed to be a cakewalk to transfer over to the GPU in the eyes of many people but that does not make it true either. Yes several tasks can be split between the GPU and the cpu but there is a reason we saw an massive gap between the performances of even a mid range zen3 cpu and the console cpus as showcased by the digital foundry comparison.

Anchovie123

As some of us here have speculated DF say that the clock speed of the rumored PS5 Pro GPU spec doesn't make sense as it would conflict with backwards compatibility, so the teraflop calculations here are likely way off.

38:09

Gaiff

That is an absolute hail mary assumption, comprehensive rt implementations only increases the workload on the CPU. Every game is different and we saw with baldurs gate 3 that if you're cpu limited no amount of GPU power will get you consistent 60fps at1080p,1440p or 4k.

Its an educated guess, the last gta released hammered the console cpus to the point they regularly dropped into low 20fps. Rockstar go,s above and beyond when it comes to making their world feel alive, many of the systems that can only be done on the cpu are believed to be a cakewalk to transfer over to the GPU in the eyes of many people but that does not make it true either. Yes several tasks can be split between the GPU and the cpu but there is a reason we saw an massive gap between the performances of even a mid range zen3 cpu and the console cpus as showcased by the digital foundry comparison.
The last GTA is originally a PS360 game. It isn't CPU-intensive at all, but the mobile Jaguar cores of the consoles were so trash that they couldn't get 60fps.

Here it is running on old-as-shit Sandy Bridge (i7-2700K), a CPU from 2011.

Last edited:

Lineman is basically PCMR now. His disdain whenever console stuff is brought up is plain to see. He wasn't slightest bit interested in GOWR Valhalla, and actually looked pained when Leadbetter was saying how brilliant it is. Give it another few months and he'll be as blatantly biased as Battaglia is.

He's a hypocrite anyway. For a dude who rants about the demise of physical media every other day, he's remarkably ok about using a platform that hasn't seen discs for many a year. Same as he seems to believe good TVs start and finish with LG simply because he owns one, and he gets incredibly spiky on social media if people mention far better sets such as Sony A95L.

Dude is definitely a 'finger in the ear and go la-la-la' if there's something he doesn't want to hear.

SABRE220

The last GTA is originally a PS360 game. It isn't CPU-intensive at all, but the mobile Jaguar cores of the consoles were so trash that they couldn't get 60fps.

I meant on the consoles it was developed on...it was very cpu intensive for that generation, it would ofcourse be reasonable for cpus generations beyond its development.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Lineman is basically PCMR now. His disdain whenever console stuff is brought up is plain to see. He wasn't slightest bit interested in GOWR Valhalla, and actually looked pained when Leadbetter was saying how brilliant it is. Give it another few months and he'll be as blatantly biased as Battaglia is.

He's a hypocrite anyway. For a dude who rants about the demise of physical media every other day, he's remarkably ok about using a platform that hasn't seen discs for many a year. Same as he seems to believe good TVs start and finish with LG simply because he owns one, and he gets incredibly spiky on social media if people mention far better sets such as Sony A95L.

Dude is definitely a 'finger in the ear and go la-la-la' if there's something he doesn't want to hear.
Yes, everyone is out to get Sony.

I meant on the consoles it was developed on...it was very cpu intensive for that generation, it would ofcourse be reasonable for cpus generations beyond its development.
How could it not be CPU-intensive? The PS360 were 7 and 8 years old when GTA V came out. Everything was a performance bottleneck and it's nothing short of miraculous that it ran on 256MB of RAM.

I have no doubt that GTA VI will be quite demanding on the CPU, perhaps even enough to make the consoles struggle to hit 60fps in CPU-bound scenarios but by and large, they should be able to maintain 60fps when CPU-limited. That would still make it much more demanding than most modern games on the CPU side. If it completely fails to reach 60 because of the CPU, then GTA VI will have CPU demands almost twice as high as most games and I don't see that happening.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

As some of us here have speculated DF say that the clock speed of the rumored PS5 Pro GPU spec doesn't make sense as it would conflict with backwards compatibility, so the teraflop calculations here are likely way off.

38:09

No it wouldn't. If the Pro does have 60+ CUs,it would disable some and increase the clocks to be like the PS5.

Elios83

No it wouldn't. If the Pro does have 60+ CUs,it would disable some and increase the clocks to be like the PS5.

It doesn't make any sense.
PS5 is designed with a fast and narrow philosophy.
Raising the number of CUs just to decrease the clock would just result in switching to a slow and wide GPU design.
If we look at the number of CUs 54-60 is not a high number, XSX already had 52 in 2020, the high end AMD GPUs for the PC market already have what, over 90?
54-60CUs would basically confirm they're continuing, as it's obvious given it's the same platform, with their fast and narrow design philosophy.
That 2GHz rumor is just fake.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

It doesn't make any sense.
PS5 is designed with a fast and narrow philosophy.
Raising the number of CUs just to decrease the clock would just result in switching to a slow and wide GPU design.
If we look at the number of CUs 54-60 is not a high number, XSX already had 52 in 2020, the high end AMD GPUs for the PC market already have what, over 90?
54-60CUs would basically confirm they're continuing, as it's obvious given it's the same platform, with their fast and narrow design philosophy.
That 2GHz rumor is just fake.
Assuming the Pro is still clocked at 2 GHz, it would still be relatively fast and having over 36 CUs means they could maintain BC with the PS5 because the difference in frequency would be small.

shamoomoo

We don't know have fast the PS4 actually ran GTA 5, it's definitely would be under 60 but it could be over 30 fps.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Assuming the Pro is still clocked at 2 GHz, it would still be relatively fast and having over 36 CUs means they could maintain BC with the PS5 because the difference in frequency would be small.
The problem is all the HW that does not scale with the CU’s, the shared HW that would now be downclocked and performing worse than the base PS5 (whether or not it was too fast than needed on PS5 or not I do not know, but it would seem to be pain they do not need when making a Pro console… I am curious to see what they learned after making PS4 Pro and seeing how devs used it).

Top Bottom