• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor : CNBC: Sony to release a PS5 Pro this year

1 - because the ps5 pro is already weak compared to PC when it's not released even. So what's the point ? Especially in the eye of a PC gamer.
2- 500$ every 2 years ? Oh I wish if it was that low number lol.
It's weak compared to a PC which is vastly more expensive, but its still going to give a nocticeable bump for Playstation players at a reasonable cost.

He needs to get out of his PC bubble for a second and realize why this would make sense for people who don't want to invest in an expensive PC, but still want a better experience than what the current consoles are offering. There really is no negative, especially when you can sell your current PS5 and put that money towards a Pro. You can easily get $300 for a PS5 right now. If PS5 Pro sells for $599 then that is 50% the cost right there.

There so many games with unlocked frame rates that are begging for a Pro console to take advantage of.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

It's weak compared to a PC which is vastly more expensive, but its still going to give a nocticeable bump for Playstation players at a reasonable cost.

He needs to get out of his PC bubble for a second and realize why this would make sense for people who don't want to invest in an expensive PC, but still want a better experience than what the current consoles are offering. There really is no negative, especially when you can sell your current PS5 and put that money towards a Pro. You can easily get $300 for a PS5 right now. If PS5 Pro sells for $599 then that is 50% the cost right there.

There so many games with unlocked frame rates that are begging for a Pro console to take advantage of.
Agreed.

But Sony did a half ass job with the PS4 pro. I don't have high faith in them.
Especially when it comes to the already released games to get patch upgrade for free. Sony is greedy.

Not to mention they are cutting costs. So I am not expecting it to be well built like the ps5 fat was.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Mid gen systems should have no drawbacks. If you want it, buy it/trade in for it. If you dont want it, stick with playing PS5 (or buy it as a cheaper model if you dont have it yet). Options are good.

The problem you get are early adopter jealous gamers who dont like other console gamers moving up to a Pro system. They want to stick wit the OG system they bought 4 years ago and dont like some gamers in the same ecosystem blowing by them with a better model.

Their view is when it comes to PC gaming, anyone can upgrade. When it comes to console gaming nobody can upgrade.

//DEVIL//

In what way?

It was affordable and doubled your performance, roughly.
games it supported. many high profile games were released during that era that didn't get patched to support the pro. some of the games were published by sony even like bloodborne etc.

the hardware design it self was shit. it was a jet engine loud.

like the whole thing was not super great. ( i bought 2 of them, spider man edition and death stranding one too ). both were just ugh

Last edited:
games it supported. many high profile games was released during that era that didnt get patched to support the pro. some of the games were published by sony even like bloodborne etc.

the hardware design it self was shit. it was a jet engine loud.

like the whole thing was not super great. ( i bought 2 of them, spider man edition and death stranding one too ). both were just ugh
But you bought them. I mean... you bought shit... twice....

bender

What time is it?
games it supported. many high profile games was released during that era that didnt get patched to support the pro. some of the games were published by sony even like bloodborne etc.

That's always going to be an issue. Sony could be more forward looking and force developers to include standard options for every game that would be beneficial down the line (unlocked frame rates, etc.) but most developers aren't going to go back and and patch their games and if they do, it will be quick and dirty and not something that would take full advantage of the hardware. Maybe if Sony allows developers to charge for Pro upgrade patches so developers could get some ROI. It's part of the reason why I think Pro consoles are a bad deal, especially as an upgrade option for existing owners. Further, I do think it introduces some confidence issues for Sony, With how much they've leaned into free and paid upgrades of PS4 games, not to mention remasters from the previous generation, it's already a bit iffy for when to jump into any given game as a better version probably isn't that far off. Further mudding the waters with hardware just compounds the problem. Personally, if I PS5 Pro is announced, I'm skipping that release as well as the PS6 base model and my next upgrade will be the PS6 Pro.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's always going to be an issue. Sony could be more forward looking and force developers to include standard options for every game that would be beneficial down the line (unlocked frame rates, etc.) but most developers aren't going to go back and and patch their games and if they do, it will be quick and dirty and not something that would take full advantage of the hardware. Maybe if Sony allows developers to charge for Pro upgrade patches so developers could get some ROI. It's part of the reason why I think Pro consoles are a bad deal, especially as an upgrade option for existing owners. Further, I do think it introduces some confidence issues for Sony, With how much they've leaned into free and paid upgrades of PS4 games, not to mention remasters from the previous generation, it's already a bit iffy for when to jump into any given game as a better version probably isn't that far off. Further mudding the waters with hardware just compounds the problem. Personally, if I PS5 Pro is announced, I'm skipping that release as well as the PS6 base model and my next upgrade will be the PS6 Pro.
I'm all for mid gen refreshes by any maker, but the problem with Sony is that given their only refresh PS4 Pro, it wasnt a great upgrade. So core gamers can have a precedent in mind.

It's better than PS4 OG and would get better res, usually better frames, and better textures, but the boost wasnt drastic. And to boot the system was even larger than OG. On the other hand, One X was a huge upgrade. Much more powerful, 4k optical drive, it could automatically backwards boost 360/One games and somehow the form factor was smaller than both Xbox OG and PS4 systems.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Take DD2 for example, we need more power because we aren't getting greatly optimized games

R2r1zKv.png
On the other hand, we have Spiderman 2 with a 60fps ray-tracing mode, something Gaf was claiming was impossible on PS5.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'm all for mid gen refreshes by any maker, but the problem with Sony is that given their only refresh PS4 Pro, it wasnt a great upgrade. So core gamers can have a precedent in mind.

It's better than PS4 OG and would get better res, usually better frames, and better textures, but the boost wasnt drastic. And to boot the system was even larger than OG. On the other hand, One X was a huge upgrade. Much more powerful, 4k optical drive, it could automatically backwards boost 360/One games and somehow the form factor was smaller than both Xbox OG and PS4 systems.

One X came out a year later than the Pro and the base One was weaker than base PS4 so the leap felt larger and should obviously should have. I don't remember the boost details of One games (I'm sure it benefited them in framerate and maybe resolution for games using variable resolutions, but I believe One games needed work to be enabled for One X "enhancements". The previous generation enhancements, while great, were put in place to garner good will and try to dig out of last place and it is a program that Microsoft has already abandoned. I'd love to see Sony do something similar, minus the abandonment, but I wouldn't put money on them doing it. Microsoft also has some niceties like smart delivery. My customer confidence mentioned above has more to do with Sony as they make it harder to decide when to jump in from both a software and hardware perspective (assuming PS5 Pro is real).

StereoVsn

In what way?

It was affordable and doubled your performance, roughly.
Only on GPU side. CPU was the same shit mobile netbook job. And it looks like Sony is going to repeat the CPU underperformance with PS5 Pro as well.

Mind you, PS4 Pro was still worth it (mostly, the jet sound was a downside) for the upgrades it brought.

Same is going to hold for PS5 Pro, it’s just a shame Sony are not putting in newer CPU cores in there.

hussar16

I get it 3 years after launch but for ps5 it is to soon. I'm sure sony are not losing money on release ps5 pro anyway but people won't be going for it like the ps4 pro did. It feels like ps5 didn't hit running until 2022 with all the scalpers shortages

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I know. I never said I am not part of the problem lol.

and I know the PS5 pro is weak already compared to my pc. but I know ill buy it too. I am not gonna settle for an inferior version. but that doesn't mean I don't speak the truth about it lol.
It's not to be compared to some pc. It's meant to be compared to the PS5. Does it offer a good enough jump to justify the higher price? How much did you spend on your PC by the way?

Top Bottom