• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s stock value drop by about $10b after lowering PS5’s sales forecast for the fiscal year, analysts question near decade-low profit margin

You can't release a statement stating that there will be no 1st party games release until 2025, and not expect margins to dip to record lows! Whatever happened to Sony stating that they were going to release 1 first party game every quarter? Release quality games on a regular basis, and systems will sell. Sony needs to stop spending $250 million plus making one game when a game like Ghost of Tsushima only cost $40 million.

AREYOUOKAY?

4aGn9q8.png
fO8wib0.jpg

They are all the same to me.

twilo99

You notice the Xbox console sales are lagging behind? Xbox has the MS warchest to fund these moves. Sony cannot afford to kill their console sales right now. Look at the hit they just took. Now imagine their sales were closer to Xbox sales. I know everyone thinks the PC/multiplatform market will make up for it. I am not so sure because Sony’s strongest asset right now is the PlayStation brand and console. Kill it too soon and they are screwed.

People are overreacting a bit. Consoles are not dead no more than PC gaming was dead a few years ago when everyone was predicting it.

How many units do they need to sell to be profitable? That’s not the problem.

They’ve been breaking all sorts of records in terms sales already and it doesn’t translate to record profits, so something is amiss.

They aren’t taking advantage of the immense install base they’ve built over the years, so they need better software.. just imagine Apple not making money from their App Store considering the amount of iPhones is circulation, it wouldn’t make any sense.

Woopah

They make carefully curated single player games more than anything else.

This remains the way to be successful in the video games industry.
Multiplayer games are also very important for Nintendo.
You can't release a statement stating that there will be no 1st party games release until 2025, and not expect margins to dip to record lows! Whatever happened to Sony stating that they were going to release 1 first party game every quarter? Release quality games on a regular basis, and systems will sell. Sony needs to stop spending $250 million plus making one game when a game like Ghost of Tsushima only cost $40 million.
They are releasing first party games next fiscal year, just not ones from major IP (Stellar Blade and Concord are coming for example).

Buggy Loop

Can you imagine if we had these kinds of apps in the 90s? ….. jeez…. Endless Mario and sonic killing each other in AI art. 🤣🤣🤣

aTKS9v8.jpg

XaQx3B9.jpg

RhTx6gs.jpg

When these can be animated in videos.. oh boy. I hope the forum doesn't go too hard to stop em, it'll be endless entertainment. I'll probably die laughing.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Having nothing to show for your newly released console for 3 years and concentrating on porting any reasons to buy that console to another platform with a small return will do that.
Especially when you come out and say there's is still gonna be nothing until 2025.
We all saw this coming.

reinking

Gold Member

They’ve been breaking all sorts of records in terms sales already and it doesn’t translate to record profits, so something is amiss.

They aren’t taking advantage of the immense install base they’ve built over the years, so they need better software.. just imagine Apple not making money from their App Store considering the amount of iPhones is circulation, it wouldn’t make any sense.
If sales were not there I would be more concerned. The sales are there. Of course the drought in software has had an impact but I do not think it is a quality issue. What I was saying is that people calling for them to go third party are missing the point that their number one asset is the PlayStation brand and console. They will not jeopardize that by going multi-console or day and date PC for single player games. I do believe Helldivers II has expedited plans, if they were not already there, to bring more service games to PC day one. The writing is on the wall that it will be happening.

AREYOUOKAY?

If they keep saying things like the PS5 is near the end of its lifespan already then it’s no wonder everyone would rather just play PlayStation games on PC instead.

I think you have several problems. They have several initiatives in the works that all cost a lot of money. Something I don't think people recognize. This is game development, tv and movie develpoment, hardware R&D, and hardware subsidy.

This isn't just a matter of needing more software sales.

I also think you have a really crowded market in gaming and with games costing 70 dollars people are really particular about what games they buy at full price. This is where I think multiplatform, diversified portfolio, and live service really come into play as needed elements for a profitable software platform. This is where I think Hermen Hulst has dropped the ball.

To think they would have been better off doing a Spider-Man 4 movie instead.

That's because you don't realize the full cost of making a movie.

To breakeven on a movie it's generally 2.5x budget. That better takes into account marketing and the fact that box office revenue doesn't belong to just the studio. If we're conservative and say Spider-Man 3 cost 258 million to make they needed 645 million to break even at the box office. That leaves 250 million in profit not considering home video sales and streaming (although streaming wasn't much of thing at the time of this movies release). When all is said and done Spider-Man 2 (the game) will generate more than 250 million in profit directly or indirectly.

If sales were not there I would be more concerned. The sales are there. Of course the drought in software has had an impact but I do not think it is a quality issue. What I was saying is that people calling for them to go third party are missing the point that their number one asset is the PlayStation brand and console. They will not jeopardize that by going multi-console or day and date PC for single player games. I do believe Helldivers II has expedited plans, if they were not already there, to bring more service games to PC day one. The writing is on the wall that it will be happening.

I think the drought if we're calling it that (I still contend that software development has actually been better on the PS5 than the PS4 and certainly on any Playstation before it for the same time period, people just have weird memories, but I do think Sony has a high threshold for their games, which may ultimately cause more games to get canceled or delayed.

PlayStation Studios Aim for 90 on Metacritic, Says Former God of War Art Director

Games released by existing Sony first party studios since the launch of the PS5 ignoring San Diego Studios and ports that are not remakes or remasters or VR titles.

Demon's Souls - 92
Marvels' Spider-Man Miles Morales - 85
Astro's Playroom - 83
Returnal - 86
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart - 88
God of War Ragnarok - 94
Gran Turismo 7 - 87
Horizon Forbidden West - 88
The Last of Us Part 1 - 89
The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered - 90
Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - 90

Average: 88.36

That's a wildly high average.

If they keep saying things like the PS5 is near the end of its lifespan already then it’s no wonder everyone would rather just play PlayStation games on PC instead.

What if I told you that Sony made the same comments about the PS4...

PS4 Is Entering The End Of Its Lifecycle, Sony Says

Let's also look at what you wrote, they never said the PS5 is near the end of its lifespan, they said it's in the latter half of its life. The PS5 launched in 2020, if the PS6 launches in 2028, that will have given it an 8 year life cycle, compared to the PS4 which launched in 2013 and had a 7 year life cycle.

The real question is AREYOUOKAY?

I was just thinking back to the PS3 and games I played like,Singularity,Enslaved....Odyssey to the West,Binary Domain,Alice Madness Returns,Remember Me.....all polished interesting games that didn't need to be the next big thing and could just exist as good games well worth playing......feels like there is a giant hole in the industry that games like this once occupied,Sony should bring them back.
Problem is even back then when gaas was just a corpos wet dream those games bomb. Can you imagine now.

THE:MILKMAN

Not really surprising given the industry trends over the last few months. I guess the next thing to happen will be Sony announcing their own job cuts....

Sony from the 60s- 90s: electronics company leading in many fields from TV to audio.

Sony in 2024: the PlayStation company.

Maaaaan what is going on with Sony? I miss the days of trinitron TVs, Walkman and discmans, quality Hifi gear….. my C800 mic that I still have in service to this day!….. they used to make this great audio editing package called sounforge, which was great for editing samples before dropping them into cubase or a drum machine for example, by the way… I had Sony speakers and head unit in my Peugeot 206 GTi back in the day. They were an amazing company that made a whole bunch of wonder products that were doing well.

Honestly I miss the old Sony. Nowadays I feel like they are heading in the direction of Panasonic, being a company that just does one product. I just never imagined they would be in a place where the gaming division is the biggest thing over their while their other divisions either shrunk or closed down.
To be fair their OLED TVs are pretty sweet, their Xperia smartphones are absolutely the best in the market, They still make great audio gear, and their cameras are also still excellent. The real problem is that they seem to have lost their ability to innovate in any electronics categories. They make great high-end equipment which costs a premium, but they are no longer creating brand new markets through innovative gear like they did in the 80's and 90's. Of course Playstation has continued to be their main revenue leader, but it looks like some changes are going to be made as the entire gaming market is slumping at the moment.

To be fair their OLED TVs are pretty sweet, their Xperia smartphones are absolutely the best in the market, They still make great audio gear, and their cameras are also still excellent. The real problem is that they seem to have lost their ability to innovate in any electronics categories. They make great high-end equipment which costs a premium, but they are no longer creating brand new markets through innovative gear like they did in the 80's and 90's. Of course Playstation has continued to be their main revenue leader, but it looks like some changes are going to be made as the entire gaming market is slumping at the moment.

They desperately need to rebrand Xperia. They've also done a really poor job marketing their TVs. Bravia to Bravia XR to Master series... It's not easy to tell which TV is even their flagship.

Their audio gear leaves a lot to be desired. I don't think they excel at either consumer or enterprise level audio.

Electronics really haven't been innovative since the iphone came out and most innovations come from software now rather than hardware. They've always been a pretty poor software company.

aclar00

Good point. Spider-Man games always take place in NYC so they kid of get a pass for reusing assets. NYC looks like NYC, can’t really make it look to different anyway.

Reused assests shouldnt be an issue for people who want games churned out fast and not take 5-6 to make. Its just par the course to get things out the door. With that said, Spider-Man uses the same setting as well, but thats nearly unavoidable unless they pull a long way from home type deal l.

Reallink

Guess the Jimbo era patented radio silence is finally starting to hit them where it hurts. Turns out NOT showing people upcoming games when you're trying to market and sell a Playstation ecosystem is actually a very bad idea. Enjoy that massive forecast target miss, they deserve it.

Last edited:

Jesb

I know alot of people want to see day one pc releases but I very much doubt that’s what they’ll do. I do think there no longer going to be investing in VR after PS5. Instead of VR they are going to start investing in mobile gaming and improving their cloud presence.

I know alot of people want to see day one pc releases but I very much doubt that’s what they’ll do. I do think there no longer going to be investing in VR after PS5. Instead of VR they are going to start investing in mobile gaming and improving their cloud presence.

I disagree there. I think VR is primed to hit it big in the next 5-10 years. If you look at all of the biggest hurdles in VR, they're mostly falling by the wayside.

The gear is become smaller, more technically proficient, and has become in cases wireless. The last big hurdle is really price.

Quest is outselling PSVR significantly because they've addressed a lot more of the current concerns than Sony has. Quest 2 and 3 are much cheaper than PSVR2, there are already wireless options there, and because it can be stand alone, it's much cheaper to give it a try.

VR game development as a production stream is going to complement game development more than making stand alone mobile games and I think it'll take AAA gaming longer to really hit large levels of mobile compared to VR.

That's mostly due to Kaz Hirai excellent leadership as Sony Group CEO. Someone more versed than me like Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami or thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best can probably provide way deeper insight into this topic.

Well, David Ricardo David Ricardo 's post basically explains what ISN'T a long-term solution in far fewer words than I could. What I do know of that era where Sony recovered with PS3 (I'm not super versed in that myself TBH, but a lot of things can be deduced by just looking at it in hindsight), they did many smart things, namely:

1: Cut the fat. VAIO computers weren't doing anything and costing a ton to make. Cutting VAIO to pour more focus on the console was the smart decision

2: Double down on console exclusives that appealed to core gamers at a time where PC gaming was still recovering, Nintendo was starting to lose players to mobile, and Xbox was neglecting core enthusiasts in their own console ecosystem with redundant 1P. The goodwill and improved market performance for PS3 in the last 3-4 years directly benefited the PS4, among other things.

Now look at the suggestions people are saying for Sony to do, to improve stocks and margins this gen:

1: Sell off the Financial unit. AFAIK, the Financial unit has been one of the most consistently profitable sections of the company, and probably has some of the lowest operating costs associated with it. Selling this unit off, IMO as an outsider with only cursory info, would seem like the complete OPPOSITE of what they did with the PC/VAIO unit. If anything, looking at the relative operating incomes, you'd think Sony would push for significant restructuring of the Sony Pictures unit well before selling off the Financial unit.

2: Do Day 1 on PC for all 1P releases. This is simply suicidal for the PlayStation brand. The exclusives act as distinguishing differentiators for the brand within the gaming market, and a gateway for hardcore & core enthusiasts, who are also early adopters (and have the highest ARPU on average), to jump in and set momentum in place that positively attracts mainstream and core gamers to buy in later on (as one of the big factors, but not the only one).

Exclusives have other benefits not tied to this, such as affording more targeted resource spending, better platform optimization, and fostering a sense of creative competition for devs (among the market, among each other, and among their own previous work). But there's also the fact that they help give platforms an identity and that identity helps with the branding, and getting the hardcore & core gamers, who become the early adopters, who set the momentum that helps influence mainstream & casuals to jump in later on. It's all connected, and getting rid of genuine exclusives for a Day 1 strategy on PC destroys the entire chain and sets in big platform decline.

PlayStation needs its exclusives, arguably now more than ever. Sony doesn't have vested interests in PC like Microsoft to where throwing away their console base for PC gaming becomes a write-off. So without the vested interests, it makes zero sense for them to pursue that type of strategy and allow their gaming business to be much more at the domain and control/influence of direct competitors. Nintendo gets it; Sony needs to get it.

If anything Sony should be looking at what things platforms like Steam do right, that PlayStation could implement on their platform to improve it, and make the console even more appealing in doing so. And with games, that means prioritizing big, medium, and small exclusives as much as possible. Even if they want to bring the games to other platforms, make the port windows make sense so PlayStation console owners aren't waiting longer to get 1P games, aren't getting more bugged 1P games at launch, and can always count on getting new 1P genuine exclusives within a reasonable window a game gets ported to other platforms like PC.

Also would say, a lot of the money spent on the PC ports could be better spent on doing more 1P AA titles, and getting a higher ROI on them. Insomniac suggested that themselves in the data from the ransomware hack.

What is also crazy, is that the people who keep saying Sony should do Day 1 for PC in particular, just conveniently pretend Microsoft didn't JUST buy two massive 3P publishers in large part to increase their own gaming revenue and profit margins. But now that people are asking what Sony can do, suddenly 3P publisher M&As just disappears as a topic? If M&As were supposedly so beneficial for Microsoft, why wouldn't they be for Sony? It's these people who expose themselves and their hypocrisy. They either have to admit they're complete hypocrites, or admit that 3P M&As aren't worth it (meaning Microsoft just wasted > $80 billion), or admit that the only way to make big 3P M&As work is to basically go multiplat (reaffirming the notion that Microsoft are doing exactly that and trying to ease their diehards into accepting it).

No matter what way they try to spin it, it will ALWAYS force them to reveal an uncomfortable truth about Xbox, and a lot of us don't want PlayStation to follow down that path. That's why we're so vocal in the first place, almost to the point of sounding jaded or very critical of certain things (some WAYYY more than others o.0). But I know from my POV, it's because I genuinely want to see PlayStation thrive; it's the brand that best represents gaming and has been around since my childhood. It's also the brand that has routinely shown it best understands the (non-mobile) gaming industry, and I say that even while having tons of appreciation & love for Nintendo, classic SEGA and (quite less so, but still there) Microsoft.

tmlDan

Guess the Jimbo era patented radio silence is finally starting to hit them where it hurts. Turns out NOT showing people upcoming games when you're trying to market and sell a Playstation ecosystem is actually a very bad idea. Enjoy that massive forecast target miss, they deserve it.
its a combination of things (missing forecast, slim profit margins), but also includes this:

Holding off announcements if not whats causing this lol

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Well, David Ricardo David Ricardo 's post basically explains what ISN'T a long-term solution in far fewer words than I could. What I do know of that era where Sony recovered with PS3 (I'm not super versed in that myself TBH, but a lot of things can be deduced by just looking at it in hindsight), they did many smart things, namely:

1: Cut the fat. VAIO computers weren't doing anything and costing a ton to make. Cutting VAIO to pour more focus on the console was the smart decision

2: Double down on console exclusives that appealed to core gamers at a time where PC gaming was still recovering, Nintendo was starting to lose players to mobile, and Xbox was neglecting core enthusiasts in their own console ecosystem with redundant 1P. The goodwill and improved market performance for PS3 in the last 3-4 years directly benefited the PS4, among other things.

Now look at the suggestions people are saying for Sony to do, to improve stocks and margins this gen:

1: Sell off the Financial unit. AFAIK, the Financial unit has been one of the most consistently profitable sections of the company, and probably has some of the lowest operating costs associated with it. Selling this unit off, IMO as an outsider with only cursory info, would seem like the complete OPPOSITE of what they did with the PC/VAIO unit. If anything, looking at the relative operating incomes, you'd think Sony would push for significant restructuring of the Sony Pictures unit well before selling off the Financial unit.

2: Do Day 1 on PC for all 1P releases. This is simply suicidal for the PlayStation brand. The exclusives act as distinguishing differentiators for the brand within the gaming market, and a gateway for hardcore & core enthusiasts, who are also early adopters (and have the highest ARPU on average), to jump in and set momentum in place that positively attracts mainstream and core gamers to buy in later on (as one of the big factors, but not the only one).

Exclusives have other benefits not tied to this, such as affording more targeted resource spending, better platform optimization, and fostering a sense of creative competition for devs (among the market, among each other, and among their own previous work). But there's also the fact that they help give platforms an identity and that identity helps with the branding, and getting the hardcore & core gamers, who become the early adopters, who set the momentum that helps influence mainstream & casuals to jump in later on. It's all connected, and getting rid of genuine exclusives for a Day 1 strategy on PC destroys the entire chain and sets in big platform decline.

PlayStation needs its exclusives, arguably now more than ever. Sony doesn't have vested interests in PC like Microsoft to where throwing away their console base for PC gaming becomes a write-off. So without the vested interests, it makes zero sense for them to pursue that type of strategy and allow their gaming business to be much more at the domain and control/influence of direct competitors. Nintendo gets it; Sony needs to get it.

If anything Sony should be looking at what things platforms like Steam do right, that PlayStation could implement on their platform to improve it, and make the console even more appealing in doing so. And with games, that means prioritizing big, medium, and small exclusives as much as possible. Even if they want to bring the games to other platforms, make the port windows make sense so PlayStation console owners aren't waiting longer to get 1P games, aren't getting more bugged 1P games at launch, and can always count on getting new 1P genuine exclusives within a reasonable window a game gets ported to other platforms like PC.

Also would say, a lot of the money spent on the PC ports could be better spent on doing more 1P AA titles, and getting a higher ROI on them. Insomniac suggested that themselves in the data from the ransomware hack.

What is also crazy, is that the people who keep saying Sony should do Day 1 for PC in particular, just conveniently pretend Microsoft didn't JUST buy two massive 3P publishers in large part to increase their own gaming revenue and profit margins. But now that people are asking what Sony can do, suddenly 3P publisher M&As just disappears as a topic? If M&As were supposedly so beneficial for Microsoft, why wouldn't they be for Sony? It's these people who expose themselves and their hypocrisy. They either have to admit they're complete hypocrites, or admit that 3P M&As aren't worth it (meaning Microsoft just wasted > $80 billion), or admit that the only way to make big 3P M&As work is to basically go multiplat (reaffirming the notion that Microsoft are doing exactly that and trying to ease their diehards into accepting it).

No matter what way they try to spin it, it will ALWAYS force them to reveal an uncomfortable truth about Xbox, and a lot of us don't want PlayStation to follow down that path. That's why we're so vocal in the first place, almost to the point of sounding jaded or very critical of certain things (some WAYYY more than others o.0). But I know from my POV, it's because I genuinely want to see PlayStation thrive; it's the brand that best represents gaming and has been around since my childhood. It's also the brand that has routinely shown it best understands the (non-mobile) gaming industry, and I say that even while having tons of appreciation & love for Nintendo, classic SEGA and (quite less so, but still there) Microsoft.

SNY should definitely put software on other consoles. It doesn’t have to be anything that has released in the last 3-4 years, but a title like Ghosts of Tsushima in Switch might generate a good amount of money on a title that is currently generating little to no revenue.

Yes, Sony is not Microsoft where they profit whether you play on Windows or Xbox, but Sony has become way too reliant on PlayStation and Sony Pictures.

I don’t understand why Sony hasn’t invested more in their Semiconductor business.

wolffy66

Nintendo don’t spend money on actors or mocap and other things. Their budget goes entirely into the game itself and then the marketing.

The real issue Sony have is the same as everybody else. AAA budgets are high and they they don’t make back enough money on any one platform. Not even theirs. That’s not a slight at Sony but simply the state of things in the business.

I think this is why we need to see more AA games come back into play, with an eye on quality mechanics and artistic mindsets. For the budget of a Zelda game Sony could make something a long the lines of the ICOs and shadow of rhe colossua type of games. They don’t focus on AAA values like acting and cinematic set peices in those games. They craft a solid game then wrap the story and the world around THAT. That’s how a game is supposed to be made. All this other stuff, like expensive facial capture tech and hair rendering tech, stuff that involves licences, so many thing that are just not really necessary to the game itself bloat the costs and devs keep doing it, trying to chase each others successes.

It’s not working out for anybody. As far as the money goes.
The production costs of some of these games are truly shocking. I don't see them as sustainable in any way because the consumers don't have the appetite for more expensive games.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
If you read what “gafers” are saying the stock should be printing all time highs every quarter
Essentially doubled over the last 5 years…but I don’t expect some “gafers” to look at anything earlier than the last week because they want to make sneak disses toward other “gafers” 🤦‍♂️😂

e5SCfYL.png

And that drop off around September 2022 was for the same exact reason this drop happened. This is how the stock market works.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Essentially doubled over the last 5 years…but I don’t expect some “gafers” to look at anything earlier than the last week because they want to make sneak disses toward other “gafers” 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂😂

e5SCfYL.png

And that drop off around September 2022 was for the same exact reason this drop happened. This is how the stock market works.
Not an easy company to make money off. Press the Max button on the stock chart. Depending where someone bought on the chart, they could be down. If someone bought stock 20 years at about $40 (after it cratered from the dot com boom), and held to now, you'd double your money in 20 years. Which is roughly a 4% compounded interest rate. Not really any different than someone putting in their money into a term deposit for 20 years. The company also pays a dividend which almost nothing.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If the margins are unexpectedly low whilst revenue is so high suggests to me that they are either burning an extraordinary amount of cash spending or writing down expenditures elsewhere in the business.

I mean its not like margins per-unit have dropped, and given volume doesn't appear to have fallen off... I'm not entirely sure how some people have come to the conclusions they have about the overall state of the business.

I'd definitely be taking a wait-and-see approach until the end of the next quarter.

fallingdove

Sony make more money on games than they do hardware, correct? If they did PC day 1 I'd happily take the £500 I was going to spend on hardware and just dump it into 8 big games. As it stands I'm buying physical copies and eBaying them for 70% of the price after I'm done. Never going full digital on a console.

There was once a time where the idea of big PS games coming to PC at all seemed insane. Day 1 is an inevitability, even if we don't see it this gen.
They make a lot more money from PSN sales.

3 1p games/year x 2M PC sales each @ $50 per game sold < 100+ 1p/3p games/year x 500K PSN sales each @ $15 per game sold

You eliminate the need for people to buy into your closed platform, sales dry up. Sony has figured out that by delaying 1p games by 1 year+, they don’t eliminate console sales and keep digital sales through PSN healthy.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Fanboys squirm and blame this imagined boogeyman of PC heavily cannibalizing PS sales, not based on any concrete data but rather "intuition," while continuing to ignore what multiple executives and analysts have said: that development costs are spiraling out of control. Time to face reality, friends, opening their catalogue to PC allows Sony to increase revenue streams and help offset ballooning costs so they can continue making the types of games you enjoy.
I think some people are having some trouble processing that the push to 25 million PS5's this fiscal year has not worked out the way Sony planned because they view everything in terms of number of consoles sold and not in terms of actual financial impact.

Getting those 21 million consoles into people's hands dropped gaming to #3 in terms of profitability among Sony's segments last quarter and hurt the overall company results. First party software sales were down year over year despite the increase in console sell through. Sony expected lower profitability from console discounts but I don't think they expected first party software sales to drop compared to the previous holiday season. The idea of Sony underperforming seems to be really hard for some folks to accept, even though it's probably only temporary and Sony is very well positioned to bounce back.

twilo99

Essentially doubled over the last 5 years…but I don’t expect some “gafers” to look at anything earlier than the last week because they want to make sneak disses toward other “gafers” 🤦‍♂️😂

e5SCfYL.png

March 2020 was the recent low for the market in general, since then the Nasdaq, which is a good indicator for the overall market, is up ~130% .

Sony is up ~ 72% for the same time period

Most would say that the stock is underperforming considering the performance of the overall market. You can check the DOW and S&P as well.. the numbers are similar

Last edited:

NEbeast

Sony having 10bn wiped off their market share has nothing to do with MS. The tech world is kind of turbulent right now . I get that Playstation is doing well but Sony as a company have their struggles ( the movie industry as a whole is suffering, the music biz is always in decline due to streaming, and their electronics departments are usually bested by the likes of Samsung and LG, they have their fair share of problems) . I wouldn’t take it personally.
I'm not taking anything personally. Its just a little disingenuous to act like they're in crisis when stock prices fluctuate all the time. This isn't the only video/article im referring to either. They're everywhere the last few days.

Toons

I think you have several problems. They have several initiatives in the works that all cost a lot of money. Something I don't think people recognize. This is game development, tv and movie develpoment, hardware R&D, and hardware subsidy.

This isn't just a matter of needing more software sales.

I also think you have a really crowded market in gaming and with games costing 70 dollars people are really particular about what games they buy at full price. This is where I think multiplatform, diversified portfolio, and live service really come into play as needed elements for a profitable software platform. This is where I think Hermen Hulst has dropped the ball.

That's because you don't realize the full cost of making a movie.

To breakeven on a movie it's generally 2.5x budget. That better takes into account marketing and the fact that box office revenue doesn't belong to just the studio. If we're conservative and say Spider-Man 3 cost 258 million to make they needed 645 million to break even at the box office. That leaves 250 million in profit not considering home video sales and streaming (although streaming wasn't much of thing at the time of this movies release). When all is said and done Spider-Man 2 (the game) will generate more than 250 million in profit directly or indirectly.

I think the drought if we're calling it that (I still contend that software development has actually been better on the PS5 than the PS4 and certainly on any Playstation before it for the same time period, people just have weird memories, but I do think Sony has a high threshold for their games, which may ultimately cause more games to get canceled or delayed.

PlayStation Studios Aim for 90 on Metacritic, Says Former God of War Art Director

Games released by existing Sony first party studios since the launch of the PS5 ignoring San Diego Studios and ports that are not remakes or remasters or VR titles.

Demon's Souls - 92
Marvels' Spider-Man Miles Morales - 85
Astro's Playroom - 83
Returnal - 86
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart - 88
God of War Ragnarok - 94
Gran Turismo 7 - 87
Horizon Forbidden West - 88
The Last of Us Part 1 - 89
The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered - 90
Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - 90

Average: 88.36

That's a wildly high average.

Excellent post.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They make a lot more money from PSN sales.

3 1p games/year x 2M PC sales each @ $50 per game sold < 100+ 1p/3p games/year x 500K PSN sales each @ $15 per game sold

You eliminate the need for people to buy into your closed platform, sales dry up. Sony has figured out that by delaying 1p games by 1 year+, they don’t eliminate console sales and keep digital sales through PSN healthy.

Perhaps for now, sure. There's an ever-growing market of PC gamers who are interested in their first party games but would never waste their money buying third party games on PSN when they own a better PC. Again, the notion of it happening at all seemed ridiculous not so long ago. Never say never.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Big blockbuster Cinematic AAA gaming isn’t working out.

Sony needs to be doing smaller budget single player, and GaaS multiplayer. The variety that they used to put out in the PS3 days is nowhere to be found on PS5.

Last edited:
March 2020 was the recent low for the market in general, since then the Nasdaq, which is a good indicator for the overall market, is up ~130% .

Most would say that the stock is underperforming considering the performance of the overall market. You can check the DOW and S&P as well.. the numbers are similar

Until you realise the overall market is being carried by a handful of companies.

Mahavastu

The real issue Sony have is the same as everybody else. AAA budgets are high and they they don’t make back enough money on any one platform. Not even theirs. That’s not a slight at Sony but simply the state of things in the business.

I think this is why we need to see more AA games come back into play, with an eye on quality mechanics and artistic mindsets.
IIRC in the Insomnia leaks was also a powerpoint (sorry, can not find it fast) in which the author pitched that Sony should instead of doing one 300mio game rather three 100Mio games. Such doing more games with less risk per game. And lets be honest, even 100mio is already a pretty high budget which should allow high quality games.
I think Sony needs both, a few high budget games with mass market appeal and some more medium to lower budget games which are successful even with lower sales.
This idea would pretty much go in the direction you (and some others) suggest: spend less per title and do more titles. Yes, we had games like Spiderman and GOW, but for example Returnal and Helldivers2 were very good games probably on a lower budget. And while Helldivers2 can probably not sell as much as Spiderman does, it is still very successful for its budget and beats probably every sane expectation.

SNY should definitely put software on other consoles. It doesn’t have to be anything that has released in the last 3-4 years, but a title like Ghosts of Tsushima in Switch might generate a good amount of money on a title that is currently generating little to no revenue.

Yes, Sony is not Microsoft where they profit whether you play on Windows or Xbox, but Sony has become way too reliant on PlayStation and Sony Pictures.

I don’t understand why Sony hasn’t invested more in their Semiconductor business.

The game (GoT) is still selling on PS platforms, and them putting a prestige title like that on a Nintendo system would generate many of the same issues them doing it on PC seems to be causing (though at a diminished level since the prestige games aren't Day 1 ports on that platform). It'd cause similar issue with some diehards in the PS community as Xbox bringing games like HiFi Rush to PlayStation and Switch, and signal a similar decline in the console's own ecosystem has set in (if they have to resort to bringing prestige games to competing platforms...and yes, Nintendo does compete with PlayStation just in different ways than something like Xbox does).

The truth is that Sony haven't become reliant enough on PlayStation, and some of the multiplatform plans they've done the past couple of years not to mention possible internal development pipeline, reflects that. If they became too reliant on PlayStation as you claimed, we'd of had a lot more PS5-only 1P releases earlier instead of mostly cross-gen titles, and more 3P exclusives that also had healthier release windows between console & PC (another platform that competes with PlayStation again in ways different than Xbox or Nintendo, but more similar to Xbox than Nintendo in that regard).

Only thing here I can agree with, is that Sony should have been investing more in semiconductors, certainly. I also agree that they've maybe been too reliant on Sony Pictures, but I'd actually more argue that Sony Pictures have been too reliant or trusting of Disney/Marvel; post-Endgame the Spiderman movies were the only bona-fide hits in the MCU both in critical and commercial acclaim. Disney/Marvel haven't been pulling their weight, but it looks like they're finally starting to turn things around (I'm very hopeful of X-Men '97, and Deadpool & Wolverine).

IIRC in the Insomnia leaks was also a powerpoint (sorry, can not find it fast) in which the author pitched that Sony should instead of doing one 300mio game rather three 100Mio games. Such doing more games with less risk per game. And lets be honest, even 100mio is already a pretty high budget which should allow high quality games.
I think Sony needs both, a few high budget games with mass market appeal and some more medium to lower budget games which are successful even with lower sales.
This idea would pretty much go in the direction you (and some others) suggest: spend less per title and do more titles. Yes, we had games like Spiderman and GOW, but for example Returnal and Helldivers2 were very good games probably on a lower budget. And while Helldivers2 can probably not sell as much as Spiderman does, it is still very successful for its budget and beats probably every sane expectation.

Agreed. They need more variety in terms of 1P titles when it comes to budget & scale of the games. In the last several years Sony basically went full-tilt into AAA 1P titles and left the AA and smaller games to 3P either as co-funded/developed exclusives or timed exclusivity deals. That's well and good but clearly it hasn't been done with the best of balance.

For starters, that approach leaves a lot of otherwise neat Sony IP locked in a vault and never able to build on their nostalgia or even transmedia properties/potential. It also means Sony can't completely keep management or track of development costs, or implement measures to curb excess costs before they get out of control. Also the costs spent on certain 3P exclusivity deals or marketing deals could probably be reinvested towards internal 1P AA titles that would have a higher ROI on PS consoles alone, and that's before considering some could also target mobile as a complementary platform, even PC in some cases.

Of course, but Sony is big enough to be considered one of those companies.

So is Microsoft, you know the one gaming platform holder who has consistently been underperforming even below most tepid expectations for the better part of 2.5 years now with their new consoles.

Realistically Sony (and Nintendo) should be expected to pick up a lot of that slack, but they can't pick up all of it. And in Sony's case they probably have some things internally which need adjusting in order to fully optimize their revenue and profit margins.

But none of the answers for that gaming-wise involve Day 1 PC for all 1P releases. Period.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

I get it…yes, under performing this moment. But all it takes is a game announcement or a pro official announcement to change that tune. People catastrophize literally everything these days. Shit fluctuates like any other stock. The fact that some are trying to paint a picture like “Sony is done”, or “PlayStation is dead” is insane to me. I’ve see uneducated people comment on things around here for a very long time…but when it comes to the stock market, whether it be Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft, it’s wild to me how little people really know, and they are just talking to talk because their favorite company isn’t the one involved 😂

Edit - to add. People are discounting Sony because the my said a “existing franchise” isn’t releasing a new game before FY 2025. What’s that even mean??

Here’s the answer…share holder talk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom