• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Sales Prediction Of 6 Million Units This Fiscal Year Still Stands, Says Analyst

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In February, Japanese analyst Hideki Yasuda of Osaka firm Ace Research Institute predicted Sony would manage to move 6 million PS5s by the end of this fiscal year, which ends on March 31st, 2021. Now, a little thing called COVID-19 happened, you may have heard about it, that has changed the landscape a good deal. But Yasuda is holding firm in that initial prediction, saying that despite the pandemic, as well as what some see as ‘weak’ marketing on the part of Sony, he still sees the PS5 moving the same amount. He even stands by his other prediction that it will ship 15 million the next fiscal year, between April 1st, 2021 and March 31st, 2022. He says that the demand for gaming and entertainment hasn’t been impacted by current events, and points to Sony’s recent financial earnings report as how strong the brand currently is.

Of course, Yasuda seems to not be factoring in the possibility that stock will be staggered to a significant degree due to the pandemic, or that regions in Asia won’t see a major ‘second wave’ that could, again, affect production lines. We’ll just have to wait and see, but if everything goes smoothly, well, his predictions don’t seem too out there. Sony is definitely going into this generation with a strong base.

It's basically limited to how many they can make. Who knows what that number is with the state of things, but it's safe to say it is less than PS4 numbers.
Yep they'll sell whatever they can make.

For the US it's hard to say where we'll be with the pandemic at the point of release, but it's entirely possible that it sells more because of it. Just look at the Switch and Animal Crossing for a good example of what's possible.

so from fall to march 6 million for the world? I could be wrong but isn't that a little short? I know they can only make so many so it looks like its gonna be a rush for them apparently.

Vawn

Banned
Yep they'll sell whatever they can make.

For the US it's hard to say where we'll be with the pandemic at the point of release, but it's entirely possible that it sells more because of it. Just look at the Switch and Animal Crossing for a good example of what's possible.

Animal Crossing and COVID caused Switches to become impossible to find halfway through its lifespan. I can't imagine how bad these new consoles will be.

so from fall to march 6 million for the world? I could be wrong but isn't that a little short? I know they can only make so many so it looks like its gonna be a rush for them apparently.
For this year the console will launch probably November or late October so it will only have like 2 months of sales for this year so 6 mill is plenty in only 2 months

Vawn

Banned
For this year the console will launch probably November or late October so it will only have like 2 months of sales for this year so 6 mill is plenty in only 2 months

That's not how fiscal years work. And they're not selling (or manufacturing) 6 million in two months.

That's not how fiscal years work. And they're not selling (or manufacturing) 6 million in two months.
So you saying they only gone to sale 6 mill for a whole year then that damn low and they start manufacturing 3-4 months before launch

Last edited:

yurinka

There is a huge pandemic shaking the world, and in that period PS4 did as I remember 7.5M. So 6M considering the circumstances, the amount of units they would be able to produce, the amount of marketing they'd be able to do and that people would be able to buy is awesome. I understand that without pandemic this number would have been higher than the PS4 ones.

PS5 6 mill this year so Series X between 4-5 mill
Considering XBO vs PS4 sales and that all MS games will be crossgen for the first ~2 years, I'd say 3-4M would be more likely. Specially if PS5 doesn't end being $100+ more expensive than Series X.

Last edited:
Top Bottom