• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: PS5 Pro releasing on November 2024

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Needs to be quiet or I won’t care. Can’t do another PSJet Pro.
The Rock What GIF

THE:MILKMAN

According to rumors several 1st party studios have them and many more scheduled to receive them in Oct, its when to expect a lot more leaks and detailed specs

See on this I'm not so sure, Heisenberg. *if* it is true that 1st party devs have the kits then well over a year to launch seems far too long for a mid-gen console. PS4 Pro was like 6 months max.

Also it would surely mean the APU design is already done and taped out. I seriously doubt they would/could do multiple chip iterations for the dev kits given the costs of design and tape out as highlighted by Kepler_L2.

*or* the Pro is coming earlier than we think...?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
See on this I'm not so sure, Heisenberg. *if* it is true that 1st party devs have the kits then well over a year to launch seems far too long for a mid-gen console. PS4 Pro was like 6 months max.

Also it would surely mean the APU design is already done and taped out. I seriously doubt they would/could do multiple chip iterations for the dev kits given the costs of design and tape out as highlighted by Kepler_L2.

*or* the Pro is coming earlier than we think...?
I am just taking a guess here but I think it was March maybe April when Tom finally got on board with a PS5 Pro was for sure happening and he said then 1st party studios would get their devkits soon though I don't know what he considered soon

Plus, at least according to how Xbox did things leading up to this gen, early devkits were just PCs with target specs and later devkits were actual working models of what was to be sold

One of my PS5s broke and sent it in and got a replacement so technically 5 PS5s guy is me?!?

Dream-Knife

Banned
Like what reality do you actually live in?

There are 30FPS games.
There are 60FPS games that can't maintain a solid 60FPS.
There are 120FPS games that definitely DO NOT stay at 120FPS.

No solid frame rates unless its 30FPS and if you're playing a 60FPS or 120FPS game it's not a solid fps they constantly dip below expectations and on top of that sacrifice resolution.

Where is this world that you live in where things are just fine? Because I haven't seen it yet in actual reality of games I've been playing.
Do you think a pro will solve that?

mystech

I’m definitely in on day 1 though I’m not expecting anything too crazy compared to what we already have.

Realistically we are just looking at higher resolutions and better frame rates. Perhaps the PS5 Pro will get us closer to native 4K with 60fps on the same titles that the Series X and PS5 offer 30 fps with resolutions barely higher than 1440. We will probably see the most benefits with PS5 exclusives where the lowest target would be the base PS5. Cross platform and especially cross gen games may have less benefits.

Of course the real question is if the upgrade is actually noticeable while playing? Many PS4 Pro games certainly had better graphics but they were hardly noticeable unless you were standing still picking apart details.

Pallas

Gold Member
I was actually planning on finally getting a PS5 later this year, but I might as well hold out for the pro. Wondering what they will price this monster at. Think we might see another $599 price tag? 🫢

Correct! But the PS4 Pro was released exactly 3 years into the PS4 life cycle while supposedly this PS5 Pro releases 4 years into the PS5 life cycle.
You specifically mentioned "big holiday rush" there is a holiday rush EVERY year lol, so the fact that it's releasing a year later doesn't make it miss a holiday rush, your statement makes no sense.

As for the reason why it's a year late it's because its most likely because of COVID.

THE:MILKMAN

I am just taking a guess here but I think it was March maybe April when Tom finally got on board with a PS5 Pro was for sure happening and he said then 1st party studios would get their devkits soon though I don't know what he considered soon

Plus, at least according to how Xbox did things leading up to this gen, early devkits were just PCs with target specs and later devkits were actual working models of what was to be sold

Its tricky but devkits possibly been going out since ~April this year for a mid-gen bump to launch late '24 seems overkill to me unless Sony feel the need to push specs further if Xbox are planning a full gen leap in '25/'26?

I would expect PC-based target spec devkits for a next-gen system but not for a mid-gen bump as the PS4 Pro showed, but as I said above maybe Sony are thinking about what the competition might be doing?

We need more detail in the leaks!

You specifically mentioned "big holiday rush" there is a holiday rush EVERY year lol, so the fact that it's releasing a year later doesn't make it miss a holiday rush, your statement makes no sense.

As for the reason why it's a year late it's because its most likely because of COVID.
Chill dude! I have said none of that! You're confusing me with UltimaKilo smh.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
No, but it will alleviate some things which is good because the current trend till 2028 would be a disaster without a Pro. Or PlayStation would bleed more folks over to PC.
So why not just start a new gen?

I don't think consoles -> PC pipeline is only due to performance.

unlurkified

Why does everyone want a “pro” so much when the current version runs everything just fine?
But it don’t tho. Some kind of 4K-ish at 30 or 60 at some random rez reconstructed up to 1440p just isn’t that exciting. I was already disenchanted by the usual options given back when playing HFW. Games as recent as FF16 are already quite blurry in the performance option.

Killer8

I think i'll be getting one of these and keeping my current PS5 for exploits. Seeing all of the 60fps patches coming out for PS4 games has me excited. I hope a lot of PS5 games get Pro patches for 120fps support.

HTK

Banned
So why not just start a new gen?

I don't think consoles -> PC pipeline is only due to performance.
I think a new gen is a bigger reset than just evolution of the current console. New gen affects a lot of things from technology to development.

Pro is perfect solution to improve and extended the generation without making the job of devs too difficult. It’s really a no brained in todays age.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Isn't it a bit mad that we are talking about pro and asking for it since day 1?
Dev cycles are so long nowadays, let devs learn the system beyond using it like a budget pc. The system got much more to offer.
It really feels like this gen just started.
I would get the pro myself but let it be out when it's out. We are hearing rumors for years and it's just stupid.

And besides that... once pro comes out, it will just move the goalpost. Pro will receive normal quality and base lower quality :p

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Isn't it a bit mad that we are talking about pro and asking for it since day 1?
Dev cycles are so long nowadays, let devs learn the system beyond using it like a budget pc. The system got much more to offer.
It really feels like this gen just started.
I would get the pro myself but let it be out when it's out. We are hearing rumors for years and it's just stupid.

And besides that... once pro comes out, it will just move the goalpost. Pro will receive normal quality and base lower quality :p

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I hope these upgrades continue to happen every 3 years or so, the devs will adapt

SenkiDala

Oh it's true alright. Tom is very accurate with his past info. Also, the current consoles are pretty weak by today's standards. Mid gen upgrade is not a surprise.
Oh I know that but I wish it wouldn't be... For me it's a waste of R&D but well as long as people (like me) keep buying... ^^"

Knightime_X

Yet there will still be 30fps games.
I will consider it, but holy shit, this HAS to blow me away.
Expectations at stratosphere levels.

Oh I know that but I wish it wouldn't be... For me it's a waste of R&D but well as long as people (like me) keep buying... ^^"
How is it a waste of R&D? It let's Sony and the gaming industry know what new hardware standards they are able to achieve for the current affordable tech and the future? It will give then a ballpark for the PS6 and let' them see what they can get away pricing wise.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I hope these upgrades continue to happen every 3 years or so, the devs will adapt
Devs will not adapt. It's not a pc.
You start development with one console in mind and then 2 other versions come out.
There is a big strength in 1 environment/1 sku.

But if the rumors are true and it comes end of last year, that's reasonably far away. Maybe even too far

SenkiDala

How is it a waste of R&D? It let's Sony and the gaming industry know what new hardware standards they are able to achieve for the current affordable tech and the future? It will give then a ballpark for the PS6 and let' them see what they can get away pricing wise.
Sure but I mean in my opinion it would be better to focus on the ps6 even if it's for 2028 or something. I worry that people more and more get bored to change their console every 3 years, and we can see it in this order "PS4, then PS4 Pro, then PS5, then PS5 Pro" but you can also feel "I start with PS4 Pro and I won't get a PS5 until the PS5 pro", I dunno if in the end this is a good strategy. Also the PS4 Pro is the Pro version of the PS4 but you can also say that the PS5 is the Pro version of the PS4 Pro.
I know there're differences of architectures, the NVME, etc, but graphically, recently for "fun" (yes I have fun weirdly) I tried my PS4 version of Forbidden West on the PS4 Pro (I only played it on PS5 before) and honestly it was perfectly fine, I felt like "fuck I payed 500€ for such a small gap ?". I'd even say that the vast majority of mass market wouldn't see a difference if you let them play the PS4 Pro version and tell them "this is Forbidden West on PS5" (I mean except the controller of course).

Also as a gamer I didn't feel in any game (yes I know Gotham was 30 FPS yes I know Starfield will be 30fps, as long as the IQ is great it is ok for me) "damn, hurry to get a new PS5/XSX version). I play on a LGC1 with VRR on and everything looks great on it.

To finish, I am nostalgic of that "wow effect" when a new generation of consoles arrive. Super Famicom when you came from NES, PS1 from Super Famicum, PS2 from PS1 etc. That gap was huge at that time. Now go on YouTube and check the difference between Forbidden West on PS4 Pro and PS5 and tell me that it's a huge gap.

Robb

Gold Member
Hmm, might wait for that then. Although the size is kind of bumming me out (I’m assuming a ‘pro’ would be at least the same size as current Ps5).. I’m in no hurry though. Looking forward to seeing the Slim.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Hmm, might wait for that then. Although the size is kind of bumming me out (I’m assuming a ‘pro’ would be at least the same size as current Ps5).. I’m in no hurry though. Looking forward to seeing the Slim.
No telling how long you are waiting to see a slim though as the new model coming isn't it

Caio

Why does everyone want a “pro” so much when the current version runs everything just fine?
PS5 is fine, and exclusive games looks and performs very good, same for some great 3rd party games, but the more demanding games releasing in 2024 and so on, will be all 30fps, or even 60 with a lot to sacrify. With PS5 PRO you will be able to run at 60 fps and heavier Ray Tracing everything which is running at 30 fps on a base PS5. I know there are gamers who don't care that much, and/or others who would like to see a true generational leap between generations, but there are also other gamers who want better performance, better Ray Tracing, better effects, etc. Now, think about GTA6, and how many gamers would love to play it at 1440p / 60 fps and Ray-Tracing; nothing is confirmed at this point, that is just an example/hypothesis, but if you ask me, it could be a "game changer", at least the way I see it. Or the most demanding Sony Exclusive, and be able to play all at 60 fps in fidelity mode and better Ray Tracing/effects. I think, once you try it, you would never go back.

Last edited:
Sure but I mean in my opinion it would be better to focus on the ps6 even if it's for 2028 or something. I worry that people more and more get bored to change their console every 3 years, and we can see it in this order "PS4, then PS4 Pro, then PS5, then PS5 Pro" but you can also feel "I start with PS4 Pro and I won't get a PS5 until the PS5 pro", I dunno if in the end this is a good strategy. Also the PS4 Pro is the Pro version of the PS4 but you can also say that the PS5 is the Pro version of the PS4 Pro.
I know there're differences of architectures, the NVME, etc, but graphically, recently for "fun" (yes I have fun weirdly) I tried my PS4 version of Forbidden West on the PS4 Pro (I only played it on PS5 before) and honestly it was perfectly fine, I felt like "fuck I payed 500€ for such a small gap ?". I'd even say that the vast majority of mass market wouldn't see a difference if you let them play the PS4 Pro version and tell them "this is Forbidden West on PS5" (I mean except the controller of course).

Also as a gamer I didn't feel in any game (yes I know Gotham was 30 FPS yes I know Starfield will be 30fps, as long as the IQ is great it is ok for me) "damn, hurry to get a new PS5/XSX version). I play on a LGC1 with VRR on and everything looks great on it.

To finish, I am nostalgic of that "wow effect" when a new generation of consoles arrive. Super Famicom when you came from NES, PS1 from Super Famicum, PS2 from PS1 etc. That gap was huge at that time. Now go on YouTube and check the difference between Forbidden West on PS4 Pro and PS5 and tell me that it's a huge gap.
All of this sounds like a personal preference and emotions at play. Companies are not here to cater to certain individuals feelings or preferences. Technology changes, industries change, things don't always stay forever the same, it's just part of life.

Yeah, I get the sentiment of "wow omg new console" instead of upgrading every few years or so, I miss that feeling too. But you gotta realize that the reality is now different. No one is forcing you to buy a new system at launch, you can just wait till the "Pro" version of whatever console and jump in there.

Also, speaking of "wow" moments, I highly doubt there will ever be another revolutionary step in video game visuals. The transition of 2D to 3D during the N64 era is never going to happen again. At least not in that capacity. Some people say we have reached peak visuals and diminishing returns, others say there is still plenty of room to grow. If I was a fortune teller I'd love to tell you where the industry and video game tech will be in the next 30 years, but sadly I am not and neither is anyone else here.

You must also understand that consoles set the lowest common denominator stage for video game development. So it is VERY important that they are as powerful as possible, therefore R&D is absolutely vital.

Top Bottom