• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play - June 02, 2022

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Pretty bad show. No next gen games aside from FF16 which looks last gen. I guess Horizon would count as a next gen only game but man it looks rough.

I am thoroughly unimpressed by what third parties have brought to this gen so far. Not even talented devs like Capcom and SE are doing anything even remotely ambitious. If it wasn't for Epic, we would be in the dark ages thinking FF16, Deathloop and Ghostwire tokyo are the best graphics we could have this gen.

Killer8

As I said in other threads, covid delays are still a thing and it's not at all surprising that things are slipping so much into 2023. It's not a 'Microsoft can't manage their teams' problem like Jaffe and his band of Sony bros pretended it was.

Anyway this was a pretty good showing to me. Basically every major game looked great.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
SFVI was definitely the highlight for me; if the content is there and the netcode is actually good, it's gonna be big. RE4 Remake looks pretty good. That RollerDrome game actually looks pretty cool, and FF XVI looks awesome. The VR games including Horizon look promising.

Actually, I don't think there was a single weak game in the showing. Guess the only surprise is FF XVI is a bit further out than I thought but makes sense they want to give Forspoken some breathing room and more time for FFXVI to be polished.
No single weak game, are you sure?That bycicle game and maybe that roller game....The rest is awesome though.

The Shepard

Resident evil 4, street fighter 6 and ff16 were the highlights for me and the castillo project has got my interest.

No BB, SH, Kojima, Metal Gear and Naughty dog.
But still good State of play.
Shame n info on psvr 2

Sure they said this was just third party and psvr2, maybe they'll have a first party state of play soon.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
1) Callisto Protocol
2) RE4 Remake
3) Street fighter 6
4) Final Fantasy XVI
Still not sure about FFXVI though.
the rest was shit
But overall good SoP

Btw the 4K trailers are up

Last edited:

Fbh

That was...ok.

-FFXVI looks great, love the art style, the plot seems interesting, dialog isn't as cringe as usual and the gameplay looks great. Summer 2023 is disappointing though, wasn't expecting it this year but based on recent comments I was hoping for early 2023.
-The Calisto Protocol looks great, seems like a proper spiritual successor to Dead Space.
- PSVR 2 stuff looks good though I wish they'd announce a date and pricing.
- RE4R is nice seeing it confirmed for relatively soon, the trailer sucked ass though

Overall a solid SoP .....though being in June it's hard not to have wanted a bigger event with more announcements. Also no first party announcements which sucks.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
mw7X3i3.png

No single weak game, are you sure?That bycicle game and maybe that roller game....The rest is awesome though.

Nah I actually liked the RollerDome game tho I'm beyond tired of the '80s music vibe stuff. Didn't see the bicycle game (had to go between chat and watching the show).

But overall yeah, a really good show. Time to rewatch that SFVI trailer.

kirby007

If this was the best state of play i'm glad i missed out on the previous ones
Also SF better have more costumes then just recolors

SteadyEvo

Glad E3 is cancelled, sony can barely make 28 mins exciting.
Somewhat agree. I was expecting E3 level announcements. RE4 was the best thing shown. Not a fan of FF or SF so those did nothing for me. And I truly wish Sony would stop with the VR and focus all attention on traditional gaming. Guessing they didn’t wanna blow their load 🤷‍♀️

Still love you Sony

Katajx

Gold Member
That was actually pretty good. Hope we get some more stuff from the Summer Game Fest stuff and maybe the Microsoft showcase.
Really digging the FFXVI art direction, but I’m still can’t figure out the combat, but I can wait to find out more.
It looks improved a bit from the initial reveal which is good! The summon designs were pretty fantastic. They did outshine the npcs though.

Hopefully it plays great though.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Nah I actually liked the RollerDome game tho I'm beyond tired of the '80s music vibe stuff. Didn't see the bicycle game (had to go between chat and watching the show).

But overall yeah, a really good show. Time to rewatch that SFVI trailer.
Yeah that's why I said maybe that roller game because I am curious about it but I don't really like the artstyle....That bycicle game is a no no though, believe me you didn't miss anything if that's the only thing you missed.

Not a bad show. Looking forward to lot of what they showed. And also looking forward to being too scared to buy any of the horror games they've showed as well.

Wonder if vxi needed more Dev time/polish or was it too close to everything else that's releasing soon?

That seemed like a pretty decent State of Play to me. I was only interested in Stray, but it seems like there were several games that Sony gamers would enjoy, plus games for PSVR2. I think probably the majority of PS fans are happy with this SoP.

Hm, has a cat as the main character. Can't be a coincidence 🤣.

I think games like SFVI would be something beyond just PS fans liking, since apparently Klobriel rushed out on Twitter to show it's coming to Xbox Series systems too. I just hope the netcode is good this time and there's no stupid three-frame buffer.

killatopak

Not a bad show. Looking forward to lot of what they showed. And also looking forward to being too scared to buy any of the horror games they've showed as well.

Wonder if vxi needed more Dev time/polish or was it too close to everything else that's releasing soon?
Forspoken is gonna release this year so it maybe just to space them out.

Hugare

Imagine thinking that this was disapointing

It started with freaking RE 4, ffs. That alone makes this SOP better than 90% of the others in the past.

The anime game was the only shitty part, the rest was fire

Was kinda disapointed with FF XVI because I hated the HUD and damage numbers floating everywhere

Callisto Protocol was the star, for me. Loved every second of the trailer, and cant wait to put my hands on it.

engstra

Sony really brought the heat! RE4 looked very cool, RE8 on VR confirmed even cooler. Really impressed by Call of the Mountain. Stray for free with new PS+ is awesome. Calisto Protocol looked really really good. And finally so happy to see Season again after a long time away. That game looks fantastic.
Really good showing. Not a fan of having a trailer just to say spiderman is coming to PC, that really should've just been a blogpost, but otherwise can't complain. Solid B+ showing

Yeah that's why I said maybe that roller game because I am curious about it but I don't really like the artstyle....That bycicle game is a no no though, believe me you didn't miss anything if that's the only thing you missed.

The artstyle for RollerDome had me thinking it was another rollerblade-based game that got shown off very recently, but Rollerdome looks better/more unique than that game so I'll probably at least give it a try.

Top Bottom