• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the State of Play (31st January 2024)

Rate the state of play

• Total voters

DeNoro

Neo Member
To me, the lack of any important first party studio gets an automatic "C". What are they up to? Will Sony wait for the next leaker to tell us? Playstation changed their marketing so much in this generation when compared to the last one, they seem farther and more closed off to their audience and fans. I think is been a step backwards from the apparent transparency and one closer the old corporate Sony. Me no likey.

Sacred

Probably the best State of Play ever, PS5 is going to have a stunning 2024, DS2 just won the 2025 GOTY, plus free+shadow dropped Silent Hill combined with "new" IP from Kojima (MGS+Syphon Filter) are megatons. Most games look great, several of them GOTY candidates.

A+

If you didn't like this you hate videogames.
Biggest overstatement I have ever seen on these forums.. Congratulations.

LastBattle

I would rate it a low C. If I’m being honest most of the games looked pretty rough. Definitely not what I’ve come to expect from PlayStation. Death Standing 2 easily took the show, however it looks pretty silly. Kinda of hard to take it seriously.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I learned some stuff. But there was nothing I cared about. It was a B presentation. A lot of death stranding and I care nothing about it. Judas was the one thing I liked.

none of the other games matter to me.

Topher

Gold Member
E

Pretty weak showcase, future doesn't look bright for Playstation

Animated GIF

I would rate it a low C. If I’m being honest most of the games looked pretty rough. Definitely not what I’ve come to expect from PlayStation. Death Standing 2 easily took the show, however it looks pretty silly. Kinda of hard to take it seriously.

Honest question: aside maybe Rise of the Ronin, what games actually looked rough, and how? I hope games like Stellar Blade aren't in that convo because that game looked buttery-smooth and quite gorgeous. Other games like Foamstars look exactly as you'd expect: fun smaller games without $100 million budgets but still polished enough. Dave the Diver's the type of game that's always been at a SOP, so it can't be that what you're talking about.

I'm just curious when people are throwing claims like "most of the games looked rough" out there, but then don't quantify what they mean and how what they felt fit the description. Like I can point to a game such as Avowed and say that looked a bit janky, but I've explained why multiple times, and even then that isn't to say it won't be a fun game. It's in the ballpark certain mid-tier games during the 6th gen would've fit in, for me: not particularly polished (rough transition animations, not the best lip sync to speech, random NPC pop-in, AI-sounding VA work etc.), but probably still worth a playthrough.

For me the only thing at the SOP that seemed in a similar ballpark to, say, Avowed in the "jank" department was maybe Rise of the Ronin. Actually a better way to describe both games would maybe be they're titles where you can feel the constraints of budget, time & resources at the seams in parts (more so with Avowed), but at least they're trying to do something solid with their scope. But nothing else at the SOP gave me that type of feel, everything else was more or less quite polished IMO and some clearly notches above (Stellar Blade, Death Stranding 2 etc.).

Didn't want to draw any Xbox Direct comparisons ITT but I only did it because on the topic of games looking rough or whatever, Avowed was one of the immediate titles that came to my mind. In terms of one I'd say fits the bill, and I feel I explained my reasons as to why. But seeing people say the same about games at the SOP outside maybe Ronin (and again, for that one it's mostly a visual thing), it's just 100% not tracking with me. Did they watch the stream on a phone at 160p with network drops or something?

Last edited:

demigod

I can’t take folks like this guy seriously praising the direct and shitting on SoP.

Honest question: aside maybe Rise of the Ronin, what games actually looked rough, and how? I hope games like Stellar Blade aren't in that convo because that game looked buttery-smooth and quite gorgeous. Other games like Foamstars look exactly as you'd expect: fun smaller games without $100 million budgets but still polished enough. Dave the Diver's the type of game that's always been at a SOP, so it can't be that what you're talking about.

I'm just curious when people are throwing claims like "most of the games looked rough" out there, but then don't quantify what they mean and how what they felt fit the description. Like I can point to a game such as Avowed and say that looked a bit janky, but I've explained why multiple times, and even then that isn't to say it won't be a fun game. It's in the ballpark certain mid-tier games during the 6th gen would've fit in, for me: not particularly polished (rough transition animations, not the best lip sync to speech, random NPC pop-in, AI-sounding VA work etc.), but probably still worth a playthrough.

For me the only thing at the SOP that seemed in a similar ballpark to, say, Avowed in the "jank" department was maybe Rise of the Ronin. Actually a better way to describe both games would maybe be they're titles where you can feel the constraints of budget, time & resources at the seams in parts (more so with Avowed), but at least they're trying to do something solid with their scope. But nothing else at the SOP gave me that type of feel, everything else was more or less quite polished IMO and some clearly notches above (Stellar Blade, Death Stranding 2 etc.).

Didn't want to draw any Xbox Direct comparisons ITT but I only did it because on the topic of games looking rough or whatever, Avowed was one of the immediate titles that came to my mind. In terms of one I'd say fits the bill, and I feel I explained my reasons as to why. But seeing people say the same about games at the SOP outside maybe Ronin (and again, for that one it's mostly a visual thing), it's just 100% not tracking with me. Did they watch the stream on a phone at 160p with network drops or something?
I said Avowed looked like a VR game, I guess it came true, lol. We are getting Legendary Tales.

D. It's clear Sony just doesn't understand these direct-style events. Not only do they feature very few impactful announcements, the time they dedicate to each one is baffling. There is a complete lack of energy and excitement. The big question is: where are the big Sony exclusives? This is supposed to be primetime for the PS5, and it feels like every big game from the past couple years has been a crossgen title that we won't see a sequel to until the end of the PS5's life cycle (probably crossgen with PS6).

Thanks for summarizing. To me it's actually more disappointing when laid out like this.

- "Me too" NieR Automata
- Another Sonic game
- "Me too" Splatoon
- Dave the Diver port
- ZZZ
- Silent Hill: Another Trash F2P
- Silent Hill 2 Remake (GOAT Silent Hill)
- Bioshock 3 Judas
- Metro VR that actually looks pretty decent, but will tank in sales (hope I am wrong here)
- "Year too late" Diablo 3.5
- Dragon's Dogma 2 (wish this had multiplayer)
- Rise of the Ronin
- Until Dawn re-release
- Death Stranding 2
- Minutes of Kojima talking about how great the upcoming game will be, that they won't bother showing in any way.

The best and biggest announcement here is the next State of Play for FF7 Rebirth. That was the most exciting part of the show.

Topher

Gold Member
D. It's clear Sony just doesn't understand these direct-style events. Not only do they feature very few impactful announcements, the time they dedicate to each one is baffling. There is a complete lack of energy and excitement. The big question is: where are the big Sony exclusives? This is supposed to be primetime for the PS5, and it feels like every big game from the past couple years has been a crossgen title that we won't see a sequel to until the end of the PS5's life cycle (probably crossgen with PS6).

State of Play have never been about big announcements. The big stuff is typically reserved for once a year showcases (although, granted, the last couple of years have been lacking, imo). So if you came looking for the big Sony exclusives then most of us here could of told you before hand that wasn't going to happen.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Death Stranding is not for me. Judas is dope but likely way off. Sonic X Shadow Generations looks fun but I'll likely play it on Xbox.

I'm a bit concerned about SH2 REmake. It looks OK but that's not enough. This is almost like a sacred title, Bloober just can't mess it up. I'm pretty sure they'll nail the atmosphere but the combat looked dull. Maybe Capcom should've handled this remake...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Take note Microsoft- less fucking talk by devs to show how virtuous you are and more fucking games/gameplay, much like what Sony did today! Loved this State of Play and am excited to play many of these games!
Yeah......no doubt that I much prefer just letting the games doing the talking instead of a bunch of random developers reading some bullshit script.
Thats the way game shows should be. But often times the video game workers have a knack of trying to be chummy with gamers acting like their best friend, getting face time trying to be popular, or trying to talk over some bad footage or cut to them doing office life in hopes you dont focus too much on the sketchy game video.

If Nike has new shoes to promote, they are going to show you the shoes and maybe a star athlete promoting it by wearing it and running or jumping in it. They arent going to split the time between the shoe and showing some R&D or marketing people in an office staring at the camera talking about it. Just show the shoes.

E

Pretty weak showcase, future doesn't look bright for Playstation
Even though I liked some stuff shown, it sure does looks like the days of old PlayStation E3 days are never coming back.

When was the last time they dropped a megaton ? Maybe I have changed and the Kojima moment was the megaton, but when there is not even a logo, you know we are like 6 years away.

Ribi

Judas and Metro we neat.

But walking sims with bad story boggles my mind.

D... A little better than Xbox one but meh

nashman

Compared to other SoPs this actually kept me awake! B plus.

Stop trying to compare this to to old E3s those days are dead and gone.

Killjoy-NL

B+

Really liked what I've seen of SH: Short Message, Metro VR (day 1), obviously Death Stranding 2.
Helldivers 2 and Until Dawn are a day 1 purchase.

That V Rising looked interesting.

Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin and that ZZZ game looked good as well, although they don't do it for me.

The rest was whatever.

Could've been an A if they showed some more multiplayer and VR games.
Was hoping to see Concorde, but I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer.

Last edited:

Ribi

Take note Microsoft- less fucking talk by devs to show how virtuous you are and more fucking games/gameplay, much like what Sony did today! Loved this State of Play and am excited to play many of these games!
Did we not just get like 5min of Kojima rubbing his balls at the end?

OuterLimits

Definitely a C. I continue to be underwhelmed by what Sony is doing. My least favorite Sony generation but fortunately it is just the halfway point or so.

dottme

ive put a B. I like the rhythm and the presentation. A lot of game looks quite good. But there’s no game that feel like a killer app for me.

Ghostage

C, I think it started off strong with Helldivers and Stellar Blade but the rest was quite underwhelming. The show would possibly have been a B if I was excited for DS2 but the first one was not fun at all.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Ok, I can kind of understand the B grades if you only own a playstation. So, I guess it's that crowd that's rating it so highly.

The curse of owning a PC strikes again I guess.

Luke warm for me, there was no real must haves for my playstations at all. I mean Stellar Blade could be a must have if they nail it, which I hope they do but i havr no knowledge if the studio deserves to have faith put in it. The rest were all PC/multi plat games or just looked poor imo.

It's just different tastes I guess. Like giving this an A Is wild to me.

Just having kojima say he is working on an interactive film....we've seen this for years. No footage...no title card even...Just playing the audience like a fiddle and it clearly works every time.

Not seeing an A or B at all, but I guess if you only own a playstation you could see it as a B, but even then I think it's a push.

Last edited:

Thabass

C. They went too long with Kojima. Way too long and I love the guy.

I also wasn't the biggest DS fan, so a lot of that just didn't interest me too much. Rise of the Ronin looks damn good tho. Definitely down to play that.

No. I need more than words to get excited for something.
I agree that he should have saved this game announcement for when they had trailer footage ready, as an actual surprise reveal.

I blame the constant need for a ‘one more thing’ end announcement.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Sad to see most people didn't like Ronin, for me it was the highlight.
Games like that always have the problem of being compared to their closest equivalent, and you can't compare a trailer with a full game that had years to be played by millions of gamers. Ghost of Tsuchima and Assasin's creed both lack some of what had been shown here, but they are known quantity, and this game is not. It is like all Souls game clone, regardless of how good they are, why use a substitute when you can go to the original? Maybe a demo or a deeper look closer to launch will help the game. I was not interested on Ghost at first but the State of play made me interested when we got a full gameplay session of it.

Gandih42

I'd say the show was pretty good, although not that blown away by it. A strong "C" in my book, thought I'd be tempted to go for "B" due to some decent looking VR games. I think mostly because it showcased stuff that's already well known/established. For me a "B" would require the announcement of a major new IP with at least a trailer and some footage. An "A" would be new IP with gameplay.

That being said, it did make me realize that there are a lot more games in 2024 that I'm highly interested than I thought. Rise of the Ronin looks like an excellent evolution of the Team Ninja soulslike/action games, Helldivers 2 looks really fun and surprisingly visually impressive, Dragon's Dogma 2 keeps looking like the follow up to Dragons Dogma 1 we all deserve, and while I don't really like the character designs of it that much, the combat, monsters and world of Stellar Blade looks cool. Death Stranding 2 also looks much better than I thought it would, I'm hoping they really double down on the 'for real' walking sim gameplay of the first one.

Last edited:

Hudo

C-. It was solid and better than the usual State of Plays. But still pretty lackluster, imho.

Good for Kojima that both Sony and Microsoft are bending over backwards for him. He has his revenue secured.

Mr.ODST

C/D

DS2 looked incredible, I did not finish the first one so I will go back on my PS5 to complete it soon.

Stellar Blade, Rise of Ronin and Silent Hill 2 looked awful.

Rise of Ronin especially, as we know with Team Ninja is most likely similar to Nioh maybe or more action-focused but looked bland, Silent Hill 2 didn't look great (was my most anticipated going into this SoP) and Stellar Blade a mixed bag, some of the action looks great but something seems off.

LastBattle

No problems happy to answer from at least the games that I care about.

Stellar Blade looks to be a very fun and engaging game. Combat looks first rate and the art style for the most part is great. Visually it looks good but personally I’m not a fan of the flat cartoonish looking characters. Also noticed some very below average muddy texture work. Some of the environments also look a bit drab. Don’t get me wrong, I think it looks good, however nothing that probably couldn’t be done on PS4.

Judas, seems this has been received well and I might be alone in my thinking, but it looks pretty rough visually. Honestly I thought it was a PSVR title because the visuals looks really basic and lack detail. I played Bioshock recently and in my opinion Bioshock looks better visually. Especially in terms of lighting and environmental detail.

Silent hill, nothing needs to be said. It looked awful and the combat couldn’t be any more janky looking. We are spoilt by other recent survival horror games.

Rise of the Ronin, you already mentioned visually it looks pretty mid, plus some of the animations are stiff and awkward. Similar to Wolong, which I really enjoyed, but it had its warts.

I’m really looking forward to Hell Divers but don’t expect them to deliver massively in the visuals department as it’s from a smaller studio.

DS2 looked beautiful.

When I say rough, I’m judging through a lense of what I expect from PlayStation games and don’t feel the above games hit that level of quality we’ve become accustomed to. I’m willing to admit I could be wrong, because the video was compressed, though I did watch the individual 4k trailers before writing this.

Also Personally there wasn’t anything shown that made me feel crazy excited, which is also why I rated the SoP a C.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
The games looked decent, but where the hell is Sony‘s first party?

Are they asleep?
They probably feel the need to not rush any first party games when they are so dominant in the console space already. Makes perfect sense but is also a bit frustrating as a player. They’re relying heavily on 2nd party partnerships this half of the generation, that is clear.

Top Bottom