• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the State of Play (31st January 2024)

Rate the state of play

• Total voters

Quantum253

I guess. Could also be this new IP of his is a transmedia push (game, movie, tv series), at least from what I gathered.

Tho could be very much a thing with the tech they'll be using too.

Also: it was a smart move to have Herman Hulst out there and some of the creators there at the SOP and present with him (Kojima in the latter case). Just to reinforce that association with the public.
Agree, seeing Herman in the Head of Studios role was nice to see in support. What made me wonder about the video was the emphasis on video/music/actors/scripts/etc. Then the pan away where it looked real, but fake at the same time. It would be interesting to see a game with that level of detail and character interactions.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Easy B. And they’re still holding back multiple studios titles in development no doubt. They don’t even need to try hard this generation with Xbox being so lacklustre, their 2nd party relationships are doing a lot of the heavy lifting for them this gen. Would have liked to see more from first party but I imagine a lot of games will hit late in to the generation when the pro is released.

Perrott

Gold Member
Death Stranding 2 looks great, really no more need be said there. I'm even more curious about the not-MGS project Kojima Productions & Sony/SIE are working on. Sounds like it'll be a 2026 release if I caught the mentions correctly. Just to complete the circle, they should get Kurt Russel to do the main character (I mean, Snake is inspired from his character in Escape from New York anyway).
It won't be a 2026 release, but he looks forward to start discussing it more around then as he'll celebrate his 40th year in the industry that year.

Mortisfacio

C for me. Death Stranding sucked beyond the cool aesthetics so I don't care about the 2nd. Dragons Dogma 2, Silent Hill 2 and Judas look cool. Will get them all on PC. Miss me on everything else.

Last edited:
If you can't see the jankiness in stellar blade then let's see how it is it launch. The rest of my stream was fine but framerate and consistency was all over the place in that game. If they nail the nier automata clone it could be great. We will see. I need to see more. I can't see why you're gushing over it but each to their own. I hope it's good.

Dude, I literally just went back and re-watched the footage...there is no jankiness. If you call that "jankiness", then I feel bad for 'ya. The framepacing looks just fine for me in that footage, even when stuff gets hectic.

As for why I'm gushing over it...well not only because of the character designs, visual design, world design, combat and story but...

...c'mon, you know why. Just look at my profile pic.

I'm surprised you are so shocked at my comments about rise of ronin, it looks very similar to GOT to me and I was just under the impression that a sequel is being made of that game that we expect to be announced soon. Of course similar games can exist I just didn't expect something so similar. The combat looks nothing like ninja gaiden and more like GOT To me. Do you not see it?

Maybe they take some influences from GOT but you'd think a great game would inspire other games that came out later, right? In any case, it's clearly not a GOT clone, that's a bit of a downplay IMO considering Sucker Punch were inspired by games like Nioh and Ninja Gaiden when making GOT themselves.

RoTR and GOT2 can co-exist, look at all the Soulsborne clones that co-exist these days, or all the FPS titles that do the same. So again it's kinda weird to think RoTR existing means there's nothing happening with GOT2. When Sucker Punch are ready to show it off, they'll show it off. If anything among Sony 1P studios it's Naughty Dog who need to show off a hint of what future game(s) they've got coming, hopefully at a later Showcase. If they do or not is up for debate.

Seems strange that they would show death stranding 2 and mention the other game at the end in January of 2024...what do they have for the second half of this year?

Who knows, maybe there's a surprise to be announced at a future SOP or Showcase? We'll have to wait and see I guess. But it wouldn't be the first year Sony went a holiday without a big new 1P AAA release, they kinda did that in 2021 as well.

Silent hill looks shockingly bad.

I think it (both the free game and SH2) looks fine. But on topic of SH2, seeing it with the behind-the-shoulder view is weird at first, but I think it can be gotten used to relatively quickly. However I can see purists having an issue if there is no option for fixed perspectives; the original game meticulously framed shots taking the perspective and composition of fixed angles into account.

That could be lost with the transition of the new camera, but I guess we'll see what happens there.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Personally Kojima and I got beef....but overall the show gets a B.

I hope every silent hill person is happy.
I'm down for dogma
I'll chop some ro-butts up Stellarly
And hopefully I'll get a rise out of Ronin

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
B+

-Surprisingly, Stellar ass looked good and with high production values. - B

-DS2 is literally the craziest and BEST thing I've ever seen in this medium so far (RDR2 excluded)- A++

-Rise of the Ronin , sorry but it looked like the usual KT tripe (not a fan Nioh and wulong) with incredibly underwhelming graphics, just give us fucking ninja Gaiden 4 already - C

- Metro : absolutely loved what I saw but I don't have a psvr2 - B+

- Dragon's dogma 2 looked spectacular but I'm gonna grab it when the PS5 pro comes out - B

- Judas : couldn't care less, looks like yet another Levine game (B.Infinite specifically), feels like I played this game 3 times already - C

- silent Hill 2 remake : fuck bloober team and Konami, absolutely laughable showing, this shit needs to restarted with another dev at the helm - F

- ZZZ looked fun - B

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Dude, I literally just went back and re-watched the footage...there is no jankiness. If you call that "jankiness", then I feel bad for 'ya. The framepacing looks just fine for me in that footage, even when stuff gets hectic.

As for why I'm gushing over it...well not only because of the character designs, visual design, world design, combat and story but...

...c'mon, you know why. Just look at my profile pic.

Maybe they take some influences from GOT but you'd think a great game would inspire other games that came out later, right? In any case, it's clearly not a GOT clone, that's a bit of a downplay IMO considering Sucker Punch were inspired by games like Nioh and Ninja Gaiden when making GOT themselves.

RoTR and GOT2 can co-exist, look at all the Soulsborne clones that co-exist these days, or all the FPS titles that do the same. So again it's kinda weird to think RoTR existing means there's nothing happening with GOT2. When Sucker Punch are ready to show it off, they'll show it off. If anything among Sony 1P studios it's Naughty Dog who need to show off a hint of what future game(s) they've got coming, hopefully at a later Showcase. If they do or not is up for debate.

Who knows, maybe there's a surprise to be announced at a future SOP or Showcase? We'll have to wait and see I guess. But it wouldn't be the first year Sony went a holiday without a big new 1P AAA release, they kinda did that in 2021 as well.

I think it (both the free game and SH2) looks fine. But on topic of SH2, seeing it with the behind-the-shoulder view is weird at first, but I think it can be gotten used to relatively quickly. However I can see purists having an issue if there is no option for fixed perspectives; the original game meticulously framed shots taking the perspective and composition of fixed angles into account.

That could be lost with the transition of the new camera, but I guess we'll see what happens there.

Just watched the stellar blade 4k trailer and I take back everything I said! Sorry bro. Looks smooth. I have no idea what happened on my stream while that game was on. Forgive me, please.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
A.
The pacing was good, almost game after game after game. Even if some of them don't interest me, enough did that I consider it a very good State of Play. Stellar Blade showed a lot, outside of pure gameplay, and that will be shown closer to launch. I give it the benefit of the doubt until then. I liked that they shoved Eve with different outfits each time. Make it clear that customisations will be available and make trust the trailer as real time more. Dragon Dogma 2 was a good surprise for me. I will look into it more. Rise of the ronin was a ghsot of tsuchima clone at first, but the game is clearly more open and gamey if I can say so. I will maybe play it for cheap in a few months.
Death stranding 2 is amazing. Like TLOU it should not have a sequel but they will find a way to make it work.

Hestar69

C maybe C+ 6.5/10 IMO

Judas and Stellar look good,Ronin looks alright. waited for ff7 info/demo gotta wait another week for that..smh

Just watched the stellar blade 4k trailer and I take back everything I said! Sorry bro. Looks smooth. I have no idea what happened on my stream while that game was on. Forgive me, please.

Yeah I was wondering for a sec if maybe it was a stream issue. I know on the stream I was watching (the official one), one small part briefly repeated back, like a small hitch, but I attributed that to the stream.

Trust me man, if the gameplay looked janky and jerky, I'd be one of the first to mention it. Games like this can't have type of performance, the player base would never stand for it. It's a miracle tho how Bayonetta 3 got away with it (guess it being a Switch game made people give it a ton of leeway).

Gaffers giving this a D or E are so disingenuous

The usual suspects

Cry Love GIF by Pudgy Penguins
Mad Max Reaction GIF

Vol5

Excellent show. Dave the Diver and V Rising coming to PS5 is brilliant news. Looks like Helldivers is 60fps. Silent Hill 2 looks good. Stellar Blade looks phenomenal. Judas as well....Fuck...And then DS2 and then what amounts to a new MGS?

Sony back at the races

Raonak

Banned
A-

Very good, great lineup of games, the VR games looked great too.
The first half of the year looks completely packed.

Need a one last thing first party announcement to put it over the top.
But overall fantastic.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Solid C for me after rewatching the stellar blade trailer.

Basically one game on this show that I may pick up on my ps5 in the first half of 2024.

Stellar blade looks like it could be the spiritual successor to noer automata I've dreamed of. I hope they nail it.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Only exclusive game that looked good to me and that was Death Stranding 2. But that is 2025. Dragons Dogma 2 is multi platform as was Judas, but they looked good. Rise of Ronin looks like a budget Ghost of Tsushima.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Kojima Productions seemed like it was struggling 4 years ago. Now it has three projects cooking...
Yeah, that new ‘espionage’ game will be 2028 at earliest, especially since they have another game they are working on and DS2 comes out in 2025.

Camreezie

B

Lack of release dates and the kojima cock guzzling with vague details at the end knocked it down from an A.

Judas, Silent Hill 2 no release windows wtf

DS2 looked dope but 2025 wtf

Stellar Blade in April was nice

Astray

Gold Member
I gave it a B.

Much better than that incredibly awful showcase, but it's also a bit diminished by not having dates on most of its truly strong titles for me.

It's the start of something I think I predicted here, which is Sony pushing Hermen Hulst as its mouthpiece and sort of counter for Phil Spencer. It also feels almost like an apology for the last showcase.

B+ for Stellar Blade, DS2, Rise of the Ronin. Not totally sold on Silent Hill 2 remake, not interested in other games and disappointed by Silent Hill The Short Message.

I just wanted to know what bluepoint is up to… steller blade, ronin goddamn my wallet these looked awesome

Gotta wait a bit longer for that I suppose. One of the few things that future SOPs or a proper Showcase later in the year can start to address. My gut says maybe Bend, Asobi, Bluepoint and Naughty Dog are going to show something of an upcoming project at various points this year.

Well, hopefully anyway.

I gave it a B.

Much better than that incredibly awful showcase, but it's also a bit diminished by not having dates on most of its truly strong titles for me.

It's the start of something I think I predicted here, which is Sony pushing Hermen Hulst as its mouthpiece and sort of counter for Phil Spencer. It also feels almost like an apology for the last showcase.

Can you imagine a Herman vs. Phil boxing match? Fastest KO in history?

My money's on Herman, baby!

Last edited:
Top Bottom