• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the State of Play (31st January 2024)

Rate the state of play

• Total voters

Mr Hyde

Rated it C for me. Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin and DS2 looks great and are must buys, but the rest was kinda meh. Silent Hill 2 was a massive disappointment. RE2 game play and it was downgraded pretty severely.

T-Cake

Very well presented but hardly anything that I was interested in - just the Until Dawn remaster for PC.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Meh , Kojima's next game announcement was the best thing about the show.

I think I just need to see the switch 2 to really get excited about something

I'd give it at least a 9/10. Steller Blade looks REALLY good, could be the start of a great new franchise IMO. Death Stranding 2 looks hype (tho a bit later than anticipated), Kojima's got some MGS-like project in the works, and I actually really quite enjoyed everything they showed off. Rise of the Ronin looks pretty good and fun, if not graphically stunning (tho the Nioh games weren't either and were strong fun in their own right).

This is probably the best SOP they've had in at least 18 months, maybe ever (tho I am not recollecting every single SOP from memory). Glad to see the turnaround from the tepid Showcase back in May last year. I just hope we get some sneak peaks at some of the other stuff 1P & 3P are cooking exclusive-wise in the near future at future SOPs and Showcases later in the year.

So yeah, it gets an A from me, or at least a very high B+.

Last edited:

DanielG165

The massive hubris of Kojima-San, and Rise of the Ronin (as much as I want my Ninja Gaiden sequel/remake), are what saved this show for me.

A high C.

Bkdk

Didn't watch everything but this might be the first time I see state of play without a major ugly female character! That's some big improvement from sony.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Can you give it a F? Watched it with my wee lad and we thought every game looked awful, sure DS2 looked amazing visually but who the fuck knows what going on in that game but everything else has PS4vibes all over them

Jakk

Pretty good for a State of Play. Maybe even the best one yet? Although that's not saying much. And at least there weren't developers constatly talking about something like in the Xbox Direct.

GHG

B.

Just because of DS2 and Stellar Blade.

Everything else was meh. Really disappointed in what was shown of rise of Ronin, that's coming in hot. Bloober is fucking up everything we know and love about silent hill as we speak, and it's a shame.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

i mean one game really did all the heavy lifting, but judas and ronin looked great too so i'll give it a B.

Short message might be interesting.

Negatives: all the weeb shit, SH2 (classic blooper)

RGB'D

Started slow ended great 8/10

B+

DS2 looked amazing, please let me play that on a PS5 Pro
Please let me play on PC! Agreed DS2 looks phenomenal. Highlight for me. And hyped for next Kojima espionage. And Judas!!!! Rise of Ronin didn't do anything for me. SB looks alright. Definitely better than past SOP

T4keD0wN

C

No date for Judas, 4A making a VR game instead of something cutting edge visually, Bloober sucks, Ronin looked janky, Death Stranding 2 weirdness saved it.

Other than Death Stranding setting a new bar for realtime visuals and overall production values, I thought it was weak. Nothing from Sony studios? Really? Judas looks interesting, and I’ll follow the Bioshock gang anywhere, but still.

Last edited:
Was that last scene with Hideo going out of the studio an example of the tech that game will be using for graphic fidelity

I guess. Could also be this new IP of his is a transmedia push (game, movie, tv series), at least from what I gathered.

Tho could be very much a thing with the tech they'll be using too.

Also: it was a smart move to have Herman Hulst out there and some of the creators there at the SOP and present with him (Kojima in the latter case). Just to reinforce that association with the public.

Last edited:

EDMIX

This showcase finally sold me on Stella Blade and has proper release date and……it’s not F2P online only BS, it s looks like proper SP action game that not trying to be “Souls-like”

It was always a day 1 for me, but I feel they showed a lot more and it looks like the game could be a bit closer to something like Nier then DMC like I assumed, so I actually can see how it sold you more so with this trailer.

This is a solid B showing imho.

I like almost everything they showed and they are correct to keep some cards close to the chest and trickle out information as it suits them.

SenkiDala

C to me, very slow start, I'm quite scared for the "free to play SH" but well it's free. They're presenting SH2 like a TPS game which scares me even more.

Death Stranding 2 is again unbelievable and it's proving again, if it was needed, that Kojima is the greatest creator in the gaming industry ever.

But again the game will come out on PC... Outside of Ronin and the next "espionnage game" from Kojima we didn't see any PS5 exclusives or 1st party titles to come. That, again, is concerning.

I know "but but but exclusives are dead it's normal", well sure, it's normal when it's Sony and it's shit and what caused the downfall of Xbox right ?

What is doing Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, we (at least I) want a new licence, or at least a UC5 or TLOU3...

Once again very excited about Death Stranding 2 and FFVII Rebirth but pfff nothing really exclusive. I'm just getting older and I regret the excitement that was a new exclusive game.

Rockman33

One of the few that really stood out to me was DS2. But I didn’t really enjoy the gameplay of 1 so I will probably skip it. Awesome trailer for it though.

Judas looks incredible.

Rest of the games looks so similar to other exact games of the same genre.

GHG

E

Pretty weak showcase, future doesn't look bright for Playstation

Here's to another record breaking year avengers.

Great Gatsby Movie GIF by Sony

hinch7

DS2 and Judus made up for this show. Kojima killed it with this showing and an announcement of a new game and IP. Other games weren't bad per se just not my kind of thing. Though, SH2 looks terrible which is unfortunate. That short P.T like game for free isn't bad either

And considering this is a State of Play which are usually god awful - High C to a low B. Going with the latter.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Please let me play on PC! Agreed DS2 looks phenomenal. Highlight for me. And hyped for next Kojima espionage. And Judas!!!! Rise of Ronin didn't do anything for me. SB looks alright. Definitely better than past SOP
Oh if it would launch day and date on PC thats where I will be playing

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I really can't understand why sony have funded rise of ronin. Is ghost of tsushima 2 not being worked on?

Stellar blade looked like a technical mess trying to be nier automata but maybe they nail it and it comes together performance wise by launch. They have what? 3 months.

Rise of the ronin looks like it could either be amazing or a assassin's creed, GOT sekiro rip off that doesn't nail it.

Ds2 looks like genuine insanity and saved the show. Looks amazing can't wait to see that running natively in front of me.

Jurassic will be amazing but I'll be playing that on pc like the other biochock games.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
NEGATIVE:

Silent Hill 2 downgraded.
Rise of Ronin looks like a PS3 game.
Too much anime waifu trash
Wish Ken Levine's game had a higher budget.
Another Remake with Until Dawn
NO SONY FIRST PARTY

POSITIVE:

Death Stranding 2 looks like real next gen graphic.
New Kojima IP, Exclusive.

"One more thing" was solid but likely a PS6 game. Needed another 1st Party title, and I'd give it a B

Gambit2483

No that fall in the blah category. The first game was so boring, put over 12 hours into it on PC and it never got better.
Ahh ok. Sorry to hear, I got to the WW2 Combat sections and it was insanely awesome and tense during those parts

Top Bottom