• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate The State of Play

What would you rate this State of Play?

• Total voters
Helldivers, Spider-Man and FF continue to look great.

Probably the most awkward, terrible opening to a show in the history of these direct style presentations from any company. Cannot believe they led with that.
I agree with your statement, but I think they wanted to get rid of the most boring stuff out as fast as possible lol. But yeah, opener is important, should have just been in a indie mid segment.

MarkMe2525

It was aiight. Not negative and gave us a glimpse of some upcoming games, but nothing blew my away. I also don't think it was meant to blow me away. Spiderman looked fun, I don't know how I feel about the wing suit though.

Midn1ght

Meh... Spidey 2 and FF7 Rebirth looking great but I want to see new stuff from Sony's first party. I knew we weren't getting anything like that going in but still...

Fbh

Pretty boring.
They said what it would focus on but I was hoping maybe we'd see Stellar Blade or Little Devil inside, some of these games that have gone MIA. Instead we just got the obvious stuff.

Rebirth looks great though.

Reactions: Isa

Kusarigama

That new Spider-Man 2 trailer with more polished graphics and FF7 Rebirth trailer were the peak. It hit me the way I felt when I saw PS2 games after PS1.

Also Resident Evil 4 VR, Seperate ways and Helldivers 2 were awesome too.

Last edited:
3/5
Too short. I only interested in Spider-Man 2 and Helldiver 2. No Stellar Blade. No Rise of the Ronin. And wtf with Baby Steps... How the hell does that game make the way into State of Play

bender

What time is it?
1 - Baby Steps Trailer (missed opportunity to employ Jack Black)
4 - Resident Evil 4VR Mode PSVR2 Trailer (looks cool)
5 - Resident Evil 4 Separate Ways DLC Announced (expected)
7 - Ghostrunner 2 Trailer + Demo Now (where is my demo?)
10 - Spiderman 2 Open World and Gameplay Reveal (map size is a good improvement and it seems like they are focusing on better side content, but didn't show much)
14 - Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth Gameplay and Release Date Reveal (I wasn't planning on getting this but Vincent...)

tmlDan

Meh... Spidey 2 and FF7 Rebirth looking great but I want to see new stuff from Sony's first party. I knew we weren't getting anything like that going in but still...
None of the games they showed go past feb, 2024 (i believe) so set your expectations to that time frame

Little Mac

Gold Member
3/5 ... FFVII saved it from being an absolute shit show. I don't care about non-canon spider suits as much as Sony wants me to it seems. Foamsters? Fuck off. And whoever thought starting the show with Qwop 2 and a couple of VR titles should be fired.

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

SEGA_2012

One star. No SH2 remake.
Spider man 2 looks boring.
Final Fantasy 7 has great graphics but aside of this we can't expect much from Square.
Resident Evil 4 DLC looks terrible.

Crayon

Weak. Though the 7R trailer was absolutely amazing. The whole thing was short so was worth watching just for that.

Landed with a thud for me. Starting with god awful Baby Steps told me to set expectations really, really low.

Sure, there's some games that should be good there but most we knew about. This just feels like something they felt they had to throw out there to get people talking.

Elios83

Spiderman 2 and FF7 Rebirth were amazing. The latter is also coming earlier than anticipated. Ending the year with a bang and begin the new one with an other :pie_hugging
Also the Avatar game seems really impressive technically.
And I will get the RE4 dlc with Ada.
Not interested in Helldivers2.

4/5 for what it was, a simple update showcase.

Midn1ght

None of the games they showed go past feb, 2024 (i believe) so set your expectations to that time frame
Do we expect another showcase this year or some new stuff during Keighley's show? I mean, what's coming from Sony's Studio in 2024 beside their GAAS titles? I might have missed some announcements actually.

Bkdk

Bad, where the hell is stellar blade? shift up certainly wants to defend their booty but sony doesn't want it, so the game just keeps getting delayed, also shift up is enjoying all the money they made from nikke so no rush with this anymore.

[Sigma]

There was some bad moments for me personally, im not a Roblox fan and Baby Steps didn't need to be shown lol. Still the other games held it up for me than I listed and it was short so it's definitely getting a passing grade from me. Sucks I gotta wait til February for Helldivers 2 but maybe i'll learn to hibernate for a few months after Spidey-2 lol. And despite the cringey like interaction in the Helldivers 2 video, it's not fake in a sense that you will need to communicate and those things will happen to you like that. Spidey-2 has me really excited now, that trailer did it for me more than the others. And of course Final Fantasy VII Rebirth looked excellent.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

initially a 7 but looking back there's some games there i'm damn hyped for, obviously SM2 and FF7 rebirth, But games like avatar, i know people here gonna be all pissy about it because grrrr ubisoft but it looks awesome, helldivers 2 is gonna be such an awesome co-op time and finally that baby steps game could be a laugh or two.

so all in all a 7.5 maybe an 8

1out of 5………crapfest imo. Nothing we didnt know about or havent seen yet. I know this was a third party and Indies show but when will Sony actually show or talk about their first party games they are working on? State of Disarray is what I would call these Sony shows since Ryan has taken over.

Last edited:

simpatico

Twas a ride of the LOLercoaster. A third party DLC and some indie junkware. Spiderman 2 which we've already seen and played (twice actually). Why even have a state of play for that?

EruditeHobo

Rated 4... maybe a 4-minus or something? But definitely solid showing. I will play a handful of the games displayed here. Not mad at it.

Ready for SM2! Looks great.

Copying and pasting here:

My rating is a C.

For some reason, and I checked my video twice to be sure, the state of play felt like it was moving at almost 1.5x speed in presentation after the first two games shown. Trailers and footage were going by way too fast before I could even think about what I just saw.

I'd need someone who understands the inner workings of a video game company's youtube/twitch channel to tell me why it's a bad thing that they go over runtime on their own channel for their own show.

It was good.

Was missing Stellar Blade though where tf is that game? Little Devil Inside? It’s like these games just vanish after delays.
After multiple of delays, Little Devil Inside was finally supposed to be a Winter 2022 release - but we're now approaching Winter 2023 with no updates. :(

Stellar Blade recently got a physical release confirmation so at least there's that.

Saber

Gold Member
Judging from the list alone, D.

Nothing in this list catch my attention and the only shit I know and care in this is Final Fantasy. Looks like I did good not watching it.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Went in with ultra low expectations so thats probably helped, but it was great. Both spiderman and ff7 looks insane...but where the hell is kojimaaaaaaaa

Last edited:

TexMex

I agree with your statement, but I think they wanted to get rid of the most boring stuff out as fast as possible lol. But yeah, opener is important, should have just been in a indie mid segment.

Bury it in the middle, people should be excited when it opens. And it wasn’t even that it was boring, it was that it was so painfully unfunny and awkward, not to mention barely looks like a game. Just truly mind blowing.

GHG

It was eh to ok. Between 2 and 3 stars.

The spiderman showing was much better, the tales of arise expansion was a nice surprise, and the less said about helldivers the better.

Really not sure what Sony are playing at, next year is looking just as sparse as this from a 1st party perspective.

Last edited:

Fake

Shit as usual. If someone really expected something from State of Play, my condolences.

This show have been proved to be the worst from time to time.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
5/5 simply because I was not expecting Spidey-homies and Arise DLC.

And that Rebirth trailer fucking nailed it.

Last edited:
The worst livestream I've ever sat through.
If it weren't for Spider-Man 2 and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth I would've sold my PS5.
Really, it's been almost a year since Silent Hill 2 was revealed, but nooooooo, people would rather hear about Square Enix's shitty Splatoon ripoff
Oh, and can't forget PlayStation Studios' four player co op shooter! You're really breaking new ground, Sony!

It was gonna be hard for Sony to put on a more disappointing show than Nintendo today, but they really put the work in.

Astray

Gold Member
I thought this show was ok, but it could have been better if it had followed a better showing than Sony's last SoP. Certainly better than Nintendo's, which was a complete let down for me.

A lot of this show is them following up on last show's mediocre to good stuff and it shows.

Also they are clearly trying to find someone in their management team that can connect with fans.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me its 3, RE4 DLC and FFVII Rebirth was great and I might check Tales of Arise DLC, it was decent.

Top Bottom