• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the Summer Game Fest Showcase 2023

Rate the Summer Game Fest Showcase 2023

• It was fantastic

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • It was very good

Votes: 53 17.1%
  • It was okay

Votes: 114 36.8%
  • It was mediocre

Votes: 65 21.0%
  • It was poor

Votes: 50 16.1%
  • It was very bad

Votes: 23 7.4%

• Total voters
I didn't watch it as I just got off work but looking at the trailers and what was announced it looks very blah

After Sony completely shit the bed I thought there would be a couple of things I enjoyed but not really.

I'm hoping the Xbox showcase sucks too so it'll be a full sweep
Xbox will probably have a good conference for GAF. Their main issue is always making sure they follow up with release dates. They failed to meet their 12-month release plan last time. I don't know what their objective will be for the showcase this time around.

T4keD0wN

I am only interested in buying Lysfanga: The Time Shift Warrior which stole the show and Space Marine 2 (I will watch mortal kombat story on youtube)

Everything else shown has failed to evoke even a single sliver of emotion in me. (aside from witcher netflix show which is not game related, that disgusted me, i had to hit the mute button and turn my head away)

They failed to sell me stuff which is the point of the show, D for effort? Even Playstation show was better and i plan on dying without ever touching a console.

Last edited:

Fbh

It was ok, I guess I'd give it a 6/10.
I'll commend them for showing a lot of gameplay which instantly makes it better than one of the CG heavy shows.
There were a handful of things which I liked but a large part of it felt like boring filler.

Just like the Sony event I'm mostly disappointed by the lack of announcements. Every single thing I liked here was just a new trailer for a previously announced game.

Are no (non indie) studios working on big new games that aren't shitty online GAAS?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Goat Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Denton

Better than Sony's, that one was 1/10, this one was 2/10.

Still mostly trash that would make outside industry person think this game industry is dumpsterfiring garbage.

But at least Alan Wake and Banishers look ok. Maybe Lies of P. But of course, no surprises at all. Mostly gaas and cartoon bullshit.

Last edited:
SGF lived up to expectations of....SGF.

The main problem is that there were no really new announcements, anything unexpected. Biggest reveals like MK1 or FF7R or AW2 like were known quantities - without reveal we knew how those games would look or even play.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

To those who didn't like it or thought it was meh, what were you even wanting?
I bet if they shown Silent Hill, MGS3 gameplay and Elden Ring DLC you probably would've lost your mind.

I was glad I didn't watch it live. I think I scrubbed ahead through most of it. Nothing important to me in there at all.

EDIT: Sandland looks interesting

Last edited:

Crew511A

These games shows suck, because the games industry sucks right now. One of the highlights of my gaming life was going to CES in 1993. There were so many amazing games that I wanted to play there. Maybe I'm just old and jaded, but I don't seem to be blown away as much as I did back then.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Was a lot better than I was expecting....

Amazing how good a show can be when the emphasis is on showing gameplay.

Something I would have thought sony figured out being they were the masters of doing just that.

I am not sure what people were expecting here, I thought it was decent.

No disrespect to anyone here, but some people here just wither have lost passionate for gaming or are jaded beyond belief. I suggest you find a different hobby, because some of the replies here come of rather miserable and quite laughable.

Lots of high profile titles with gameplay trailers and releases my favorites were the following in no particular order or ranks.

Alan Wake 2
Warhammer 40K Space Marine 2
FF 7 Rebirth
Fortnite New Season Trailer
MK 1
Sonic Superstars
Toxic Commando
Blasphemous 2
Lies of P
Prince of Persia The Lost Crown

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Was a lot better than I was expecting....

Amazing how good a show can be when the emphasis is on showing gameplay.

Something I would have thought sony figured out being they were the masters of doing just that.
Sony could've easily slapped the same release date onto Spider-Man 2, taken the Alan Wake gameplay, and showed the Rebirth trailer. Instead, they decided to fill out their show with indies.

The thing about their gameplay focused shows is that you had a smaller number of games.

lol what do people want from this show to be a 10 ?
Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo won't announce some new games here so you are left with some little news from them and
third party games.
and those ads you complain every goddamn year pay the bills for Geoff

Alan Wake, Mortal Combat, Immortals, Lies Of P, Nicholas Cage, Warhammer, Spiderman, that game Banishers looks good
it was a good show

HL3.exe

Poor, i'm pretty much done with 'epic overly dramatic voice over's', 'quirky characters with quips', uninspired genre tropes (where there a lot of games set in medieval/fantasy, ultra space sci-fi settings or have anime trapping, or what?) and this show pretty ticked all those tired boxes.

Alan Wake II stood out a bit because it felt more 'timid' with a more original premise.

Games and the industry still feels so juvenile/immature sometimes. I'd hope we would've been past that by now.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

It's good for Geoff, which means it's mediocre at absolute. I would've said it was terrible y if I'd spent a full 2 hours watching.

I also said Wonder Woman or bust. So I'm gonna say it was bad.

SSfox

Not mindblowing, but still very good, with MK1 and FF7R the highlights of the show , AW2 looks POG too

Spiderman 2 release date is nice, but Kinda L Sony didn't announce this in their own showcase, a showcase that was already extra empty of good reveals. Honestly i fail to understand fucking Sony recenlty, like WTF bruh. But Anyway i don't want to be mad right now

Only real bummer was no T8. Eh but anyways can't wait for the news, my most anticipated game on any hardware.

Also bit surprise at no DS2, next TGA i guess.

Anyways this thousands time better than PS Showcase (which tbh wasn't that hard to beat)

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Sony could've easily slapped the same release date onto Spider-Man 2, taken the Alan Wake gameplay, and showed the Rebirth trailer. Instead, they decided to fill out their show with indies.

The thing about their gameplay focused shows is that you had a smaller number of games.
Yup... sony could have done that. And the thing is if they did do that, and showed the other stuff that we didn't like, people wouldn't have complained too much.

But even if they only showed half of what they did but had most of those have gameplay stuff... everyone would have come out happy with the showing.

The problem with that Sony show was that the balance was off. They showed almost 25/30 games. But of those games, maybe only 5 or so of them had actual gameplay and the rest were trailers that we couldn't really get into or get a feel of.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
witcher 4 looked dope
nicolas cage is a great actor
final fantasy will get a new mobile phone game

MiguelItUp

Again, I went in with no expectations, and I was surprised at how "flat" it felt. I know that "E3" is over the next few days, so there's bound to be some other reveals and surprises. But for this to be the encompassing stream for the year, it felt pretty mediocre to me.

Top Bottom