• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the Xbox Showcase 2023

How would you rate the Xbox Showcase 2023

• It was fantastic

Votes: 169 20.2%
  • It was very good

Votes: 298 35.6%
  • It was okay

Votes: 223 26.6%
  • It was mediocre

Votes: 99 11.8%
  • It was poor

Votes: 29 3.5%
  • It was very bad

Votes: 19 2.3%

• Total voters

mxbison

7/10

It was missing a big surprise and a lot of the most interesting games didn't have gameplay and are 2024. Overall a good show and much much better than Sony.

I don't think MS has more to show.
Sony must do another show with more 1st party stuff. Everything else is super bad.
Machine Games - Indiana Jones + Possible Wolfenstein 3
id Software - Doom 3 or Possible Quake Reboot
Avalanche Studio - Working on "Contraband" which is an Xbox/PC exclusive and we only have one trailer shown

Not to mention the games we know are in development like Gears 6 and Perfect Dark. Saying Xbox has nothing more to show is laughable.

Last edited:
B tier for me. Certainly better than the PlayStation GaaS showcase, which had a bunch of CGI trailers and a notch above SGF. Fable looked cool for sure, the Avowed one definitely dropped my hype a little bit, but the screenshots looked nice and colourful, South of Midnight looked interesting and Clockwork Revolution gave me massive Bioshock Infinite & Dishonored vibes(reminded me a bit of Arcanum too) and I love those games, so I'll definitely keep an eye on it. Hellblade II left a bit to be desired and while it looked great, it certainly seemed like it was paired back visually. Starfield was great, definitely one of the highlights of the showcase(and it had it's own as well).

Not really that much into Sea of Thieves and Flight SIM looked great, but it's not really up my alley. Capcom's Path of the Goddess gave off major Onimusha vibes plus the other two big surprises in Star Wars Outlaws and Atlus' newest Jrpg. I'm glad to see that Cdpr took fan feedback to heart and used it to improve Cyberpunk with the upcoming expansion. Motorsport looked nice, but seemed like the visuals weren't as exciting as last year.

Should have created an ID@Xbox segment for the smaller scale projects and Indies. It didn't belong with the AAA's. It was definitely a much better showing than their previous ones. Needed more gameplay though

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Avalanche Studio - Working on "Contraband" which is an Xbox/PC exclusive and we only have one trailer shown

Not to mention the games we know are in development like Gears 6 and Perfect Dark. Saying Xbox has nothing more to show is laughable.
Possibly Psychonauts 3 and State of Decay 3.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Only cared about Avowed and Starfield.......happy I only gave a fuck about that lol

The rest are 3rd party stuff I'm getting on PS5 anyway.

9,5/10 easily. Cant remember a single showcase were i wanted to play all the games. The only game thats not for me is hellblade 2 as its like those sony walking simulators and i hate those games.

Since i am not into RPGs it was basically the same as Sony. Also quite much "in engine" CGI, not enough in game CGI but probably good games, I hate the gametrailers.com format. What's the point of the entire thing if there is no actual show?

ryzen1

Yeah whatever. I still don't think they have more ready to show.
They still need games to show/reveal in the next showcase. Not to mention that they have already shown a lot of games in this showcase. Why should they reveal everything when some of these games are targeted for 2024+?

Last edited:

Gorgon

It looks polished indeed, I just wanted more realistic graphics. It has Bioshock Infinite vibes and knowing the pedigree of Inxile, the RPG part is gonna be amazing.

Personally, it looked kinda outdated but in 4k video it looked much better than during the stream (I watched with other streamers)

I do find it odd that so many Xbox Studios are not pushing graphics much. But gameplay is top notch.

Ah, got it. Well, I love Victoriana but curiously have a dislike for steampunk. I also never played anything by inExile before so I didn't have any sort of expectations going in. And given that the Wastelands trilogy was isometric I was not expecting much on the graphical front. So, when they showed Clockwork Revolution it was a pleasant surprise on all fronts. And yeah, Bioshock vibes all over the place, in a good way. Funny, I was so much more excited for Obsidian and somewhat tepid towards inExile and now the roles have totally inverted: Between The Outer Worlds and the dissapointing Avowed (for me), Obsidian ain't delivering much cattering for my personal tastes. Still, we know that MS wants to turn The Outer Worlds into a big AAA IP, so I'm hopeful that TOW2 will iron out the kinks.

7/10

It was missing a big surprise and a lot of the most interesting games didn't have gameplay and are 2024. Overall a good show and much much better than Sony.

Well, I wasn't expecting any big 1st Party surprise releases this year, so the ones announced for 2024 were pretty much what I expected. As long as MS doesn't delay them to 2025 it's all good.

B tier for me. Certainly better than the PlayStation GaaS showcase, which had a bunch of CGI trailers and a notch above SGF. Fable looked cool for sure, the Avowed one definitely dropped my hype a little bit, but the screenshots looked nice and colourful, South of Midnight looked interesting and Clockwork Revolution gave me massive Bioshock Infinite & Dishonored vibes(reminded me a bit of Arcanum too) and I love those games, so I'll definitely keep an eye on it. Hellblade II left a bit to be desired and while it looked great, it certainly seemed like it was paired back visually. Starfield was great, definitely one of the highlights of the showcase(and it had it's own as well).

Not really that much into Sea of Thieves and Flight SIM looked great, but it's not really up my alley. Capcom's Path of the Goddess gave off major Onimusha vibes plus the other two big surprises in Star Wars Outlaws and Atlus' newest Jrpg. I'm glad to see that Cdpr took fan feedback to heart and used it to improve Cyberpunk with the upcoming expansion. Motorsport looked nice, but seemed like the visuals weren't as exciting as last year.

Avowed: matter of taste, of course. My issue is not so much the graphics quality (it didn't look that bad) but the art direction and atmosphere. Way to colorful, generic, etc. Not at all what I was expecting given the first trailer. Still, we'll see.

South of Midnight: probably not my kind of game, but I really liked the American South vibe. Certainly more interesting than most of what Sony showed. Want to see more.

Hellblade 2: great atmosphere as usual, I love the vibe of the series, but as a trailer it was a let down. Not sure what the hell were they thinking with this one given that tremendous first trailer from a couple years ago. Still my most anticipated MS game.

Flight Sim: I had forgotten that that's on Xbox and Game Pass. Need to check it out. The new one looks quite cool and the free Dune expansion is such a great surprise.

And a lot of other stuff, especially from Atlus and Capcom. Even some of the more Indy stuff looked way more interesting than the Sony show. Dunno, for me it feels like MS and Sony traded places and MS is now carrying the torch for the good stuff. Never thought I'd see that day.

was very meh... not bad but not great either.

one or two things worth mentioning.

probably banking on the ABK ting going through which it isnt.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'll be honest, it was probably the greatest video game show I've ever seen.

Starfield is on track to be the greatest game EVER made. No question. That game will make history and will define video games from now on.

Avowed looks like an Elder Scrolls killer. Pillars of Eternity mixed with Elder Scrolls has my member throbbing.

Forza looks breathtaking, as expected.

Fable looks incredible, although a long way off.

Microsoft are back.

Dr. Suchong

Better than Sony's but not by much.
No Fable gameplay was disapointing.
Avowed was underwhelming aesthetically.
No Megatons to speak of.
Forza looked accomplished as always.
Painfully dull Hellblade 2 trailer, really wanted to see gameplay mechanics etc.
Persona games all looked awesome.
Starfield looked incredible.
Some other titles (forget their names) looked interesting.
Really interested in Flight sim with the new rescue missions, crop spraying, etc etc.
Good overall but few surprises. B

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
In the context of this year and the other presentations we have seen, it was by far the best one. Not every game spoke to me personally but there were plenty of big hype moments (the Starfield direct has me beyond hyped), surprises I'm excited for (Clockwork Revolution, Metaphor Re Fantazia), and not much in the way of boring filler.

If I had to criticize anything, I'd say the lineup is getting very RPG heavy. I love RPGs, but we could use some diversity in terms of the AAA exclusives.

But overall it was the only one of these shows this year that managed to "surprise and delight" like some of my favorite E3 shows of old.

My issue is not so much the graphics quality (it didn't look that bad) but the art direction and atmosphere. Way to colorful, generic, etc.
A lot of it due to graphics quality though - better graphics and lighting and it being colorful would not be a problem.

engstra

Pretty meh. Was better than Sony's but not by much of a margin. Xbox's exclusives have never really enticed me and there wasn't much shown that changed that for me. I'm certain that Starfield will be good but I'm still not super hyped for it. Fable and Clockwork Revolution were intriguing but Ayoade's face gave me uncanny valley vibes.
The two only two games that were deff want to play were that oil rig horror game and the climbing one.

Gorgon

A lot of it due to graphics quality though - better graphics and lighting and it being colorful would not be a problem.

Sure, but a lot of it is personal preference too in terms of art direction. I'm not shitting on the game, I think it will be good and it's still one of my most anticipated. But it does feel quite different from the first trailer, which gave it a more dark fantasy, ominous atmosphere than this. Well, we'll see.

Helghan

I don't know how this could have been any better. Maybe if the next chapter for Halo Infinite was there too, but it got everything people wanted. When the schedule was leaked, everyone said it would be too good to be true, was my first impression too. But they delivered.

Sure, but a lot of it is personal preference too in terms of art direction. I'm not shitting on the game, I think it will be good and it's still one of my most anticipated. But it does feel quite different from the first trailer, which gave it a more dark fantasy, ominous atmosphere than this. Well, we'll see.
I think they will improve the visuals. They have plenty of time.

Loxus

We have a glorified expansion pack in Spider-Man 2 and 3 shitty GAAS games. Can't say a lot of Sony's games are looking great.
You sure about that?

Guerrilla Games
Housemarque
Bend Studio
Bluepoint Games
Insomniac Games
Naughty Dog
Santa Monica Studio
Sucker Punch Productions

Are all working on unannounced single player games and have a track record of producing high quality AAA games. What does Xbox have in development at the level of these studies?

69SO80F.jpg

Like I said, beyond just looking at this year's showcases, Xbox has alot of work to do.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You sure about that?

Guerrilla Games
Housemarque
Bend Studio
Bluepoint Games
Insomniac Games
Naughty Dog
Santa Monica Studio
Sucker Punch Productions

Are all working on unannounced single player games and have a track record of producing high quality AAA games. What does Xbox have in development at the level of these studies?

69SO80F.jpg

Like I said, beyond just looking at this year's showcases, Xbox has alot of work to do.

We aren't discussing games that are not announced. We are talking specifically about what has been confirmed. Sony shit the bed, accept it and move on, kiddo.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Sony's showcase was abot GAAS. and Xbox about singleplayer experiences..both attacked thier weak areas. Problem with Sony that thier show was bland and the lack of gameplay was great...worse show in years.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You sure about that?

Guerrilla Games
Housemarque
Bend Studio
Bluepoint Games
Insomniac Games
Naughty Dog
Santa Monica Studio
Sucker Punch Productions

69SO80F.jpg

I'm still amazed that so many people think that Xbox showcase was good! I thought it was underwhelming even by their typically anaemic standards.

Ain’t gone cap, this show grew on me. Starfield looks so fucking amazing that I have to build a PC just for that game. Show was a 8.5/10. Clockwork looks fire, midnight game looks fire, fable looks funny and matches my sense of humour, indie game 33 player co-op is game changing, forza could be very fun with a racing wheel, yeah I fucked with it

oji-san

Banned
Very good for me, would rate it as 8.
Many games i want, lot of them day one on GP, show had almost no talking and just games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You love to see it, Dreamcastguy probably wasn't expecting this when he made the poll.

Fye0OzTX0AETxUU

Kacho

You love to see it, Dreamcastguy probably wasn't expecting this when he made the poll.

Fye0OzTX0AETxUU
I see that guy in my feed sometimes but never watch his shit. Is he anti-Xbox or something? I was always under the impression that he was a neutral gaming YouTuber.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I see that guy in my feed sometimes but never watch his shit. Is he anti-Xbox or something? I was always under the impression that he was a neutral gaming YouTuber.

I dislike it just for the 'youtube thumbnail' face, lol, but yeah his coverage leans a bit skewed.

FyXatL5XgAIMwSv

FyYcvchWYAEwvrL

Last edited:
Top Bottom