• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the Xbox Showcase 2023

How would you rate the Xbox Showcase 2023

• It was fantastic

Votes: 169 20.2%
  • It was very good

Votes: 298 35.6%
  • It was okay

Votes: 223 26.6%
  • It was mediocre

Votes: 99 11.8%
  • It was poor

Votes: 29 3.5%
  • It was very bad

Votes: 19 2.3%

• Total voters

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
B+ tbh, 8.5

A lot of the games and concepts showed looked very unique and stuff like the InXile game (clockwork) looked great. Climbing game seems like another sort of 'chill out' type game. Starfield is wacky, i'm actually excited for it now whereas before i was like.... meh

It would be fantastic if they showd off what ID were making.... if they're even doing anything at all.

Lack of gameplay throughout many of the trailers tho was a disappointment

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
HpWqIvO.jpg

Fucking atlus and thier gorgeous menus

The only thing that would have made the trailer any better is if it ended with "Game pass day 1" tag at the end .

Chukhopops

That was dope as hell, first party looks really strong and even the third party was great.

P5T and P3R gamepass day one, imagine arguing what is the better service, couldn’t be me for sure.

Solid 9/10 for me (we had tons of variety of styles, jap games, new Capcom game, tons of MS studios games. Was not a 10/10 because the lack of KI2...What a missed opportunity MS, we are now on the FG games hype, time is NOW)

Sony was 1/10 (1 because of Phantom Blabe Zero)

I don't give a fuck about consoles, i want games! Its fun to see salty fanboys here lmao

one direction laughing GIF

Last edited:
The pacing was great. I am bummed though for lack of proper Fable and Hellblade 2 showing. Also shame that Avowed and Clockwork Revolution are not visual powerhouses.
But Starfield showing...Damn.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Great fucking show. A big win for microsoft, i feel very excited about the line up they have for the next two years. Was not anticipating flight sim 2024, that was my favorite surprise shown. I love me some sodium, so keep on bringing the salt lol

Last edited:

StueyDuck

It was very good... but considering Sony left the door wide open for them to crush it, they didn't deliver in that sense.

Also I can see the "all Sony games have trees and tps" meme coming with all Xbox games being people with swords and shields.

All in all it was a good show however, quite a few games I'm looking forward to playing

BoxFresh123

Could have done with more game play in the main show if being super critical.

As a showcase for variety etc probably touching a A. For what I was interested in probably a B-

Best summer show so far but that's a low bar.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
No rare outside of Sea of boredom. No gears. No machine games. 0/10 lol. Starfield will be good on pc. 7/10. It was fine form the highlights i've seen. Nothing really got my jimmy going.

StueyDuck

I understand not everything is for everybody but I'm not sure how anybody views that as "poor" or "very bad" especially compared to everybody else's conferences
It definitely wasn't poor showing at all.

But God are MS awful at presenting these things. It still just feels corporate as fuck watching these showcases. If I was someone who wasn't into games and I was promised an insane show by jezzy doo doo pants. This would have disappointed me purely because it just felt like a corporate sideshow and not a big exciting get hyped.

icerock

Easy 8/10, I thought this was their best showcase in a decade. A lot of good games, with good pacing and not a lot of talking.

Fable looked stunning and stole the showcase for me whereas weakest showing was Starfield. It just looks so bland and overwhelmingly massive.

I understand not everything is for everybody but I'm not sure how anybody views that as "poor" or "very bad" especially compared to everybody else's conferences

I thought the others were mediocre, particularly Sony’s who couldn’t be anymore up their own arse if they tried.

No trolling or fanboy shite, I’m more a a Xbox guy who isn’t enamoured with everything they do and after that today I’m still not.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's simple. Compared to Sony it was great. Compared to having normal expectations it was fine.

For me, there was wayyy too much trailers that didn't show a damn thing for the gameplay. SO many games I had no clue what kind of game I was looking at. Star Wars was an example. Nothing indicated what type of game it was. I had to look it up after and have to wait for the Ubisoft showcase. They didn't need to a show a lot of gameplay, but we easily could have gotten more than what we did. There weren't any legit bombshells.

TheTony316

B. Much better than the Playstation showcase. I'm not interested in the first party stuff (Don't own an Xbox) but i'm looking forward to the Atlus games and Yakuza 8.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Copy paste from the showcase thread;

Phew!

I missed something Gears related, I hoped to see State of Decay 3 too and I almost believed that Namco Killer Instinct rumor, so disappointed to not see that.

But otherwise it was a great show! I went back and rewatched some parts of it, there was so much in there. Fable as a starter was fantastic! And Avowed, while looking slightly AA, was nice to see and a 2024 release as well.

Really liked the Capcom action slasher, so unique. Want to see more of that!

And Starfield was crazy. Just crazy. Can’t believe all the things they’ve put in there, there is so much info to unpack from that video.

Beard shaders made me laugh though, like holy crap, made SF6 beard looking good lol, so incredibly bad! Especially noticeable since there was bearded guys talking about that. Can’t believe they even showed that. Embarrassing.

As a long time No Man’s Sky player it also gets me concerned that procedural generation is done when you reach a planet. That’s how NMS does it too and there is no way Bethesda manage that without the same strange bugs and weird clipping. Not sure that’s a good idea but I understand it would take ages to handcraft 1000 planets.

All in all:
Xbox show, 8/10
Starfield, 9/10, would be 10/10 with better beard.

killatopak

Honestly impressed but mostly because of Starfield and the Japanese games.

It was the first time I said that about an Xbox conference since the 360.

Denton

By far the best showcase of the year...made me legit excited about the industry again (while PS filled with GAAS and pixel art emo bullshit made me despair).

I voted fantastic, but still it was not perfect - Sarah Bond should ease up on the cringetalk and Hellblade and Fable really should have shown gameplay.

Pantz

It was fantastic

I don't even remember what Phil said a while back. Something about great games...great games and Starfield being 11/10.
Phil sure is the best guy. Thanks Phil.

Killer8

It was solid. I would give it a B-. Definitely not the best show ever but blew Sony's GaaS slop out the water.

The decision to give Starfield its own showcase was an excellent one. I was never quite sold on it before, but that showcase propelled it to my most hyped game. It's probably the most ambitious game i've ever seen. 1000 fucking planets, at that level of fidelity, with an RPG laid over the top. They needed to give the game some breathing room and this did the job.

Fable also looked surprisingly great. Looks to have kept the British humor intact and Richard Ayoade starring in the trailer was a joy. Main character is a bit fugly but the game likely has some sort of character creator to correct that. On the flipside of Fable and Starfield impressing, Avowed looked dogshit. Big letdown after the original CGI trailer 3 years ago. Obsidian appear to be one of the more disappointing acquisitions made by MS.

I was also not at all sold on inXile's game, Clockwork Revolution. It looks like a b-grade BioShock Infinite. Compulsion's game, South of Midnight, has a more interesting style, but there was no gameplay shown so I have absolutely no idea what it's actually going to be. Criticism is often directed at reveal trailers being CGI or just showing cinematics, and this was reminiscent of that. Hellblade II's trailer was another i'd level that complaint at, and in fact its previous trailer arguably showed more.

On to the good parts of the conference: Forza Motorsport looked a lot more polished than the last time I saw it. I'm glad they finally nailed down a release date this year. Wasn't expecting Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 to be shown but I suppose that is part of the '10 year cycle' Asobo Studio promised for MSFS. Looks like it has a lot more 'game' than MSFS 2020, which while a technical marvel did get a little boring after a few weeks. A couple of surprises too like Still Wakes the Deep's unique oil rig horror.

The Japanese support was the real highlight. MS seem to just know exactly what I look for from JP games. The Persona 3 remake was leaked beforehand, but it's not really fair to take that away from the conference. People would've lost their shit if that announcement went down as intended. Path of the Goddess from Capcom had some serious Onimusha / Otogi vibes and I am there for it. Both of these are coming to Game Pass day one which is even more impressive. The real megaton (Megaten?) though was Metaphor: ReFantazio aka Project Re:Fantasy finally being revealed and looking spectacular. I'm wondering if MS have locked down exclusivity for it as so far only Xbox + PC have been announced.

In terms of how the showcase salvages 2023 for Xbox, the conference both did and didn't do much to alleviate the feeling that this year is a lost cause. I genuinely thought that Hellblade II would make it this year and its absence leaves just Starfield and Forza as the heavy hitters. The 2023 lineup feels very anemic on paper, but then again Starfield does look absolutely jaw dropping, and Sony in comparison only really have Final Fantasy 16 and Spider-Man 2. Late 2023 is looking like an off-season for every console right now.

I also would've liked to have seen updates on Perfect Dark, Indiana Jones, whatever Rare and The Coalition have been up to, and State of Decay 3, which have all been MIA for several years now. Perhaps MS did not want to blow their load all at once after they saw Sony's misstep.

RevGaming

I mean, it's your opinion and to each their own, but for me, the Starfield bit completely blew away the Spiderman 2 segment. Not even close.

One overwhelmed with the sheer scope and systems. The other looks good and all, but didn't look that dissimilar to what we already played across two games.
They showed way more things, not better, but I still feel more confident with spidey 2 with AI (guys were standing to get shot and monsters attack in a straight line), combat, visuals looking worse on starfield. Plus, we know which game will be more buggy on release.

Solid showing indeed. My only disappointments were no mention or showing of anything related to Everwild, Perfect Dark, State of Decay 3 or the Gears of War series. I thought they would say something about a Gears collection or maybe the next installment in Gears of War 6. Who knows what’s going on over at the Coalition with that franchise anymore since Rod left. Seems like they are stuck in neutral there. Gears 5 came out five years ago and we have yet to hear or see anything related to a new game from them. The Series S in carbon black does look very nice indeed and the extra memory is well needed. Overall a much better showing than Sony‘s lackluster show imo.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Solid showing indeed. My only disappointments were no mention or showing of anything related to Everwild, Perfect Dark, State of Decay 3 or the Gears of War series. I thought they would say s9 thing about a Gears collection or maybe the next installment in Gears of War 6. Who knows what’s going on over at the Coalition with that franchise anymore since Rod left. Seems like they are stuck in neutral there. Gears 5 came out five years ago and we have yet to hear or see anything related to a new game from them. The Series S in carbon black does look very nice indeed and the extra memory is well needed.

Honestly it makes me excited that there's still so much that's yet to be shown. Plenty to be saved for Gamescom, The Game Awards, or a future Xbox Developer Direct (or next year's Showcase).

Fabieter

The real megaton (Megaten?) though was Metaphor: ReFantazio aka Project Re:Fantasy finally being revealed and looking spectacular. I'm wondering if MS have locked down exclusivity for it as so far only Xbox + PC have been announced.

It's not. They have a weird marketing embargo for a few days.

splattered

We still have the game awards and other stuff through the year for Sony and MS to bring more stuff to the table. Overall I'd say it was a very good showcase though yeah they could have shown more gameplay. Tons of stuff didn't get updates and there's obviously still a bunch of stuff not announced yet... I was happy with the show for the most part.

Yoboman

It didn't have a lot of.gameplay but it did have a lot of strong women

Honestly, was there a single game that wasn't a female protagonist?

Sad not seeing what's next from the Coalition they would've put this show over the top. I'm guessing that was the last chance to hear anything from them this year so we'll be going into year 4 without any new project trailers from the Coalition and Naughty that's so damn disappointing this gen makes me want to fight the air 😠

Top Bottom