• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the Xbox Showcase 2023

How would you rate the Xbox Showcase 2023

• It was fantastic

Votes: 169 20.2%
  • It was very good

Votes: 298 35.6%
  • It was okay

Votes: 223 26.6%
  • It was mediocre

Votes: 99 11.8%
  • It was poor

Votes: 29 3.5%
  • It was very bad

Votes: 19 2.3%

• Total voters
There are games announced 3-4 years ago that have not been seen (Everwild, SoD3, etc...) and the little they have shown was just gameplay and almost no date, really insufficient at this point.

kyussman

Better than whatever that Sony showing was supposed to be.......won't be rushing out to buy an XSX though.I'm jaded as fuck on video games right now.

Stare-Bear

Banned
Most of it was 2024, and I’m sure plenty of it will be delayed till 2025.

Like the look of Fable, Starfield and Flight Simulator.

Great showing, shame most of it was 2024 as they keep kicking the "year of the xbox" can down the street, but given what they've actually shown this time then it's fair to say 2024 might actually be the year. Biggest surprise for me is that every single game they showed (except you Hellblade) was interesting, I can see myself trying pretty much all of them on Gamepass, no stinkers (Hellblade excluded) there.

SABRE220

It was good, not amazing but a hell of a lot better than sonys and a big step up from past Microsoft dissapointments which is a step in the right direction.

ungalo

The showcase made me want to sell my Xbox after i'm done playing Starfield. I can concede that compared to the abysmal showcases we've had it was alright.

But if this is the roadmap of Xbox for the next years, i'm out.

The spoils of war of Xbox in terms of partnership are poor, they're very glad to announce some japanese multiplateform games with some of them coming to Gamepass (always the least interesting ones) when Sony has all the best shit.

Not only the first party trailers were a load of bullshit trailers but even then, even then, they manage to revulse me. The Fable trailer, what a disaster.

Avowed, just what the fuck. Are they serious ?

I came to the conclusion that most western games are just insufferable.

The only two exclusives i'm sold on are Starfield, and the inXile game if i'm being nice.

UnNamed

Banned
Not that bad.

Some XBOX games are yet to be fully revealed like Fable, Forza, Senua: Chomatic Aberration, some meaningless "world premiere" but games were good at least.
Japanese developers saved the show.

Starfield very promising, hope it not will be the festival of bugs.

Stuart360

I was watching CohhCarnage stream and he said it was the best show/conference he had ever seen.
I wouldnt go that far, but it was a great 9/10 for me.

Very good. Finally showing Fable/Avowed, Forza looking great, Hellblade 2 looking stellar. No longer relying on the holy trinity.
Yeah, very good. For now.

XXL

It was a great showcase. Starfield looks amazing. I'm not sold on some of the other 1st party stuff. But overall, it was a really good showing.

Neo_game

Poor. They had lots of trailers otherwise I would have voted very bad. I wanted to see gameplay not trailers. I was sure there would be Wow moment in Hellblade 2 but even that was weird. trailer So was Fable with CG trailer. Avowed looks too cartoony for my taste. I think Capcom game was the best. Liberty city I think is going to great. For Xbox obviously Starfield was the best game.

Kusarigama

It was okay at best. Same as PlayStation showcase I'd say.

As a hugh Persona fan, my game of the show is certainly Metaphor from Katsura Hashino. Nice to see P3 Reload as well.

Clockwork rev, South of Midnight and Fable looked interesting

Starfield looked amazing at times and underwhelming at times. 1TB XSS is nice. And why the heck did they show Hellblade 2 that way? It looked pretty and nothing else. Avowed did not impress.

I want to see gameplay or atleast gameplay trailers. Not some marketing nonsense in engine footage. Is it that hard to grasp from years of same criticism?

Last edited:
I was happy with just about everything the only thing that disappointed me was Avowed. Show was better than Sony's and 8.5/10

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
No gameplay stuff, nothing really innovative gameplay wise in the main show, maybe that Capcom game which looked great.

Starfield is very interesting.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Is it safe to say that if Fable’s a 2025 game (which it appears to be based on the lack of 2024 on the title card), and we’ve not even had updates on Everwild, Perfect Dark, Gears 6 that that could be practically the entire road map for the current gen?

2024 Avowed and Hellblade
2025-2026 Fable/Everwild/PD/Gears 6

By 2027 we’ll be in the 7th year of the generation with next gen looming large.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If we take out the Starfield show, then it was very poor. My reasons:
  • 1st party games still did not show proper gameplay. Hellblade 2 was all cinematic, Fable had no gameplay, etc.
  • Avowed looks absolutely awful. Biggest disappointment for me.
  • Still no release dates.
  • We just watched a 1-hour show. What's the next big game after Starfield, and when is it coming? No one has an answer.
  • It was just mostly AAs.
  • No third-party exclusives. All were multi-platform games.
  • Still no State of Decay 3, Contraband, Everwild, Indiana Jones, or Perfect Dark. Been 3 years. What the hell!

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I gave Sony a C, I'm giving Xbox a B

I really wanted to see Perfect Dark so I was kinda disappointed. No gameplay for Fable, No combat for Hellblade. Both Compulsion and InExile coming out swingin though.

I like the concepts of both of their games.

Forza obviously. Starfield Obviously. This is gonna be a great year for Xbox and PC players. Bout damn time.

Probably a 4 out of 10 (not including Starfield). It was slightly better than Sony's, but Sony's was complete crap. It had too many trailers that didn't have gameplay in them. It had too many games that weren't exclusive to their console, and it had too many games that were not even close to coming out.

Starfield looks great, but it'll probably be full of bugs. When they first announced Fallout 76, it had a lot of hype and people claimed it looked amazing. Then... it was finally released and it was a buggy mess that took them years to fix. I do think they should have released it on the PS5 because it'll sell a lot of copies... but I get that they need some exclusive to themselves.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

7/10 for the whole damn thing. 6/10 for the first hour.

Starfield showing was 10/10. Probably one of the best game presentation ever, in terms of actually showing the fucking game. Very impressive.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

the show was ok, better than the Sony show...but that's not saying a lot considering how bad that show was.

Came out from this show interested in just two things.Starfeid and that metamorph game thingy from Atlus (which I am guessing is multiplatform).

Some stuff I have been waiting for, when now finally seeing.. underwhelmed (Avowed and what little of Hellbade we saw).

There was a lot of it indie stuff too, that looks interesting, but that's always the case with indy stuff innit?

Mozzarella

Carried by Starfield/10

This is how you show your game, you talk about it, you play it, not a gaming trailer.

Few good announcements + many turds + Starfield = probably B+

If we take out the Starfield show, then it was very poor. My reasons:
  • 1st party games still did not show proper gameplay. Hellblade 2 was all cinematic, Fable had no gameplay, etc.
  • Avowed looks absolutely awful. Biggest disappointment for me.
  • Still no release dates.
  • We just watched a 1-hour show. What's the next big game after Starfield, and when is it coming? No one has an answer.
  • It was just mostly AAs.
  • No third-party exclusives. All were multi-platform games.
  • Still no State of Decay 3, Contraband, Everwild, Indiana Jones, or Perfect Dark. Been 3 years. What the hell!

Yes, if you take out their flagship title it doesn't look as great... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Antwix

9/10. Great stuff that I'm looking forward to. I was hoping for some State of Decay 3 stuff. I know id was helping with Starfield but I wish we could've seen what they're working on as well as Perfect Dark.

Fbh

Not amazing but very solid and easily the best one during this "non E3" season. I'd say an easy 8/10-
Good pacing, lots of games, actual announcements of new games I'm interested in (like Path of the Goddess and that new Atlus game), and the Starfield presentation did a solid job selling what looks like a massive, exciting and ambitious game like no other shown during this event season.

On the negative side I still would have liked to see more gameplay, the first half of the show in particular seems to have just replaced the CG trilers with "in engine cinematic trailer" which is basically the same.
Also this is still dong the whole "next year for sure™" thing they've been doing for a while. Though if all the game they promised for 2024 actually do release and are good then it will be one hell of a year for Xbox.

Last edited:

Neolombax

I felt the showcase excluding Starfield was about on par with Sony's. But Starfield really blew my mind. I'm hoping Starfield delivers big time, maybe we'll get actually ambitious games later on. Feels like the first truly next gen game.

Ornoku

Poor. They had lots of trailers otherwise I would have voted very bad. I wanted to see gameplay not trailers. I was sure there would be Wow moment in Hellblade 2 but even that was weird. trailer So was Fable with CG trailer. Avowed looks too cartoony for my taste. I think Capcom game was the best. Liberty city I think is going to great. For Xbox obviously Starfield was the best game.
The fable trailer wasn't CG, it said in game footage right when the guy popped up.

I don’t mean to cause offence I just don’t think that show was anywhere close to be an A, if A means absolute peak perfection. That’s all I was laughing at. Not that you liked the games shown. Personally, I feel like even a B is generous but everyone has their own opinion (y)

For the record, I agree and that was my first thought when they showed SOT again, however I’m convinced they must have a scaled back team working on it at this point with most resources focused on Everwild (I hope).
Oh, I should clarify then. A- or A for me means that the showcase focused on video games, new video games, gameplay that's new to showcases(like Avowed for example), and mostly gameplay/gameplay concepts in general being shown.

This is where I differ from the rest of the forum: I don't care if the game is not AAA, I just like video games. Show me indie, show me AA, show me B, show me MMO, show me Eurojank...as long as it's interesting to look at and not a random Steam asset flip or mobile games sponsor segment(like showing Honkai Star Rail when it's already out), that's a +1 to me.

With this criteria, Microsoft did a great job at presenting a showcase. They did not waste too much time on presenters and they did not waste time explaining things that didn't need to be explained. They led with content and they know how to pace a conference really well(as they've been doing this for years now), unlike Geoff who still makes a middle-of-show error by packing tons of sponsored mobile content and content updates right after some great trailers and announcements. That's why Geoff's show got a C from me. Sony's show was a B for me due to too many very small length CG trailers and just logos being shown, however they did make up for it a bit with new announcements, bits of gameplay, and the Spiderman showcase.

Like I've said in another thread, a literal F showcase is when a publisher completely wastes your time. That one Capcom showcase where they just showed an RE 4 logo and a Dragon's Dogma 2 logo, then had devs just describe cool stuff to you, was an F. Konami(when they used to have conferences) having one guy just describe video games to people and not show footage, was an F. Anyone who thinks any of these recent shows is an F hasn't experienced the excruciating boredom of some of the worst of E3's past.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

The xbox one was very meh for me, not really interested in anything they showed 5/10. (Sony was like a 3/10 lol)

The starfield direct? Oh boy 11/10

RevGaming

Same score as sony's, but sony took 2 years so it was more dissapointing.

Nothing close as impressive as spider man 2. Starfield is close, but the rest of the first party and third party games didn't feel even last gen.

Starfield is giving me c2077 vibes. Bad AI and very short combat clips (bugs?)

So xbox looks like it will have one potential reason to have an xbox. 1 game. 2024 doesn't seem to push the needle. Even iD's is taking long.

Top Bottom