• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the Xbox Showcase 2023

How would you rate the Xbox Showcase 2023

• It was fantastic

Votes: 169 20.2%
  • It was very good

Votes: 298 35.6%
  • It was okay

Votes: 223 26.6%
  • It was mediocre

Votes: 99 11.8%
  • It was poor

Votes: 29 3.5%
  • It was very bad

Votes: 19 2.3%

• Total voters

phant0m

Almost all premiers showed gameplay, a ton of new IPs announced, new Atlus rpg, new Obsidian rpg. I'm pumped.
3rIjotT.jpg

B-b-but everyone is saying all CGI?!?

Tsaki

"Sony's Showcase wasn't that bad/10"
Like Sony's, it was middle of the road. But they had a Showcase last year too, so they are slightly more excused. But still 6/10.

Mr Hyde

It was very good. Xbox showed a lot of interesting games coming up, with personal highlights being Starfield, Path of Goddess and Clockwork Revolution. Those games looked awesome. Disappointed that Eiyuden Chronicles was a no show. I thought a new trailer was prepared with release date. Flintlock was also missing from the repertoire.

Other games that looked good was Cyberpunk and the new expansion. Haven't played it so I'm really looking forward to the complete experience. Xbox also showed a couple of cool AA/Indies which names I unfortunately have already forgotten, but they looked very fun with cool art style. Really piqued my interest. Atlus new IP Metaphore also looked pretty dope.

I'd say Xbox delivered on the hype. Hellblade 2 and Awoved looked underwhelming, which is a bit disappointing, but they could shape up to be good quality games i the end. The show had a brisk pace, lots of genre variety and a couple of big, unexpected surprises.

I give the show a solid 8 out of 10.

Elios83

It was just ok.
Still no gameplay from titles that were announced years ago.
It had many games showcased and lots of multiplatform stuff but that is not something that will make people buy Xboxs

Banjo64

cumsessed
Poor IMO.

I don't care how bad Sony's was in comparison, I am judging this on it's own merits.

Fable, no gameplay. Not even a 2024 window. This game started development in 2017. Even more importantly, the comedy fell flat for me.

Hellblade, I thought they might use this showcase to demo improved gameplay. The first game bored me to tears, and this looked like more of the same.

Avowed - the one and only highlight of the show for me. I am a sucker for high fantasy, I like Obsidian. Yes, looked great. Capcom's game looked great too.

No Everwild, no Perfect Dark. Never ending Flight Sim, Fallout 76 and ESO.

All of the other games looked low budget with average game play IMO.

How have they got 20 studios but can't produce one surprise? Even in partnership with someone else. They delivered what I considered the bare minimum baseline (basically just trying to provide updates on the games they announced 100 years ago).

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

The 3rd parties saved it, because "showing" 1st party games without showing gameplay (or without release dates) is the same as showing nothing (the Sony sad "strategy").

Some cool 3rd party games there, I assume most of them are multiplatform.

The Shepard

Starfield, Forza, fable and hellblade 2 is what I'm interested in playing. The rest of the first party games looked either janky like avowed or boring. Nothing new or exciting of what hasn't already being announced.

Nydius

Sony’s was a D- so the bar was low. This is a C+ at best. Same shit as always from Microsoft: Vertical slices of games captured on PC, most of which aren’t coming out for a year or more outside of the ones we already knew we were getting this year.

Same song and dance as always from MS. They blow their load to hype people on things that won’t be out for a while and will inevitably be downgraded when they do release.

I do agree that they had a hell of a lot more Japanese involvement this time around.

Aenima

It was ok. Was expecting more gameplay from the already anounced games. The new anouncements was all kinda mediocre. Just interested in Persona 3 Reload that was leaked, and Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It was fine but the lack of actual gameplay sections for first party games was the glaring disappointment. I knew not to trust Greenberg, but I didnt think it would be this bad to boast about. The only misstep for the second half of the Xbox Series generation.

Best first party showcase this year but, it should have hit harder.

Last edited:

Shrap

Mediocrity like almost every "game" showcase these days. They should rename these events to cinematic showcases. Just show some damn gameplay and drop all the other crap.

Nintendo is the only company that still does a decent showcase these days since they focus on gameplay but I have no interest in their games.

[Sigma]

Fable-I think I saw a snippet of gameplay and that's it.

South of Midnight- Not much interest and no gameplay.

Avowed-Looks mid.

Sea of Thieves: The Legend Monkey Island- Don't care.

Flight Sim 2024- Seemed cool.

Hellblade II- That's all you show?

Fallout 76 Alantic City- Didn't care.

Forza Motorsport- Weirdly wasn't impressed unlike last year's trailer.

Elders Scroll Online Journey to Necrom - Not interested but ok.

Starfield- Looked more interesting than what they showed last year.

Clockwork Revolution - "Some" Bioshock vibes. This looked pretty interesting.

Better than last year I guess but no Perfect Dark? dafuck. 6/10

Xbox Showcase is an A-

Here's the list of standout stuff to me that I took notes on:

Fable
Star Wars Ubisoft Game
33 Immortals
Persona 3 Remake
Avowed Gameplay(Unfortunate graphical downgrade but will probably be really fun to play)
Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth
Path of the Goddess(Capcom game, very interesting camera angle)
Persona 5 Tactica
Jusant(Platformer with stakes?)
Still Wakes the Deep(Horror with dangerous platforming?)
Dungeons of Hinterberg(Zelda like? 3rd person camera and isometric one?)
Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty gameplay
Atlus Metaphor Re Fantazio
Towerborne
Clockwork Revolution(FPS like Timeshift? InXile welcome back)

I didn't look at any spoilers nor did I look at any rumored lists on here, so I came out of this showcase very impressed yet cautiously optimistic. They've abandoned the whole 12 month plan and instead have gone back to 'cool reveals that might come out in 2 years or more' which I hope works out for them.

Edit: For those annoyed at not enough gameplay shown, tune in to Xbox Treehouse tomorrow morning for more gameplay and dev interviews. This showcase was for trailers, snippets, and reveals. That's what a showcase is.

Last edited:

kaizenkko

Okay!

Showing Fable and Hellblade with no gameplay is meh, especially for Hellblade who is supposed to launch in next year. Starfield looks great.

But I still can't understand how a next-gen game can look worse visually than some games of the early's PS4 life.

Last edited:

Trekinspace88

Neo Member
I have to admit MS actually did it. I went in with low expectations and came away disappointed to be honest. They're showcase was ok it was as bad as Sony's showcase sadly. Don't get me wrong they showed some games i found good looking. Starfield Looks good but the frame-rate is still bad imo. Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty City, Metaphor, Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth and Path of the Goddess all look great but they are all probably multi platform so I'll probably get them for Steam or PS I'll have to decide which.

Hellblade looks ok but it does look like it suffered a graphics downgrade from the previous footage we have seen. Avowed didn't look good imo and i have no interested in Flight Simulator or Sea of Thieves. I was looking forward to seeing Fable (i have played all the previous games and they were all great) but this fable doesn't seem to be interesting but will need to see game-play properly before decided weather to play it or not.

Ansphn

This and Gamefest made PlayStation Showcase move up in quality for me. Avowed was a huge letdown. Fable was in engine CGI and will not look like that. Starfield was the only game that looked like it improved from last showing but it looks like a early PS4 game compared to power houses like Horizon burning shores. I'm convinced no one will look as good as Horizon this entire gen.

Last edited:

rapid32.5

Starfield and Hellblade 2 nothing has changed for me or impressed me. B- overall
With lots of variety but mediocre visuals, U5 engine games look like a next-gen reality.

Last edited:

Laieon

B+. Wish we saw some gameplay of Fable, and I would like liked a reveal trailer for the Age of Mythology remake. Everything seemingly being 2024 was also not that great, because you just know some of that is inevitably going to get pushed back.

I enjoyed it far more than PS' showcase or summer game fest. I'm interested in a ton of the games they showed. Funny enough, I have no interest in the game they're spending the most time on. I wish "one more thing" would have actually been something they hadn't announced beforehand.

In terms of games shown that I'm interested in playing:

Xbox > Playstation >>> Summer Game Fest

Last edited:

tmlDan

It was pretty good tbh, "it was okay" for me. Better than Sony's but not by much considering all the in-engine trailers but a lot to look forward to for years to come.

But when will anything actually come out (again)?

Shrap

I'll just repost my reply from the main page...

Sony after Microsoft's showcase
virgins meme GIF by Death From Above 1979

More Japanesse and single player games from Microsoft than Sony in this showcase....Shame...absolute fucking shame on Jim Ryan.Here's another gaas for you you money hungry loser.Take it alllll in like a good boy Jimmy.
fart GIF by Phizz

I rated it very good,it had lots of interesting games and they showed their shit.An Xbox showcase with actual first party games,well who would've thought.Not Jimmy anyway,he was too busy showing us movie trailers.
What is this post. Jesus christ. I hope you are under 10 years old

Somewhere between very good and ok. Should of had just a "good" option. It's a B-/C+ for me.
Disappointed that there wasn't a Killer Instinct 2, Perfect Dark or new Gears sighting which would've made it a solid B. If there was good gameplay of the 3, a fantastic.

Some of the games they showed would've been better placed in an ID@Xbox showcase although they did look good, just not big enough for a Xbox annual showcase.
Edit: And yes, quite a bit better than the Sony showcase and a smaller bit better than Summer Fest since that seems to be what we are comparing it too.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Starfield just came off as Epic, thanks in large part to the music and well crafted trailer. Fuck this thing might be big.

Capcom’s new action game was otherwise the best thing I’ve seen from either of the big showcases.

Fable and Avowed are promising.

Open world Star Wars might turn out good - but it’s way too early. Also, is it exclusive??

Microsoft certainly came out swinging with console exclusives galore, instead of multiplatform games and GaaS junk. A few weak looking games, but overall their future lineup might be strong.

Could’ve done with a lot more gameplay, but I’m excited for the future.

dem

Poor.

Best thing was Payday 3

Starfield confirmed to run like crap

Fable not coming any time soon

Is Hellblade a game? We may never know

Avowed looked last gen

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

6+/10, which is solidly "okay". They didn't show anything that is both somewhat new, interesting, demostrated with gameplay. That alone means not a great show, for me.

- The super Japanese stuff like new Capcom & Atlas games, Elder Scrolls update, Forza & Flight Sim emergency rescue or whatever.... yawn to all of that
- Senua, Avowed, and Clockwork Rev... all look at least decent, but nowhere near must-plays for me
- Fable (despite no gameplay), a few cool, indie-ish looking games, Monkey Island, Star Wars (despite no gameplay and being multiplat), and Starfield, that all looked damn good to me

Starfield does look great, love the customizability of ship/s and crew.
This is the only must-play MS console exclusive for me in.... a really, really long time.
Will be diving in to that this fall on PC.

Top Bottom