• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the Xbox Showcase 2023

How would you rate the Xbox Showcase 2023

• It was fantastic

Votes: 169 20.2%
  • It was very good

Votes: 298 35.6%
  • It was okay

Votes: 223 26.6%
  • It was mediocre

Votes: 99 11.8%
  • It was poor

Votes: 29 3.5%
  • It was very bad

Votes: 19 2.3%

• Total voters

skit_data

Very good IMO, easily the best so far this summer. I'm a little skeptical wether some of the trailers aren't leaning a bit towards being CGI (yeah, sure in engine or whatevs) but it really didn't matter because they provided a lot of gameplay. Starfield looks stellar (no pun intended) and now I'm actually convinced it may indeed be the killer app for Xbox on the console side of things.

DonJorginho

Banned
Easy 8/10, would've been a 9 if we got to see more actual gameplay footage of games like Fable, Hellblade II (I know it was gameplay but was mostly an in-game cutscene on rails) and if we got to see titles MIA like Indiana Jones & Everwild.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Year of boring shows. Same as Sony, really. Though for me as a PC owner, PS Showcase was more interesting.
Yeah, as much as I shat on Sony showcase (which still was/is underwhelming), I much prefer that over Xbox's showcase. That one just had more games I'd end up playing:
  • Dragon's Dogma 2
  • Alan Wake 2
  • AC Mirage
  • Metal Gear
  • Phantom Blade 0
  • Towers of Aghasba
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Helldivers 2
I had high hopes from Xbox showcase. They did show a lot of 1st party stuff, but it's the same issues: either the game has no gameplay (Hellblade 2), or no release date (Clockwork), or the game doesn't look good at all (Avowed).

sendit

If we take out the Starfield show, then it was very poor. My reasons:
  • 1st party games still did not show proper gameplay. Hellblade 2 was all cinematic, Fable had no gameplay, etc.
  • Avowed looks absolutely awful. Biggest disappointment for me.
  • Still no release dates.
  • We just watched a 1-hour show. What's the next big game after Starfield, and when is it coming? No one has an answer.
  • It was just mostly AAs.
  • No third-party exclusives. All were multi-platform games.
  • Still no State of Decay 3, Contraband, Everwild, Indiana Jones, or Perfect Dark. Been 3 years. What the hell!
Starfield saved the show.

In comparison, this is what they showed in 2020
- Halo Infinite (Released)
- Fable (Not Released, showed again 23)
- Avowed (Not released, showed again 23)
- Forza Motorsport (Not released, showed again 23)
- Hellblade 2 (Not released, showed again 23)
- State of Decay 3 (Not released)
- Everwild (Not released)

Xbox 2020 showcase was also rated better than Sony's.

Last edited:

jonnyp

The showcase 4/10 - slightly better than Sony's but only slightly

Starfield 10/10 - looks amazing, and great showcase of the scope, mechanics and gameplay.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

52967164004_3da1df697a_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing really impressed me, I was disappointed in the lack of gameplay for some trailers and I was taken aback by the underwhelming visuals of Avowed.

To say they have the most capable system it doesn’t show in their software.

Maybe my expectations or hopes are too high, I’m waiting to be blown away by a game or two from them and they’ve are not doing it really, I even thought the Hellblade 2 trailer was underwhelming.

I think I need to step back from Xbox stuff for a while, getting frustrated with them too much and that’s no good.

Those who love what they are putting out will be happy tonight

Isa

For me it was amazing. So much to love throughout, as I have fairly wide gaming palette. MS continued to bring the Japanese love and made me very happy. Some of the games shown have excellent artwork and design throughout, and there were quite a few rpgs which is my favorite genre. Also a greater single player focus throughout. Can't wait to get to play most of what was shown.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The OP contradicted himself with the title of his thread. Anyone trying to take out the game that the showcase was literally built around is just looking for an excuse to give a shitty score.
Not really. Xbox itself promoted it as 1 XGS showcase + 1 Starfield Direct.

The showcase itself had a Starfield trailer and an advert to stick for the Starfield Direct after the showcase.

It's totally fair to rate the showcase separately because it is a separate show. Even now Xbox is promoting and talking the Xbox Showcase separately on their own website.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Yeah, as much as I shat on Sony showcase (which still was/is underwhelming), I much prefer that over Xbox's showcase. That one just had more games I'd end up playing:
  • Dragon's Dogma 2
  • Alan Wake 2
  • AC Mirage
  • Metal Gear
  • Phantom Blade 0
  • Towers of Aghasba
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Helldivers 2
I had high hopes from Xbox showcase. They did show a lot of 1st party stuff, but it's the same issues: either the game has no gameplay (Hellblade 2), or no release date (Clockwork), or the game doesn't look good at all (Avowed).
Avowed is clearly an XO game that was locked into some form of developer's hell, really. My personal letdown of the show. It looked worse than Outer Worlds.

mortal

Gold Member
B (without Starfield segment)
Even despite the lack of CGI, there were far too many cinematic trailers without gameplay.
I was pleased by the range of titles, with many coming to Game Pass on day 1.

A (with Starfield segment)
That is how you showcase a game. Starfield may not have most more bleeding-edge visuals, it looks like a serious GOTY contender imo.
It looks like a game I want to get lost in for hours.

Really hope Bethesda sticks the landing. An Xbox 1st party that wins over PlayStation or Nintendo diehards would be so awesome.

My highlights:
  • Starfield
  • Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess
  • Flight Simulator 2024 (especially with that Dune Ornithopter)
  • South of Midnight (Intriguing setting, but need to see some gameplay)
  • Cities: skylines lI
  • Jusant (looks like RIme x Death Stranding.

Topher

Gold Member
B (without Starfield segment)
Even despite the lack of CGI, there were far too many cinematic trailers without gameplay.
I was pleased by the range of titles, with many coming to Game Pass on day 1.

A (with Starfield segment)
That is how you showcase a game. Starfield may not have most more bleeding-edge visuals, it looks like a serious GOTY contender imo.
It looks like a game I want to get lost in for hours.

Really hope Bethesda sticks the landing. An Xbox 1st party that wins over PlayStation or Nintendo diehards would be so awesome.

My highlights:
  • Starfield
  • Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess
  • Flight Simulator 2024 (especially with that Dune Ornithopter)
  • South of Midnight (Intriguing setting, but need to see some gameplay)
  • Cities: skylines lI
  • Jusant (looks like RIme x Death Stranding.

Starfield on its own was A+. Simply fantastic.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
I voted very good. Good mix of games, dates for some of them aswell. The best show from anyone for a few yrs now. I would of liked some news on I.D (Doom, Quake) , Machine Games ( Indiana Jones, Wolfensteine) but I guess we get that info at a later time.

Im happy that the future looks good for xbox as a gamer and not a fanboy, compitition is good and Xbox hasnt had a good few months, so with Playstation having a shit showcase the other week this might give them a little kick up the arse. I want all these wankers on there toes, Jim and Phil are not our mates, I want them stressed to fuck about the other mob and keep pushing to out do each other.

Jadsey

I am normally pretty harsh on Xbox (with good reason), but I thought this showcase was actually quite good.

Certainly far, FAR better than Sony...I still haven't got over how bad that was.

I'd actually been thinking about selling my Series X after I have played Starfield, but I will 100% hold onto it now.

2024 looks stacked if they actually get the games out to a decent/high quality.

They are back in the game I would say.

Last edited:
Poor IMO.

I don't care how bad Sony's was in comparison, I am judging this on it's own merits.

Fable, no gameplay. Not even a 2024 window. This game started development in 2017. Even more importantly, the comedy fell flat for me.

Hellblade, I thought they might use this showcase to demo improved gameplay. The first game bored me to tears, and this looked like more of the same.

Avowed - the one and only highlight of the show for me. I am a sucker for high fantasy, I like Obsidian. Yes, looked great. Capcom's game looked great too.

No Everwild, no Perfect Dark. Never ending Flight Sim, Fallout 76 and ESO.

All of the other games looked low budget with average game play IMO.

How have they got 20 studios but can't produce one surprise? Even in partnership with someone else. They delivered what I considered the bare minimum baseline (basically just trying to provide updates on the games they announced 100 years ago).

Sadly I agree with a lot of this esp the bit about Hellblade 2. No Perfect Dark? Still? Avowed looked bad. No Fable gameplay means it's still long ways away. Also, how many times they going to announce an expansion for Fallout 76 without announcing a Series X upgrade? Flight Sim? Cool I guess but how about fixing the God Forsaken ui first.

Lastly- no announcements of any BC patches for Quantum Break, Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, fh3, Gears 1 ultimate, Dead rising 3!!!!!

splattered

There should be an extended after show at some point i think? There will probably be more announcements then.. maybe? Phil mentioned "collections" in that previous interview and we saw no collections in this showcase so maybe smaller things like BC/Upgrades/Collections/etc will come in the followup show? Dunno

Ozriel

M$FT
Nothing close as impressive as spider man 2. Starfield is close, but the rest of the first party and third party games didn't feel even last gen.

I mean, it's your opinion and to each their own, but for me, the Starfield bit completely blew away the Spiderman 2 segment. Not even close.

One overwhelmed with the sheer scope and systems. The other looks good and all, but didn't look that dissimilar to what we already played across two games.

I cant go lower than an A. Not A+ because i would’ve liked more gameplay , especially from Hellblade 2. Most of the games shown are 2024 and beyond releases with some hazy release dates at that. BUT Starfield looks like the craziest game probably ever made and im not really sure if thats hyperbole. So when that comes out i likely wont care about any other games until 2024 so yeah i’m buying an X for Starfield and i’m happy that ill get to play all this other great looking stuff in 24’ and beyond. Phil is wrong. Good games will make a difference and i think this showing was a great start to shift the narrative and momentum for Xbox. Its not so much about beating Sony its moreso about them executing their gameplan well and having these games release more frequently and be good from a quality and performance standpoint when we play them. Do that and we will have some healthy competition again between platforms and all us gamers will benefit because of it. Great job Xbox 👏

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Strong B. For bitchslapping. You know who.

Games I'm interested in all looked great, definitely a good day for Phil and the gang.

Starfield stole the evening.

Elios83

If we take out the Starfield show, then it was very poor. My reasons:
  • 1st party games still did not show proper gameplay. Hellblade 2 was all cinematic, Fable had no gameplay, etc.
  • Avowed looks absolutely awful. Biggest disappointment for me.
  • Still no release dates.
  • We just watched a 1-hour show. What's the next big game after Starfield, and when is it coming? No one has an answer.
  • It was just mostly AAs.
  • No third-party exclusives. All were multi-platform games.
  • Still no State of Decay 3, Contraband, Everwild, Indiana Jones, or Perfect Dark. Been 3 years. What the hell!

Pretty much outside Starfield the rest was the usual Xbox showcase, even with the advantage of being many years into development many teams were still missing in action or showing just "cinematic" trailers.
The rest was basically the "we bought marketing rights for a bunch of Sega games" show.

I think it was an okay show but it simply isn't giving any reason for people to invest into the Xbox ecosystem compared to what were already known quantities like Starfield.

Last edited:

Superkewl

Gold Member
As I posted in the OT, I found it kind of underwhelming. I would give it a 6.5/10. The only things I was excited for going in was Starfield and Phantom Liberty, and those were the only things I was excited about at the end. Too many cinematics, not enough gameplay.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Show was a C, but Starfield was A+.

Avowed look like it could be cool (but very basic graphics), Fable looks horrible, FS2024 is a really nice upgrade, the SW game might be cool, everything else wait and see but at least MS brought stuff out there. i didn't watch the Sony one but I rated SGF as a D.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Avowed was the game that was going to sell me an xbox…not happening now. I’ve enjoyed Fable in the past, but still no gameplay was a big fuck you. Aside from that, the games that interested me most are multiplat anyway. It was better than Sonys conference (not hard to do), but it was still below average to me. I’d give it a C- or so, about a 5/10, and that’s being generous because Avowed seriously hurt my feelings.

TheShocker

B-

Would have been an easy A had some of the big hitter games had 2023 release dates. 2024 releases are probably late in the year releases.

Also, Xbox is done with Halo it seems like. Which is super sad.

Last edited:

sachos

I voted "Ok" for lack of "Good", i think it was good 7/10. Disappointed with Avowed, Fable looks pretty good so far and coming along well and looks like its going to be amazing, interested by Clockwork Revolution and that other swamp guitar monster game that i forgot the name about. Hellblade i don't know how they haven't shown gameplay yet after so long. Starfield looks both amazing and classic Bethesda jank at times, feels weird, will have to wait and see the final game to make judgment. I missed id Software and MachineGames.

Last edited:
Top Bottom