• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the State of Play (31st January 2024)

Rate the state of play

• Total voters

Gaelyon

Gold Member
A. Great pacing, mostly great and diverse games, awesome trailer/annoncement from Kojima, no bullshit talking. It's the best State of play since 2020.

[Sigma]

Rate: C

Positives:

Helldivers 2 bringing the mechs back(had no doubt they would lol)

Stellar Blade(still not convinced on the story, that part is likely going to suck but the gameplay looks fun so whatever)

Rise of Ronin looks fun(but rough around the edges)

Dave the Diver on PlayStation. Been wanting this since I first saw it posted on here last year.

Death Stranding 2 - They showed more than enough, I think im already on DS2 blackout going forward.

Interested:

Judas

Silent Hill 2 is here instead of the just on the positive side as it looked more rough than expected. The animations need to be better.

The PSVR games looked interesting but i've still yet to actually commit to buying one.

Meh:

Sonic x Shadow Generations

FoamStars(still the plan to play this at least for a little bit as I did has some fun with the beta)

Zenless Zone Zero(didn't know what to make of it but we'll see)

Last edited:
Herman still sounds a bit stilted tbh, but he's probably a better point man for Sony given how involved he is in their pipeline.

Ryan was involved but he gave a "businessman" vibe in all his appearances, frequently put his foot in his mouth too imo.

Yeah Herman is automatically a better fit being the public-facing frontman given he's a game developer and deeply involved in the management process of the 1P teams. But he also strikes a good balance of being a businessman himself.

And not saying Jim Ryan was bad, just that you could tell he was very business-orientated to the point of foot-in-mouth syndrome, like you said. Tho some things unfairly so IMO like the email over the abortion stuff, that "certain places" tried tearing him to shreds for while bending over backwards for a certain other gaming CEO who kept failing to produce results backing up all his talk over the years.

But I'm not gonna get into all that.

Sad to see most people didn't like Ronin, for me it was the highlight.

Not the highlight for me, but agreed it seems like a lot maybe are a bit disappointed with it, mainly on the visuals front. But Team Ninja haven't really been cutting-edge on the visual front, IMO, since the late OG Xbox era, and that was eons ago.

The game doesn't even look bad visually, just not maybe what people were expecting. Seems like the kind of game where the gameplay loop and features, story and character dynamic options (like the romances) are going to carry it heavy.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I just finished watching it. First thing that came to mind after seeing each game. Overall. 4 out of 16 games are a must have for me. That's pretty damn good. Solid B for the show.

1. Helldivers seems like good chaotic fun.

2. Stellar Blade looks great, but it being the 4th time seeing it...I mean just release it already.

3. Sonic...I haven't played a Sonic game since the Dreamcast so not really my thing.

4. Zenless Zone Zero looks like an anime phone game. that's about all I can say. Kurtzpel vibes.

5. Foamstars...lol

6. Dave the Diver...why is this included in the show? Because of Godzilla?

7. V Rising. good game, but played it to death over a year ago.

8. Is it me or does Silent Hill: the Short Message, look more interesting thean the Silent Hill 2 remake. Shadow Drop is a dub.

9. Silent Hill 2...see #8.

10. Judas looks amazing. Day one.

11. Metro Awakening could be cool...I don't have a VR and wouldn't be spending an extra 400+ dollars to play it.

12. Legendary Tales...looks like a lot of other VR games.

13. Dragon's Dogma 2...day one. Too excited for this. New Gameplay looks fantastic.

14. Rise of Ronin has confirmed my fears of it's stiff gameplay and terrible animations. Hard Pass.

15. Until Dawn, never played the original...could be interesting. Need to see more.

16. Death Stranding 2. Kojima is a genius...makes me sick.

Not for me really. I don’t care about death stranding personally - the new game kojima talked about I’m definitely more into.

Judas looks worse than it did first trailer but I’m still interested. SH2 looks fine. Helldivers 2 is cool

Jesb

It’s a solid B for me. Silent Hill looks disappointing but I wasn’t expecting it to be good. Stella blade looks good, Rise of Ronin looks good, DD2 looked good but none of these were mind blowing games just overall like 7-8/10 games. But kojima basically made the show with DS2 and announcing a new ip like MGS it sounds like.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Normally I'd give it an F for no Everybody's Golf but in Kojima we trust so I gave it an A (should be Rank SSS).

Day 1:

Death Stranding 2
Dragon's Dogma
Kojima Next
Until Dawn (if there is an upgrade path)

Probably Day 1:

Judas
Stellar Blade

Kinda Interested In:

Rise of Ronin
Silent Hill 2 (just to see the trainwreck)

Crayon

Had actual games coming soon. That's a plus. I liked this. Stellar and Ronin look fucking awesome. Some stuff for the less mainstream-minded.

Fuck yeah on metro, though. AAA VR games are still few and far between but it's a lot better now than having alyx and nothing else. And as I always say, people have been asking for VR games with good graphics for a long time, even if they use different words for it. They have the system to do it but they still aren't taking full advantage.

The highlight was ds2... And reminding me that rebirth is close lol.

NahaNago

It was solid. You had great big games and tons of gameplay. The only issue was I would have liked to see big new games.

yurinka

Probably the best State of Play ever, PS5 is going to have a stunning 2024, DS2 just won the 2025 GOTY, plus free+shadow dropped Silent Hill combined with "new" IP from Kojima (MGS+Syphon Filter) are megatons. Most games look great, several of them GOTY candidates.

A+

If you didn't like this you hate videogames.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Sad to see most people didn't like Ronin, for me it was the highlight.
I don't know what it is about that game. I just can't see it as a GoT clone/ripoff. And it feels like it is an open-world game that doesn't need to be an open-world game. Idk, there is just something off about it to me.

It was solid. You had great big games and tons of gameplay. The only issue was I would have liked to see big new games.
I called it before the show, that nearly everything shown would be of stuff we have already seen or heard of before. This kinda show is mainly for stuff coming this year, and to also touch on stuff that was previously announced that may be coming soon. If you want to see mostly new stuff, the show to keep an eye out for is the one that comes in the middle of the year.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Other than Death Stranding setting a new bar for realtime visuals and overall production values, I thought it was weak. Nothing from Sony studios? Really? Judas looks interesting, and I’ll follow the Bioshock gang anywhere, but still.
So you like movies? Congrats, you are in the wrong place 😂

NahaNago

I called it before the show, that nearly everything shown would be of stuff we have already seen or heard of before. This kinda show is mainly for stuff coming this year, and to also touch on stuff that was previously announced that may be coming soon. If you want to see mostly new stuff, the show to keep an eye out for is the one that comes in the middle of the year.
We'll simply see new stuff from everyone else except Sony. I think the online multiplayer push really messed them up. Sony really needs to either beef up their studios or make smaller games.

Better than previous ones but still no fan of those directs. The content was alright though. I think the trailers had a good balance between regular trailer and mixing a bit more of gameplay into them. VR exklusives looked good but should be hybrid games. Judas, stellar blade, ronin should be good. Since I haven't played DS1, DS2 looks just insane and I have no idea what it's about. The trailers are great in their madness but also don't push me to be actually interested.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Get adamsapple to teach you how to be more discreet. You'll get banned faster than me

The trick is to never reply to any of the people replying to your page 1 post.

friends-joey-tribbiani.gif

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
For those who haven't kept score, Sony has let a lot of Japan go less represented in their offerings. You know, the same diversity and offerings that got them to the position they're at alongside world class devs across NA/EU?

So we get a show, which I personally have been critical of Sony for their lack of Japan rep, that makes up for some of that.

Then we all know that they have many more heavy hitters sitting in the sidelines and some of you want all of it now in this random January show?

Some of you need to be less obvious in your jabs only when it's convenient to you. Then you poke your head in to only critique and miss the big picture.

So when we get a show with more western vibe, will the same critique still be there or will it suck or not meet the high and mighty expectations of those of you that know who you are?

....................................I thought so.

EDIT - This "better showing" got a B- from me.

Last edited:

yansolo

i love the bioshock games so im excited for Judas, i was excited for ronin but i dunno now, looks a lot like tsushima that game was average for me

Beechos

Death stranding, helldivers 2 and bioshock game saved it for me. Everything else felt aa and mid. Until dawn remake looked worse than the orig ps4 version i guess they couldnt get the likeness of the orig actors. Psvr2 is def dead those vr games shown looked really bad.

We'll simply see new stuff from everyone else except Sony. I think the online multiplayer push really messed them up. Sony really needs to either beef up their studios or make smaller games.

To some extend yeah, I do feel the GaaS stuff might've derailed some project timelines internally. But I also feel that changes were probably implemented in the middle of last year, shortly after that May showcase. However, if anything was thrown off, it'd take time to get everything back into place.

Thankfully Sony/SIE have a lot of 2P projects going on, including through branches like XDEV, and they very likely have marketing rights to upcoming massive games like GTA6. I think they'll be fine for this year and the next, and by 2026 all internal 1P operations would be fully back on track without GaaS distraction derails (outside of whatever specific studios are specializing in that, which would be the new ones like Haven and Deviation).

I do agree that it'd be a smart move if SIE got back to making more internal AA games, though. Especially if they've adjusted the PC port strategy (hopefully, with at least 2x longer windows between versions, or just saving PC for GaaS and ports/remasters of very old/legacy games or the occasional remake of an old game that could be Day 1); redirect that focus to more 1P AA software, or a mix of that and co-development of more 3P AA/AAA exclusives.

For those who haven't kept score, Sony has let a lot of Japan go less represented in their offerings. You know, the same diversity and offerings that got them to the position they're at alongside world class devs across NA/EU?

So we get a show, which I personally have been critical of Sony for their lack of Japan rep, that makes up for some of that.

Then we all know that they have many more heavy hitters sitting in the sidelines and some of you want all of it now in this random January show?

Some of you need to be less obvious in your jabs only when it's convenient to you. Then you poke your head in to only critique and miss the big picture.

So when we get a show with more western vibe, will the same critique still be there or will it suck or not meet the high and mighty expectations of those of you that know who you are?

....................................I thought so.

EDIT - This "better showing" got a B- from me.

Good point. There was a lot of Japan & Asian presence in the SOP, and some stuff feeling like natural evolutions of the kind of less mainstream/cult cuts that we regularly got in the 6th and 7th gens, like with Stellar Yams (Blade). Stuff that seems like it wants to be really cool games and okay with some weirdness in them.

Somehow that's gone over a lot of people's heads :/

Last edited:

Schmendrick

thoroughly "meh", a D from my side.
Feels like I've seen everything on that show in a 100 variants before. There was nothing that looked "new" or stood out.

Last edited:
Woke up here in Japan, avoided the internets and went straight to YT to watch the SoP, wrote all this as I was watching so they are my pure, unfiltered thoughts:

Helldivers 2 - looks great, shredding apart robotic enemy reminded me of the excellent Binary Domain

Stellar Blade - Fuck. Yes! That ass, those jiggle physics, that action. This will be this generation's Bayonetta/Devil May Cry, mark my words.

Sonic - looks pretty good, reminded me of Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast.

ZZZ - no interest in F2P Chinese crap

FoamStars - thanks but I'm good lol

Dave the Diver - looks great, heard nothing but good things, now with Godzilla apparently

Rising - first 5 seconds and I thought "is this a Blood Omen sequel!?" Alas, no, but isometric vampire adventuring is right up my alley

Silent Hill - available today!? FREE!? And we got a SH2 tease finally? SoP is cooking now baby!

Judas - HELL FUCKING YES, IN NY VEINS! We missed you Ken!

Metro - I love this series, zero interest in VR, shame.

Legendary Tales - again, no interest in VR

Dragon's Dogma - went from day 1 to waiting for PS Pro unless it has a Performance Mode, looking real good though!

Ronin - big Sekiro vibes with the grappling around and sword deflects. Visuals could be better but Team Ninja always delivers so I can deal with it.

Until Dawn - another remaster? lol

DS2 - LET'S GO MOTHERFUCKER!! Nobody does it like Kojima man, fuck yes! I said this was my most anticipated game of 2024 trailer unseen, never doubt the God! Absolutely mesmerizing, hypnotic, wild, creative, visually spellbinding. Puppet companion = god-tier. Give me this game NOW! GOTY 2024 INCOMING! Wait, 2025?!? Nooooooooo 😂😂😂. What?? New stealth game from Kojima! Oh good God almighty 🔥🔥🔥

Conclusion: Death Stranding 2 alone made it an A, big facts. Strong showing, I said multiple times we wouldn't see anything from Bend, SSM, ND, Housemarque or SuckerPunch until later in the year so there was nothing to be "disappointed" about. I do wonder about Bluepoint and whether it will be *their* next project that will be PlayStation's big fall release since DS2 is 2025, wait and see I guess.

Last edited:

drotahorror

C

Helldivers , Sonic, Judas. Maybe some other stuff too just not convinced. Sonic and Judas were a couple of cool semi surprises though.

Hoddi

Solid B

Tons of good looking games but lacking that one game to truly blow me away. Judas had me the most hyped and Stellar Blade might be a good Bayonetta clone if they get the gameplay right. Metro VR also looked really good as I was a pretty big fan of the originals.

Top Bottom