• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play - June 02, 2022

SSfox

I ..... I .... think, this is sarcasm. question mark.
No i'm serious, outside of VR which i don't care and PC porting there was nothing. And i'm playstation fanboy but it's just a fact, Sony is fucking doing everything wrong and following those MS/EA/Acti that are more about money making than passion. Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst a PS leader is big big big mistake. Why are you call in it a Playstation stream and ask me to tune for Playstation news to then announce me PC news? like WTF are you nuts or mad???!!

ZehDon

Gold Member
Third parties - mostly Capcom - carried this on their backs. Sony is closing out 2022 with literally nothing, and unless Microsoft has something up their sleeve, 2023 was a busy on the first party front.

I look forward to The Calypso Protocol and RE4 on my Xbox, hopefully RE8 VR on my PC. FFXVI looked good, but after FFXV I’m waiting for player reviews before getting excited. Spider-Man on PC was a nice surprise, I but expected more from Sony. And by more, I meant basically anything.

Still, a great show thanks to the third party titles. Calypso just shot straight to the stop of my most wanted list.

kyoji

So much inaccuracy but like i said sf6 is on Xbox and last gen! I know what I'm talking about. Capcom not making the same mistake again. Boom!
still dont know what you are on about same mistake, SF V is the 2nd best performing SF game to date. There are graphs.

tmlDan

No i'm serious, outside of VR which i don't care and PC porting there was nothing. And i'm playstation fanboy but it's just a fact, Sony is fucking doing everything wrong and following those MS/EA/Acti that are more about money making than passion. Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst a PS leader is big big big mistake. Why are you call in it a Playstation stream and ask me to tune for Playstation news to then announce me PC news? like WTF are you nuts or mad???!!
are you serious? this can't be a real take.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
still dont know what you are on about same mistake, SF V is the 2nd best performing SF game to date. There are graphs.
And probably doesn't sell that much on Xbox.
Third parties - mostly Capcom - carried this on their backs. Sony is closing out 2022 with literally nothing, and unless Microsoft has something up their sleeve, 2023 was a busy on the first party front.

I look forward to The Calypso Protocol and RE4 on my Xbox, hopefully RE8 VR on my PC. FFXVI looked good, but after FFXV I’m waiting for player reviews before getting excited. Spider-Man on PC was a nice surprise, I but expected more from Sony. And by more, I meant basically anything.

Still, a great show thanks to the third party titles. Calypso just shot straight to the stop of my most wanted list.
3rd parties carrying a SOP about 3rd parties seems logical to me.Just like Horizon carried the Horizon state of play...

VN1X

Banned
IMAGINE BEING UNDERWHELMED BY RE4, ROLLERDROME, FFXVI AND SF6.

Dieting Macys Parade GIF by The 95th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

This wasn't their Showcase. That's for September (most likely). They said upfront this was for VR and 3P games. Though the Spiderman PC port was surprising (I'm sure most are enthused, some are probably upset but it is what it is).

I don't think you should ever use a SoP as an indication of where PS is as an ecosystem. If you want a clearer picture on the state of PlayStation wait for the big September showcase.

Some people want to hold on to this idea that SFV being exclusive is why it had a terrible launch. Well, SF2 was exclusive to SNES for a year and it did great. SFV had a bad launch because the netcode was really trash and there was barely any single-player content. The game was obviously rushed out the door a year or so too early.

It's cool that SFVI is going to be multiplatform (for everything except Switch, at least for now), but that's got nothing to do with SFV performance being bad due to being PS console exclusive. It's only like 100K behind SFIV lifetime and made a lot more in actual revenue and profit. Plus, the game itself got much better from Season 3 onward. It's pretty far away from being a failure.

Last edited:
Average show. Solid announcement with the RE4 Remake.

Should've ended with something big from Naughty Dog or Santa Monica. Still no reason to use my ps5 again till next year.
This was a State of Play, not a PlayStation Showcase.

They explicitly said it was third-party stuff along with PSVR 2 games - no new first-party stuff outside of PSVR 2.

Showcases are where we will see what studios like Naughty Dog, Insomniac, etc are working on.

Papacheeks

Banned
I think for only showing things coming within the next 12 months or so it did a good job of being concise and showing a lot of content coming soon and farther down the line. I doubt Microsoft will have something thats this streamlined. And people even said on giantbomb, and grubbsnax that Sony FIrst party will be shown throughout SUmmer Game Fest.

So info on God of war will happen soon.

I'm impressed many of these games shown are coming out this year. No years long waiting.
I thought PS+ wasn't going to have day one games and now Stray is there day one.
I though fighting games were a dead genre so surprised to see a new Street Fighter.
Already played my Fill of Tunic, I bailed after only a few hours.
Still not sure about PSVR2. I will probly get it (for the kids) :)
I'll give the show a solid C as it did not suck.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Really dont think so

Better than before, but still worse than FF VII R by a wide margin.

Even worse than FF XV in terms of lighting and shaders

I'm hyped for the game, but graphics arent a selling point for me
I can give you the FFXV but not the PS4 pro version on PC FFXV is still one of the best-looking games out there. Check out the actual in game screen grabs in the promo material though the stream doesn't do the game any actual justice. FF VII R is its own thing and yea that looks pretty damn amazing also.
4K screens from PR:

picture_ex_05.jpg
picture_ex_03.jpg
picture_ex_04.jpg
picture_ex_07.jpg
picture_ex_01.jpg

Attn @Yoshichan

CamHostage

See page 1 of the thread: "30 minutes of "announcements and updates", with some "exciting" third-party reveals and a first look at PSVR2 games".

Third Parties was what the show was designed for, and announced as being centered on, long before it started. Sony will still likely have a PlayStation Showcase (which is different from State of Play, although this State of Play was different from past SoP shows) once again in September, where they will show their own 1st Party titles. Certainly GoW Ragnarok (if it doesn't already get a show of its own before that, and is probably this year) probably the TLoU Factions online game as well as the long-rumored TLoU1 Remake (which both might make it out this year,) and maybe something else.

As far as MS not having something up its sleeve, we don't know yet, but they did pull Forza Horizon 5 out of nowhere at its June show and they shipped it that year, so history could repeat there on Xbox as well. (Or not... they were most likely clearing the decks for the Starfield megaton and also had Bethesda's Redfall to schedule, so unless Forza 8 gets out early, they may have slipped their trick this year.)

supernova8

Banned
Overall it was meh. I suppose you could say RE4 saved it (not my cuppa tea but I know people want it).

- Street Fighter 6...... open world......?!
Sick Vomit GIF by CBS

- Horizon.......... climbing game?
Vomit Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

- Final Fantasy 16 new trailer
Season 9 Yes GIF by Friends

- Stray
Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

- Season
John Candy No GIF by Laff

-Calipso Popsicle
Comedy Central Ok GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

-Spiderman on PC?
Get Out Of Here Season 4 GIF by The Office

-Eternights
Season 1 Reaction GIF by Outlander

All I can say is I'm glad I didn't expect anything because then I could at least enjoy the minority of decent showings.

Last edited:

Brigandier

This was a State of Play, not a PlayStation Showcase.

They explicitly said it was third-party stuff along with PSVR 2 games - no new first-party stuff outside of PSVR 2.

Showcases are where we will see what studios like Naughty Dog, Insomniac, etc are working on.

Sadly doesn't matter how many times we say this in every SoP thread... People will still complain that a quickfire 30 minute event wasn't as good as an E3 press conference and lolsucks.

Also do people really think FFXVI looks meh? The 4k trailer looks very good, Not omfg levels but it's an improvement over the reveal in 2020.

Sadly doesn't matter how many times we say this in every SoP thread... People will still complain that a quickfire 30 minute event wasn't as good as an E3 press conference and lolsucks.

Also do people really think FFXVI looks meh? The 4k trailer looks very good, Not omfg levels but it's an improvement over the reveal in 2020.
Idk. It looked omfg levels to me. But I'm a lifelong FF fan and just seeing anything resembling an actual Final Fantasy game after XV is omfg by itself.

Brigandier

Idk. It looked omfg levels to me. But I'm a lifelong FF fan and just seeing anything resembling an actual Final Fantasy game after XV is omfg by itself.
Lol I can't wait for it personally.

Combat looks slick asf, I feel there will be hidden/secret eikon battles to find like Diabolos and Gilgamesh!!

Considering the lack of games we have gotten in these last two years. I wanted to see more, but hopefully this is just a appetizer for what’s to come next week.

I don’t believe most of the release dates but we will see.

Hugare

I can give you the FFXV but not the PS4 pro version on PC FFXV is still one of the best-looking games out there. Check out the actual in game screen grabs in the promo material though the stream doesn't do the game any actual justice. FF VII R is its own thing and yea that looks pretty damn amazing also.
These do look really good. Like FF XV PC or Witcher 3 at max settings good.

But I reckon that the art is doing the heavy lifting. Tech wise, it's just ok.

On the last screen, you can notice how the huge mountain sticks out when compared to the castle/town, like it's a PNG image instead of being made by geometry (because it probably is)

I bet an arm and leg that we wont be able to explore that city fully.

Fredrik

Just watched it:

RE4, amazing. I will finally play that, tried a few time on the original but it never stuck, tried it on VR too but it was too scary that way lol. Looked amazing here! And new control method? Old school cam, no shoulder cam?

VR Horizon, with floating hands? Really? Huge turnoff there. Otherwise it could be cool I guess.

SFVI looked fantastic! I want it now! I liked the new look, looked cool. Was there some walk through the city Final Fight type of gameplay or did I misinterpret the start?

Stray, amazing animation and feeling, beautiful.

Spidey on PC. Might look into that if it’s good, will try it through PS+ cheap first. Was Miles Morales there too? Think I saw him in the trailer.

FFXVI, cool cutscenes but I have no idea how it plays, some health bars popped up occasionally but it felt all random, most vague trailer yet that isn’t all preprendered.

Probably forgot other cool stuff but all on all the event was better than I expected with several new game unveils.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
this state of play is for hardcore true gamers like me that enjoy all kinds of games without any nitpicking wahwahwah where is tlou remake wawah

Last edited:

Naru

IMAGINE BEING UNDERWHELMED BY RE4, ROLLERDROME, FFXVI AND SF6.
Probably not by the games but because we knew about this already for the most part. And a remaster of a game that came out 3 console generations ago isn't that exciting. I didn't spend 500 bucks to play old games in higher resolution.

TheTony316

Calm down. It was a 40 second trailer of a game that released 4 years ago, lol.

Last edited:
State of Capcom you mean

Capcom fucking single handled this State of play holy SHIET, Sony outside of announcing PC porting there was nada, they're slowly losing it and becoming another lame big publisher.
Well yeah this was announced as a 3rd party state of play + VR2. If you expected Sony then you played yourself. You got what they promised.

FingerBang

Yeah RE4 Remake release date with VR, RE Village with VR, Street Fighter 6, not Dead Space. Absolutely terrible. 😂😂

I'm thinking the RE4 Remake date could be the PSVR2 release date.
I understand not liking the games, but seriously, how the fuck they can people consider this bad?

The number of "BAD, DUH, NO GOD OF WAR!" comments here and on Twitter are insane. Man, Osho was right. People are retarded.

Top Bottom