• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 4080 review thread

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Well

200.gif

Msi dropped this already, just under $1200…

Case upgrade time

This 4080 is expensive but it is going to beat modern games to a pulp. Kinda overkill. Right now, you can get pretty good stuff for $200-$500. If pc gaming means having a "flagship" gpu then yeah it might be too expensive. There's no rule that says a pc has to wipe the floor with consoles.
True. It's none of that, but this scaling up of prices, which makes sense business wise for the companies, but not for regular people with family trying to navigate hard times.

CPU wise I think we have finally some good prices right now for the previous gen. GPU wise not so sure. Do you recommend any models?

MarkyG

Nvidia are what Intel used to be. King of the hill, and their complacency is showing. They need bringing down a peg or two, so they are forced to be competitive with their pricing. Hope Intel and AMD can force their hand.

Elitro

People who buy new GPUs are the biggest suckers in gaming.
Controversial take, but it is starting to feel that way.

For someone like me that normally looks at 'value' level cards (XX70/XX80) it's hard to justify prices above 1k€ for them, and only last gen GPU's will provide prices below that target (600 - 800 would be my target).

Depending on how people accept these new prices, we either get a lost gen, or a new standard.

If this pricing continues, i see myself from here on onwards looking either to get last gen or cards on discount.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
According to the theory that says anyone with $1k will just spend 60% more for a 4090, these 4080's should sit on shelves. Somehow I don't think it's gong to work out that way.
It will not. They will all sell out even the ridiculously priced ASUS ones. The prices are so high that scalping will not be as much of a problem as it was with the 3000 series. The 4090s are selling for 2k on ebay, which is like a 100-200 buck take depending on shipping and taxes.

Also the 4090 is still super hard to get. I have been trying to score an FE since launch and only had it available at my BB region once so far. I did manage to nab an MSI order from Amazon on the 13th and that finally is coming today. I could see people failing with the 4090 cave and grab a 4080.
If this card sells more than AMD's offering then you know Nvidia was right in their pricing.
It probably will sell more. That doesn't mean they are right. NVidia has 4x the market share of AMD on GPUs so they should sell more. At the very least they will be manufacturing roughly 4x the cards and cards sell out for weeks after launch at a minimum. If AMD magically stockpiled a ton and has ramped up production then maybe they can do some damage, but that is a lot of ifs.

Jayjayhd34

Someone give that poor lad GAF gold… everyone’s dunking on him :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But seriously, just grab a used RTX 2080 Ti. They’re like $400-$450 these days and still very powerful cards.

Nah 2080 was struggling at 4k even without ray tracing to play cyberpunk good visuals and playble fps you had to forget ray tracing alltogether.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Hahahaha Nvidia are taking a piss and any suckers who buy this deserve to be scammed.
The 4090 is basically a different generation.
hs109Vl.png

Midn1ght

Hahahaha Nvidia are taking a piss and any suckers who buy this deserve to be scammed.
hs109Vl.png
They've got to leave some space for the 4080 Ti @ "only" 1499.99$
Hell, I want them to release a 4080 Super as well just for the lols.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So glad I grabbed my 4090...I expected this from early benches...

...But maybe I fell for Nvidias plan all along......

Buggy Loop

hs109Vl.png

4090 is a monster honestly. I feel like even the current CPUs are not letting it breath fully. It could end up that even 1 to 2 years down the line with better CPUs that the performance delta of 4090 keeps getting better.

As digital foundry pointed out though, quite amazing that for such a slice of silicon, the 4080 even keeps up that kind of performance. Either there's a lot of silicon in 4090 that won't really be stressed until we see crazy path tracing games ala Cyberpunk 2077 overdrive or such.

I'm not buying any damn cards this gen as anyway, i'm only on ultrawide 1440p and the 3080 Ti is plenty enough (for now), but i think the 4090 is way better placed against the 7900XTX than the 3090 was placed against the 6900 XT. It really seems like 4090 is in a league of its own.

CuNi

4090 is a monster honestly. I feel like even the current CPUs are not letting it breath fully. It could end up that even 1 to 2 years down the line with better CPUs that the performance delta of 4090 keeps getting better.

As digital foundry pointed out though, quite amazing that for such a slice of silicon, the 4080 even keeps up that kind of performance. Either there's a lot of silicon in 4090 that won't really be stressed until we see crazy path tracing games ala Cyberpunk 2077 overdrive or such.

I'm not buying any damn cards this gen as anyway, i'm only on ultrawide 1440p and the 3080 Ti is plenty enough (for now), but i think the 4090 is way better placed against the 7900XTX than the 3090 was placed against the 6900 XT. It really seems like 4090 is in a league of its own.

Technically, I would agree with you if it wouldn't need 4 Slots and 400W+ to feed that thing alone.
I feel like ever since we started making chips with 3+ slots, it all just became brute-forcing problems to keep on delivering the same performance gains between generations as before, but couldn't achieve this with architecture and node-shrink alone.

I know we all want GPUs to increase in performance infinitely, but I think we have reached a roadblock that slows us down if we don't change core ideas of how GPUs work or are utilized.
And we are seeing first attempts at solving this issue with MCM. I also think that cramming AI, RTX and raster-cores on the same card makes it a jack of all trades but also takes away "what it could've been" if it only had 1 or 2 of those instead of everything.

Admerer

The 4080 is flying off shelves just as predicted. Nvidia can charge whatever they want.
Hmmm, maybe AMD could do an unlaunching of the 7900xtx, and announce a higher price.

I still can't believe the 4080rtx sold out,
limited supply, scalpers, high demand,
can someone explain to me what's going on?

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

Dont have clue what's going on with this comment

The problem is people don't like change. For me I will always pay Nvidia tax simply because of all the headaches I had before I switched to Nvidia. Every machine I've had with Nvidia has just works and still here alot complaints from amd user.

Last edited:
Hmmm, maybe AMD could do an unlaunching of the 7900xtx, and announce a higher price.

What's going on is Nvidia know how to sell video cards. Their marketing is on point and they're the trusted GPU brand in the PC space.

AMD is going to have to make a better card at a way better price to compete properly with Nvidia and even then, Nvidia is Coka-Cola or Pepsi and AMD is RC Cola. I love RC Cola, but I ask for a Coke or Pepsi when I go out to eat.

winjer

Gold Member
DLSS 3 is 40 series exclusive right?

Kinda.
Some modders a couple of weeks ago managed to make it work on a 2070. But it had some issues.
Also, next year, FSR3 is coming out. And AMD is planning on having it be supported by a wider range of GPUs. Though they haven't disclosed how broad the support will be.

kiphalfton

This happens every generation since forever, but is exacerbated by a larger percentage of people now flipping stuff for a profit.

Crayon

True. It's none of that, but this scaling up of prices, which makes sense business wise for the companies, but not for regular people with family trying to navigate hard times.

CPU wise I think we have finally some good prices right now for the previous gen. GPU wise not so sure. Do you recommend any models?

I just upgraded from a 570 I've had since 2018. It came down to the 6600 and 6700 lineup and I ended up with a used 6600xt for $200. I'm happy with the performance and especially the price. I'm all over these new releases because it's fun but Im not even looking at $1,000 card.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I just upgraded from a 570 I've had since 2018. It came down to the 6600 and 6700 lineup and I ended up with a used 6600xt for $200. I'm happy with the performance and especially the price. I'm all over these new releases because it's fun but I even looking at $1,000 card.

The 6600XT is a great card for that price. Ad FSR 2.x and it's even better.
And the best thing is that you can mod FSR 2.x into most games that use DLSS 2.x

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Waiting for the 50 series. Need them to figure out how to make these more efficient. Also hoping they get their head out their ass with these prices.

Crayon

The 6600XT is a great card for that price. Ad FSR 2.x and it's even better.
And the best thing is that you can mod FSR 2.x into most games that use DLSS 2.x

FSR2 worked into my calculation, for sure. It's advertised as a 1080p card, but everything I've played on it so far runs at 1440. Except one game that just came out just falls a little short at 1440 but it has FSR 2 and it looks great with the reconstructed 1440. So I'm hoping that the few heavy games I buy over the next couple years will support FSR 2

Are there any Youtubers who don't put out thumbnails with absolutely cringeworthy expressions?

sick cringe GIF
They might be crinegworthy expressions, but the reality is they work and get clicks and the content creator runs to the bank laughing with a smile on his/her face.

Meanwhile, you complaining about them just gives the more visibility, free advertising and more engagements which means more money for then and absolutely nothing for you. You lose.

Keep it up, I make money from people like you.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
RTX 40-series are by far the most efficient GPUs out today.

energy-efficiency.png
Welp...do it better. I got a 3080...I don't play in 4k on PC. Basically 1440p 144 to 165 FPS. For over $1000 i think it's a better move to upgrade the CPU to AM5, again, when prices get better.

I do sometimes for cash or something easy. I'm a parent who has less time these days. Tactics Ogre is the last game that came to mind. Cash and maybe a 5 xp boost until I found out about the cap. The Deck helps a lot.
im a parent too, but eh that stuff takes all the fun/engagement out of it for me.

makes me feel like im playing the unofficial "story mode" of a game, where you're not actually playing the game.
like a tourist, if you will. like watching it on youtube or something.

KungFucius

King Snowflake

Its a combination of factors. Scalpers are a tiny one, but highly visible because there is no stock. The demand for 4080 should be higher than 4090 because of the price but overall the initial drop seemed to immediately go to OoS.

The cards didn't seem to go live at BB near me. They must have had a tiny quantity. I think they do some random thing by IP address and/or region to decide who gets a chance to queue for cards. I really hate it because I always lose the damn BB lottery and never get to go for the card I want while some dipshit scalper in Ohio can.

It is so strange how little supply they bring to the table for launch demand. Zotac store and MSI store had some this morning. Newegg had some I could see and I am sure MC had some for those who waited over night. The 4090 launch has been awful too. I got mine today from Amazon. It took 34 days and 1.5 hours from my order to my doorstep. BB has only had 3 drops of 4090s.

Midn1ght

Is that so? Why? Cause you know I am right. Don't challenge something and then back out if you have no good argument to make lol. Backpeddles like a little kid. Such children.
Bro, chill. I just posted an image I found with one of those ridiculous YT faces and a "Baguette" inserted in their mouth.
I thought it was bad taste so I removed it.

Go do your funny faces on YT and get rich, it's all good.

Top Bottom