• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 4070 Super Review thread

SolidQ

When AMD get their act together for RT you'll be championing it just like the rest
Did you sleep well today? I don't care have AMD/NV RT or not. When PS6 is coming RT era going start. Hope there is gonna be first game based on RT, which give gameplay feature.

You're just painfully disingenuous claiming RT gives almost zero difference.
There is Metro/Cyber2077/Control(because close area) and that all

Us graphics and tech enthusiasts notice. I'm sure a lot of people don't notice the difference between PS4 and PS5 games either
enthusiast is small world. We're like 5-10%

Who gives a crap what the average person thinks?
They're main buyers. Did you saw how alot games selling with crap graphic? Especially in steam.

hinch7

15% faster than the OG and 10% slower than Ti, not bad. Still overpriced, but way better than older offerings.

Still happy with my 4070T which I got for a similar price, last year. With these new cards at least the resale value won't tank too much.

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

This post is how Nvidia wins cause it demonstrates how easily people's expectations are manipulated. Nearly 4 years later they re-release a quasi-3080 for $100 less and it's heralded as solid performance at a competitive price.

4 years ago, people would have murdered someone to get a card like this at this price point.

hinch7

4 years ago, people would have murdered someone to get a card like this at this price point.
The GPU-apocolpyse was a nightmare indeed. There's also inflation to consider. $500 in 2000 for the 3070 would be around $590 todays money. And $600 today, would be like $510 in 2020. And this GPU performs around a 3080Ti-3090.. which isn't bad. Just nothing spectacular and something Nvidia should've released as the 4070, last year.

Not to excuse the ridiculous prices and overly cut down designs, mind.. aka the 4080 and 4070Ti, to a degree.

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

Yes, cause of wildly inflated artificial demand to mine imaginary computer coins, and a once in a century pandemic locking literally the entire world in their homes. Neither of which are true today.
Which is why the cards are available and still cheaper than back then.

Schmendrick

The OG non crypto inflated price for a 3080 was ~700€ (i paid 600). 3 years later the 4070S is <10% faster and costs 700€ again......

What a shitshow the GPU market has become.

Joramun

i meant the 4070 ti super
4070 Ti Super is averaging only 8% better over the 4070 Ti :messenger_unamused:

Pretty disappointing.

Will wait for tech reviews on YT.

Will probably jump ship and go AMD. RT isn't a priority at the moment.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Has anyone got the 4070 super? When it is off or on, it always lights up red. It indicates problems with the electricity delivery. I have the problem with the included Nvidia cable but also with the Seasonic cable. I don't feel like sending it back and I've already changed all the cables several times.

Edit: Got a new one. Working perfectly now. Old one was broken.

Last edited:

Bojji

4070 Ti Super is averaging only 8% better over the 4070 Ti :messenger_unamused:

Pretty disappointing.

Will wait for tech reviews on YT.

Will probably jump ship and go AMD. RT isn't a priority at the moment.

I always told people that it will be ~10% and better only in BW heavy scenarios (not to mention VRAM limited) but some people want to believe that Nvidia will sell 4080 for 800$...

Few PC games are even pushing hardware with results worth mentioning. I love PC gaming but I just don't see the value proposition anymore. It's simply not there.

Leonidas

Few PC games are even pushing hardware with results worth mentioning. I love PC gaming but I just don't see the value proposition anymore. It's simply not there.
If you want to run the latest demanding games with higher than console settings, better image quality and/or higher framerates, you will have to get a PC GPU.

If you want to run last gen games at 60 FPS (without developer or platform holder intervention) or 120 FPS (or higher) you will have to have a PC GPU.

If you don't care about settings or performance, get a console... I upgraded to 4070 last year with no regrets since I can make use of the power it offers, PC games generally can vastly outperform the console counterparts.

For instance Prodeus on PS5 runs terribly (vs. a midrange PC). On PS5 it runs at 30 or 60 depending on resolution. That should be an easy 120 FPS title, my PC is running it at well beyond 120 FPS and my system is barely being utilzed.

Most PS4/PS4 Pro games running on PS5 are 30 FPS. On PC many of these games can easily be enjoyed at 120 FPS (or higher).

Last edited:

TexMex

Most of the analysis is another language to me. But I've been rocking a 1080 since 2018 and I just bought one of these, so it should be a nice upgrade and $599 seemed pretty reasonable.

Last edited:

hinch7

Disapointing. Wonder if the nerfed L2 cache is gimping the GPU. Horrible uplift anyway considering the spec bump and it using AD103. At least it has 16GB VRAM.

He (Steve) is right though.. This should've been the 4070Ti and launched last year. For probably $600 or so.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Disapointing. Wonder if the nerfed L2 cache is gimping the GPU. Horrible uplift anyway considering the spec bump and it using AD103. At least it has 16GB VRAM.

He (Steve) is right though.. This should've been the 4070Ti and launched last year. For probably $600 or so.

I have to agree with you. It's probably the 48MB that is dragging performance down.
The 4080 has 10% higher TFLOPs, but it's cache is much bigger, at 96MB.

smbu2000

Why not get a 4090? I wouldn't get anything less if upgrading from the previous top card.
Not everybody wants to pay top dollar for the super high-end, especiallly with higher 4090 prices now.
Maybe the person bought the 3090 during the crypto bubble and it was the only card they could get at msrp or bought at retail and decided later it wasn’t worth the extra money, but didn’t want to trade down since all cards were at super inflated prices then.

Anyway the 4080 (or better 4080 super) does provide benefits over the 3090. Less VRAM, but better performance and also the option to use FG. 4080 super should also add a tiny bit of extra performance over the 4080 and at a better price, especially compared to the 4090.

As for the 4070ti super, definitely disappointing results. 4070 super actually put it between 4070 and 4070ti. The 4070ti super barely increases over 4070ti. At least it does have 16gb of vram now.

lachesis

4070 ti super was one I was gunning for, but what a disappointment. At this price range, I guess I will just pass and wait another week for 4080 super…

Flyinmunky

My mate is getting a pre-built, tried to convince him to build his own but no go. Anyway he will be playing at 1080p for foreseeable future and wants Nvidia card.
Should he just get 4070 super which is in his budget? he looking at 7800x3d , 32gb ram, 2tb nvme etc
Is the jump to standard 70ti really worth it at 1080p for him?

hinch7

That's what most of us have been saying, these supers are the real 4000 series.
True. What's kills Ada LL is just the value, or lack thereof. Especially when compared last generation, with very little uplift overall outside the top end SKU to justify the cost. Its no wonder most of these are sitting on shelves.
I have to agree with you. It's probably the 48MB that is dragging performance down.
The 4080 has 10% higher TFLOPs, but it's cache is much bigger, at 96MB.
Yeah there's something off with how the card should perform relative to its specs. I think its 64MB's in the 4080 but thats still a 25% reduction to 48 in the Ti Super.

StereoVsn

Yeah, I don't know what prices are like/ should be. Got mine in a pre-built.
But they seem to be available many places at least.
They are running $1,800 and up. That’s ridiculous price to pay for a new GPU.

Personally I have a 3080Ti that I got at a small discount way back at launch and I still feel ripped off, lol.

4080 / Super doesn’t offer enough uptake for me and 4090 is way too expensive. So might as well wait for 5080 in a year.

As to 4070Ti Super, what the hell is going on with performance. I expected at least 10% higher considering the move to bigger chip.

At least 4080 Super cuts the price by 20% and should be marginally quicker. 4070Ti seems just disappointing.

4070 Super while still too expensive is probably the most reasonable card in the market right now unless you don’t care about RT/DLSS and then 7900XT if you can grab it at $700 seems like a decent deal.

Or 7800xt at $450-500.

this is what happens when you dominate the market while the competition has barely anything that can compete in the high end segment. Single digit improvements year after year.

My mate is getting a pre-built, tried to convince him to build his own but no go. Anyway he will be playing at 1080p for foreseeable future and wants Nvidia card.
Should he just get 4070 super which is in his budget? he looking at 7800x3d , 32gb ram, 2tb nvme etc
Is the jump to standard 70ti really worth it at 1080p for him?
4070 and its variants are overkill for 1080p gaming. They are meant for 1440p.

//DEVIL//

These are super disappointing. 3% jump from 4070ti on average. It's literally like 103 frames higher than the 4070ti most of the time. At least the 4070 S is roughly like 20% higher on average.
The video is not accurate. The card they used is 5% on average slower then any other card due to a software but. So all the video review is kinda a dud

Top Bottom