• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 4060 Ti review thread

Hot5pur

This generation is pretty bad compared to previous ones for sure.
That's what you get with basically a monopoly and at best an oligopoly.
They might wait to push out all the old stock and then do a refresh, who knows.
I think if you have a 30xx series card you can easily hold till 50xx series, the ultra settings/raytracing are there mostly for FOMO and pushing you to spend more money.

Elysium44

Banned
But it clearly does? Ok, it's a 2080...

People seem to have short memories. The GTX 960 in 2015 barely beat the three year old GTX 670 and was slower than the 770, never mind the 780.

perfrel_1920.gif

Spyxos

Gold Member
RTX 4060 Ti 16GB Marginally Slower than 8GB Model for just 100 bucks more.

MSI Insider Weekly tested an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB graphics card as part of a Live Benchmarking event, where it is shown to be in fact slower than the RTX 4060 Ti 8 GB. This begins to explain why NVIDIA or its board partners weren't too keen on sampling the RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB for reviews. The performance delta between the 16 GB and 8 GB models is within 0.5%, but the 16 GB model is slightly behind the 8 GB in Cyberpunk 2077, F1 23, and Rainbow 6: Siege, all in Ultra (or equivalent settings). The performance is neck-and-neck in Fortnite and Hogwarts Legacy. The only test where the 16 GB variant is ahead is with CS:GO.

Besides the memory size, the RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB has identical specs—core configuration, clock-speeds, power limits, to its 8 GB sibling. One possible explanation for the 16 GB performing slightly worse could be that the higher density 16 GB memory is imposing a slightly higher latency, or having a negligibly higher power draw, but these are all just theory-crafting on our part. The RTX 4060 Ti still has 225 W at its disposal. NVIDIA has proved its point that 16 GB makes no difference to the performance of the RTX 4060 Ti. It's now up to the board partners to sell these cards at a whopping 25% higher price than the 8 GB model. Ideally, NVIDIA could have spruced up the 16 GB variant a little, by enabling all 18 TPCs on the AD106 (the RTX 4060 Ti enables 17); and if the AD106 supports GDDR6X, they should have dialed up memory speed to 21 Gbps.

Lmao Laughing GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

RTX 4060 Ti 16GB Marginally Slower than 8GB Model

MSI Insider Weekly tested an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB graphics card as part of a Live Benchmarking event, where it is shown to be in fact slower than the RTX 4060 Ti 8 GB. This begins to explain why NVIDIA or its board partners weren't too keen on sampling the RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB for reviews. The performance delta between the 16 GB and 8 GB models is within 0.5%, but the 16 GB model is slightly behind the 8 GB in Cyberpunk 2077, F1 23, and Rainbow 6: Siege, all in Ultra (or equivalent settings). The performance is neck-and-neck in Fortnite and Hogwarts Legacy. The only test where the 16 GB variant is ahead is with CS:GO.

Besides the memory size, the RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB has identical specs—core configuration, clock-speeds, power limits, to its 8 GB sibling. One possible explanation for the 16 GB performing slightly worse could be that the higher density 16 GB memory is imposing a slightly higher latency, or having a negligibly higher power draw, but these are all just theory-crafting on our part. The RTX 4060 Ti still has 225 W at its disposal. NVIDIA has proved its point that 16 GB makes no difference to the performance of the RTX 4060 Ti. It's now up to the board partners to sell these cards at a whopping 25% higher price than the 8 GB model. Ideally, NVIDIA could have spruced up the 16 GB variant a little, by enabling all 18 TPCs on the AD106 (the RTX 4060 Ti enables 17); and if the AD106 supports GDDR6X, they should have dialed up memory speed to 21 Gbps.

I'm taking it they clam-shelled the memory vs going with 4GB modules which will generally result in a bit more latency on the memory. The 16GB might be a nice pickup if gets to fire sale level pricing, in VRAM heavy games the extra 8GB certainly won't hurt.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll

Performance should not be compared solely in terms of FPS. In videos claiming that 8GB of VRAM is insufficient, major FPS drops and stuttering were prominent issues. These are the aspects I expect to see in such comparisons.

Senua

The gift that keeps on giving

Elysium44

Banned

Trying too hard here. The 16GB model is at worst 0.5% slower in some cases only, which is within margin of error. You could probably test two 8GB cards together (or even the same one twice) and get similar results.

Meanwhile it predictably has superior lows due to the extra memory which will only be more useful as time goes on.

TyN1WDl.jpg

supernova8

Banned
Trying too hard here. The 16GB model is at worst 0.5% slower in some cases only, which is within margin of error. You could probably test two 8GB cards together (or even the same one twice) and get similar results.

Meanwhile it predictably has superior lows due to the extra memory which will only be more useful as time goes on.

TyN1WDl.jpg
Don't tell me that's a screen from a video of one of the many fake youtube benchmarkers?

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Most games they are the same performance, and in others that need more memory it's a pretty noticeable difference, especially the 1% lows.

Steve summed it up nicely, this should have been the only 4060Ti and sold for 350.
Current prices of both cards is a joke.

Buggy Loop

Yea it makes senses to find scenarios where 8GB chokes and 16GB flies through. Especially when you'll have games @ 4K + RT + Frame gen. But again, anyone buying 8GB cards for 4K.... 🤦‍♂️

Bojji

Yea it makes senses to find scenarios where 8GB chokes and 16GB flies through. Especially when you'll have games @ 4K + RT + Frame gen. But again, anyone buying 8GB cards for 4K.... 🤦‍♂️

You can find those scenarios at 1080P ultra settings. 😂

Yeah, fuck me.. people still think 8gb of ram is plenty. You can fill that small memory buffer in new games even below 4k. Nvidia MAGIC dlss3 is a memory hog on its own, why are they even releasing ada cards with less than 10gb of memory is beyond me.

People can laugh about 16gb version of 4060ti but this GPU will "work" for much longer. Too bad price is fucking stupid...

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I want to upgrade my 1070 but everything is trash with an insane price
They are selling 4060 at 600€
Am i stuck until next gen again ?
I still play on 1080p 144hz but don't plan on upgrading the screen

Bojji

For Nvidia 4070 is the best pick in terms of price performance, 5xxx series will release 2025 based on rumors.

AMD is much better in terms of price performance, 6800xt and 6950xt are great products but RT performance is limited and you don't have dlss (2 and 3).

SScorpio

For Nvidia 4070 is the best pick in terms of price performance, 5xxx series will release 2025 based on rumors.

AMD is much better in terms of price performance, 6800xt and 6950xt are great products but RT performance is limited and you don't have dlss (2 and 3).
It really comes down to what games you are playing. But the 4070 vs 6950 keep trading blows at 1080 ultra.

The concern is the mention of a 4060 at 600 Euro, so who knows what the prices for other cards is. In the US, the 4070 and 6950 are both around $600, and the features and much lower power draw makes the 4070 a compelling choice.

PeteBull

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1070.c2840 look at avg perf increase vs ur old trusty 1070 and decide whats ur budget and expectations, i think rx 6700xt for 350€ is lowest u should aim for https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product...x-6700-xt-12-gb-pulse-video-card-11306-02-20g
Depending on the budget u could go for rx 6800 with its 16gigs https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product...-fighter-oc-video-card-axrx-6800-16gbd6-3dhoc or even 7900xt https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product...on-rx-7900-xt-20-gb-video-card-rx-7900-xt-20g

Currently nvidia's cards in low/midrange are really badly priced unfortunately, maybe if u got deal on rtx 4070 coz its still pretty expensive for the performance it offers(at least it has 12gigs of vram tho) https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product...ce-rtx-4070-12-gb-video-card-dual-rtx4070-12g

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

You can pick up better value 6000 series cards at great deals. You’re not stuck.

SolidQ

If you want play whole PS5 gen + PS6 crossgen period just wait next gen cards. You will have enough time pile up money for 5080/8800

DaGwaphics

Remember that this is a 4050Ti rebranded to 4060 Ti.
This card should cost 250$, at most.

The cost of memory has come down, but not to the point that 16GB or even 12GB cards are sustainable in production at $250. Maybe $350 and eventually $250 when clearing unsold stock.

This is specifically what happened to the A770 16GB and why they have a hard time discounting those to a level that would be good price to performance at this point.

ThisIsMyDog

If you want play whole PS5 gen + PS6 crossgen period just wait next gen cards. You will have enough time pile up money for 5080/8800
haha-michael-scott-0kiu9diuqjfru72i.gif

I always laugh at this advice, "wait another 100 years and then you will buy something better."

And i do not know here this guy found 4060 at 600euro, where i live I see that prices starts from 330euro.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Money isn't really a problem it's just that i don't want to pay that much for a GPU
The 1070 i paid 300 for it

winjer

Gold Member
The cost of memory has come down, but not to the point that 16GB or even 12GB cards are sustainable in production at $250. Maybe $350 and eventually $250 when clearing unsold stock.

This is specifically what happened to the A770 16GB and why they have a hard time discounting those to a level that would be good price to performance at this point.

16 GB of GDDR6 costs 55$.
Chances are the rest of the card costs less than 100$ to make.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
haha-michael-scott-0kiu9diuqjfru72i.gif

I always laugh at this advice, "wait another 100 years and then you will buy something better."

And i do not know here this guy found 4060 at 600euro, where i live I see that prices starts from 330euro.
Now prices are going down a bit but on amazon i still find the 4060ti for 500€
And that's scam considering almost no improvement coming from the 3060ti
If the 4060 had the performance of the 3080 like all older models then yes i would buy it

PnCIa

Now prices are going down a bit but on amazon i still find the 4060ti for 500€
And that's scam considering almost no improvement coming from the 3060ti
If the 4060 had the performance of the 3080 like all older models then yes i would buy it
It can hallucinate frames better, gotta give them that.

DaGwaphics

16 GB of GDDR6 costs 55$.
Chances are the rest of the card costs less than 100$ to make.

Once you figure in even a reasonable profit margin for the chip manufacturer (AMD/Nvidia), the board partners and the retailers the possibility for a $250 16GB card all but vanishes.

Plus, the 4060ti, in spite of it's limited bus width, does manage to basically outperform the RX6700XT in all scenarios with the 16GBs. Making it unreasonable to say the card should be priced less than that one, which at firesale pricing is viewed as a decent deal. Definitely shouldn't be priced $200 over the 6700xt though, I'll give you that.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Once you figure in even a reasonable profit margin for the chip manufacturer (AMD/Nvidia), the board partners and the retailers the possibility for a $250 16GB card all but vanishes.

Plus, the 4060ti, in spite of it's limited bus width, does manage to basically outperform the RX6700XT in all scenarios with the 16GBs. Making it unreasonable to say the card should be priced less than that one, which at firesale pricing is viewed as a decent deal. Definitely shouldn't be priced $200 over the 6700xt though, I'll give you that.

100$ of profit, most going to NVidia, is not bad.
Most GPU generations of xx50s had similar margins, probably even lower.
It's the big GPUs that have the bigger profit margins.

And having to compare to a GPU from a previous gen, to pretend this is good value is just silly.

BTW, I checked the price on stores around here. 580€ for this crap.
This has to be the worst GPU NVidia ever launched. Not even the FX5200 was this bad.

DaGwaphics

100$ of profit, most going to NVidia, is not bad.
Most GPU generations of xx50s had similar margins, probably even lower.
It's the big GPUs that have the bigger profit margins.

And having to compare to a GPU from a previous gen, to pretend this is good value is just silly.

BTW, I checked the price on stores around here. 580€ for this crap.
This has to be the worst GPU NVidia ever launched. Not even the FX5200 was this bad.

I never said $500 was a good price for it. LOL

Really a $30 or $40 premium over the 6700xt would be the correct pricing for it. But, Nvidia could have Nvidia taxed it a bit at $399 and still moved a lot more of them.

So I just bought a 4060Ti for 389, I'm not doing 4K gaming (my screen is just 1440p) and I currently have a 2060, so I thought this was a significant enough upgrade for that price. I'm not super graphics guy, I generally go for a mid-tier card upgrade every 3 years or so, just so I can run the latest releases at high with a decent FPS.

SScorpio

So I just bought a 4060Ti for 389, I'm not doing 4K gaming (my screen is just 1440p) and I currently have a 2060, so I thought this was a significant enough upgrade for that price. I'm not super graphics guy, I generally go for a mid-tier card upgrade every 3 years or so, just so I can run the latest releases at high with a decent FPS.
I upgraded a spare PC from a 1650 Super to a 4060ti I got for $342. It's still about 150% the performance and double the RAM. You'll see up to a 75% uplift from the 2060.

Elysium44

Banned
16GB card 29% faster than 8GB here.

wc1ZB9H.png

Top Bottom