• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Popeyes, Bojangles, Churches Chicken, or KFC? Best Nationwide fast food fried chicken?

Best Fried Chicken focused fast food joint?

• Total voters
Well for one, KFC introducing Grilled Chicken is basically equal to Treason, add the fact their non-bone chicken items taste like TV dinners and their actually Bone-in Fried Chicken is varying quality even in the same BUCKET it does subtract a lot of points.

But their grilled chicken is really good though.

As for their sides, I really like the potato wedges, but the mashed potatoes, mac and cheese etc, no, it's not great quality, but it gets the job done.

I will say that KFC Georgia Gold sauce is the best.

Oh yeah, that stuff is great.

highrider

Banned
Chicken Camper? Sounds like an old Call of Duty player

Very big chicken, chain restaurant from Central America but the are all over the DC, Maryland, Virginia area. Best I’ve had of the fast food variety chicken. They use a marinade that gives it a nice zip, and it’s consistent like Popeyes. And the sides are really good. I always though Pollos Hermanos from Breaking Bad was based on it.

Last edited:

Very big chicken, chain restaurant from Central America but the are all over the DC, Maryland, Virginia area. Best I’ve had of the fast food variety chicken. They use a marinade that gives it a nice zip, and it’s consistent like Popeyes. And the sides are really good. I always though Pollos Hermanos from Breaking Bad was based on it.

Nice!

Da-Kid

Churches

Churches has some good biscuits when fresh and honestly they beat out Popeyes by having more timed menu specials.

But Popeyes has some good ass sides like their Dirty Rice, Mash Potatoes, and the glorious Res Beans and Rice. But overall I think the chicken are both good but different.

KFC is trash. Never tried the others.

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
I love popeyes spices, but they buy the absolutely lowest quality chicken they can find.

But their grilled chicken is really good though.

As for their sides, I really like the potato wedges, but the mashed potatoes, mac and cheese etc, no, it's not great quality, but it gets the job done.

Oh yeah, that stuff is great.

Some people subtract points off KFC for selling Grilled Chicken at a Fired Chicken restaurant. That's how things go.

womfalcs3

Banned
The last few times ive been to KFC (different branches), I ended waking up in the middle of the night to go vomit.

Needless to say, I havent been there since, and it is the worst of all the ones listed.

I'd say Bojangles.

Da-Kid

KFC does not cook their chicken right. I've been to multiple KFC's and they suck.

Their biscuits are flavorless. The Chicken is never perfectly cooked. Its slimy and undercooked. The flour batter is uncooked inside, and way too often I bite into a big overcooked/undercooked piece of pure batter with zero chicken. How do you even accomplish that?

The only thing good about KFC is their Bone-In party wings, and their chicken bowls

Now I can eat their chicken bowls all day. Other than that, trash

Last edited:

lil puff

As far as the chicken, I prefer Popeyes, but I don't hate any of them, I'll eat them all.

I don't like Popeyes fries, though. Prefer KFC wedges. Caveat, I hate Popeyes Stripes tho. Occasionally there is a rubbery, non chicken tasting piece in them.

Don't care for the biscuits, cause I've already got fries and that's just too much carbs for me.

Sides are neither here nor there for me, I usually just get fries.

cryptoadam

Banned
I mean sometimes when I get to KFC one piece is juicy and steaming hot and next piece will be a completely different color, like it will legit look a week old. It’s hard to explain. Same with the Famous Bowls. Sometimes it’s amazing and the next the cheese isn’t even melted, everything is ice cold. That mostly sums up my KFC experience

its to inconsistent and the skin is good but the chicken itself is always hit and miss.

Though I do love their coleslaw.

its to inconsistent and the skin is good but the chicken itself is always hit and miss.

Though I do love their coleslaw.

Yeah I think they have good slaw, potatoes+gravy, and wedges.

The KFC Mac and cheese tastes worse than 60 second insta Mac out of a microwave. Biscuits are plain.

Last edited:
Someone once told me and not sure if its true, that KFC was the only food that weight watchers did not allow.

anytime I see a list of “absolutely worst food to eat” or “most unhealthy fast food items” KFC or KFC items are always neat the top of the list. I mean everything on the lists are bad for you but from what I read it sounds like KFC tends to throw in even more egregious amounts of sodium in everything. I think one little pot pie has more than your suggested daily intake, for example. I could be wrong.

That’s one thing I appreciate about chick-fil-a is they have somewhat reasonable amounts of sodium in their meals. I mean again, don’t get me wrong, fast food is fast food for a reason, it’s all bad, but I don’t feel too guilty after Chuck-Fil-A unless I went all out and got a milkshake with it

lil puff

Yeah I think they have good slaw, potatoes+gravy, and wedges.

The KFC Mac and cheese tastes worse than 60 second insta Mac out of a microwave. Biscuits are plain.
Those biscuits are so dry, if I take a bite, it takes like several minutes for that shit to get down my throat.

brap

Banned
I don't like Popeyes fries, though.

giphy.gif

lachesis

Well, to be honest I'd take any Korean fried chicken joints on most of the times - but I guess they are not nationally available. I do have a soft spot for good ol' southern style fried chicken - and since I have only gotten 2 of available candidates (KFC and Popeyes) - so my vote goes to Popeyes. I do remember having my first KFC in South Korea back in early-mid 80s (IIRC) - it was a heavenly experience - but the KFCs in US or at least over the years have been consistently disappointing. Popeyes - although it's a hit and miss in many times - have gave me much better experience.

FStubbs

Well, to be honest I'd take any Korean fried chicken joints on most of the times - but I guess they are not nationally available. I do have a soft spot for good ol' southern style fried chicken - and since I have only gotten 2 of available candidates (KFC and Popeyes) - so my vote goes to Popeyes. I do remember having my first KFC in South Korea back in early-mid 80s (IIRC) - it was a heavenly experience - but the KFCs in US or at least over the years have been consistently disappointing. Popeyes - although it's a hit and miss in many times - have gave me much better experience.

Bonchons has good fried chicken to your point. I recently discovered Publix does as well.

Best biscuits? Biscuitville. I'm not a lover of biscuits but ... you walk in that place and you see them making those fresh biscuits and you know you're in the right spot.

Of the chains listed, Bojangles. Best chicken, best biscuits,best dirty rice, best tea.

Popeyes chicken is close but too breaded. Their dirty rice is also not nearly as good.

I don't trust Church's because I don't trust chains that only open in the bad part of town.

KFC was excellent in Kentucky. Anywhere else it's garbage tier. I think a lab proved whatever Colonel Sanders may have put in it, these days those herbs and spices are salt, pepper, sugar, and MSG. I think they might still serve it the way the colonel intended in Kentucky.

Popeyes hands down. But I have not had Bojangles, so my vote is watered down. Honestly though, you can't go wrong with any of them. Even kfc has good sandwiches and bowls.

Also, raising Cain's would be great if their sauce wasn't trash.

lil puff

Bonchons has good fried chicken to your point. I recently discovered Publix does as well.

Best biscuits? Biscuitville. I'm not a lover of biscuits but ... you walk in that place and you see them making those fresh biscuits and you know you're in the right spot.

Of the chains listed, Bojangles. Best chicken, best biscuits,best dirty rice, best tea.

Popeyes chicken is close but too breaded. Their dirty rice is also not nearly as good.

I don't trust Church's because I don't trust chains that only open in the bad part of town.

KFC was excellent in Kentucky. Anywhere else it's garbage tier. I think a lab proved whatever Colonel Sanders may have put in it, these days those herbs and spices are salt, pepper, sugar, and MSG. I think they might still serve it the way the colonel intended in Kentucky.
This is an all over great post. Biscuitville?

Churches are going to be a distant memory soon, they are closing down all over.

FStubbs

Biscuitville. They're in North Carolina and some rural parts of Va.

I forgot to mention Lee's Chicken. Lee's chicken is some top tier stuff along and as far as chains go they crush everyone with potato wedges.

Golden Skillet was great years ago but I think only a handful of that super greasy chicken is left.

I've been wracking my brain to try to remember if there was ever a Churches in my town and if I ever tried them.

I feel like it's possible there was once but if there was it's been gone for a long time.

appaws

Banned
Raising Cane's is great, but it does not fit the spirit of the thread because it is just a tender place and not a real chicken pieces place.

Popeyes is still the best, with the spicy chicken and the best fast food side dish ever conceived, the red beans and rice.

Raising Cane's is great, but it does not fit the spirit of the thread because it is just a tender place and not a real chicken pieces place.

Popeyes is still the best, with the spicy chicken and the best fast food side dish ever conceived, the red beans and rice.

Cane’s isn’t “fast food fried chicken?”

I mean just going off thread title.....

Does Chick-Fil-A still count? That’s my runner up

Last edited:

Shifty

I live in a place that only has KFC as a nationwide chain, so I guess KFC...

Though there's a scummy-looking local takeout called Slix that secretly does really good fried chicken if you can get past the first impression.

Didn't think it would be so lopsided to Popeyes, especially since I think there's more KFC's internationally than Popeyes and GAF having a decent presence outside the US.

Popeyes is good though. Best fries.

zenspider

I could tell this was an AR joint by rhe fact Chik-Fil-A wasn't listed.

Not a big chicken eater, but according to my southern brothers, the correct answer is Zaxby's.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
voted Bojangles cos that's the last one here i've eaten at and it was pretty good.

Arby's has some amazing chicken tenders tho, the best in the game. i'd rate Zaxby's probably second as far as consistency.

Last edited:
I kind of agree. Nothing beats holding onto bone, biting down and feeling the crack of crispy skin, sinking your teeth into the flesh, then tearing it off like a savage. Besides I still haven't forgiven Chick-fil-a for retiring their chicken salad sandwich.

brap

Banned
The boneless vs. bone-in discussion could be a thread of its own.

For me it’s a mood thing, just depends on the moment.
That's not even a thing. """""""""""""""""""""""""""""Boneless""""""""""""""""""""""" is just differently shaped chicken nuggets.

Now I’m lost.

There’s no difference between boneless and bone-in chicken? Boneless vs bone-in is absolutely a discussion I’ve had with friends in the past. It is “a thing.”

Dark Star

Popeyes + seasoned fries or Raising Cane's Box Combo (extra fries instead of coleslaw)

i'm more of a wing person tho, would rather eat a whole bunch of hot wings and sauce any day

appaws

Banned
Cane’s isn’t “fast food fried chicken?”

I mean just going off thread title.....

Does Chick-Fil-A still count? That’s my runner up

I would say no, Chick-Fil-A does not count. All of the choices in the poll were places with whole chicken pieces. The "Chicken Tender" places are excellent in their own right, but that is a different category. We could have a separate poll with Raising Cane's vs. Zaxby's vs. whatever else. Chick-Fil-A might be a whole different category from that since they are focused on sangwiches.

Susurrus

Popeyes > KFC > Church's

Never heard of Bojangles so I looked it up and it seems very regional and not anywhere I've lived (Dallas, Boise, Anchorage, much less abroad).

Also since I have been abroad for most of a decade, I haven't had much chance to try Church's since about late 00s (though I did see one on vacation a couple years go in Dubai renamed Texas Chicken, but didn't try it). I didn't much care for Church's in Anchorage.

My KFC experience has been German KFC and my Popeyes experience has been on a military base in Germany. I can generally go for both, but KFC's spicy is super mild so I lean towards Popeye's.

Favorite fried chicken joints are the many Chicken & Beer places spread across South Korea.

I also do get Chik-fil-A when I visit the US, albeit usually at an airport during a layover.

Top Bottom