• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When did KFC get so terrible? What's the best fast food place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had popeyes a few days ago, its one of my guilty pleasures. I get it maybe once or twice every year. I don't think I can eat fried chicken every week tho, it's too greasy and gross.

This thread is making me hungry :/

The only reason I want to go KFC, the nearest is in Worcester Park, would either be to try out the Ore Crushem(???) and possibly have my dentist leap out of the bushes and rage at me for having something so sugary...or to try that chizza thing if it ever comes over here.

Fuck. I do love chicken.

Krowley

In all my years of eating fast food, I don't think I've ever had a really bad mcdonalds. Whereas I've had a bad meal at most other places.

Yep. Totally agree. This is why I still love MacDonald's.

I've been eating their stuff all my life, and every year, regardless of the location, it never changes. Totally consistent. It's not the best food in the world, but I enjoy it anyway.

oni_saru

For chicken, there is no other for me, Raising Cane's.

Chicken-Fingers-Beaumont-Tx.jpg
I don't like the fries and cole slaw in this. The rest is god tier food *p*

Azriell

There are 3 KFCs around me, one of them is alright. The quality vs price is not there for me, but I'll get a $5 box every once in a while just to change things up. I agree that Popeye's is better, but tbh Publix fried chicken blows them both out of the water.

Can't say. The last time I had KFC was in Bangkok. "The Box" once (spicy as hell), and rice with veggies and chicken another time. Quite good.

Never tried the national KFC.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I think KFC was always kinda mediocre but we just started having more access to better fried chicken across the board.

I vaguely remember during the 80s and early 90s that KFC was generally the only game in town.

Kenai

I liked KFC Nashville hot chicken but haven't cared for much else of theirs. BK is hit or miss too though I loved their Angry Whopper very much.

For consistent places that are also common there's Rally/Checker's, Chik Fila, and Hardees/Carls Jr around here. There's also some slightly rarer chains that are good. I love Penn Station, Jersey Mikes and Firehouse subs and they are all a 5-10 min drive away, but I don't see them too much when I go out of town. Hoping there's at least one good sub place in the King of Prussia area when I move out there.

Speaking of, shout out to Shake Shack in the mall there. It was a bit pricey but that Salted Caramel shake was the best one I have EVER had.

I would say I like KFC better than Popeye's, but that wouldn't be fair since I've tried Popeye's like twice, which was years ago, and didn't really like it. Maybe I should give it another shot.

But I will say this, I just don't get Chick-Fil-A's appeal. Sure it has great service, but the food itself isn't anything special. Don't get me wrong, it's good but not god tier like a lot of people make it out to be.

Plum

I've always liked KFC but apart from the few kebab shops near me which are nowhere close to the same quality I've never really found any fried chicken places I really love going to.

EDIT: Although their 9 piece bucket for £6 deal they do once a year is a bloody good deal. That with some Supermarket curly fries easily lasts me two meals.

don't get Chick-Fil-A's appeal. Sure it has great service, but the food itself isn't anything special. Don't get me wrong, it's good but not god tier like a lot of people make it out to be.
Their sweet tea is though. The waffle fries are a nice change up and I like that they have soup and other off beaten items. But sandwiches are nothing special.

Cepheus

Actually, disregard what I said. KFC isn't all bad. The popcorn chicken is great. Also, KFC in Jamaica does Kentucky Fried Fish which is amazing in itself.

Their sweet tea is though. The waffle fries are a nice change up and I like that they have soup and other off beaten items. But sandwhiches are nothing special.

Had to back and edit what I said, d'oh!

But yeah next time I got I'll get the sweet tea then.

And I've seen Five Guys mentioned a lot, so I'll ask: my town just got one a couple of years ago and I've yet to go, what do you guys recommend a first-timer getting?

Best Fast food Joints?

Culvers sits at the top of my list

Halo Burger is damn good but might be specific to my region

Wendys is acceptable but quality varies wildly by franchise

Im not sure other outlet mall type food places count but if we are gonna include burrito places like chimpotle and such then the list gets very broad

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
God Tier
- Whataburger

Good Tier
- McDonalds (fuck you its good)
- Wendys
- Taco Bell
- Burger King
- Subway
- Sonic
- Weinerschnitzel
- Church's Chicken (fuck you its good)

Good but Pricy Tier
- Arbys
- Chipotle
- Five Guys
- Chik fil A

KFC is bottom of the barrel tier. Just awful.

singhr1

Chick-fil-a rarely disappoints me

I'm still a sucker for Taco Bell, even when it's terrible I still enjoy it

I was never really into Five Guys

Moe's > Chipotle

I'm Mexican-American but i still really like Taco Bell. It's not the best, sure, but it's still damn tasty.

Chipotle is the one I don't like or can't stand. Driest fucking burritos I've ever tried. I'd rather go to a greasy-ass taco truck for a burrito, which I do.

I have to assume you just got a bad experience. If KFC was like that more often than not, they probably wouldn't be in business.

sonicfan

Venerable Member
I don't like the fries and cole slaw in this. The rest is god tier food *p*

I don't normally get the slaw, but I like their fries.

It sounds corny, but I love the chicken because it reminds me of fried chicken I had as a kid, literally like Mom used to make.

I honestly don't get how anyone can like popeyes and say kfc isn't good. Popeyes is just so blah. Would rather go to walmart and go to there deli and get chicken from there.

But good fast good out of the major chains is Wendy's.

In the US KFC has been mostly terrible and incredibly over priced for decades at this point. When it comes to fried chicken I get better at my local grocer's deli for like half the price.

KFCs in my town are alright. It's always hit or miss. I hate the leg and thigh pieces. The skin is always really soft like they nuked it in a microwave. Strips and popcorn chicken are still good though.

I prefer going to Wendy's and A&W. Always good there.

Manzanas

Neo Member
Spicy chicken sandwich from Chick-fil-a is the best.
I crave it the most on Sunday's because my brain hates me.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It feelsike the Australian arm of these fast food chains are the only ones maintaining a standard.

KFC and McDonalds in Australia are both amazing 9/10 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom