• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When did KFC get so terrible? What's the best fast food place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
KFC in Canada started losing it when the gravy recipe changed for the worse in the mid/late 2000s

Also shout outs to those cheesecake cups that they had in the 90s

This was my last KFC experience as well. Thank god for my local Chick-fil-A and Popeye's, didn't even know the latter existed in my area till my gf spotted it one day driving around. After all the Gaf hype had to see what the fuss was about. Those waffle tenders are fucking godly. If you have either of those in your area OP, especially Popeye's, make it a point to stop by.

You would think people in these threads would eventually realize that getting cold/soggy food is more a sign their local franchise is bad and not that brand as a whole.

They really fucked up getting rid of the double down, I went there all the time when they had that, they got rid of it a couple of years ago and I've eaten there maybe a half dozen times since. Nothing else they have is all that great.

Accoun

It feelsike the Australian arm of these fast food chains are the only ones maintaining a standard.

KFC and McDonalds in Australia are both amazing 9/10 times.

Would say that here in Poland KFC is still pretty good. But then again, I only eat there once or twice a year and only eat Twisters. McDonalds I only eat on the road if I go on vacation, since there often are some by the highway.

Sadly, there are no "supposedly better" fast food chains like Chick-fil-A and Popeye's here. Still would take KFC over McD and BK.

Nielm

KFC is still pretty good in the UK, although I usually only have popcorn chicken.

Five Guys is the best. Five Guys > McDonald's > KFC > Burger King.

For chicken, there is no other for me, Raising Cane's.

Chicken-Fingers-Beaumont-Tx.jpg

Yup.

Cane's, Chick-Fil-A, Mooyah, Popeyes and Five Guys

Chris1

Burger King

All we really have is BK, McD and KFC in the UK. And Five Guys which is recent, but that's way too expensive but I've heard good stuff about it

New002

For chicken, there is no other for me, Raising Cane's.

Chicken-Fingers-Beaumont-Tx.jpg

Raising Cane's ranks low on my chicken tenders list. I was hyped to try it and was unfortunately unimpressed. It's okay, and I still like to get it when I'm in Columbus because I don't have any near me, but if I lived near one I wouldn't prioritize it over other options.

As for KFC...Nashville Hot chicken is all you need OP. Feel free to disregard the rest of the menu except for maybe the Georgia Gold chicken :)

pswii60

If you think KFC is bad in the UK, it's fucking ten times worse in the States. Greasy as fuck (you could bathe in it), chicken like rubber, and you get part-cooked wedges instead of fries, and some stupid foul thing called a 'biscuit' which isn't a biscuit, it's a disgusting salty scone with no fruit.

If you want chicken go to Nando's.

Yep, I have 3 different KFCs near me and they're all garbage. Original recipe is nothing but grease, extra crispy is dry, sides are awful and it's a shame because that used to be the best thing to me about KFC. Potato wedges are greasy and soggy, gravy is too watery, mashed potatoes are bland, biscuits are over baked and dry. It's just a clusterfuck here in the States. Why can't they get their shit together like they have in Australia, Asia, etc.?

Popeyes absolutely stomps them in every way.

Ultratech

Let's see...in my area, I tend to rank places as such:

Chick-fil-a: Top Tier; Great food, never been disappointed.
Whataburger: Pretty good.
Popeye's: Good chicken, but the one near me tends to be quite expensive when they're not running specials.
Dairy Queen: Wildly hit-or-miss depending on the area; the good ones are goddamn fantastic though.
Wendy's: Good.

Raising Cane's: It's alright; but it's kinda expensive.
Burger King: I love their fat fries.
Sonic
McDonalds
KFC: The ones near me aren't really that great the few times I've been to them.

Goldboy

I too noticed that KFC has gotten terrible lately. Best fast food place would be Carls Jr. maybe? I would say Five Guys but I don't really consider that fast food.

Gotta go with Cook-Out. Unfortunately, it's still only south of the Mason-Dixon line for now, but gotdam if it isn't good.

There are 3 KFCs around me, one of them is alright. The quality vs price is not there for me, but I'll get a $5 box every once in a while just to change things up. I agree that Popeye's is better, but tbh Publix fried chicken blows them both out of the water.

Publix? Never heard of that brand. Might have to take a look, but I'm sure they're a nice, family friendly, all-American-

Publix Super Markets, Inc., commonly known as Publix, is an employee-owned...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publix

Get this commie shit outta here!

ryseing

I was going to say, that looks a lot like Zaxby's.

I do not have either in NYC.

I've never had RC but from what I understand RC is slightly better, but Zaxby's will do in a pinch. I love Zaxby's so I would like to try RC one day.

I'd pity you but you do live in NYC. All the South has going for it is good fried food and college football.

Yeoman

I like KFC's food but here in the UK, for whatever reason, I've never been to a KFC with good hygiene standards. All of them are disgusting.
Contrast that to McDonald's and Burger King which both have pretty good hygiene standards from my experience.
KFC really need to sort their sanitation out, it has actually put me off eating there and I know others that feel the same way.

Thewonandonly

Chik-Fil-A, In-N-Out, Chipotle and Tony's Burgers if you live in Utah.
My man Tony's burger can be good but damn lately they have been ass :( which is a damn shame becuase then they are good there are easily the best fast food place. In-N-Out is numbero Uno when it comes to consistent quality. Sadly I have it to much becuase I drive past it most days coming home from university

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Chik-Fil-A
Chipotle
Raisin Canes
Culver's
Five Guys
in-n-out

All terrific fast food

Also- supposedly KFC in Japan is awesome but I have yet to sacrifice a meal there to verify

wowzors

KFC in America is disgusting, had it in UK about 6 years ago and it was pretty good. Had it in Japan 3 years ago for Christmas and it was really good.

Hyoukokun

Gotta go with Cook-Out. Unfortunately, it's still only south of the Mason-Dixon line for now, but gotdam if it isn't good.

I would argue that Cook-Out's quality is only passable (from the few times I've been there; I live up north), but it is solid value-for-money. Zaxby's is tasty for fried chicken.

For burgers, I lean Five Guys, or Shake Shack if they're available.

Can't think of a ton of other chains that stand out in my mind. I like Chipotle but have stopped going there as the local one has had multiple health scares (and there are better non-chain Mexican options).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom