• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nothing is safe. NAKED GUN reboot incoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/e...un-reboot-for-paramount-exclusive-1200950237/

Detective Frank Drebin is coming back with Ed Helms on board to portray Leslie Nielsen’s character in Paramount’s reboot of “The Naked Gun” comedy franchise.

The studio has tapped the scripting team of Thomas Lennon and R. Ben Garant — best known for the “Night at the Museum” and “Reno 911″ franchises, to write the screenplay as a new spin on the Drebin character.

Helms starred in “The Hangover” trilogy and “We’re the Millers” and recently recently wrapped “Stretch” opposite Chris Pine and Patrick Wilson. He stars in the romcom parody “They Came Together,” which will premiere at Sundance, opposite Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler.

What's most hilarious is that this news comes just two weeks after 'What popular film series will not be revamped, rebooted, sequelized or prequelized?' thread:

Naked Gun

They can never do more Naked Guns.

The Naked Gun suggestions got me thinking that yeah, probably a lot of comedies are safe/immune from sequels or rebooting. It's easy to hire a writer to re-hash the plot of an old action movie, but comedies are so much more reliant on acting and quality writing that it's difficult to re-create what made the original so great. Plus comedies tend to be somewhat dated or stuck in their own era. The value of their "brand" doesn't really translate as a result. There doesn't seem to be much point in making a new Police Academy or Porky's or American Pie. The story of the original films are so non-unique and indistinct that they can be translated into a new property pretty easily, and there is little to be gained by tying them to old films.

I guess there have been attempts at comedy reboots, sequels, and prequels (Dumb and Dumberer, Son of the Mask, The Threee Stooges, straight-to-video American Pie flicks). The responses to those films have been so tepid that I can't imagine anyone is chomping at the bit to do a new version of an old comedy.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I remember hearing about rumors of a new movie while Leslie Nielsen was alive and he would be like a retired mentor toward the new characters. But someone else doing his role? Ugh, no.

The facepalm gif is quite appropriate here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom