• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 09-30•10-02•16 - Burton's Children put out Wahlberg's fire, Masterminds flops

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

VdPZhks.jpg
4qLzvq6.jpg
6xHVKkD.jpg
1ToiZKl.jpg
p4VwHJF.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
64% Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
9wcOG.gif
82% Deepwater Horizon
kavuF.gif
62% The Magnificent Seven (2016)
8vteV.gif
62% Storks
0hJB1.gif
82% Sully
aAS8X.gif
32% Masterminds (2016)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
n/a M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Miss Peregrine’ Tops With $28.5 Million, ‘Deepwater Horizon,’ ‘Masterminds’ Bomb

Tim Burton’s “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children” topped a feeble crop of new releases to pick up first place at the weekend box office, opening to $28.5 million

That’s a mediocre start given the fantasy film’s $110 million budget. It means that the adaptation of Ransom Riggs’ best-selling young adult novel will have to do well overseas if it wants to make money and inspire a sequel. Burton is responsible for blockbusters such as “Batman” and “Planet of the Apes,” but his commercial touch has been spotty of late. He hasn’t had a major hit since 2010’s “Alice in Wonderland,” with audiences rejecting the likes of “Dark Shadows,” “Frankenweenie,” and “Big Eyes.”

“Miss Peregrine’s” is in a better position than “Deep Water Horizon,” after the expensive adventure drama from the “Lone Star” team of Mark Wahlberg and Peter Berg collapsed with a $20.6 million opening. The look at the men and women who were forced to grapple with one of the worst oil spills in history cost roughly $120 million to produce after incentives are taken into account.

Critics liked the film, handing it an 82% “fresh” rating on Rotten Tomatoes. However, the strong reviews didn’t translate into ticket sales. Lionsgate, the studio behind the film, has had a rough period at the box office. It is struggling to find a replacement for “The Hunger Games,” the hugely successful young adult series that concluded last year, and has seen the likes of “Gods of Egypt,” “Blair Witch,” and “The Divergent Series: Allegiant,” falter at the multiplexes. At the same time, the company’s share price has dropped more than 50% since last fall. Lionsgate’s movie arm hopes to regain its stride with the upcoming release of “La La Land,” an acclaimed musical with Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, and “Hacksaw Ridge,” a war drama from Mel Gibson.

Then there’s “Masterminds.” The heist-comedy about a hapless band of robbers was originally scheduled to be released last year, but found itself entangled in Relativity Media’s bankruptcy proceedings. Freshly emerged from Chapter 11, Relativity had hoped that its release would signal to Hollywood that the studio has put its financial troubles behind it. Yet, “Masterminds” eked out a feeble $6.6 million, a disastrous result for the mid-budget comedy. At one point during its bankruptcy proceedings, Relativity predicted that “Masterminds” would generate $125.4 million in revenues for the studio over its lifetime and $47.1 million in profit. Those projections now look very rosy.

Disney’s “Queen of Katwe” also bombed in its expansion. The drama about a chess prodigy from Uganda only managed to generate roughly $2.6 million after moving from 52 to 1,242 screens. It has made a disappointing $3 million since it opened. Disney is primarily in the blockbuster business, offering up Marvel adventures, “Star Wars” sequels and spin-offs, and the latest Pixar fantasies. It has, however, tried to do a series of uplifting, lower-budgeted dramas such as “Million Dollar Arm” and “McFarland, USA,” with middling results.

Last weekend’s champion, “The Magnificent Seven,” slid to third place, earning $15.7 million. The Western remake with Denzel Washington has racked up $61.6 million in its first two weeks of release.

The animated comedy “Storks” and Clint Eastwood’s “Sully,” took fourth and fifth place, earning $13.8 million and $8.4 million, respectively. “Storks” has made $38.8 million in its first two weeks in theaters, while “Sully” has racked up an impressive $105.4 million over its first month of release.

In limited release, Bleecker Street’s “Denial,” a drama about a Holocaust denier, debuted to $102,101 on five theaters for a $20,420 per-screen average. A24 also bowed “American Honey,” a buzzy look at a mag crew that took Cannes by storm, in four theaters where it made $75,370 for a per-screen average of $18,843.

More to come…

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

That article is stupid, Disney's done low-budget dramas like that for fucking forever

The BO on them might not matter as much as having them for diversifying their catalogue/offerings

That article is stupid, Disney's done low-budget dramas like that for fucking forever

The BO on them might not matter as much as having them for diversifying their catalogue/offerings

The issue is that the per screen average took a nose dive when it went wide. It wasn't that high of an average to begin with, especially for a limited release. Then it dropped even more.

Wow, really surprised Masterminds didn't do well. It really didn't look good, to be honest, but I figured the names involved would carry it. Guess not.

jett

D-Member
The issue is that the per screen average took a nose dive when it went wide. It wasn't that high of an average to begin with, especially for a limited release. Then it dropped even more.

Personally I didn't even know about this movie until a few days ago. I guess Disney was hoping for miraculous word of mouth, if they had any hopes at all.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Happy for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children!

Meh hold for Magnificent 7, will it reach $90M, not sure.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Secret Life of Pets - $834M
Finding Dory - $985M
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - $65M
Deepwater Horizon - $33M
Storks - $78M
Magnificent Seven - $108M
Sully - $151M
Bridget Jones' Baby - $121M (82.6% overseas)
Ben Hur - $89M

Dory had a pretty good opening in Germany. $1B is no longer in doubt. I still think it misses Zootopia though.

Will have to wait for overseas markets for Miss peregrines and Deepwater but I doubt either of them will end up being profitable.

Will have to wait for overseas markets for Miss peregrines and Deepwater but I doubt either of them will end up being profitable.

The Saturday afternoon screening of miss peregrin i saw in the UK was pretty busy, will imagine it should do solid (but not spectacular) numbers here

Schlorgan

I made a thread for Queen of Katwe reviews, but it died pretty quick.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1286333&page=100000

It had a $15 million budget so Disney probably won't lose too much on it.

Paramount is really hoping/pushing for Star Trek Beyond to do well on the video release: it's releasing digitally a month in advance, the first movie I can recall that has done that (digital release in a couple of days, physical release November 1st).

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Opening its doors in 59 markets day-and-date with North America, Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children recorded an estimated $36.5m overseas bow.

South Korea led the way with a $5.2m debut, followed by the UK ($4.6m), Mexico ($3.8m), Australia ($3.1m) and the Philippines ($1.7m), the latter marking Tim Burton’s best-ever opening in the market.

The film lands in 20 markets next weekend, including France, Russia, Germany and India.

In its third weekend of overseas release, Bridget Jones’s Baby delivered a further estimated $19m from its 50 territories for $99.9m to date.

Opening in six new markets, The Magnificent Seven shot to an additional $14.8m from its 68 markets for $46.5m.

Finding Dory is now the fifth highest grossing animation of all time worldwide with $985.2m.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/mis...INTERNATIONAL-BOX-OFFICE-NEWS&contentID=40079

I made a thread for Queen of Katwe reviews, but it died pretty quick.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1286333&page=100000

It had a $15 million budget so Disney probably won't lose too much on it.

Paramount is really hoping/pushing for Star Trek Beyond to do well on the video release: it's releasing digitally a month in advance, the first movie I can recall that has done that (digital release in a couple of days, physical release November 1st).

I didn't know this. I have a copy pre-ordered from Wal-Mart, a special edition with some ship models, for my Grandpa and got an Instant Watch code in my Vudu. That's cool, we can watch it sooner.

Schlorgan

I didn't know this. I have a copy pre-ordered from Wal-Mart, a special edition with some ship models, for my Grandpa and got an Instant Watch code in my Vudu. That's cool, we can watch it sooner.

I preordered the Amazon Special Edition; I didn't get an Instant Watch code, but I can see that just being a Wal-Mart thing. I might just buy the digital version and give my code to someone else when I get my physical copy.

I preordered the Amazon Special Edition; I didn't get an Instant Watch code, but I can see that just being a Wal-Mart thing. I might just buy the digital version and give my code to someone else when I get my physical copy.

Yeah, I think it's only a Wal-Mart thing. I only see it on Wal-Mart stuff anyway. I wonder if I'll get a code packaged in, too? Never pre-ordered from them before.

Not too surprising about Deepwater Horizon; the trailer response was the strangest thing I've seen in a while. People were legit chuckling whenever it played.

I'll probably check out Masterminds simply because I like the talent involved, but I'm prepared for it to be a letdown. I honestly have no idea how Jared Hess keeps getting directing roles, given that his only successful film was Napoleon Dynamite.

Ridley327

Eva Green needs to fire her agent. She can do so much better than has-been Burton.
She's apparently a real geeky gal that loves working on quirky properties, and for how stale and derivative he's been, Burton is one of the only guys out there doing stuff like that.

I'm surprised Masterminds flopped, not because of how good it looked (it looks bad, stupid, etc.), but because the general public tends to love those types of movies/those actors.

Sanjuro

I'm surprised Masterminds flopped, not because of how good it looked (it looks bad, stupid, etc.), but because the general public tends to love those types of movies/those actors.

Seemed like the perfect mixture to fail at the box office. Poor ad campaign, bunch of actors dressing silly, no hook. Ensemble comedies usually don't translate very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom