• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liam Neeson Wanted For New “Naked Gun”?

bitbydeath

It’ll be incredibly hard (pretty much impossible) to top Leslie Nielsen’s performance as Frank Drebin but I’d be interested in seeing this.

Liam Neeson revealed that he has “been approached by Seth MacFarlane and Paramount Studios to maybe resurrect the Naked Gun films.” He then says such a movie will: “either finish my career or bring it in another direction. I honestly don’t know”.
MacFarlane has also said in the past he would love to get Neeson for a “Naked Gun”-style comedy saying Neeson is: “so good at playing against the comedy and therefore he’s hilarious. He just really knows what he’s doing.”

ManaByte

Seth McFarlane...naked gun.
Gene Wilder Reaction GIF

Arkam

Why? I know we ask this a lot, but here I am truly amazed. Recently I tried to get my wife to watch the original (cuz she loves Airplane) and she put up a huge fight. Why? Cuz she had never heard of it and had no idea what type of film it was. And she is your target "mainstream" audience.

This gives me Inspector Gadget bad vibes....

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Why? I know we ask this a lot, but here I am truly amazed. Recently I tried to get my wife to watch the original (cuz she loves Airplane) and she put up a huge fight. Why? Cuz she had never heard of it and had no idea what type of film it was. And she is your target "mainstream" audience.

Comedies are pretty cheap to make, and despite your anecdote of one human not knowing what Naked Gun is, it was a pretty popular film series.

I still hear references pretty often from anyone who was an 80s kid.

Beyond that; it's not like this will be a direct sequel requiring knowledge of the other films lol, it'll be a silly comedy, probably direct to streaming at this point.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
The headline made me go all oh god o dear god why, but hmm. Seth macfarlane tends to make me laugh. I like his stuff.

But naked gun is leslie nielsen, so leave it the fuck alone.

crozier

After admitting that he laid in wait to kill a random black guy, after his friend was raped by a black guy, I’m surprised people gave him a free pass and that he’s still able to find work.

ManaByte

This will only work if they can bring back OJ and have Nordberg be accused of murder and it turns out he really did it.

Vestal

Gold Member
According to Hollywood folk lore it’s quiet possible Liam will be able to fill one of those human sized condoms from the first.
Hell Kevin Smith has a whole segment on his podcast with Ralph Garman devoted to the audacity of Liam Neesons cock.

EekTheKat

I think this is spot on if Seth can get him. Leslie Nielsen was a serious actor before his turn into comedy, and Liam could be pretty damn funny if given the right material.

What made the movies and show hilarious was Nielsen playing it serious and straight faced, and I think Neeson can pull that off easily.

Nielsen's comedy career only dropped off once they paired him with writers and directors that had no idea how to use him.

The rest of the cast will make or break it though - I'd go straight serious supporting cast and keep the comedian casting/cameos to a minimum or none at all. Let the clever writing and absurd scenarios do most of the work.

UncleMeat

I worship Leslie Nielsen and generally hate shitty lazy remakes but I would give this a chance. I think Liam has the seriousness to pull it off. I'd love to hear him pop off some of those classic Naked Gun one liners like, "like a midget at a urinal, I was gonna have to stay on my toes."

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Doesn’t sound very healthy, dude.

Liam Neeson doing this would be... interesting. It’s the script I don’t have much faith in, these days. Comedy is hard enough when you’re given free rein, imagine doing those movies today.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I'll watch anything with Liam Neeson in it, so I'm fine with this.

liam neeson chloe GIF

It is very rare for me not to enjoy a movie with him in it. He carries himself extremely well, and has a good screen presence.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Liam Neeson for Naked Gun:

WND6AuK.jpg

From Seth MacFarlane:

No Way Abandon Thread GIF
I can see Set doing this as his actually has written some funny (and off color stuff), but Liam is dry, boring and doesn't seem to have the comedic chops (verbally and the physical comedy).

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
That’s exactly what made Leslie’s comedy so popular.

Comedy just happens around him and in his lines while he just plays it all serious.

I don't think anybody would be able to top Leslie honestly, his timing was off the charts. I still think Neeson would do a solid job. Haven't seen him do comedy, but I think it'd be interesting.

Soltype

F-e9kj.gif

Top Bottom