• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA fighter Kimbo Slice hospitalized, "dire situation" UPDATE: He has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Despite it all, I never not enjoyed Kimbo trash talking. The build to Bellator 149 was all kinds of hype. RIP Kimbo.

Mr_Moogle

I just remember watching him beat some guy up in a parking lot on youtube and thinking to myself "This guy would ruin me".

Milennia

His home in coral springs was always literally blocks from mine when i lived there

RIP loved his backyard fights as a kid

Syder

James Thompson?

That was his ear, not his eye.
Nope. In one of those viral street fight videos from like 10 years ago he trashed a guy in seconds and at the end of the fight you can see that his eye is destroyed, like unrecoverable, and in an AMA on reddit Kimbo said the dude refused to go to hospital for some reason, probably pride or something.

Shocking death. One has to wonder whether the steroids he took over the course of his career contributed to his alleged heart attack. Rest in peace.

When Dec 31 2016 arrives can someone on gaf created a "RIP 2016 its your turn motherfucker, burn in hell" Mega OT new years eve thread? So we can all in our own way bid farewell to such a fucked up year.

2017 will be the same. The tidal wave of stars and celebrities since the explosive adoption of the Internet and those from the 70's/80's onwards who could use radio, television and the Internet to their full advantage in gaining fame are an aging crowd... Many of whom suffer from depression, medical conditions or ongoing drug problems. It's not the years fault, as many like to say it is, it's just the times.

This guy was all marketing and hype, but what the fuck. This year has been super weird.

I know this sounds bad but I'll remember him for his last fight against that guy (sorry i dont remember the other guy). It was the worst fight I've ever seen, but it was glorious in the cringiest way.

Szu

He was entertaining at his peak.

His sweet slam on Houston Alexander is highlight reel material.

2irkwf7.gif

NaiveBelovedAmoeba.gif

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I wonder if he still has the most watched MMA fight in history. I know his fight on TUF was at one point.

klonere

Banned
I wonder if he still has the most watched MMA fight in history. I know his fight on TUF was at one point.

I think the most watched fight in MMA history is Sapp/Akebono drawing 54 million viewers in Japan. I think Kimbo hit 7 million or something along those lines for EliteXC.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/11/28/9806740/rizin-signs-sapp-vs-akebono-rematch-for-its-debut

Still Kimbo was a legit phenom in fighting for sure but put his body through absolute hell for it.

Ultima_5

Man tons of celebs have died this year. I'm not familiar with this one, but wasn't there a thread where someone's dad looked like kimbo slice? Rip

Kimbo's street brawl videos were a staple of my late middle school years. I followed his trajectory for a while.

Dude was a beast, but he always came across like a chill dude who wanted nothing but to help his kids.

Harmen

What a young age to die at, RIP.

Who knows... 2017 might follow the trend

Unfortunately, I feel many of the 70's legends (musicians, actors, writers, etc.) have passed the risk age of 65. And after that, the 80's stars reach that age. I would gladly be wrong, but part of 2016's deaths is the harsh reality of ageing and certain (celeb) lifestyles (smoking, drinking, drugs). And in the era of modern media, we are all aware of the many pop icons from back in the days (many of whom are still big in name). So to be honest I would not be surprised if 2017 just keeps on going with the trend in terms of the older celebrities.

E92 M3

Let me guess. When you get punched for a living you die earlier. Unfortunate, but this shouldn't be a surprise.

That's not how it works. You have absolutely zero idea about what caused the heart failure - and there are numerous causes that are not related to fighting.

Very ignorant comment.

DJChuy

Didn't really like Kimbo at first, but seeing him on The Ultimate Fighter changed my perspective on him. Great guy. RIP

mekes

Damn, what a shame. I paused when I saw the news link on my facebook side bar. I'd seen him well before he entered TUF many years back and was quite surprised to see just how gentle and warm a person he was. It really wasn't what I was expecting to see after seeing so many of those YouTube videos he'd become famous for. I was a fan, he did great in MMA considering the little training he'd had. A good guy. RIP.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Kimbo Slice had the public perception that he was a really mean dude, in reality though it seems like it was a A+ human. Here's video of him training MMA with his his autistic son. His son always came with him to the gym during training camps.

Fuck. Couldn't help but to get a little choked up. Hate to see a dude die this early, but especially a dude with 7 young kids.

And kid's name is Kevlar. That's gangster.

DirtyLarry

In what is all too frequent these days, if I respected their hustle while they were alive, I honor them the only way I know how...
RIP Kimbo Slice ILLustration done on an iPad Pro using Adobe Illustrator Draw with an Apple Pencil
CpSb.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom