• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could UFC champion Ronda Rousey be competitive against male fighters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Could she beat a guy in her same weight class off the street with no MMA training? Yes. Could she beat a guy in her same weight class in the UFC? Not a chance.

well lets just go by the math and the numbers.

I mean, you know, some people like to believe all humans are created equal, but you look at Ronda and you look at Floyd, and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one-on-one with another fighter in the UFC, you got a 50-50 chance of winning. But Ronda Rousey has shown to be a genetic freak, and shes not normal, so you got a 25% at best at beating her. And then you add Floyd's grappling inexperience to the mix? His chances of winning drastic go down.

See in an mma fight, in the UFC, Floyd has got a 33 1/3 chance of winning. But Ronda, she got a 66 2/3 chance of winning, cause Floyd KNOWS he can’t grapple her, and he’s not even gonna try. So take Floyd's 33 1/3 chance, minus his disadvantage of knees and kicks and he's got an 8 1/3 chance of winning in the UFC. But then you take Ronda's 75 perchance chance at winning if it was 1 on 1 with a normal fighter, and add 66 2/3 percents, She's got a 141 2/3 chance of winning in a UFC fight.

See, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for Floyd.

02inuOo.gif

so again, Ronda takes down Mayweather and through the magic of grappling Floyd Mayweather forgets how to punch and doesn't just wail on Ronda's ribs, backs, stomach, legs, or face and she automatically wins right?

If you assume a takedown, punching is generally out of the equation unless you're on the dominant position. Range of motion and all.

Skinpop

That's not true at all. If we look at modern day MMA - the fights are heavily biased towards stand up and striking. Most top ranked fighters are winning fights mainly because of their striking ability; guys like Anderson Silva, Jon Jones and Cain Velasquez. Jon Jones' may have a background in wrestling, but he is mainly winning fights because of striking - he has far more knock outs than submissions.
so you are just going to disregard that all those fighters are very competent at grappling? It's because those skills cancel out that good striking becomes an advantage.

If Floyd fought Ronda in the UFC it wouldn't be under short notice. Floyd has enough money to bring in the very best wrestling, jits and striking coaches to get him ready for the fight. There is absolutely no possibility of Ronda ever winning.
so how much preparation do you give him? half a year, one year, two years? The premise is that they fight "now", it doesn't make any sense to give him extended preparation time because that invalidates the comparison.

so again, Ronda takes down Mayweather and through the magic of grappling Floyd Mayweather forgets how to punch and doesn't just wail on Ronda's ribs, backs, stomach, legs, or face and she automatically wins right?
in your mind, how exactly does those magical punches happen? do you think she is going to stand and trade with him?

Takuan

A lot of smaller boxers and MMA fighters have proven that a lighter, faster person can kick the shit out of a bigger one.

So I don't see why not.

Well, she wouldn't be faster than the competition. Hell, she isn't as fast as plenty of male 155'ers.

1. Not biased at all. I train out of Gracie Barra but I'm not one of those fools who believes that BJJ prevails over all. An elite grappler with rudimentary striking will beat an elite striker with rudimentary grappling 9/10 times though. There are so many inherent strategic and technical advantages to being able to grapple.

2. Slowest? Probably. Worst boxer? Absolutely. Technical ability? Absolutely not. Floyd has trained to fight boxers. Punching is one (important) aspect of fighting but it doesn't paint the whole picture. Being a good boxer doesn't make you a complete fighter.

3. Good footwork is not goodfootwork across the board. I've already made this point. Judo footwork is based on the idea of setting yourself up at specific angles to where you can get your hips underneath your opponent. The methods in which judokas do this are vastly different from boxers. What is good footwork in judo doesn't necessarily translate to good footwork in boxing - and vice versa. What constitutes good footwork and positioning are determined by the rulesets of their respective sports. To illustrate this, I'm going to use two striking arts.

4. Ronda doesn't require a clinch to take someone down. Judo up until 2012 had singles, doubles, ankle picks as a part of their curriculum. Those things are also important in MMA as well. There isn't a single UFC fighter that does not know how to do a single or double leg takedown. Ronda doesn't show it off in fights because she's much better at the clinch and that's where her opponents are the weakest.

So the point of this is to illustrate something. The Muay Thai guy had just enough training in regular kickboxing to recognize the openings whereas the American guy had no prior experience in dealing with lower body kicks to shore up his defenses. This is my point with Ronda Rousey vs Floyd Mayweather. All you the people here who are making claims about how Floyd is going to defend Ronda's attacks don't realize he understand that if never trained vs anyone who actually grapples in his life, you can't just pick it up in the middle of a fight. Ronda has trained enough boxing to recognize that she is going to be outboxed and will switch to a different tactic.

Judo footwork is good for Judo and useless for fighting, but I agree with you in most of your points, still I think a lot of people are really underestimating the speed difference and ability to control or avoid the clinch of Floyd.

y2dvd

Rhonda > Floyd in MMA rules
Floyd > Rhoda in boxing rules
Rhonda > Floyd in a street fight. There's no ref stopping her from breaking your arm off.

Boxers shouldn't even come under this discussion.

Lone Wolf

Rhonda > Floyd in a street fight. There's no ref stopping her from breaking your arm off.

Rhonda would be killed in a street fight

I'm sorry, i don't follow MMA, would guys mind explaining me the reasoning here?

Weight categories are made for fairness, but she is a grown woman, and if she wants to test out her skill or whatever, if she wants to fight, why is anyone else's business? It's not like it has to be an official tournament fight. And what does domestic violence has to do with it?

As for the danger, i get that, but you're always in danger when you get on the ring, and again, no one is forcing anyone, it'd be her choice.

EDIT: For clarity, i was thinking of a "one off" sort of thing, not like inserting her in the male league or anything like that, if that makes any sense.

Because pound for pound men are stronger than women, there is no easier way to put it. Just to put it into perspective, boys in high school varsity can out perform women olympians.

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/index.php/lists

Look at those times and compare and contrast times for high school boys with women world records (spoiler: there are many high school boys faster than the fastest woman in the world), there is no sugar coating it when it comes to numbers. There is a reason why we compete seperately.

Don't get me wrong I would love for there to be a fight like this because it would show just how many people are ignorant to the scientific facts of evolution.

UrbanRats

Because pound for pound men are stronger than women, there is no easier way to put it. Just to put it into perspective, boys in high school varsity can out perform women olympians.

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/index.php/lists

Look at those times and compare and contrast times for high school boys with women world records (spoiler: there are many high school boys faster than the fastest woman in the world), there is no sugar coating it when it comes to numbers. There is a reason why we compete seperately.

Don't get me wrong I would love for there to be a fight like this because it would show just how many people are ignorant to the scientific facts of evolution.
No, that i get.
But i was wondering why not let her do it anyway, in the event that she wanted to try.

However i didn't know there was such controversy following the sport (as explained to me in the previous pages) so now i get why they [likely] wouldn't sanction it anyhow.

Foggy

If in a weird alternate universe she started out in men's bantamweight she'd have enough success to be an $8k(lose)/$16k(win) caliber of fighter or maybe someone like Rani Yahya. Damn this UFC hype machine having people act super crazy.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Why even consider an imaginary scenario where women and men didn't have different musculatures?

Re: your second question, it looks that much better because she's fighting women, absolutely.

He's not punching women in the ring.

Victor Ortiz??

Okay, I kid. Still.. yeah with MMA gloves his shots are going to be considerably more powerful.. and he punches probably harder than any MMA guy his weight... Keep in mind Floyd is and should still be fighting at 147.. probably could make 140.

Still, boxing and mma aren't the same thing. Also, Floyd is athletic as people make him out to be.. he's very good.. but he's no prime RJJ... there's MMA guys who match and exceed his athleticism. He's just extremely gifted in the craft of boxing..

Hellion

Ronda Rousey is fighting a bunch of cans in all honesty. She's like Tito Ortiz was when he spent years easily defeating cans in the UFC. However out of the available talent pool I think girls like Cyborg and Gaby Garcia would give Ronda serious problems. But they're all in different weight classes. Honestly there are very few competitive female MMA fighters. The most athletic females are all playing other sports that get them Olympic medals.

This

There is no way Rousey can win a MMA fight against a professional male fighter. She could kick the shit out of a regular dude but not another trained male fighter. The difference in strength is astronomical. Men are bigger and stronger than woman, this isn't me being a misogynist (for the record I am not and I fully believe in women equality) but its science. Testosterone is a hell of a drug.

If you assume a takedown, punching is generally out of the equation unless you're on the dominant position. Range of motion and all.

in your mind, how exactly does those magical punches happen? do you think she is going to stand and trade with him?

this whole thread is an assumption, so we can't assume that Ronda taking Mayweather down means a full body mount right at the start automatically there's variables in what's available to mayweather even after a takedown.

even with limited range you can build up some damage to make ronda twitch. we don't know her threshold for pain.

I don't think Ronda could hang with the tip top MMA male fighters, but to the lower ranked dudes? She could definitely dismantle some guys.

Tom_Cody

I don't follow UFC at all so I apologize if this is bad question.

Is it universally recognized that she is the best female MMA fight P4P? Or is she just the most marketable?

I see that she has only had 11 fights (11-0 record). In boxing that would make her a prospect (for the most part).

Is it universally recognized that she is the best female MMA fight P4P? Or is she just the most marketable?

I see that she has only had 11 fights (11-0 record). In boxing that would make her a prospect (for the most part).

MMA fighters usually fight far less than boxers. She's also been a main event fighter since probably her first few fights. She's universally recognized as the P4P because nobody else in that particular division can touch her.

Ivieto

Banned
Here is where I come at this question. Ronda is not interested in fighting men, this is something people have built out around here to get a discussion going. She is also, for the most part, not interested in going out looking for fights.

She is the champion, she is at the top of her game, she is completely untouched. For this reason, while she just waits for a challenger to appear, she appears in movies, talk shows, commercials, etc and makes a shit ton of money. Then, she goes back to training camp, beats up the next person in line and repeats it again.

What about men vs women in sports. That question, is more nuanced than I think people give credit. The example people have been throwing around is the William's sisters against the german dude. Few points that probably should be made: it was only one set each, in women's tennis even the top ranked players lose semi-regularly to much lower ranked players, but more importantly is that they had no time to adapt. From what I've read, there was not too much difference in shot power, speed or technique. The most significant difference was the the sisters assumed certain shots were guaranteed winners and would not get into position fast enough, and that the dude was sending shots at angles they had not experienced before. This is due to the fact that in general, men are indeed better athletes than women. I am certain, though, that if the Williams were to play against men in a consistent manner, their timing and game would improve to make them much more competitive against men.

As for whats next for Rousey, the only person I have heard she has offered to fight at any other weight than 135 has been Carano, but that was never agreed to by Dana or UFC. That was just speculation. As it stands now, the only woman that could conceivably give her a fight is Cyborg, to which Ronda has expressed nothing but disdain. For that fight to even be considered Cyborg has to first come down to 135, then we'll see.

What about men vs women in sports. That question, is more nuanced than I think people give credit. The example people have been throwing around is the William's sisters against the german dude. Few points that probably should be made: it was only one set each, in women's tennis even the top ranked players lose semi-regularly to much lower ranked players, but more importantly is that they had no time to adapt. From what I've read, there was not too much difference in shot power, speed or technique. The most significant difference was the the sisters assumed certain shots were guaranteed winners and would not get into position fast enough, and that the dude was sending shots at angles they had not experienced before. This is due to the fact that in general, men are indeed better athletes than women. I am certain, though, that if the Williams were to play against men in a consistent manner, their timing and game would improve to make them much more competitive against men.

When Serena Williams was told about Andy Murray’s desire to face her in an exhibition match, she thought it sounded fun, but wasn’t confident in her chances in a potential battle of the sexes.

“I doubt I’d win a point,” she said.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/serena-williams-andy-murray-how-many-games

Ivieto

Banned

I am not saying she would beat Andy Murray: Gold medalist in the Olympics, multiple time grand slam winner and one of the best tennis players in history. I am saying that given enough time she would not be easily beat by low ranked players like people are gleefully quoting left and right.

Your article also makes it super clear. She developed a game around the fact that her serve is powerful enough to disrupt the rhythm of even the best women players, but playing against men it would certainly not be enough. Had 14 year old Serena Williams played competitively against men, her game would have evolved in a very, very different manner.

Here is where I come at this question. Ronda is not interested in fighting men, this is something people have built out around here to get a discussion going. She is also, for the most part, not interested in going out looking for fights.

She is the champion, she is at the top of her game, she is completely untouched. For this reason, while she just waits for a challenger to appear, she appears in movies, talk shows, commercials, etc and makes a shit ton of money. Then, she goes back to training camp, beats up the next person in line and repeats it again.

As for whats next for Rousey, the only person I have heard she has offered to fight at any other weight than 135 has been Carano, but that was never agreed to by Dana or UFC. That was just speculation. As it stands now, the only woman that could conceivably give her a fight is Cyborg, to which Ronda has expressed nothing but disdain. For that fight to even be considered Cyborg has to first come down to 135, then we'll see.

That German guy (Karsten Braasch) took it easy on them so as to not embarrass them. While he was ranked around 200 at the time he played like, in his words, someone around 600 in the world.

Bobby Riggs destroyed the number one female player in the world when he was 55 years old.

Female tennis pros for decades routinely practice against men, its not some novel idea. The difference is they practice against guys who were decent college players, guys not good enough to be pros, and the guys still win. The use those guys because they are better than anyone they will play against on the women's tour.

zychi

Banned
Rousey could take many male MMA fighters, but she would not be able to compete at the same weight level.

Think Mighty Mouse v Brock. It just doesn't make sense. Rousey is incredible, and I hope she ventures into the male side at some point before she gets out of her prime, but she's not winning any title above and including the lightweight title.

Physically she's just too small. And she is the John Cena of UFC with 5 moves of doom, granted she hasn't really needed to show her other skills.

BadAss2961

She's the best WMMA fighter in the UFC. But until she beats Cyborg, she's not the undisputed best in the world.

Ronda used to fight at 145 (Cyborg's weight class.) She actually hadn't fought at 135 until offered a title shot at that weight, so she basically built her name fighting at 145 . So the Cyborg fight could happen easily if it weren't for business reasons.

MMA rules does't mean a fight automatically has to go to the ground, and Rhonda wouldn't have a chance of getting Floyd down, are you insane? The man can take punches by 150b professional boxers. He'll have significantly faster foot speed, and the strength to throw Rhonda away anytime she got close. If Mayweather fought like it was against another man the fight wouldn't last 30 seconds.

Lazyslob

Banned
I am not saying she would beat Andy Murray: Gold medalist in the Olympics, multiple time grand slam winner and one of the best tennis players in history. I am saying that given enough time she would not be easily beat by low ranked players like people are gleefully quoting left and right.

Your article also makes it super clear. She developed a game around the fact that her serve is powerful enough to disrupt the rhythm of even the best women players, but playing against men it would certainly not be enough. Had 14 year old Serena Williams played competitively against men, her game would have evolved in a very, very different manner.

.... what? do you you think she trains and practices with? who do you think ronda trains with? men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom