• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could UFC champion Ronda Rousey be competitive against male fighters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think she could win, but the amount of power that professional boxers can deliver in a punch is frightening. She would have zero margin of error. Pound for pound, he would be stronger.

And Mayweather isn't stupid. He would train for the matchup. I expect he would at least have some basic grapple defense. His entire strategy would be focused on avoiding the takedown. Even though it's her homecourt it would not be an easy fight for Ronda. I mean, like at the highlight reel. He makes professional boxers look like Power Ranger putties. I've seen a lot of fights where Ronda squares up and throws a few punches, and she would instantly be flat on the mat if she did that with Mayweather.

But this is a good example of how a skilled judo practitioner can control a fight against a powerful striker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNttRJ40QZE

Booshka

I think she could win, but the amount of power that professional boxers can deliver in a punch is frightening. She would have zero margin of error. Pound for pound, he would be stronger.

And Mayweather isn't stupid. He would train for the matchup. I expect he would at least have some basic grapple defense. His entire strategy would be focused on avoiding the takedown. Even though it's her homecourt it would not be an easy fight for Ronda. I mean, like at the highlight reel. He makes professional boxers look like Power Ranger putties. I've seen a lot of fights where Ronda squares up and throws a few punches, and she would instantly be flat on the mat if she did that with Mayweather.

But this is a good example of how a skilled judo practitioner can control a fight against a powerful striker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNttRJ40QZE

Just do the Chuck Liddell strategy, use Wrestling and Grappling skills to prevent takedowns and stay off the ground, so you can stay up and out-strike everyone. That would be Floyd's best quick training strategy imo.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What about men vs women in sports. That question, is more nuanced than I think people give credit. The example people have been throwing around is the William's sisters against the german dude. Few points that probably should be made: it was only one set each, in women's tennis even the top ranked players lose semi-regularly to much lower ranked players, but more importantly is that they had no time to adapt. From what I've read, there was not too much difference in shot power, speed or technique. The most significant difference was the the sisters assumed certain shots were guaranteed winners and would not get into position fast enough, and that the dude was sending shots at angles they had not experienced before. This is due to the fact that in general, men are indeed better athletes than women. I am certain, though, that if the Williams were to play against men in a consistent manner, their timing and game would improve to make them much more competitive against men.

Your reasoning is off because while you gave reasons such as they have no time to adapt, Karsten Braasch also never played against them before and thus *also* "have no time to adapt" to their playstyle and yet he annihilated them (and by his own admission he didn't even play seriously) and that is a 203 ranked player in the world, the likes of players that folks like Federer or Nadal or Djokovic or Murray eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

And you also forget that while the sisters may improve to the point that they'd be competitive against men, what makes you think that the men side would also *not* improve themselves against the sisters?

It's just too much of a difference right now between men and women, at least in tennis. The only notable female vs men tennis match that I can think of where the female side wins was Billie Jean King vs Bobby Riggs, and even so the 6-4 6-3 6-3 score wasn't really in the "destroyed" scale and she was 26 years younger than Bobby.

Lazyslob

Banned
Just do the Chuck Liddell strategy, use Wrestling and Grappling skills to prevent takedowns and stay off the ground, so you can stay up and out-strike everyone. That would be Floyd's best quick training strategy imo.

this hasnt worked in like 10 years

Here's a closer comparison of the Rousey vs mma men:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRu_5aHZjk8

You can see Melendez not even trying that hard until she does. If this were a real mma bout, she would have been kicked and punched the entire time.

Look Rhonda is a great fighter that is capable of capitalizing on a simple mistake and put you in her world very quickly. But I can't wait until her hype train is derailed because it really has reached beyond ridiculous levels.

Someone with balls needs to make of these 'Female vs Male' things happen again, in any physical sport, so these chicks can get crushed and finally stop talking such nonsense.

THRILLH0

Banned
Someone with balls needs to make of these 'Female vs Male' things happen again, in any physical sport, so these chicks can get crushed and finally stop talking such nonsense.

Even though you're somewhat right, your tone makes it clear you're also a misogynist asshole.

karasu

No. She would get wrecked. She has an impressive skill set but her division is shit. Her hype will be deflated soon like every other ufc champ with a winning streak before her.

I am not saying she would beat Andy Murray: Gold medalist in the Olympics, multiple time grand slam winner and one of the best tennis players in history. I am saying that given enough time she would not be easily beat by low ranked players like people are gleefully quoting left and right.

Your article also makes it super clear. She developed a game around the fact that her serve is powerful enough to disrupt the rhythm of even the best women players, but playing against men it would certainly not be enough. Had 14 year old Serena Williams played competitively against men, her game would have evolved in a very, very different manner.

sorry but you are 100% wrong. Women play regularely against younger males to train because they can get much better talents for cheap in training camp. a WTA player might get an unranked ATP player who is better than Serena for a couple of bucks a day to train against.

source: my buddy was invited to a training camp with Martina Hingis (then no.1 in the world) when he was 16 and he beat her easily everyday. he neve never won single ATP point, he never came even near.

You can see Melendez not even trying that hard until she does. If this were a real mma bout, she would have been kicked and punched the entire time.

Look Rhonda is a great fighter that is capable of capitalizing on a simple mistake and put you in her world very quickly. But I can't wait until her hype train is derailed because it really has reached beyond ridiculous levels.

Wow he completely had total controller over her, not to mention he is just casually doing this while she is turning beet red, not to mention that there would be punches flying to her face. Who in their right mind would think she would have a chance against a man in MMA?

Even though you're somewhat right, your tone makes it clear you're also a misogynist asshole.

No he's probably just annoyed over blatant ignorance of even entertaining the idea that she would have a chance in the male MMA league.

FourMyle

some people ITT are fucking delusional

and i can't believe there was actually a thread about letting women compete in the NFL

jesus christ

BadAss2961

At around 3:27, she tries her unstoppable judo throw. It doesn't work.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ronda Rousey says she won't fight a man
There are people who are incredibly curious about how Ronda Rousey would do in a fight against a man. They're never going to find out.

Doug Gottlieb asked the UFC women's bantamweight how close her fighting a male was to becoming a reality Thursday and Rousey bristled at the question.

"It's not a reality," Rousey said. "They're not gonna do anything like that. Fights are chaotic. Anything can happen. And there's no setting in which we should condone a man hitting a woman."
Well I guess that's that.

darscot

Are you guys considering what a single punch from Mayweather in those little MMA gloves would be like. Her face and his hand would both probably break. This whole thing with Rousey is laughable. Yes she is a dominant womens fighter in the UFC but lets not get carried away. This is all just hype trying to make her worth watching and until they can find someone that is even close her level there is no reason to watch.

KingJ2002

I dunno... i think she can take on any bantamweight fighter in the ring if it goes to the ground early. Her submission techniques are top notch.... but she definitely cannot hang in a stand up game. She'll get blasted so she has to take them down.

Honestly the UFC just needs better female fighters... there's no one on her level. My bet is that she retires early and creates a movie career for herself.... or goes to the WWE

At around 3:27, she tries her unstoppable judo throw. It doesn't work.

Admittedly, her arm bar attempt was pretty scary, and I really thought she would get it. But Melendez still powered through it.

So again, when she can't judo throw or arm bar guess what happens? The man would beat the shit out of her and it would be embarrassing and barbaric to watch.

I'm just waiting for the female equivalent of a man(Cyborg) to finally beat her ass and she become irrelevant. Or at the very least, her very vocal casual fans will become irrelevant.

"It's not a reality," Rousey said. "They're not gonna do anything like that. Fights are chaotic. Anything can happen. And there's no setting in which we should condone a man hitting a woman."

Jesus, didn't expect that.

Someone brought up Evilore's post lol. I wonder what Evilore has to say now. Closing the distance against a good boxer with decent footwork is easier said than done.

m3k

What does Joe Rogan say... Every time you get hit in the head your (grappling) belt(ability) goes down a notch... Really though ronda was an world class judo practitioner... Who got beaten up by a work class boxer

I imagine this thread is pretty much over because the thought of ronda beating mayweather now seems laughable... You see how mcgreggor evaded the GOT guy... I know ronda would be quicker but mayweathers strength is evasion and speed... He would be tagging her for rounds

What does Joe Rogan say... Every time you get hit in the head your (grappling) belt(ability) goes down a notch... Really though ronda was an world class judo practitioner... Who got beaten up by a work class boxer

I imagine this thread is pretty much over because the thought of ronda beating mayweather now seems laughable... You see how mcgreggor evaded the GOT guy... I know ronda would be quicker but mayweathers strength is evasion and speed... He would be tagging her for rounds

No he wouldn't because it wouldn't last rounds. She would get obliterated in seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom