• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bellator 149 |OT| Shamrock, Gracie, Kimbo, DADA5000 (Yes, This Is A Sanctioned Event)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you get a view of the judges? There were reports they were corpsing during the Kimbo/Dada fight, and I would not be surprised.

I didn't see the judges but media row looked like they were having the time of their lives. Wanderlei was there, he was covering his face so you couldn't see him cracking up.

Measley

Damn, Royce looked like he rolled out of bed for this fight. It doesn't look like he has any conditioning at all.

Sweet takedown though. Classic Gjj right there.

CbopYImW0AAf-kr.jpg:large
I am so done lol

Afrikan

That Youtube video could've been better.

Life bars and better sounding ending.

but still Punch Out edit was the first thing I thought about when I saw Dada go down live.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
That was pathetic. I have never seen two fighters so completely out of shape.Worst fight I can remember ever seeing.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
That was pathetic. I have never seen two fighters so completely out of shape.Worst fight I can remember ever seeing.

This was Kimbo over six years ago:

Slice-Alexander.gif

We literally got the best possible outcome for this fight. Imagine how much worse it would have been if Dada didn't fall asleep.

Calderc

So apparently Dada's heart stopped overnight and he had to be put on a ventilator. Kinda feel bad for laughing now.

VoxPop

So apparently Dada's heart stopped overnight and he had to be put on a ventilator. Kinda feel bad for laughing now.

I still wonder if he was supposed to get the W over Kimbo but plans got all fucked up when he had the heart attack. Stick to the backyards Dada.

ElRenoRaven

Yup. We literally almost saw a death live on tv.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/20/11079312/dada-5000-suffers-major-medical-scare-after-loss-to-kimbo-slice

Dada, whose real name is Dhafir Harris, went into cardiac arrest following his third-round knockout loss to Kimbo Slice at Bellator 149 on Friday night in Houston, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the situation. Sources said he was resuscitated by the on-site doctor in the ambulance and rushed to a local hospital. Harris remains there now in stable condition, sources said.

Both Bellator and the athletic commision need to have their asses put to the fire for even sanctioning this shit show. Should have been a one round exhibition fight. You shouldn't be surprised that taking two random, out of shape "street fighting" scrubs and putting them through a full on professional camp/cut/fight would not end well. Neither Kimbo nor Dada were in any shape to even make it 2 minutes, let alone 3 full rounds. No different than taking some 40 year old dude that plays basketball at the Y ever other weekend and making him play a full court 48 minute NBA game. He'd probably have a heart attack too.

Both Bellator and the athletic commision need to have their asses put to the fire for even sanctioning this shit show. Should have been a one round exhibition fight. You shouldn't be surprised that taking two random, out of shape "street fighting" scrubs and putting them through a full on professional camp/cut/fight would not end well. Neither Kimbo nor Dada were in any shape to even make it 2 minutes, let alone 3 full rounds. No different than taking some 40 year old dude that plays basketball at the Y ever other weekend and making him play a full court 48 minute NBA game. He'd probably have a heart attack too.

To at least be fair on the Kimbo side, he had competed multiple times in MMA over the years (hell, in the last eight months he fought Shamrock) and seemed fine. He gassed last night, but nothing more than that as far as we know. It's the Dada thing they should be roasted for.

No different than taking some 40 year old dude that plays basketball at the Y ever other weekend and making him play a full court 48 minute NBA game. He'd probably have a heart attack too.

For starters, I'm only 35. I also dominate at my local Y.

But the last part is certainly true. The last time I tried to play a full out game with very athletic 20 year olds, I feared for my life towards the end,

I'm sure the weight cut didn't help. It's one thing for a professional athlete to put their body through a cut, a lot of them have probably been doing it since they were teenagers. Some random fatass though? Not healthy.

Jeremy Botter ‏@jeremybotter 36m36 minutes ago
One of the judges was laughing. Seriously. He couldn't stop laughing. John McCarthy forced himself to not laugh.

Jeremy Botter ‏@jeremybotter 35m35 minutes ago
Booker T is over here crying with laughter

Jeremy Botter ‏@jeremybotter 34m34 minutes ago
John McCarthy and Jimmy Smith are dying of laughter in the cage.

Jeremy Botter ‏@jeremybotter 44m44 minutes ago
WCW's Stevie Ray is not happy about what he is seeing here.
i like how he confused booker t with stevie ray for a couple of minutes.

or that he remembered stevie ray over booker t.

ElRenoRaven

Yup they really do. That fight should not have happened. Really gives Bellator a huge black eye. Using these guys who should be retired almost bit them in the ass royally. Still might because I wouldn't be surprised to see a lawsuit over it from DaDa and co. Could see them suing saying that Bellator knew they shouldn't have been fighting.

dream

Yup they really do. That fight should not have happened. Really gives Bellator a huge black eye. Using these guys who should be retired almost bit them in the ass royally. Still might because I wouldn't be surprised to see a lawsuit over it from DaDa and co. Could see them suing saying that Bellator knew they shouldn't have been fighting.

I mean, it's prizefighting. Dada knew what he was getting into, and I would imagine that his bout agreement includes a waiver of liability.

Rur0ni

I mean, it's prizefighting. Dada knew what he was getting into, and I would imagine that his bout agreement includes a waiver of liability.
Are we sure that Dada could actually read the agreement? Possibility of it being voided, friend.

ElRenoRaven

Yea but if it's one thing people have proven time and time again they never read agreements and still end up suing anyway. Also I'm sure the suit would certainly test the bindingness of that waiver and if it's even legal to have it.

Why was Booker T involved in this?

Him and his brother were in the audience. They live in Houston and have their own wrestling school.

But if they knew of the danger and let him fight, wouldn't that be Gross Negligence? That could be criminal and a waiver might not be enoughl

dream

But if they knew of the danger and let him fight, wouldn't that be Gross Negligence? That could be criminal and a waiver might not be enoughl

How could they know? The fight was signed months ago, and Dada knew it was at 265. I think any promoter would reasonably expect that Dada would gradually work his way down to a weight where he wouldn't have to cut more than 15-20 lbs.

How much control does Bellator have over the rules of the fights, or is that left solely up to the commission? Could they have had Kimbo/Dada be a one round fight? Or at the very least 3 minute rounds?

Haunted

Smooth Benson Henderson probably getting second thoughts being associated with a company that puts on such a shitshow. :lol

He's getting paid, though.

Why the hell was Dada even signed to a major MMA organization in the first place? Looking at his fight stats, he hasn't had a MMA fight since 2011. And in total before Kimbo he only had two fights. One was against a guy that had never had a MMA fight before and the other was against a guy that was 0-4 at the time of their fight. In total both fighters he fought are current 1-16. And it doesn't seem like either place he fought even exist anymore. I get that there's a history between Kimbo and Dada, but you're still talking about a guy that doesn't seem to have any real serious MMA training and whose coming off a five year layoff since his last real fight. It seemed like a disaster waiting to happen.

Breh, CM Punk is signed with the Ultimate. It's all about the money.

I guess we'll have to wait for ratings, but is there really a draw for Kimbo vs. Dada? I get Punk just from the perspective that he's a huge WWE superstar and there seems to be a good deal of overlap between WWE and UFC fans. Plus you have Lesnar's success in the sport. But this Dada thing just comes across like doing business using internet logic. As in he has some popular fights on Youtube, so surely people want to watch him on TV.

Jesus I was laughing my ass off reading the reactions and watching Sunhi's gifs, but now I feel bad because that dude actually almost croaked. A 40 pound weight cut is nuts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom