• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could UFC champion Ronda Rousey be competitive against male fighters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulga

Banned
Mr. and Ms. Olympia winners in the same year

778faba3e3dc8c6c6db24b403da494ae_XL.jpg

Holy Bananas please stop embarrassing yourself, it's not even close.

RK9039

Can Ronda Rousey beat Tommy from Power Rangers though? I think that is the question we should be asking here.

You're right, that wasn't a very good example.

Still, I think that the gap in women's and men's world records will continue to close. The seconds and milliseconds between men's and women's swimming records will continue to close over the years. Ye Shiwen is young, and will continue to improve and get better. And there will soon be successors who best her.

I'm very confident in that, and looking forward to the achievements of Ye Shiwen, and anyone who might best her. The difference in the men's and women's records will someday become far less than 20 seconds. And some day, less than 10 seconds. And someday, less than 5 seconds. And some day, less than that.

sure. with genetic engineering probably.

and even then, that's if men aren't getting genetically modified.

EDIT: n/m didnt notice the B

Of course she could. Maybe not against the elite of the elite, but sure she'd be competitive with a lot of guys. The thing with these sports is they have weight divisions.. she's going to be fighting someone with the weight as her.

Also, pure strength and athletics doesn't mean everything in MMA.. as technique and proper training will make someone better than someone who is stronger and more athletic. Sure it's great to have both.. but people saying "no" are just full of it.

No men will fight her though.. it's lose/lose for them.

First of all, the top guys in her weight class and below have better technique that her, and are faster and stronger.

She is heavier than Dodson would you like to see her fight him?

1.gif

I feel like it's partially my fault for allowing that derail. God knows I should've known Baikal wasn't operating on any form of reality

k so back to the topic at hand. Would Ronda Rousey beat Michael Jordan in his prime?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don't know which ones to start with but...

Ye Shiwen has broken many men's old records in swimming.
And Zhou Lulu has lifted 333 kg, which is more than many men's old records.
Going back to 1930's men in the same weight category were destroying Zhou Lulu's record.

Still, I think that the gap in women's and men's world records will continue to close. The seconds and milliseconds between men's and women's swimming records will continue to close over the years.

I know HolyBaikal is banned but I'm genuinely curious to know if the gap in swimming records has actually become smaller over time.

Rayis

I want her to fight that Ian fellow and beat his ass for talking shit, doing "men" things like getting his ass kicked by a woman.

RK9039

k so back to the topic at hand. Would Ronda Rousey beat Michael Jordan in his prime?

That is an interesting one. I think if Ronda manages to clinch at least one of Jordan's legs, she might have a chance. Of course the issue is we all know, from Space Jam, what kind of tricks Michael Jordan has up his sleeves.

Is he in or out of his Zord?

I personally feel it would be really unfair if the Green Ranger wasn't allowed to use his Zord. It needs to be as fair as possible.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I can see where you're coming from but I guess IMO it seems kinda dark that we enjoy watching men beat other men's asses. In my mind we disrespect women by banning them from participating against men. That's not to say that they SHOULD fight men- but they should always have the choice. And should they so make that choice, we should treat them as any other person in the ring. I don't think this has any relation to domestic violence as it's two trained athletes who agree to fight each other in a sanctioned match.

I totally hear you and the irony and hypocrisy in my post is very well highlighted by your viewpoint. I'm the one having a hard time separating the image of inter-gender full contact martial arts and violence against women and that can't obviously supersede someone's personal decision.
I also this issue of mine veers away from the spirit of the discussion but i wanted to say i agree with you.

HTupolev

I know HolyBaikal is banned but I'm genuinely curious to know if the gap in swimming records has actually become smaller over time.
Not a lot. For instance, the absolute time difference in the 50m free has shrunk slightly in the last few decades, but the proportional difference has actually gotten a tiny bit bigger. In some events if you look back really far (i.e. the 50s) the women's times start to get pretty far behind, but the current course has been holding since maybe the 70s or so.

SmokeMaxX

Mr. and Ms. Olympia winners in the same year

778faba3e3dc8c6c6db24b403da494ae_XL.jpg

Holy Bananas please stop embarrassing yourself, it's not even close.
I'd like to see Ms. Olympia with some training in the ring. Clearly smaller than Mr. Olympia but damn. Pretty impressive.

That is an interesting one. I think if Ronda manages to clinch at least one of Jordan's legs, she might have a chance. Of course the issue is we all know, from Space Jam, what kind of tricks Michael Jordan has up his sleeves.

Great, now I have an image of Rousey going for a judo throw and Jordan's arm just stretching forever instead of pulling him to the ground. He's got dat Mr. Fantastic advantage

IMO any sport that requires technique gives women the chance to dominate. If Tiger Woods were a woman, he'd still have dominated golf for so many years. A woman could be the best bowler in the world. In more physical sports, women would have to have a significant skill gap to overcome their physical disadvantages. I'd never say it's impossible though.

Not quite. Many people seem to expect that because men have the strength/speed advantage, a woman could have the technique advantage. But the fact is that at the top level of these sports, you're talking technique that us every bit as fine across genders, but with more speed and strength added on the men's side.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The worst part about dealing with an insane person under these circumstances is having to assert the overall athletic inferiority of women, which makes you feel like a total asshole to point out over and over. I have utmost respect for women in sports, especially combat sports which are brutally difficult and usually have extreme male:female ratios. It's normal for women to have to spar with men in BJJ, for example, due to lack of available sparring partners. Every time I've fought a girl in BJJ, there's always a size and strength advantage my way, and I've had girls turn purple fighting underneath me just from gravity and strength differences, but none of the girls have ever said a word in protest or ever stopped trying to win until an actual submission moment. Can't say the same for guys when there's a significant size/strength/skill difference.

The fact that Ronda achieved the top of the game in women's MMA, and a high level of proficiency in general, speaks volumes about her tenacity and fighting spirit, on many different levels.

SmokeMaxX

Not quite. Many people seem to expect that because men have the strength/speed advantage, a woman could have the technique advantage. But the fact is that at the top level of these sports, you're talking technique that us every bit as fine across genders, but with more speed and strength added on the men's side.
I agree at the top level skills are likely to be similar (especially due to technological advances which allow athletes to be recorded and analyzed (as well as copied)). Just saying that there's a possibility.

First of all all the top guys in her weight class and below have better technique that her, and are faster and stronger.

She is heavier than Dodson would you like to see her fight him?

1.gif

shit, im like a foot taller and 30 pounds heavier and he looks too jittery to take on :/

The worst part about dealing with an insane person under these circumstances is having to assert the overall athletic inferiority of women, which makes you feel like a total asshole to point out over and over.

It really does irritate me to do that here (I've had to do it twice in this damn thread alone), when people should really take Rousey's accomplishments as what they are; numerous, insane, and astoundingly impressive.

She's trained in judo since she was a kid, she's got Olympic level judo, and she translated it to MMA perfectly. The reason she runs through people so quickly is because she's got a pet hold that she knows a bajillion different ways into, and her throw technique is unmatched. You can't prepare for Rousey, because nobody else has the skills she does. It's that simple. The only person who got closest was Tate, who did it via trolling the fuck out of Rousey and having experience fighting her, and she barely got out of the first round.

UrbanRats

And it would be their last PPV event.

The domestic violence crowd is already watching so there isn't as much expansion potential as you'd think

Surviving a kick to the neck from a trained MMA male is a whole different ball game than what she has been hit with.

I'm sorry, i don't follow MMA, would guys mind explaining me the reasoning here?

Weight categories are made for fairness, but she is a grown woman, and if she wants to test out her skill or whatever, if she wants to fight, why is anyone else's business? It's not like it has to be an official tournament fight. And what does domestic violence has to do with it?

As for the danger, i get that, but you're always in danger when you get on the ring, and again, no one is forcing anyone, it'd be her choice.

EDIT: For clarity, i was thinking of a "one off" sort of thing, not like inserting her in the male league or anything like that, if that makes any sense.

Potentially, if only based on the fact that women's athletics were even more underfunded and underappreciated when they were first allowed to compete versus now.

I agree at the top level skills are likely to be similar (especially due to technological advances which allow athletes to be recorded and analyzed (as well as copied)). Just saying that there's a possibility.

I guess that's fair.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You'd think that out of all the heavily physical spots for mixed sex competition, MMA would be one of the best suited since it pairs you up based on weight. There would still be disadvantages for the women, but there would be a lot of ways for skill to overcome them compared to say, football or basketball, for example.

First off Floyd Mayweather is only a boxer. Now if you had chosen someone of his height, weight, training and compared it with Rhonda than that would be fair enough. Rhonda would easily destroy Floyd in a Octagon.

The fact that Ronda achieved the top of the game in women's MMA, and a high level of proficiency in general, speaks volumes about her tenacity and fighting spirit, on many different levels.

Succinctly put.

I have found over time that good intentions or not these kind of discussions tend to degrade the accomplishments of the women competitors which is sad.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
So he's going to learn how to stop an Olympic Judoka from throwing him on his ass by starting a training camp at the age of 38 without ever having a ground game in his life.

Money Mayweather sure as hell knows how to promote himself man.

if we are using that logic then Rousey cannot stand up at all...ever in the match. And what is stopping mayweather from moving out of the way of a takedown or blocking the tackle? he wont have on boxing gloves he'd have on mma gloves. He'll be able to grab, push all kinds of stuff he isn't allowed to do in a boxing ring.

Basically if you serve Mayweather up on a platter to someone who knows judo the result is the same as the Ali debacle, the bullshit fight with Gene La Bell vs some 3rd ranked boxer, James Toney who hasn't worked out in 25 years vs Randy C, Ron Mercers fat self vs some kick boxer. All a joke None of these guys were the top in Judo/MMA nor were any of the boxers top of boxing at the time.

Furthermore, neither athlete from either sport would waste a fight doing something like boxing vs mma or mma vs muy thai / kickboxing if they were in their prime. For what?

shit, im like a foot taller and 30 pounds heavier and he looks too jittery to take on :/

John Dodson is a freak athlete he can dunk a basketball at 5' 3" he also owns a knockout victory over the current featherweight champion TJ Dillashaw.

As for Ronda she probably could not beat the guys in her weight class. The Womens 135 pound weight class is probably the worst or second worst in the along with the UFC heavyweights.

You'd think that out of all the heavily physical spots for mixed sex competition, MMA would be one of the best suited since it pairs you up based on weight. There would still be disadvantages for the women, but there would be a lot of ways for skill to overcome them compared to say, football or basketball, for example.

Hope your kidding, in mma you punch people not play with a ball, fighting is way worse, a good part of the matches end with one person unconscious.

ISure there's a reliable defense to it: being significantly faster than the person trying to get ahold of you. He doesn't have to knock her out as she's trying to grab him, he can just move away.

Oh sure, if Floyd can literally out sprint her after landing a single jab for 15 mins, that strategy will work.

Oh wait, it would be in a ring/cage and that is completely silly.

Alchemy

Ronda is one of the best judoka on the fucking planet, especially around her weight class. If she fights at her weight class she'd have no problem beyond just a larger pool of fighters with more extensive training compared to what she fights now. She'd still be able to submit anyone in the division though, and I don't care how brostrong you think you are, she'd kill pretty much any human with no combat training in minutes.

btrboyev

It would be same result if the best College football team played the worst NFL team.

Nah, I think the best college team would have more than a chance.

I don't like seeing women fighting regardless, but there is no way they can compete and it would be pretty fucked up for it to happen and I don't think any dude would step in the ring and do it. Unless they don't plan on swinging and going for a submission without any strikes.

So he's going to learn how to stop an Olympic Judoka from throwing him on his ass by starting a training camp at the age of 38 without ever having a ground game in his life.

Money Mayweather sure as hell knows how to promote himself man.

Floyd is actually great in the clinch, much better at closing or preventing closing the the distance on him that Ronda, who only can take people down from the clinch.

A surprising amount of what Mayweather and Toney did in the ring is, for lack of a more sport specific word, wrestling. The idea that boxing is just the punching part hurts a great many fighters when they get in the ring with a throwback fighter who will wrestle them around, push them to the corners if they get lazy, or lean on them.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/wrestling-practice-with-james-toney-and-floyd-mayweather

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry, i don't follow MMA, would guys mind explaining me the reasoning here?

Weight categories are made for fairness, but she is a grown woman, and if she wants to test out her skill or whatever, if she wants to fight, why is anyone else's business? It's not like it has to be an official tournament fight. And what does domestic violence has to do with it?

As for the danger, i get that, but you're always in danger when you get on the ring, and again, no one is forcing anyone, it'd be her choice.

EDIT: For clarity, i was thinking of a "one off" sort of thing, not like inserting her in the male league or anything like that, if that makes any sense.
It doesn't. MMA isn't a sport with leagues or seasons as such, just fights (tournaments are rare nowadays, especially in the UFC). If Ronda was to fight a man in the UFC it would require the promotion to support it and the relevant athletic commission to sanction it, neither of which are going to happen.

This is offset by the nature of the sport; in fact, the very existence of weight classes reveals how much of an impact strength and power advantages have in combat sports. For another example, look at records for men and women in racing sports (swimming, running etc...) which don't have weight classes compared to those in strength sports (Olympic weightlifting, powerlifting) which do. Women's records average around 90% of men's in the former, but are closer to 80% in the latter.

A sport like MMA adds an extra wrinkle in that fighters generally cut weight to weigh in and refeed/hydrate for fight day, something that male bodies with their lower essential fat levels and higher muscular development are better at. Even if they both weigh in at 135lbs, it would not be unusual for the male fighter to regain more weight than the female fighter come fight time.

Booshka

Nah, I think the best college team would have more than a chance.

I don't like seeing women fighting regardless, but there is no way they can compete and it would be pretty fucked up for it to happen and I don't think any dude would step in the ring and do it. Unless they don't plan on swinging and going for a submission without any strikes.

Nah, college football team would get stomped by even the last place NFL team, NFL Pro's are some of the premier athletes in the world, it's incredibly hard to play in the NFL. The skill gap is vast.

jett

D-Member
She would get annihilated. Ridiculous proposition. And I doubt there are any men out there that would agree to do this.

UrbanRats

It doesn't. MMA isn't a sport with leagues or seasons as such, just fights (tournaments are rare nowadays, especially in the UFC). If Ronda was to fight a man in the UFC it would require the promotion to support it and the relevant athletic commission to sanction it, neither of which are going to happen.
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

My initial argument was that if she wanted to fight, and someone wanted to fight her back, i didn't see why they wouldn't let her (despite the potential disparity).

And that's what i still don't have very clear.
Is it just health concern, or there's other reasons? Beyond the likelihood of her winning the match, i mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom