• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: "Starfield is exclusive to Xbox and PC. Period."

Zeroing

Banned
Remember guys,

exclusive to playstation means=“another one” “for the players!” “Greatness awaits!”, and antonio banderas gifs

exclusive to microsofts ecosysteam means=“I hate money hats!!!” “They are consolidating the industry!” And lots of port begging.

did i do it right?
Yes it would be correct if Sony brought a big publisher and made it exclusive. Is it so hard to understand this concept?

maybe we should use Nintendo as a example so that people don’t feel biased. Nintendo buys Bethesda and makes their games exclusive, now what? Nintendo fans are happy but what about Xbox and PS fans?

does people understand it now?

S0ULZB0URNE

Are you just mentally blocking out sht you don't want to know or aren't willing to accept? The way you stay in denial is starting to creep me out. You've been given numerous links, and still, you keep pretending like it's the same old story and the message is still confusing. It isn't. It hasn't been for a while now.

If GP is on your device, you'll see Bethesda games - aside from contracted deals for the two games we've known about for months on PS5.

If it's not, you won't. How much clearer can it be?? Since when is sharing a $7.5 billion acquisition with your competition where the smart money is?? This is what you're actually suggesting will happen. And it's daft AF.
Are you?

Did you read what MS actually said that's posted above?

Zeroing

Banned
Harder to maintain Bethesda? I disagree strongly. They kept all of Bethesda's management and publishing operation fully intact. Bethesda will manage Bethesda as Bethesda has always done with strong support from Xbox and Microsoft. This will be much easier to maintain compared to any prior gaming acquisition Microsoft has ever done. Microsoft didn't just buy Zenimax/Bethesda for xbox console sales, they bought them to grow Xbox, yes, but more importantly Game Pass and the Xbox eco-system altogether. And you can pretty much guarantee it will do all of those things once the big guns start releasing.
Yeah you don’t understand how hard it is to run a gaming studio….

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Remember guys,

exclusive to playstation means=“another one” “for the players!” “Greatness awaits!”, and antonio banderas gifs, and “its historically associated with playstation!!!”

exclusive to microsofts ecosysteam means=“I hate money hats!!!” “They are consolidating the industry!” And lots of port begging.

did i do it right?
I am happy that MS went out and bought all 8 zenimax studios, but surely there is a difference between buying a fledgling studio like Ninja Theory or Obsidian vs buying a powerhouse like Bethesda, ID software and well the entire publishing unit of Zenimax.

Bethesda made games that wouldve come to Micrsoft's consoles no matter what. Maybe a few months late if sony went out and bought timed exclusivity but buying zenimax studios is like buying ubisoft studios. are you offering xbox owners more value there? of course not, AC, watch dogs and division would always come out on xbox consoles. what these deals do is offer ps owners LESS value and that part is great for fanboys, but it doesnt offer xbox owners a better deal.

where it WILL help them is by giving them the extra time to polish the game that third party publishers typically cant afford to give. they might also get a bigger budget. which is why I am not too perturbed by this deal.

Garani

It's a single player epic RPG in the vein of Fallout or Elder Scrolls. Because it's a whole new IP it's likely to have some very unique elements that separate it from those other two.

Epic? We didn't even get a single frame of a trailer :D

Can't tell if you're trolling...It's Bethesda

Anthem

So many mixed emotions from Sony fans. Like... If you've never liked Bethesda games, why are you port begging.

You "don't want the games anyways", but at the same time are desperately trying to convince us that it's not truly exclusive? Pick a struggle

Nono, you can keep Zenimax. Apart of a couple games (not Fallout nor Elder Scrolls), the rest isn't worth of anything more than a 80% sale.

Idk you can look at fallout 4s fairly mixed reception and fo76 being a bomb, or the various other Bethesda studios games that have underperformed in recent years and ask that again.

Fallout 4 has no higher than a 6.5 from users on any platform on metacritic.

Fallout 4 was a high quality, widely successful release no matter how you slice it. It changed things up from Fallout 3 as I understand as I've done research there and watched videos to understand what was different, but it also became quite a bit better in other areas as well, particularly where gameplay was concerned. Seeing the gameplay is one of the main things that kept me away from Fallout in the past. Opinions will always be opinions, but there's no mistaking the quality of these games for bad or terrible, which I see many rushing to do lately due to the Xbox deal.

Not saying that's what you're doing, but it's just a reality of the current times in gaming. Fallout 4 was a very big and ambitious AAA open world RPG experience that gave you all kinds of different ways to play, approach and experience the world. The game is excellent even with some of its flaws. I was a very late comer to the fallout franchise. I hopped in once Fallout 4 was enhanced for Xbox One X. I had only played the Elder Scrolls titles before then, but I'm glad I jumped onboard Fallout when I did, made even better by the fact that I got to experience it in a much better state than what it originally launched at on consoles, and these days with the newer consoles we can expect so much better right out the gate.

It was hard to get me into these kinds of post apocalyptic worlds before because I'm very much into the colorful world/stylish worlds of japanese inspired RPGs, things that tend to remind me of Anime I'd watch, but I've learned to appreciate these other kinds of games over the years. There was a time the only way you could pull me into RPGs like this was a star wars jedi connection, something more humorous like Fable, or swords and magic.

S0ULZB0URNE

I did. That's why I'm questioning your battling fucking posts. You're referencing a quote from BEFORE the official acquisition. The entire deal changed at the round table. It was much more definitive. WTFU....seriously.
Not sure how when a person from a company says something that it matters if it was before or after anything?

Going by what they actually said leaves room for different interpretations as nothing is clear here.

You saying this is not a answer to what they said so being you don't have one... don't bother responding to me.

kuncol02

Banned

Anthem

Nono, you can keep Zenimax. Apart of a couple games (not Fallout nor Elder Scrolls), the rest isn't worth of anything more than a 80% sale.
It's Bethesda. Obviously it will be epic RPG. That's type of games they do. Also Anthem don't means shit, because real BioWare ceased to exists when Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk left in 2012. All that was left was headless corpse unable to create good game since then.

Anthem

That's what Bethesda are making. It's a huge, singleplayer RPG.

Now what will it be like outside of that? No idea yet. We shall see. Actually, wolfenstein, doom, indiana jones that's coming from machinegames, dishonored, prey, ghostwire tokyo, deathloop, elder scrolls online etc are all high quality experiences worth a gamer's attention. I admit, there are many games from Bethesda that weren't on my radar from them prior to the Xbox deal. I can definitely admit that, but I'm glad my eyes were opened to some of what else they offer. I was only ever interested in fallout and elder scrolls from them, and only recently gave a damn about Doom as of the 2016 release and then the follow up eternal. Never cared for oldschool doom.

Garani

It's Bethesda. Obviously it will be epic RPG. That's type of games they do. Also Anthem don't means shit, because real BioWare ceased to exists when Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk left in 2012. All that was left was headless corpse unable to create good game since then.

Actually you are right, I mixed Bioware with Bethesda. Sorry. But Bethesda doesn't make "Epic" just because of the name. Look at Fallout76.

That's what Bethesda are making. It's a huge, singleplayer RPG.

Now what will it be like outside of that? No idea yet. We shall see. Actually, wolfenstein, doom, indiana jones that's coming from machinegames, dishonored, prey, ghostwire tokyo, deathloop, elder scrolls online etc are all high quality experiences worth a gamer's attention. I admit, there are many games from Bethesda that weren't on my radar from them prior to the Xbox deal. I can definitely admit that, but I'm glad my eyes were opened to some of what else they offer. I was only ever interested in fallout and elder scrolls from them, and only recently gave a damn about Doom as of the 2016 release and then the follow up eternal. Never cared for oldschool doom.
Prey and Wolfenstein were remarcable games, but not made by Bethesda itself.

A name doesn't make anything epic by itself. Calling it epic even before watching a mere trailer, it's a bit of a leap of faith.

Actually you are right, I mixed Bioware with Bethesda. Sorry. But Bethesda doesn't make "Epic" just because of the name. Look at Fallout76.

Prey and Wolfenstein were remarcable games, but not made by Bethesda itself.

A name doesn't make anything epic by itself. Calling it epic even before watching a mere trailer, it's a bit of a leap of faith.

The latest Prey and Wolfenstein games are made by studios that Bethesda owns, which now belong to Microsoft and Xbox after the purchase of Zenimax/Bethesda.

Bethesda Game Studios builds some of the best worlds out there of any game studio in the world. They've always been fantastic at doing this. It's what they do best. Chances are they will find a way to do it again with Starfield. Fallout 76 is now a much better game than when it initially launched.

Last edited:

yurinka

Deal was finalized in march.
No, the deal was made in September and they sent the press releases back then and made interviews to talk about it since then. What they did until March was the paperwork like to get the EU antimonopoly approval and so on.

They can't go and say they purchased a company for $7.5B and to talk about their plans for them if they don't have everything set in stone. If that wouldn't be the case and after doing that the acquisition isn't finalized they'd have some serious issues because announcements like that affect the stock market.

Last edited:

yurinka

... which is what approving the deal is. The merger was not official until that happened.
The merged was official since they publicly announced it. Before announcing it they negotiate and agree the conditions of the acquisition and align their roadmaps during months or maybe even years, set the price and sign the deal, they can't announce the acquisition if everything is secured.

Once done, they announce it and make interviews about it while at the same time they do paperwork during some months, something normal in big acquisitions. Once the paperwork is done, the acquisition is complete. But the deal is obviously made before they announce the acquisition because obviously they can't announce an acquisition deal that doesn't exist.

Last edited:

ManaByte

The merged was official since they publicly announced it. Before announcing it they negotiate and agree the conditions of the acquisition and align their roadmaps during months or maybe even years, set the price and sign the deal, they can't announce the acquisition if everything is secured.

Once done, they announce it and make interviews about it while at the same time they do paperwork during some months, something normal in big acquisitions. Once the paperwork is done, the acquisition is complete. But the deal is obviously made before they announce the acquisition because obviously they can't announce an acquisition deal that doesn't exist.
GIF by Giphy QA

Fallout 4 was a high quality, widely successful release no matter how you slice it. It changed things up from Fallout 3 as I understand as I've done research there and watched videos to understand what was different, but it also became quite a bit better in other areas as well, particularly where gameplay was concerned. Seeing the gameplay is one of the main things that kept me away from Fallout in the past. Opinions will always be opinions, but there's no mistaking the quality of these games for bad or terrible, which I see many rushing to do lately due to the Xbox deal.

Not saying that's what you're doing, but it's just a reality of the current times in gaming. Fallout 4 was a very big and ambitious AAA open world RPG experience that gave you all kinds of different ways to play, approach and experience the world. The game is excellent even with some of its flaws. I was a very late comer to the fallout franchise. I hopped in once Fallout 4 was enhanced for Xbox One X. I had only played the Elder Scrolls titles before then, but I'm glad I jumped onboard Fallout when I did, made even better by the fact that I got to experience it in a much better state than what it originally launched at on consoles, and these days with the newer consoles we can expect so much better right out the gate.

It was hard to get me into these kinds of post apocalyptic worlds before because I'm very much into the colorful world/stylish worlds of japanese inspired RPGs, things that tend to remind me of Anime I'd watch, but I've learned to appreciate these other kinds of games over the years. There was a time the only way you could pull me into RPGs like this was a star wars jedi connection, something more humorous like Fable, or swords and magic.

I was a late comer to Fallout 4 as well and came away thoroughly unimpressed. Graphically it looked very poor, and the gameplay was incredibly dated.

Felt like Bethesda just keeps falling behind the curve compared to much more ambitious modern games.

Garani

The latest Prey and Wolfenstein games are made by studios that Bethesda owns, which now belong to Microsoft and Xbox after the purchase of Zenimax/Bethesda.

Bethesda Game Studios builds some of the best worlds out there of any game studio in the world. They've always been fantastic at doing this. It's what they do best. Chances are they will find a way to do it again with Starfield. Fallout 76 is now a much better game than when it initially launched.
Prey and Wolfenstein were made by 2 studios owned by Zenimax, not Bethesda. And those 2 games are the only exception of the dismal production published by Zenimax.

Fallout 76 will never be fixed, just like Anthem. And shall I remember that Obsidian did a better job than Bethesda at Fallout AND with their own game?

If I have to feel pissed, I am more pissed at Obsidian being owned by MS, than Zenimax as a whole.

Prey and Wolfenstein were made by 2 studios owned by Zenimax, not Bethesda. And those 2 games are the only exception of the dismal production published by Zenimax.

Fallout 76 will never be fixed, just like Anthem. And shall I remember that Obsidian did a better job than Bethesda at Fallout AND with their own game?

If I have to feel pissed, I am more pissed at Obsidian being owned by MS, than Zenimax as a whole.

Microsoft owns Zenimax too, it doesn't matter which way you put it really. Microsoft owns everything Zenimax owned related to game development studios and IP. They bought the whole thing.

Obsidian is an incredible, incredible studio. I've been singing their praises for the longest. I believe they are Microsoft's top internal studio and best new studio acquisition prior to Bethesda. That said, the whole Obsidian did better than Bethesda at their own game stuff is a pointless angle in the grand scheme. They're all under one roof now, which is all the more exciting. Microsoft doesn't just have that, they also have the Wasteland 3 studio. It's an embarrassment of resources under their belt.

If it doesn't release this year then Microsoft fucking up. You cant just have one big game for the entire year. Halo isn't enough.
Heard Forza Horizon 5 is also releasing this year and Forza Horizon is the biggest racing game so it not just Halo also Stalker 3 is big also.

Notice he says "that ship on", not "that ship only on".

So when he says "exclusive" he can mean "timed console exclusives that will be day one on GP", something that would match with his words of supporting existing communities on other platforms, and the Xbox CFO statements about their strategy with Bethesda is going to focus on 'first or best' on Xbox.

No, the deal was made in September 2020 and that Xbox CFO quote is from November 2020.
There is no way in hell it timed exclusive lol it a 1st party studio after all time exclusive are mostly for 3rd party studios.

Last edited:

rnlval

Remember guys,

exclusive to playstation means=“another one” “for the players!” “Greatness awaits!”, and antonio banderas gifs, and “its historically associated with playstation!!!”

did i do it right?
I was an Amiga owner and I have lived through Sony's buyout of Psygnosis. Both Japanese Nintendo and Sega platform vendors have exclusive game titles business models to "boat anchor" their hardware platforms. Sega has been displaced by Sony in modern times.

Microsoft's buyout of ZeniMax is fighting "fire with fire" tactics i.e. reciprocal action is a simple concept to understand.

Last edited:

Garani

Microsoft owns Zenimax too, it doesn't matter which way you put it really. Microsoft owns everything Zenimax owned related to game development studios and IP. They bought the whole thing.

Obsidian is an incredible, incredible studio. I've been singing their praises for the longest. I believe they are Microsoft's top internal studio and best new studio acquisition prior to Bethesda. That said, the whole Obsidian did better than Bethesda at their own game stuff is a pointless angle in the grand scheme. They're all under one roof now, which is all the more exciting. Microsoft doesn't just have that, they also have the Wasteland 3 studio. It's an embarrassment of resources under their belt.
I am amazed by the spinning.

Of course MS bought out Zenimax and all studios under it, but if all the studios were the same we wouldn't have poor games (aka Bethesda's) with excellent games (aka Arkane's and MachineGames's).

Having said that, I am more than happy with the talent at Sony and their own first parties, so I am not too concerned by MS buying Zenimax.

RGB'D

This is what they said...

"Microsoft wants future Bethesda games to be “either first or better or best” on Xbox platforms, a senior executive has said."

Guess one day we will find out what they meant.
I'm pretty sure they used that lingo because the transaction hadn't been approved and they couldn't make those claims before they actually acquired zenimax. And after it was official at the joint press conference is when Phil said his quote about exclusivity.

onesvenus

what these deals do is offer ps owners LESS value and that part is great for fanboys, but it doesnt offer xbox owners a better deal.
It does offer more incentives to choose Xbox instead of Playstation though, it's not a deal for the fanboys but for gamers not attached to the PlayStation ecosystem

Duchess

Almost 900 comments, I mean what is there to even discuss here ?
Question : Is Starfield a 100% lifetime PC and Xbox exclusive?

Microsoft: ...

Everyone else: oh my god ms have paid 7 billion dollars for bethesda which means its an exclusive because they wouldnt pay that money to put the games on playstation and they want gamers to get gamepass to play the game how stupid are you to not understand all the money they paid and you think nintendo and sony will still get the games your stupid ms have bought them to keep the titles off playstation you will need to get gamepass or pc they are best

Actually, MS did make a comment about such things back at the beginning on 2020:

MOTM

Banned

Everyone else: oh my god ms have paid 7 billion dollars for bethesda which means its an exclusive because they wouldnt pay that money to put the games on playstation and they want gamers to get gamepass to play the game how stupid are you to not understand all the money they paid and you think nintendo and sony will still get the games your stupid ms have bought them to keep the titles off playstation you will need to get gamepass or pc they are best

Actually, MS did make a comment about such things back at the beginning on 2020:

Microsoft already said the game will be available wherever Gamepass is available ...So for the moment that means Xbox & PC. I don’t see what’s there to discuss for 900 posts 😅

Last edited:

HoofHearted

Almost 900 comments, I mean what is there to even discuss here ? 🤔
Apparently - denial is deeply rooted in this thread...

Some have a hard time accepting facts about what happens during (and after) an acquisition...

But sure ... something could possibly happen differently than what's already been stated over these past few months by MS execs - depends on how one wants to hold out hope and their view of that half-filled glass of water....

I've also got a few bridges to sell in 2 major cities if anyone's interested for cheap..

Last edited:

Brofist

Well...except it seems valid to think that the Zenimax purchase would result in their games being exclusive to MS/GP. It seems to be grasping at straws to think they'll be on Sony and Nintendo's consoles.

But hey anything is possible, and the fact that people would even believe there's a chance means that by default they think that MS is more open to that line of thinking than Sony. Cause if Sony had made this purchase we wouldn't be having this topic.

I think there have been more recent comments on the matter since early 2020, but I'm no expert.

Derktron

Banned
Apparently - denial is deeply rooted in this thread...

Some have a hard time accepting facts about what happens during (and after) an acquisition...
Yep, this right here. Funny enough then they claim they do not care anymore about anything from Bethedia but will probably go out of their way to get the two games from Bethesda that are still exclusive to PS5. The biggest test of time will be if both games become successful after all those hypocrites claimed they wanted nothing to do with anything from Bethesda, see this is what I've been saying and yet the mods here shut me up by banning me for a week. Because I told the truth. They are biased in their own nature and I swear if those games become successful I"m going to rage in anger over it. Because how can they still be in denial when Xbox and Bethesda told ALL OF US! That if you want to play ANY GAME FROM BETHESDA. It will be only on systems that have Xbox Gamepass and the only platform that still has it. Is Xbox & PC. What else is there to discuss over it. Why are people making 18 pages of nothing when the answers were already provided. Now I will say this. If games like Starfield do come to PlayStation and after what was said in that video. Then yes I will rage in anger and laugh at Microsoft for being the biggest lie and the biggest joke of all gaming history.

Here is a little reminder to those who are still discussing this topic when it should have stopped being discussed. Starts on 8:48

Top Bottom