• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: "Starfield is exclusive to Xbox and PC. Period."

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I think enough people reported it and Sony already took Tokyo wire and Deathloop. They will money hat any good game right now.

Microsoft stopped money hats on AAA games long ago. They for years they had no money from corperate. When they did they wisely put it into studios instead of short term fixes like money hats. The exclusives they have are indy games that cost very little and they get gamepass deals with.

You sure?

- STALKER 2
- Scorn
- The Medium
- Warhammer 40.000 Darktide
- CrossfireX
- The Gunk
- Tetris Effect: Connected
- As Dusk Falls
- The Falconeer

And many more…

When more than the two known Zenimax games release on other platforms you will see.
Adow GIF by A Discovery of Witches

quest

Not Banned from OT
You sure?

- STALKER 2
- Scorn
- The Medium
- Warhammer 40.000 Darktide
- CrossfireX
- The Gunk
- Tetris Effect: Connected
- As Dusk Falls
- The Falconeer

And many more…
You listed a bunch of indy games lol. Unless you want to count 1 person team games like the falconeer as AAA to play what about ism lol. Microsoft invested in studios instead of expensive timed exclusives like project athena, Tokyo wire and Deathloop you know real AAA games.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You listed a bunch of indy games lol. Unless you want to count 1 person team games like the falconeer as AAA to play what about ism lol. Microsoft invested in studios instead of expensive timed exclusives like project athena, Tokyo wire and Deathloop you know real AAA games.

Well since there are many more like that Dino game and Mecha game, you guys are just trying hard to defend that MS isn't even doing this lol. Now games are indie so it doesn't matter.

yeah right, who are you trying to fool? Also, i'm not sure if Deathloop and Tokyo wire are AAA titles. You are trying to tell me Sony is not investing in new studios or their own? They recently invested in 2 new studio's making games for them.

a year ago exclusives were not important, because the xbox fans had the argument that people mainly play multiplatform games anyway and nobody buys a console purely for exclusives. I think MS and their fans have to figure out what direction they want to go in every generation. In that area MS is just not consistent and they don't have a focus like Nintendo and Sony do.

People still underestimate PlayStation.. Atm only PlayStation is delivering what they've promised. MS promised the Best line-up (lie), they were abundantly clear that they would have the best multiplatform games from day 1 (another lie). In that area MS talks way too much and that is their weakness...they are not hitting the mainstream after all.

Your facts aren't facts. They said the games will be everywhere GP is. If GP ain't on your device, you're not getting it. Those are the facts.

If it was confirmed already (he never said anything about Starfield), why is there still so much confusion? Why does some idiot like Grubb needs to "confirm" it with some vague sources?

Because MS is still vague...

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Well since there are many more like that Dino game and Mecha game, you guys are just trying hard to defend that MS isn't even doing this lol. Now games are indie so it doesn't matter.

yeah right, who are you trying to fool? Also, i'm not sure if Deathloop and Tokyo wire are AAA titles. You are trying to tell me Sony is not investing in new studios or their own? They recently invested in 2 new studio's making games for them.

a year ago exclusives were not important, because the xbox fans had the argument that people mainly play multiplatform games anyway and nobody buys a console purely for exclusives. I think MS and their fans have to figure out what direction they want to go in every generation. In that area MS is just not consistent and they don't have a focus like Nintendo and Sony do.

People still underestimate PlayStation.. Atm only PlayStation is delivering what they've promised. MS promised the Best line-up (lie), they were abundantly clear that they would have the best multiplatform games from day 1 (another lie). In that area MS talks way too much and that is their weakness...they are not hitting the mainstream after all.

If it was confirmed already (he never said anything about Starfield), why is there still so much confusion? Why does some idiot like Grub needs to "confirm" it with some vague sources?

No one outside list warriors give a shit about timed exclusives. They are a waste of money that could of went into real exclusives or studios. Ask any Microsoft fan what they rather have 3-4 timed exclusives or bunch of new studios. Most have been consistent about this for a while. I hope Microsoft and Sony never spend a cent on marketing deals ever again either completely wasting money. I'm totally sure anyone is hoping to be fooled elden ring is a Microsoft exclusive lol or COD is a Sony exclusive ffs.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
No one outside list warriors give a shit about timed exclusives. They are a waste of money that could of went into real exclusives or studios. Ask any Microsoft fan what they rather have 3-4 timed exclusives or bunch of new studios. Most have been consistent about this for a while. I hope Microsoft and Sony never spend a cent on marketing deals ever again either completely wasting money. I'm totally sure anyone is hoping to be fooled elden ring is a Microsoft exclusive lol or COD is a Sony exclusive ffs.

Those same xbox fans were constantly crying when Sony invested in a studio, but now that Microsoft is doing it flat out, there is nothing to worry about it.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads

If it was confirmed already (he never said anything about Starfield), why is there still so much confusion? Why does some idiot like Grubb needs to "confirm" it with some vague sources?

Because MS is still vague...
No. Has nothing to do with MS. Has everything to do with fanboys in denial and being willfully daft, though ..

Pull n Pray

Banned
Sony and MS both need exclusives to entice people to buy their consoles, but exclusives don't provide any tangible benefits to people who already own the consoles. Psychologically, they make you feel as if you made a wise purchase. And of course they give you ammo in console fanboy debates. But as someone who plans to buy both consoles, I would much prefer if Sony and MS competed by adding games to Game Pass or PS+NOW. That provides a tangible benefit to me.

tmlDan

That's an opinion, even though i don't agree with, that's completely legit. Now there are some people that were all excited for Bethesda games and now they are shit.
Of course you can still like it, but I don't think outdated combat and unacceptable crashes and bugs is an opinion.

It's something they haven't progressed on since Fallout 3, mind you that came out in 2008 so its understandable for people not to trust them. If people think they are shit only because they were acquired by MS then they're stupid trolls not worth giving any recognition.

Ozzie666

Honestly, I'm more interested in their take on Indiana Jones and if that's exclusive or not.

No idea what Star Field is even at this point.

Woops, typo fixed!

Last edited:

Brofist

With MS saying games will be first or best on Xbox.
That they will fulfill prior contract obligations.
And not giving a actual list of what is or isn't *exclusive*
They been QUIET.

Leaves a few possible scenarios.
There are some possible scenarios I agree.
None include releasing future games on PlayStation systems.

No worries tho, dig out your PC from your PC gaming glory days and you’ll be able to play them.

There's a wide gulf between it will be everywhere GP is, and that it will only be where GP is. Can you provide a link to the statement where they allegedly said it will only be where GP is?
Phil Spencer quote “If you’re an Xbox customer, the thing I want you to know is that this is about delivering great exclusive games for you that ship on platforms where Game Pass exists,” said Spencer. “That’s our goal, that’s why we’re doing this, that’s the root of this partnership that we’re building.”

source https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/11/...ame-pass-exclusive-games-phil-spencer-comment

it cannot be any clear than that the head of xbox himself said it why are we still having this exclusive discussion lol

quest

Not Banned from OT
Those same xbox fans were constantly crying when Sony invested in a studio, but now that Microsoft is doing it flat out, there is nothing to worry about it.
I don't remember any out rage over insomniac. That would be the last purchase by Sony. I hope they buy Housemarque and bluepoint good fits better use money for people who buy a ps5.

Last edited:

NickFire

Phil Spencer quote “If you’re an Xbox customer, the thing I want you to know is that this is about delivering great exclusive games for you that ship on platforms where Game Pass exists,” said Spencer. “That’s our goal, that’s why we’re doing this, that’s the root of this partnership that we’re building.”

source https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/11/...ame-pass-exclusive-games-phil-spencer-comment

it cannot be any clear than that the head of xbox himself said it why are we still having this exclusive discussion lol
I know the quote, and that's why I believe the games will be exclusive unless Sony has already cut a deal pre-purchase. But with all due respect, that quote is far from a guarantee that any particular title(s) or franchises will be exclusive and will stay exclusive. And that is why I bristle when people claim it's been settled already.

S0ULZB0URNE

All not contractually bound. But you know that already and just chose to shitpost.
So everyone is aware of all of the contractually bound games?

What are the games that will be 1st on Xbox or play best on Xbox that MS was referring to?

Cause the two titles we know about are 1st on PS.

NickFire

So everyone is aware of all of the contractually bound games?

What are the games that will be 1st on Xbox or play best on Xbox that MS was referring to?

Cause the two titles we know about are 1st on PS.
I'm surprised no one is trying to answer your second question. And it's a good one. Why claim 1st or better if everything is exclusive outside of timed PS exclusives?

Perhaps they just mean Switch?

S0ULZB0URNE

I'm surprised no one is trying to answer your second question. And it's a good one. Why claim 1st or better if everything is exclusive outside of timed PS exclusives?

Perhaps they just mean Switch?

This is what they said...

"Microsoft wants future Bethesda games to be “either first or better or best” on Xbox platforms, a senior executive has said."

Guess one day we will find out what they meant.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
It's MS telling what they are going to do.
Are you just mentally blocking out sht you don't want to know or aren't willing to accept? The way you stay in denial is starting to creep me out. You've been given numerous links, and still, you keep pretending like it's the same old story and the message is still confusing. It isn't. It hasn't been for a while now.

If GP is on your device, you'll see Bethesda games - aside from contracted deals for the two games we've known about for months on PS5.

If it's not, you won't. How much clearer can it be?? Since when is sharing a $7.5 billion acquisition with your competition where the smart money is?? This is what you're actually suggesting will happen. And it's daft AF.

Last edited:

yurinka

Notice he says "that ship on", not "that ship only on".

So when he says "exclusive" he can mean "timed console exclusives that will be day one on GP", something that would match with his words of supporting existing communities on other platforms, and the Xbox CFO statements about their strategy with Bethesda is going to focus on 'first or best' on Xbox.

That's a statement that pre dated the deal being finalized. and no i didn't look at the link.
No, the deal was made in September 2020 and that Xbox CFO quote is from November 2020.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Notice he says "that ship on", not "that ship only on".

So when he says "exclusive" he can mean "timed console exclusives that will be day one on GP", something that would match with his words of supporting existing communities on other platforms, and the Xbox CFO statements about their strategy with Bethesda is going to focus on 'first or best' on Xbox.

No, the deal was made in September 2020 and that Xbox CFO quote is from November 2020.
Deal was finalized in march.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I'd say anything about exclusives were lies until the deal was finalised. Maybe saying full exclusives could have fucked the deal. If it is timed exclusive, MS paid for a year long time exclusivity because they made a rams arse out of their first party next gen releases. 7.5 billion for third party time exclusives should put an end to Phil Spencer. Keep them exclusives except for online subscription games to keep engagement high.

How does the likes of FO76 work? Isn't that subscription or is it playable on Gamepass?

Last edited:

Pull n Pray

Banned
I'd say anything about exclusives were lies until the deal was finalised. Maybe saying full exclusives could have fucked the deal. If it is timed exclusive, MS paid for a year long time exclusivity because they made a rams arse out of their first party next gen releases. 7.5 billion for third party time exclusives should put an end to Phil Spencer. Keep them exclusives except for online subscription games to keep engagement high.

How does the likes of FO76 work? Isn't that subscription or is it playable on Gamepass?
Are you unaware that Microsoft purchased Bethesda? They aren’t buying third-party exclusivity. Bethesda is first party.

When more than the two known Zenimax games release on other platforms you will see.

There may be contractual obligations for those other games in the future we don't know about yet. Will you count DLC and additional content for existing contracted games such as Deathloop and Ghostwire? Will you count the next gen upgrade for Doom Eternal? The main point I think is that the biggest releases that everybody is most likely to go crazy over, future Fallout singleplayer games, Starfield, the next Elder Scrolls, the next Doom, are likely to be console exclusive to Xbox.

And I imagine some of them going to other platforms, like maybe Nintendo platforms, but just not PlayStation 5. Indiana Jones could be another game that could end up multi-platform also due to contractual reasons.

Please reread my earlier comment. If they are still putting Bethesda games on PS at a later date, they wasted 7.5 billion on what effectively becomes permanent third party timed exclusives. That isn't worth 7.5 billion.

I genuinely don't see that happening. Microsoft bought Bethesda to make them a full fledged Xbox first party operation. I'm sure they considered release first on Xbox and then release later on PlayStation strategy at one time, but then, predictably, realized the significance and value of console gamers not being able to get at those games outside the Xbox eco-system. The opportunity of driving more to Game Pass is simply too high to pass on.

elliot5

Wdym? It's on game pass. It's not a f2p game with a sub. It's like ESO, it's a paid game with an optional sub for perks.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Remember guys,

exclusive to playstation means=“another one” “for the players!” “Greatness awaits!”, and antonio banderas gifs, and “its historically associated with playstation!!!”

exclusive to microsofts ecosysteam means=“I hate money hats!!!” “They are consolidating the industry!” And lots of port begging.

did i do it right?

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
I genuinely don't see that happening. Microsoft bought Bethesda to make them a full fledged Xbox first party operation. I'm sure they considered release first on Xbox and then release later on PlayStation strategy at one time, but then, predictably, realized the significance and value of console gamers not being able to get at those games outside the Xbox eco-system. The opportunity of driving more to Game Pass is simply too high to pass on.
I said this one and I say it again,

building gaming studios from 0 is hard but easier to maintain them and grown

buying big gaming studios is easy but harder to maintain.

so that already poses some questions for the future.

because buying a big gaming publisher and make it exclusive and “hope” it drives console sales are not a good business move.
But then again this is MS we are talking, they are very unpredictable and contrary to popular believe the Xbox division doesn’t have big pockets of money

Microsoft bought multiple expensive AAA studios that make AAA games. Timed exclusives like Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo aren't more expensive than buying the entire parent company that owns all the studios that make two of the games you just cited. Microsoft bought not just Ghostwire and Deathloop for life, they bought all future AAAs from both studios.

Sony likely spent much less than the $229 million they spent to acquire Insomniac on those two deals combined.

Also, what exactly makes Ghostwire and Deathloop more real AAA than Stalker 2, Crossfire X and The Gunk? Because all 3 look like ambitious takes on whatever game they're each trying to make, and all of them look like they have a pretty solid budget. And if those Xbox publishing deals are true, then that's even more big spending from Microsoft. They probably don't own those potential studios either, although I guess the possibility is certainly there for that to occur, I guess.

Forsythia

Remember guys,

exclusive to playstation means=“another one” “for the players!” “Greatness awaits!”, and antonio banderas gifs, and “its historically associated with playstation!!!”

exclusive to microsofts ecosysteam means=“I hate money hats!!!” “They are consolidating the industry!” And lots of port begging.

did i do it right?
That goes both ways to be honest. Exclusives are only allowed when your favourite platform has them.

I said this one and I say it again,

building gaming studios from 0 is hard but easier to maintain them and grown

buying big gaming studios is easy but harder to maintain.

so that already poses some questions for the future.

because buying a big gaming publisher and make it exclusive and “hope” it drives console sales are not a good business move.
But then again this is MS we are talking, they are very unpredictable and contrary to popular believe the Xbox division doesn’t have big pockets of money

Harder to maintain Bethesda? I disagree strongly. They kept all of Bethesda's management and publishing operation fully intact. Bethesda will manage Bethesda as Bethesda has always done with strong support from Xbox and Microsoft. This will be much easier to maintain compared to any prior gaming acquisition Microsoft has ever done. Microsoft didn't just buy Zenimax/Bethesda for xbox console sales, they bought them to grow Xbox, yes, but more importantly Game Pass and the Xbox eco-system altogether. And you can pretty much guarantee it will do all of those things once the big guns start releasing.

Top Bottom