• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for Scorcese's "Silence" hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was pretty good.

A third of the way in, it did start to feel slightly weary with the characters going back and forth from village to village, and I started to wonder if it would pick up.

But it did, and there were some powerful moments. The lack of musical score was really striking, in a good way. It complemented the deliberating pace of the movie.

Well worth a watch. I'd give it 4/5.

Kraftwerk

Saw it yesterday, and it made me emotional.

Liked the first half more than the second half.

I'll probably watch again, need to digest it some more.

kswiston

I think it's set for January 6, but I suspect it won't be a super wide release.

After the box office results this weekend, anyone who wants to see Silence in theatres should do so now. It's not going to stick around long (or get much in the way of further expansions).

Wollan

I wrote a small review:
Just saw Silence.
For a good long stretch this movie is very thrilling.
A couple of pacing issues overall that could have been handled better in
that they should have built up the journey and foreboding of going to Japan instead of making it there instantly
and
the last third of the movie loses its drive a bit and becomes a bit preachy
but it's thorough from end to end.
Andrew Garfield did an excellent job and Adam Driver similarly though he didn't have as much screen time as I was hoping for. The full Japanese casting from the villagers to the inquisitors were all seriously terrific. Everything shown on camera production wise felt genuine and it likely was. What I will remember best is the totally believable and intense, very personal, interactions between the priests and the locals and the constant feeling of impending danger.

Biske

A hell of a movie.

It's a long one and you feel it at times, almost your own personal torture to join in with the movie, for that reason I dig it.

Not a lot of movies leave me with some real lasting philosophical questions and this one certainly did.

Josh5890

Saw it with my brother today. It does drag a little bit at parts but it is very good. The acting is superb. And yes, that last scene is
powerful

Saw it last weekend.

I think I enjoyed it? Hard to say. Beautifully shot, though.

I have a hard time recommending it to others, though. You really have to know what you're getting into. It can be real slow at times.

Matsukaze

Saw it this past weekend.

The beginning of the movie takes ages to get going, but once the story gained steam, I found it pretty enjoyable. At times, the message got a little too heavy-handed and it was hard to not roll my eyes at some of the dialogue, but overall the acting was great and the cinematography was fantastic.

RocknRola

Question for those that have seen it (and possibly just answer with yes/no so as to not detail anything in particular):

Is there any Portuguese spoken in this film?
Is there any Japanese spoken in this film?

The movie will find it's box office legs here in Taiwan, since it was shot here. Hasn't opened yet. Most people will see it out of curiosity alone (the country was buzzing with anticipation while the production was rolling here).

It's my favorite Scorcese film since Gangs of New York.

i enjoyed Departed and Wolf of Wall Street the most from him this century but I think overall this might be my favorite Scorsese film since the 90s. It's just really emotionally taxing though but god damn was it an impressive film.

Its something I'm gonna think about for a while too, especially with where it leaves Garfield's character towards the end. And his conversation with Neeson was amazing.

RocknRola

i enjoyed Departed and Wolf of Wall Street the most from him this century but I think overall this might be my favorite Scorsese film since the 90s. It's just really emotionally taxing though but god damn was it an impressive film.

Its something I'm gonna think about for a while too, especially with where it leaves Garfield's character towards the end. And his conversation with Neeson was amazing.

Do you mean Father """Fewreiwra"""? :D That's all I remember from the trailer. Bloody "Fewreiwra" lol

Sanjuro

Question for those that have seen it (and possibly just answer with yes/no so as to not detail anything in particular):

No to the first. If there is, it's something quick or I don't recall. It's mainly just the character's background.

Very much of the latter.

RocknRola

No to the first. If there is, it's something quick or I don't recall. It's mainly just the character's background.

Very much of the latter.

Well, ain't that some BS >.> What gives Scorsese? Realism just for the Asian side of things? Booooo!

The movie will find it's box office legs here in Taiwan, since it was shot here. Hasn't opened yet. Most people will see it out of curiosity alone (the country was buzzing with anticipation while the production was rolling here).

Interesting enough, I read this article yesterday somewhat relevant but speaking more broadly about Taiwan's movie industry and the affects China may have due to their market hold in Hollywood.

Martin Scorsese’s Silence Is a Win for Taiwan but Producers Are Worried About a China Backlash

Saw it last night. Loved the filmmaking of it, even the slower parts. But I kept waffling between thinking Garfield was awful and perfect. I think he nailed the scenes he needed to nail, which might be more than enough.

Loved Driver though. I kinda wish he was the lead, but I think Scoresese was right to cast Garfield for the Jesus look he brings.

Anyway, I look forward to watching the movie again sometime.

Ridley327

Well, ain't that some BS >.> What gives Scorsese? Realism just for the Asian side of things? Booooo!

I imagine that if there were investors out there that would have been OK with the film being mostly in Portuguese, it would have happened. Considering that financing was walking on eggshells for so many years, I don't blame Scorsese one bit for going this way if meant getting the film done at all.

Marvelous film, by the way. It's definitely Scorsese's least commercial film in a long time, but you can tell just how much he emotionally invested in this. It's tough, brutal and leaves a lot on the viewer to figure out for themselves, and I don't think it could have worked as well as it does any other way.

RocknRola

I imagine that if there were investors out there that would have been OK with the film being mostly in Portuguese, it would have happened. Considering that financing was walking on eggshells for so many years, I don't blame Scorsese one bit for going this way if meant getting the film done at all.

Marvelous film, by the way. It's definitely Scorsese's least commercial film in a long time, but you can tell just how much he emotionally invested in this. It's tough, brutal and leaves a lot on the viewer to figure out for themselves, and I don't think it could have worked as well as it does any other way.

I don't even need it to be mostly in Portuguese, just you know, have *some* of it around lol I mean, considering the characters are supposed to be Portuguese and all (+ it's based on real historical story). Dunno. Feels odd to have the Japanese be, well, Japanese and the Portuguese be...............English? Or whatever.

Ah well. Gonna go watch it tomorrow. Should still be good, just kinda wanted to know that bit before hand :p

Ridley327

I don't even need it to be mostly in Portuguese, just you know, have *some* of it around lol I mean, considering the characters are supposed to be Portuguese and all (+ it's based on real historical story). Dunno. Feels odd to have the Japanese be, well, Japanese and the Portuguese be...............English? Or whatever.

Ah well. Gonna go watch it tomorrow. Should still be good, just kinda wanted to know that bit before hand :p

The best way to describe it is that as far as the characters hear it, they are talking in Portuguese, as well as reference to the fact that they are speaking it. Have you ever seen The Hunt for Red October? It works a bit like that.

The best way to describe it is that as far as the characters hear it, they are talking in Portuguese, as well as reference to the fact that they are speaking it. Have you ever seen The Hunt for Red October? It works a bit like that.
The other characters refer to learning Portuguese etc. Sure, they could have had Portuguese actors (I might have preferred it, honestly), but the movie isn't really about them being Portuguese so much as being Christian.

Sanjuro

It would have been distracting IMO. I don't want to give much away, but the narrative doesn't leave much room to insert anything related to their heritage. Which in all honesty says a lot about the run time and how much emotional impact the existing scenes hit you with.

It's not a complicated film.

RJT

Basically everything said in Portuguese becomes English in the movie. Other languages (mostly Japanese, but also Latin) remain the same.

Honestly, the way it was handled was fine. The film is a success in Portugal (the room I was at was full), so no one took it the wrong way. They wouldn't be able to cast enough actors speaking proper Portuguese anyway...

RocknRola

Can't say that I have, no :)

The other characters refer to learning Portuguese etc. Sure, they could have had Portuguese actors (I might have preferred it, honestly), but the movie isn't really about them being Portuguese so much as being Christian.

Fair enough. Though at that point (if the story really focuses much more on that than anything else) they probably should have just removed the language "handicap", per say. Have them be British and speak normally (at least from the trailer they seem to have some kind of accent going on).

It would have been distracting IMO. I don't want to give much away, but the narrative doesn't leave much room to insert anything related to their heritage. Which in all honesty says a lot about the run time and how much emotional impact the existing scenes hit you with.

It's not a complicated film.

Distracting in what way? Was hearing Japanese distracting? Or Latin (apparently)? I feel that argument falls a bit on it's face when there are already several languages being used. Though given that it was produced first and foremost with English speaking audiences in mind (and likely with American funding in particular) I can understand why the protagonists would only speak English. For that I don't really fault them, it's part of the deal, basically.

Basically everything said in Portuguese becomes English in the movie. Other languages (mostly Japanese, but also Latin) remain the same.

Honestly, the way it was handled was fine. The film is a success in Portugal (the room I was at was full), so no one took it the wrong way. They wouldn't be able to cast enough actors speaking proper Portuguese anyway...

??

Like extras and secondary actors? Doubt that they couldn't. Portugal does have more actors that Hot Jesus :p Would they have made the cut for film in terms of quality? Now that's a better question. Maybe, maybe not. Hot Jesus (lol) did a decent job with the chance he was given.

---

And to be clear, this is not a knock on the film which I will be watching tomorrow. It's just odd and somewhat disappointing they didn't try to go that extra mile (when they even went as far as getting an actual Japanese cast too), but it's also understandable (to a point).

Sanjuro

Distracting in what way? Was hearing Japanese distracting? Or Latin (apparently)? I feel that argument falls a bit on it's face when there are already several languages being used. Though given that it was produced first and foremost with English speaking audiences in mind (and likely with American funding in particular) I can understand why the protagonists would only speak English. For that I don't really fault them, it's part of the deal, basically.

Because when you see the film, being Portuguese really doesn't amount to anything. They are Christian above all else.

RocknRola

Because when you see the film, being Portuguese really doesn't amount to anything. They are Christian above all else.

Will have to come back to you tomorrow on that, but from the outside in that argument doesn't do much for me. Especially so since I know they bothered being correct on the other fronts, regarding language.

Helmholtz

Saw it this past weekend.

The beginning of the movie takes ages to get going, but once the story gained steam, I found it pretty enjoyable. At times, the message got a little too heavy-handed and it was hard to not roll my eyes at some of the dialogue, but overall the acting was great and the cinematography was fantastic.
I have pretty much the same opinion regarding the heavy-handedness and cinematography. However I liked the early parts and later parts the most, and found that it dragged a bit somewhere in the middle section and had some repetitive scenes.
I really think this movie would have been a lot better if we got Benicio and DDL. I did like Driver's performance. But Garfield's was lacking. It was good, but it wasn't great. I can just picture how incredible someone like DDL would be in the role (assuming he was supposed to play Garfield's character).

Addi

I have pretty much the same opinion regarding the heavy-handedness and cinematography. However I liked the early parts and later parts the most, and found that it dragged a bit somewhere in the middle section and had some repetitive scenes.
I really think this movie would have been a lot better if we got Benicio and DDL. I did like Driver's performance. But Garfield's was lacking. It was good, but it wasn't great. I can just picture how incredible someone like DDL would be in the role (assuming he was supposed to play Garfield's character).

DDL would have been Neeson's character, Gael Garcia Bernal would have been Garfield's.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Saw the movie today. I really enjoyed it, but I didn't like the message it seemed to want to deliver. Or maybe how it delivered it?
I wasn't sure if that was meant to be the narration of god himself, or in Garfield's mind. Regardless, I think the movie would have been a lot more powerful without the god narrator. Keep the same exact scenes, just remove the audio. 'Silence.' I think that would not only make the message stronger but also exemplify the faith of those pastors.

Saw the movie today. I really enjoyed it, but I didn't like the message it seemed to want to deliver. Or maybe how it delivered it?
I wasn't sure if that was meant to be the narration of god himself, or in Garfield's mind. Regardless, I think the movie would have been a lot more powerful without the god narrator. Keep the same exact scenes, just remove the audio. 'Silence.' I think that would not only make the message stronger but also exemplify the faith of those pastors.

the voice of God was that of Ciaran Hinds who we saw earlier in the movie who sent him and Adam Driver on their mission. So that likely was the spiritual voice in his head. As he tried to justify his argument with God. Otherwise I think they wouldn't have made it a point to reuse the actor for that voice

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
the voice of God was that of Ciaran Hinds who we saw earlier in the movie who sent him and Adam Driver on their mission. So that likely was the spiritual voice in his head. As he tried to justify his argument with God. Otherwise I think they wouldn't have made it a point to reuse the actor for that voice

Thank you. I did not notice that at all. That is a key thing I missed.

Helmholtz

DDL would have been Neeson's character, Gabriel Garcia Bernal would have been Garfield's.
Ah okay, wasn't sure about that. I actually liked Neeson a lot in his role. I just felt like Garfield's performance could have been better delivered by a more skilled actor.

jett

D-Member
I thought Garfield was pretty good here.

Gael García Bernal would've been amazing though.

This movie was good, although I wasn't blown away by its narrative, it is definitely worth watching. The non-use of music was interesting, gave a more naturalistic vibe to the film. At times it reminded me of something like Aguirre although less picturesque.

Ah okay, wasn't sure about that. I actually liked Neeson a lot in his role. I just felt like Garfield's performance could have been better delivered by a more skilled actor.

Honestly I think Garfield was the best man for that part. The character was so naive and trusting and then put through the wringer. It's something I think he has mastered in a bunch of his previous roles.

Adam Driver would not have suited that lead role imo, he worked better as the more hard headed personality. Benicio del Toro was prolly set to play that a while back

DDL would have crushed it in the neeson role but I think Liam did a good job. Basically I really liked all 3 actors, and for Andrew in particular I can't really think of a replacement who could have portrayed that character.

Helmholtz

At times it reminded me of something like Aguirre although less picturesque.
Yes! It reminded me of Aguirre too. Felt kind of old school and slow paced, and yes the lack of music was noted. I kind of dug those elements tbh, it's not too common nowadays in major motion pictures.
Honestly I think Garfield was the best man for that part. The character was so naive and trusting and then put through the wringer. It's something I think he has mastered in a bunch of his previous roles.

Adam Driver would not have suited that lead role imo, he worked better as the more hard headed personality. Benicio del Toro was prolly set to play that a while back

DDL would have crushed it in the neeson role but I think Liam did a good job. Basically I really liked all 3 actors, and for Andrew in particular I can't really think of a replacement who could have portrayed that character.
Hmm yeah, like I said I didn't think he was bad, I just didn't think his performance was great enough to carry such a long film. It didn't really captivate me. I enjoyed other aspects of the movie a lot more than him, but he was on screen for most of the film. There were also a few scenes with him yelling, and the one of him
laughing hysterically with the water reflection
that were borderline bad. I felt like a better actor might have been able to do those scenes justice, but honestly they were a little clumsy and on the nose to begin with so maybe not Garfield's fault.

i could picture a younger leonardo in the garfield role

was fine with garfield though

liam was good too made me wish he got better roles instead of all those dumb action movies.. the first taken was fine but jeez

RocknRola

So finally saw it. Pretty damn good.

My only real dislike was the very final scene to be honest. Felt a bit too heavy handed, I think the previous scenes made a very good/clear implication of what it was without the need to actually show it. The middle part of the movie was indeed quite slow, though I think that definitely helped illustrate just how much the character had to go through and that comes into play later when he has to make up his choice about his faith.

I liked it, even though I'm not religious in any way.

Coming back to this, I honestly sitll disagree. Again, it doesn't make or break the film for me, not by a long shot, but it would have been a nice touch. The easiest way to have it work would be to have them speak Portuguese amongst themselves and "translated English" for everything else. In short, exactly what they did with the Japanese characters.

Maybe it's just me being a bit picky (it is my own language after all) but I honestly don't think it would that much of ask, considering how perfectly everything else was handled.

PS: I'm 24 and I think I was pretty much the youngest dude at the cinema watching this film lol Everyone else looked to be in their 30's/40's, from what I glanced. I thought I was past the age of being the youngest at public events of any kind hehe

Sanjuro

That's fine. It didn't really bother me personally. They really could have been almost any nationality, and the narrative would still have been Christians in Japan.

My theater was pretty mixed in terms of demographic.

Toothless

Silence is a stunning achievement. Scorsese's most recent epic features absolutely stellar quality in every aspect. The cinematography paints a beautiful image that the exquisite sound design (that utilizes silence itself in a perfectly troubling way) harmonizes with in a truly phenomenal way. Schoonmaker's editing makes a three-hour long film feel like the epic it should be without any dull moments or sequences. The script really is the star though, diving into deep themes about faith and Christianity.

Garfield delivers his best performance yet as Rodrigues. A wonderfully faceted performance that moves profoundly through emotion and action, it's incredible. Of the English speaking cast, Neeson also impresses in a small role that feels more world-weary than anything he's done before. However, it's the Japanese ensemble cast that really shines, with Asano and Ogata being highlights. Yet, it's Kubozuka who really stands out in the ensemble, making a character that could easily be a caricature one of the film's most defined characters.

Scorsese's work on Silence is monumental. The fact that the film exists is impressive, but even more so is how it tackles Christianity, doubt, and what it truly means to be faithful. It has been called a passion project of Scorsese's, and it's easy to see why. This is a film full of passion and love despite the harrowing moments it portrays. Silence is a spectacular epic, a truly unforgettable film, and an absolute treasure to watch.

RJT

??

Like extras and secondary actors? Doubt that they couldn't. Portugal does have more actors that Hot Jesus :p Would they have made the cut for film in terms of quality? Now that's a better question. Maybe, maybe not. Hot Jesus (lol) did a decent job with the chance he was given.

Hot Jesus is a lousy actor though... I can think of a few portuguese actors that are good enough to work with Scorcese, but why make a niche film even more obscure? I'm just happy to have a good story in Portuguese history told by one of the greatest directors ever.

RocknRola

Hot Jesus is a lousy actor though... I can think of a few portuguese actors that are good enough to work with Scorcese, but why make a niche film even more obscure? I'm just happy to have a good story in Portuguese history told by one of the greatest directors ever.

See, I think this perhaps stems from a different view/standpoint in regards to what we may consider the importance of language. To me, my language is (and will likely forever be, until the day I die) my foremost identifier of where I come from, what "my" culture, "my" history, of my roots really (as much as these things can belong to any individual).

I can change the country in which I live, the friends I have, my looks, learn new languages and be moderately proficient at them, but my brain will always think in Portuguese. It'll always remind me I'm Portuguese. Heck I may even lose the ability to speak regular Portuguese like many immigrants do, after a lifetime of living abroad. Yet, even they won't lose that one connection to their "roots" that is their mother language until the day they die.

This is maybe why I'm so damn picky with this stuff, it is the best and strongest gift my country has given me. I very much feel that in this case Portuguese could have easily been used without alienating more people than the whole concept and executation already does. I mean, I enjoyed it immensily but it's not hard to imagine how a movie based on the whole concept of faith (actual faith to a very literal and crude sense of the word, that I think isn't that common these days), about a particular religion, told in a very "real" way (as in, it's not of those feel good Christian movies) and that has some 30%-40% (perhaps slightly more) of it's entire dialogue spoken in Japanese could alienate a big chunk of the Western in general.

Though I do wonder if the reactions of it "not mattering" would be the same if there was zero Japanese spoken in the film. Kinda feel it would warrant some discussion. Which is the only thing that bothers me in this whole thing, they did the very much right thing to have the Japanese speak their own native language. And while the actors aren't Portuguese, they could have still spoken it in the exact same situations Japanese was used (amongst themselves, only).

Again, I understand why it didn't happen and respect it, especially so with it being a foreign production and all. Plus it's a reeeeaaaaaalllllllyyyyyy damn good movie too, so that helps a whole lot :p

But yeah. That's where I stand on the issue and it bugs me a bit, but not to the point where I for example won't buy the Bluray when it comes out lol

PS: Hot Jesus is Hot Jesus because that is the only remotely decent role he has ever performed and will be Hot Jesus until the end of his career (or a new Hot Jesus shows up).

duckroll

I'm really looking forward to this opening here. I read the book recently and loved it. Deeply personal and very reflective on the journey of faith and doubt, and sheds some great light on the less glamorous aspects of missionary work and the selfishness that can come from it. I hope Scorcese managed to capture the tone of the book well. For those who have seen it, does it justify the 161 minute runtime? That's the only thing that has me a little concerned because it seems really long for what the story is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom