• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 02•05-07•16 - no Chinese or Martians = FAIL, Caesar! 4 Coens, TFA hits 2B WW

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
The Revenant making back it's budget domestically and bringing in 300 million worldwide? Pro and Innaritu stay winning.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
It will be very interesting to see how World War: Z 2 performs since the first did so well financially ($540M).

Film could be a major play in China but Brad Pitt films (Tibet controversy) are banned there so I'll be extremely surprised if it surpasses the original's gross.

Tobor

I sort of wonder if getting 16 episodes a year of the Walking Dead, plus all of those lesser Zombie shows is enough to satisfy most genre fans. Why spend $10 going to see basically the same shit (or a spoof of it), unless it's coming with the sort of budget that allows for visuals you can't do on TV?

For me, I like that TWD is well past the origin phase. Most zombie movies start at the beginning of an outbreak and focus on characters that are figuring out about the zombies. It's old at this point.

I'd like to see a movie take place deep into an outbreak, but that's exactly what TWD is right now.

As for PP and Z, I think the problem is more Jane Austen than Zombies. People who read books get the joke, but movie going teens aren't going to care. Zombieland is how you bring in teens, not Jane Austen parody.

And that is a goddamn shame.

It's not as surprising as it could be, though. Most of the enthusiast entertainment press got into the business specifically to violate the Lester Bangs rule. It's kinda why you even have a "film twitter" to begin with: A bunch of boys who got their jobs after arguing with each other/cliquing up on messageboards are now a bunch of boys yelling at each other/cliquing up on Twitter.

Progress is all well and good, and tough conversations about that progress are laudable and interesting. Until you fuck with my ability to watch Raising Arizona guilt-free.

cj_iwakura

That's not gonna happen. I bet the next person to try and bring up the Yamato interview gets both barrels just as bad.

Not that there's likely to be a next person, because Film Twitter has circled the wagons HARD around those bros.

I'm not following what this is about.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates

The Revenant - $336M
Creed - $167.5M
The Peanuts Movie - $245M
Joy - $98M
The Martian - $605M
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip - $171M
Kung Fu Panda 3 - $198M (Over $170M of that is Domestic + China)
The Fifth Wave - $84M

I think the Revenant will end up near or over $400M. Unless I am reading things wrong on IMDB, it still has France and Japan to open in. Leo seems to do well in France.

Less that <$200 million after two weekends in China and the US is kind of a disaster for Kung Fu Panda, right? The second one made almost $700 million.

Abounder

Banned
Eh. Rocky Balboa made 85M overseas and Creed's foreign rollout is very slow. It's sitting at almost 60M.

85M back in 2006, the dom/foreign split is lopsided where Creed won't even come close to the franchise's 55%+ foreign take. It hasn't broken into the mid 40's yet and has no major releases remaining, but yea overall it's great for Creed

Southpaw and The Fighter actually did worse (30-40 million) despite an all-white cast.

Touche. But they weren't part of a franchise with 55%+ foreign numbers at the box office, and Southpaw will still likely finish with a 5+ point advantage over Creed. It would be unsurprising if studios look at Creed's numbers only to say that overseas audiences are still racist.

kswiston

Less that <$200 million after two weekends in China and the US is kind of a disaster for Kung Fu Panda, right? The second one made almost $700 million.

This one is only out in those two countries, South Korea, and Russia (plus a few smaller Russian language countries).

China is already $10M past the KFP2's $92M total. This weekend was hurt by the Lunar holiday, but it should do well in the next week. I'd say $140-150M total in China. Maybe more. Russia's box office is a bit of a mess due to exchange rates. South Korea is seeing slower performance than KFP3, but not by a ton.

Angel_DvA

Creed's foreign numbers seems pathetic, overseas audiences really are racist

WTF are you talking about ? Before calling people racists, you should ask what type of marketing the movie had in some of those countries, there was no marketing for this movie where I live, not one of my friends/co-workers/family etc... Knew what the movie was about.

Only the first trailer was translated in my birth language and only a few cinemas shows it, I saw it and it was good but not the kind of movie to see 3,4 or 5 times in a row.

gamz

85M back in 2006, the dom/foreign split is lopsided where Creed won't even come close to the franchise's 55%+ foreign take. It hasn't broken into the mid 40's yet and has no major releases remaining, but yea overall it's great for Creed

Touche. But they weren't part of a franchise with 55%+ foreign numbers at the box office, and Southpaw will still likely finish with a 5+ point advantage over Creed. It would be unsurprising if studios look at Creed's numbers only to say that overseas audiences are still racist.

Comparing the foreign totals of RB and Creed and it's hard to deny. Although Stallone is a bigger foreign boxoffice star then Jordan. That's the only thing I can think of.

kswiston

Rocky IV and V had overseas shares over 55% as well. That was also 25-30 years ago when overseas was not nearly as strong.

andthebeatgoeson

Star Wars gonna get that asterisk? Gonna be an annoying year of hearing how it's really #2 all time and they just need to re-release it. I hope this doesn't happen.

border

But they weren't part of a franchise with 55%+ foreign numbers at the box office, and Southpaw will still likely finish with a 5+ point advantage over Creed. It would be unsurprising if studios look at Creed's numbers only to say that overseas audiences are still racist.

Comparing the foreign totals of RB and Creed and it's hard to deny. Although Stallone is a bigger foreign boxoffice star then Jordan. That's the only thing I can think of.

I don't think it's fair to expect Creed to perform as well as Rocky, given Michael B. Jordan's newcomer status and Stallone's drastically reduced role in it. Rocky Balboa was an incredible sendoff for one of the most iconic and beloved film heroes of the late 20th century, starring one of the biggest international film stars of the last 40 years. Creed is the beginning of a tertiary story in the same universe -- it's Ant-Man to Rocky's Iron Man.

border

Looking at how other movies with a relatively unknown black lead actor did overseas, I'd actually say that Creed did astoundingly well. Most of Kevin Hart's recent films absolutely tanked on the foreign market. Straight Outta Compton did less than 1/4 of its domestic take.

Why is it that The Walking Dead nets some of the highest ratings on television, but the interest in zombie movies is virtually nothing? They all seem to tank quite quickly.

TWD is popular because it's not about the zombies. Recent zombie movie have all been about the zombie.

Abounder

Banned
Yea Creed's overall numbers are great, but its foreign split is disappointing. At least it'll total greater than The Fantastic Four (although with a reverse dom/foreign split), lol

WTF are you talking about ? Before calling people racists, you should ask what type of marketing the movie had in some of those countries, there was no marketing for this movie where I live, not one of my friends/co-workers/family etc... Knew what the movie was about..

The film industry thinks overseas audiences are racist, specifically for movies that feature urban blacks. Yea marketing could help fight that notion, hopfully it helps Creed 2 get 55% foreign given the amount of flops overseas

Angel_DvA

Looking at how other movies with a relatively unknown black lead actor did overseas, I'd actually say that Creed did astoundingly well. Most of Kevin Hart's recent films absolutely tanked on the foreign market. Straight Outta Compton did less than 1/4 of its domestic take.

The problem is marketing for the most part, like I said earlier, some movies have bad marketing campaign and Creed and SOC are good example here.

The movie isn't called Creed here but Creed: Rocky's legacy, because no one know who he is... The critics were good but not outstanding and he had to go against SW.

Popular actors brings more people to theater too and B Jordan and Kevin Hart are totaly anonymous here. It's not really an excuse because SW did more than 10m entries here and it has Black/Woman/Anonymous leads...

Creed is a good movie, really, but it's mostly a boxing movie, a sport that is dying in is own country and a dead one in the world.

Timbuktu

Holy shit, is China that goddamned salty about Seven Years in Tibet? That was 20 years ago!

But the director of Tibet just did Wolf Totem, which was going to be their oscar submission before being told it's not 'Chinese' enough, decent movie too.

gamz

The problem is marketing for the most part, like I said earlier, some movies have bad marketing campaign and Creed and SOC are good example here.

The movie isn't called Creed here but Creed: Rocky's legacy, because no one know who he is... The critics were good but not outstanding and he had to go against SW.

Popular actors brings more people to theater too and B Jordan and Kevin Hart are totaly anonymous here. It's not really an excuse because SW did more than 10m entries here and it has Black/Woman/Anonymous leads...

Creed is a good movie, really, but it's mostly a boxing movie, a sport that is dying in is own country and a dead one in the world.

The sport isn't dying. It's still the premier sport for big fights, the issue is there's no boxers. Don't hate the game, hate the players.

kswiston

I think it's a bit of Chicken and Egg thing with black lead/majority black cast movies overseas. I have no doubt that a lot of them resonate better with American audiences (especially something like Straight Outta Compton which is very American). As such, distributors don't push the movies as hard overseas, which leads to them not making much overseas, which leads to distributors not pushing subsequent movies as hard.

Rocky is an established brand though, so I think Creed should have been given more of an international push.

B.K.

I'm glad Hail, Caesar is out so I won't have to see the shitty TV spot a dozen times a hour when I watch Adult Swim or Comedy Central.

numble

This one is only out in those two countries, South Korea, and Russia (plus a few smaller Russian language countries).

China is already $10M past the KFP2's $92M total. This weekend was hurt by the Lunar holiday, but it should do well in the next week. I'd say $140-150M total in China. Maybe more.

It has a lot of competition as all the major local films are coming out now (Chinese New Year on Monday was biggest day in Chinese box office history) and is under 5% of screens. Seems like it will struggle to get to $140 million.

-griffy-

Banned
Will Star Wars finally get bumped out of the top 5 with Deadpool & Zoolander No. 2 dropping this Friday?

Seems like it'll be a battle for 5th place between Revenant and TFA. EDIT: Unless How To Be Single is a thing too, but I have no sense of what that'll do.

I can't speak for other countries but here in Australia creed didn't receive a huge push at all. Furious 7 seems to show that overseas audiences are fairly receptive to non white actors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom