• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 02•05-07•16 - no Chinese or Martians = FAIL, Caesar! 4 Coens, TFA hits 2B WW

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

It might be worth looking at Kingsman's legs from last year for an idea of how Deadpool will play out for the rest of February/March.

I don't know how useful it is. Kingsman did over 3x its 4-day opening. If variety is in the right ballpark with their $130M 4-day opening, Deadpool would make close to $400M with the same legs.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I wonder what Fox's reaction will be when their $58 million dollar R-rated comedy by a first time director outgrosses their actual X-men tentpole PG-13 blockbuster with a $200 million (I'm guessing?) budget directed by their darling Bryan Singer.

"Deadpool and the X-Men" coming in 2019 directed by Bryan Singer.

Son Of D

It473O5.png

For those who want to see Kingsman's legs. If Deadpool does in fact have legs like that then it'll be one of 2016's biggest successes I'd say.

I don't know how useful it is. Kingsman did over 3x its 4-day opening. If variety is in the right ballpark with their $130M 4-day opening, Deadpool would make close to $400M with the same legs.

I dunno that the numbers being ridiculous makes it not useful, though. Same time period, same style of film, appears to be similar critical receptions and word of mouth. Even has a much bigger superhero film opening in March to compete with.

Lotta that seems to line up. Might be worth keeping an eye on it.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The next 2 week of openers are pretty barren so Deadpool should maintain its first place.

Unless Gods of Egypt performs well

I wonder what Fox's reaction will be when their $58 million dollar R-rated comedy by a first time director outgrosses their actual X-men tentpole PG-13 blockbuster with a $200 million (I'm guessing?) budget directed by their darling Bryan Singer.

The studio will definitely have more money to include more X Men in the sequel.

Well damn. Deadpool cleaning house. Much bigger than I expected it to be. I was thinking maybe $150m final domestic, but it will be there real fast after this weekend. Insane.

Get ready for a flood of newcomers or lurkers in next week's thread. And many trying to do crow threads or posts.

Maybe the title can play on two words that Bobby hates. "Deadpool is no jobber, as Zoolander bombas!"

Fuck. I hate crow posts. That shit is dumb.

I do wholly enjoy anything that irritates Bobby though. Jobberjobberjobberjobber

The sequel's gonna be Cable & Deadpool, and the sequel to that is gonna be X-Force.

I'd bet the mainline X-Men series will take a little break after Apocalypse.

I guessed you missed it but I was just doing a parody of one of the lines from the movie where he breaks the 4th wall.

As for how this lines up with the X Men. I really wonder what they're doing to do about that since Deadpool and Gambit(I presume) will take place in the present while the current X-Men movie will be is still stuck in the past(in the 80s). I know they got these hot young crew of X Men to lead the future of the franchise. But unless they want to make them 40-somethings right away, the franchise will stay stuck in the past.

3N16MA

Banned
I dunno that the numbers being ridiculous makes it not useful, though. Same time period, same style of film, appears to be similar critical receptions and word of mouth. Even has a much bigger superhero film opening in March to compete with.

Lotta that seems to line up. Might be worth keeping an eye on it.

I think Kingsman was more of a slow burn while Deadpool definitely had more hype going in and already had a fanbase previous to this film. It may have a larger % of its total during OW because of that.

That being said I get why you're comparing the two.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Deadpool - $135.0M
2) Kung Fu Panda 3 - $19.6M - $93M total
3) How to be Single - $18.8M
4) Zoolander 2 - $15.7M
5) The Revenant - $6.9M (-0.6%) - $159M total
6) Hail, Caesar! - $6.6M - $21M total
7) Star Wars The Force Awakens - $6.2M (-11%)- $915M total

Surfinn

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Deadpool - $135.0M
2) Kung Fu Panda 3 - $19.6M - $93M total
3) How to be Single - $18.8M
4) Zoolander 2 - $15.7M
5) The Revenant - $6.9M (-0.6%) - $159M total
6) Hail, Caesar! - $6.6M - $21M total
7) Star Wars The Force Awakens - $6.2M (-11%)- $915M total

Wow, -11% for SW? Good hold for Revenant too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom