• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 297: Strickland vs. du Plessis - Toronto - January 20

Who wins: Strickland or du Plessis? Pennington or Bueno Silva? Magny or Malott?

• Strickland, Pennington, Magny.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Strickland, Bueno Silva, Magny.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Strickland, Pennington, Malott.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strickland, Bueno Silva, Malott.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • du Plessis, Pennington, Magny.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • du Plessis, Bueno Silva, Magny.

• du Plessis, Pennington, Malott.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • du Plessis, Bueno Silva, Malott.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It was close, but I'm not so sure du Plessis did enough to take the belt from the champ. It seemed like Strickland's striking was more impactful than du Plessis's fruitless takedowns....but that's UFC scoring for you, I suppose.
yup, been happening in UFC for a while. spilt decisions are not automatically given to the champ like they are in boxing.

Ozriel

M$FT
It was close, but I'm not so sure du Plessis did enough to take the belt from the champ. It seemed like Strickland's striking was more impactful than du Plessis's fruitless takedowns....but that's UFC scoring for you, I suppose.

Didn’t we see stats flash up that showed Dricus Outland him in significant strikes in Round 4, and tied in Round 3?

yup, been happening in UFC for a while. spilt decisions are not automatically given to the champ like they are in boxing.

Fight was nearly an unanimous decision. One judge gave round 3 to Strickland, against all logic and reason.

Kings Field

1,2,5 Strickland

DDP didn’t do enough to win the fight. Takedowns were weak and didn’t amount to anything and his standup was sloppy.

Kind of feel like the scoring was political by two of the judges but oh well.

KrakenIPA

I caught the late rounds (3 4 5), I suppose the takedowns and control time was huge for these judges. I really liked the arena they fought in. I don't think I've seen Strickland bleed so much in a fight. I don't know if DDP 'beat the champ to be the champ', but I think they'll run it back! I hope I'm not at work for the next one!

Edmund

What a good fight man. I thought Strickland was gonna win after round 1 cuz DDP had no answer to those jabs. Really fun and close fight. I hope Adensanya comes back soon to fight DDP. Middleweight is fun again with these 3 and Khamzat Chimaev.

SpiceRacz

tB6QWcc.png

Not gonna argue it was a robbery. The stats kind of tell a different story though. Looked to me like Strickland was either on the very end of, or out of range of a lot of DDP's punches. I wonder if the amount of blood on Strickland's face might have swayed the judges.

Ozriel

M$FT
tB6QWcc.png

Not gonna argue it was a robbery. The stats kind of tell a different story though. Looked to me like Strickland was either on the very end of, or out of range of a lot of DDP's punches. I wonder if the amount of blood on Strickland's face might have swayed the judges.

It wasn’t the blood. You can see that Strickland clearly won rounds 1 and 5. 2 out of 3 judges gave Du Plessis rounds 2,3 and 4 where the striking was close, but DDP added successful takedowns to definitely seal 2 and 4, and round 3 DDP seemed the more active fighter

Kings Field

Takedowns that don’t amount to any type of progress shouldn’t be scored when judging a fight. This isn’t amateur wrestling. I’m a huge grappling fan and wrestled for years myself but giving “points” on takedowns is ridiculous without any type of ground control, submission attempts, gnp etc.

If takedowns alone are counted on judging criteria then escapes should also count.

Fight wasn’t a robbery and was very close. I just don’t see how DDP did enough to win the belt. Kudos to him though.

If they’re gonna give the next shot to Izzy then have Khamzat face killa gorilla as a title eliminator.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think Strickland deserved the win in a tight match. As Dana said, you have to take the belt from the champ and I don't feel like DDP did enough. Congrats still and I think Sean deserves a rematch.

too close to agrue about.

while I agree takedowns aren't as important without control after the takedown, the takedowns did change Strickland's game. he had an erect boxing stance with a highly effective jab in the 1st two rounds but after those takedowns Strickland was in sprawl mode and that new wrestling defense stance took away the sting from Strickland's jab and eliminated the front teep kick.

IMO, Strickland won that last round making it 3-2 Strickland.

Strickland is a bright new star though and hope he negotiates his contract to get paid in the millions (champion or not).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Boxing and MMA should keep going till someone wins. I get it that the commission wants player safety and doesn't want people going for an hour hitting each other. But it would solve all matches with suspect judging.

This kind of sport doesn't even last hours like a pro league basketball or football match. So let them all fight for an extra 10 minutes and someone will win. If both fighters purposely play possum doing nothing then the judge steps in to penalize fighters to call off the match as a draw.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Strickland seemed to rely only on his jab. Not surprised the more varied and aggressive, heavy blow hitting fighter won the decision.
Its entertainment, the more entertaining guy should win, if there is no clear winner or K.O. The fight is the entertaining part, not who wins it...

Toots

Gold Member
Im sad Strickland lost with such a thin margin. Any other champ would have had the nod in his fovour it seems but alas he's too annoying for some people...
He is too easily triggerable true, but he seems like a genuine empathetic fellow (im not kidding, he seems great, as long as you don't trigger him with shitty politics).

Little Mac

Gold Member
I had Strickland winning but it was just too close to argue or be mad with the final decision. It is a little annoying though that the challenger got the belt from a split decision though controversial or not.

Top Bottom