• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 297: Strickland vs. du Plessis - Toronto - January 20

Who wins: Strickland or du Plessis? Pennington or Bueno Silva? Magny or Malott?

• Strickland, Pennington, Magny.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Strickland, Bueno Silva, Magny.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Strickland, Pennington, Malott.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strickland, Bueno Silva, Malott.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • du Plessis, Pennington, Magny.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • du Plessis, Bueno Silva, Magny.

• du Plessis, Pennington, Malott.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • du Plessis, Bueno Silva, Malott.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tommycronin

Banned
It's such a toss up of a fight. Strickland looked amazing against Jizzy but he's a counter striker whereas Dricus is gonna take the fight to Sean. I don't see any possible scenario where it goes to a decision.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I picked Strickland but honestly it’s a toss up. I like the guy but I’m really only basing my pick on how much he dominated Izzy last fight on short notice.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Really hinges on whether Dricus can dominate Strickland in the grappling exchanges.

Sean beat Izzy because ultimately he was trying to beat him standing up with no real submission or wrestling threat to break his rhythm. If Dricus has the cardio to constantly mix it up, I think he'll win, either by G+P or by getting Strickland to walk onto a heavy shot.

If it turns into a stand-up war, or Sean has the advantage in the grappling I'd say its a pick-'em with a slight lean towards the current champ due to how scoring tends to favour the belt holder... and the general belief that simply holding a title makes any fighter 10% better.

pel1300

Is Sean Strickland considered an elite fighter?

I'm looking at his record and it is surprisingly inconsistent with recent losses to fighters I never heard of. He appears to be more of a solid journeyman/gatekeeper who suddenly got a title shot out of nowhere and pulled off a huge upset.

The MMA community are mostly picking him to win treating him as if he is some dominant champ. But this DDP guy seems more impressive having recently finished Robert Whittaker and his most recent loss being over 5 years ago. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Is Sean Strickland considered an elite fighter?

I'm looking at his record and it is surprisingly inconsistent with recent losses to fighters I never heard of. He appears to be more of a solid journeyman/gatekeeper who suddenly got a title shot out of nowhere and pulled off a huge upset.

The MMA community are mostly picking him to win treating him as if he is some dominant champ. But this DDP guy seems more impressive having recently finished Robert Whittaker and his most recent loss being over 5 years ago. Am I missing something?

i think hes been ranked for awhile alex pereira was able to jump up the rankings and face izzy after beating sean and ending his six fight winning streak then he lost to jared and then got back to a couple wins he was probably always close for being up for a title shot since izzy already faced and beat everyone in the division other than du plessis. what concerns me is driscus du plessis' power and i don't think his cardio is going to be an issue since he lives and trains at altitude in south africa. sean is going to come forward and probably stand with him driscus doesn't have to worry about being taken down I think hes just going to be focused on landing a power shot to take sean down and he can do it seans already been KO'd by alex who also lands power shots to win

Little Mac

Gold Member
I'm leaning towards Sean but his previous fight, and loss, with Pereira gives me a little hesitation. I don't think Driscus could take Pereira either though. Driscus has power and an awkward style but no gas. Either Sean gets KO'd in round 1 or 2, or a bloody and exhausted Driscus loses in rounds 4 or 5 to a referee stoppage. I don't see this going the distance.

tommycronin

Banned
Drake putting down 700k on Strickland to win.

Fr75lSe.jpg

Joramun

I just want Strickland to win so all the incels at /r/mma can cry more :messenger_beaming:

Also, KG mentions that Sean has decent wrestling and bjj but doesn't use it because he's crazy lol

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
i'm picking strickland hopefully his chin will hold and he can take du plessis power maybe du plessis will go for a submission but I think strickland can take it if they're standing and it goes to decision like with izzy. not sure who to pick at all for penninginton vs bueno silva I'll go with bueno silva I guess. voted for mallot but magny has way more experience gonna be a tough fight I think for mallot

Macattk15

Thank GOD I pirated that shit ass event.

Good for DDP though. Strickland is overhyped.

Drake. Constantly catching L's with the bets.

Last edited:

MastAndo

It was close, but I'm not so sure du Plessis did enough to take the belt from the champ. It seemed like Strickland's striking was more impactful than du Plessis's fruitless takedowns....but that's UFC scoring for you, I suppose.

Top Bottom