• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play | September 13th, 2022

skit_data

I was fucking scared they were gonna end with that controller announcement. It looks like shit IMO (wtf, black buttons? Why not keep them white) but THAT TRAILER. Damn this game is gonna be fucking fire. I bet it will score higher than the first one, it looks to be so much more epic on every level.

Edit: And Tekken 8! Rise of the Ronin! Stellar Blade! The more I think about it this is almost as good as last years showcase.

Edit: 8/10, would probably been lower if they’d hyped it up though. This took me by surprise.

Last edited:

Elios83

Tekken 8 looked really next gen, Yakuza Ishin remake, new Harry Potter trailer, Project Eve and the new exclusive Team Ninja game looking awesome and that final GOW trailer!
I'm also looking forward to get more details on PS Stars (Grace Chen is back :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: I remember her from the days of the lame weekly PSstore updates in the PS3 era)
This was a great SoP for my tastes.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
some of the graphics looked a bit ropey. Maybe that was the youtube compression.

Most exciting bit for me was Demeon. A table-top VR game means we should see more than FPS' and racers in the future, that's great. A VR Divinity or Pathfinder would be interesting.

That game is already on Quest and PC. Haven't played it, but I believe it's pretty cool.

Star Wars is also an upgraded Quest game. There will be a lot of that I expect.

Tommi84

I turned it off at the GoW: R trailer to prevent any spoilers. I'm going complete blackout mode for that game
My colleague from work will see this SoP in few hours only. I will definitely recommend him the same. Looked impressive, but yeah... showed too much for me ;)

Pejo

You didn't like the state of play where they announced RE4 Remake, reintroduced FFXVI, etc? The one from June?

About this SOP...this was much better than i expected. New Tekken game, Rise of the Ronin looked decent, Project Eve was back as well, that God of War trailer was hype as fuck, a remake of Yakuza Ishin coming out early 2023...honestly, this was really good.

Never expected Sony to snatch a Team Ninja console exclusive in 2022 tbh.
You're right, that one was good, but hit less on a personal level for me. I'm really tired of remakes and FFXVI is an unproven quantity for me. I don't like that they said "fuck you" to turn-based JRPG fans entirely for this entry, but I'm staying neutral about it for now. This SoP hit on all cylinders for me personally. Project Eve looks so damn good. I'd love to see an uncut combat gameplay vid from it. It has potential to even put Bayonetta to shame, which I also thought looked great. I've been waiting for a spiritual successor to Lost Planet for so long, this new game looks like exactly that. I embrace the mecha.

You're right, that one was good, but hit less on a personal level for me. I'm really tired of remakes and FFXVI is an unproven quantity for me. I don't like that they said "fuck you" to turn-based JRPG fans entirely for this entry, but I'm staying neutral about it for now. This SoP hit on all cylinders for me personally. Project Eve looks so damn good. I'd love to see an uncut combat gameplay vid from it. It has potential to even put Bayonetta to shame, which I also thought looked great. I've been waiting for a spiritual successor to Lost Planet for so long, this new game looks like exactly that. I embrace the mecha.
Sony that cares about Japanese / asian games in general is always a good Sony. End that with a hype trailer like the God of War one and you got yourself a hit. I agree with your post tbh.

Gentlemen, this is a very special moment for me as I haven't played a game since April! I'll be switching on my ps5 for God of War Ragnarok this November and I'm genuinely excited with anticipation.

Playstation delivered in the end.

9c5tZHA.gif

Gambit2483

Team Ninjas interns are destroying both Ghost of Tsushima and the Assassins' Creed franchise in one game. Sucker Punch needs to go back to the drawing board after this.

panda table flip GIF

Edit: Console exclusive to PlayStation explains why MS paid for Wo Long.
Team Ninja playing Sony and MS like Yojimbo. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
😂 Team Ninja laughing all the way to the bank

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm probably gonna buy all except for Harry Pothead game, that Horror racing game and the VR stuff

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

lachesis

Today's Nintendo stuff was full of JRPG and Farming sim - and SOP was just full of hack-and-slash it seems.
Glad Isshin is coming to U.S. and also interest piqued for that Ronin game.. although it kinda reminds me of Assassin's Creed a bit for some reason.
Stella Blade looks nice - that kid's voice is little annoying but hope the gameplay would be solid, not just looks.

Zok310

Banned
Fucking Snitch talking bout hold back your hype. Dude is a fraud. tekken 8, GOWR trailer, cmon how is that not hype?

Isa

There were a few titles that definitely have me there day 1. That mecha game seems cool, Stellar Blade is awesome as usual, in fact it was gorgeous and a great score for Sony. The Ishin announcement is fantastic, and I was totally gotten by the similar time/theme in Rise of the Ronin, but god dayyum if Team Ninja didn't bring the heat with that. Freakin' awesome looking and seemed very far along despite being a 2024 title. I'm guessing early in the year.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This has to be one of the better state of plays but Sony better Not think about canceling their first party showcase this month. As a showcase, this was abysmal but as a state of play, i was rather impressed by the new Japanese games. Tekken looks next Gen as fuck. A breath of fresh air after capcom phoned in sf6. The team ninja game looks interesting but looks worse than ghost if tsushima despite being a ps5 only game. Can’t believe these guys made ninja gaiden on the original Xbox. Boob game looks alright and gow looks like gow. Balls to the wall crazy but still very last gen looking.

Next, i want to see Spider-Man, wolverine, mgs remake and maybe a new ip. This can’t be the last Sony show of the year.

sncvsrtoip

Not bad for a state of play, Tekken 8 looks awsome but how much of this was real gamepay ? Ragnarok trailer get me more interested (Im not biggest fan of 1st). Biggest disappointment vr2 games: you wont sell this with some lame quest ports.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

sachos

If you are into action games this was a pretty cool SoP, like a 7.5 to 8/10. Tekken 8, GoW, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Rounin, Ishin Remake. All these games speak to me, even Synduality has me interested because mechas. Only thing missing was a surprise new IP from a major first party studio and that it overall felt too short, i miss big showcases.

Top Bottom