• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Targeting 60 FPS on PS5 (but not locked)

Fbh

Said it in other threads but I don't mind if there are drops during the more demanding areas as long as the "regular" gameplay runs at 60ish fps.
60 during normal gameplay that drops to 30-40 when things get crazy is still better than a constant 30.

Meicyn

Gold Member
All I know is, I was in the low teens during combat when playing Dragon’s Dogma on PS3. I think it was in the 20s just walking outside of Gran Soren. Xbox 360 could hit 30 most of the time, but then you had to deal with constant screen tearing.

No matter, honestly. I didn’t let the foliage being drawn in realtime every time I dared to spin the camera around in Elden Ring keep me from playing, and frame drops won’t stop me here either.

King Dazzar

Coming in hot

schaft0620

Thanks again OP, a great day for the site and I have been tired and thinking about quitting. I just write about games and travel to conventions as a hobby.

I am going to update the article and the image gallery to reflect that it is not a locked 60FPS because that is what some people are taking away.

?? What videos?

The link shows the game is pretty much a locked 60 fps with some very rare drops.

Dragons-Dogma-2-35554.jpg

Dragons-Dogma-2-46890.jpg

I am going to update the post as I mentioned above, it's not locked but the dips are few and far between.

Here is a video where I show 1 dip in the first 14% of a 20-minute capture. There were two or three more dips in the entire video.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Can't imagine the game looking great at 60 FPS on consoles, not to mention various visual compromises such as lower LOD, shadows, vegetation etc.

The PC version (already pre-ordered) will no doubt be the best one, I just hope it won't have VRAM crashes like RE4R had until they fixed it way later.

Last edited:
Will wait for DF impressions on consistency but if I dealt with FFXVI's fluctuations in Performance Mode this might be OK, otherwise I'm cool waiting on the PS5Pro, already have a million things to play.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Thanks again OP, a great day for the site and I have been tired and thinking about quitting. I just write about games and travel to conventions as a hobby.

I am going to update the article and the image gallery to reflect that it is not a locked 60FPS because that is what some people are taking away.

I am going to update the post as I mentioned above, it's not locked but the dips are few and far between.

Here is a video where I show 1 dip in the first 14% of a 20-minute capture. There were two or three more dips in the entire video.

that looks like a streaming related drop. this is as close to a locked 60 fps as ive seen a game. I really dont know what the fuss is all about after seeing your footage.

the fact that this is from TGS and alraedy running at a almost a locked 60 fps with some minor stutters on very rare occassions, i think its fair to say they will deliver a fairly smooth 60 fps.

the real question is whether or not it will look blurry on a 4k screen because they might be targeting a very low resolution to get this running at 60 fps the vast majority of the time.

Hmm the footage in the YouTube link is 30fps with drops even the parts that show 60fps in the screenshots. Just pick a random second and count the frames no need for analysis software - if you pick one where anything is happening you will see repeat frames so not even locked 30fps.

That bit running across the bridge for example is 9:52 in the video and is running at like 28fps not 60fps like the screenshot shows.

Could just be the footage as clearly compressed and maybe badly re-encoded so is the raw capture available anywhere?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Can't imagine the game looking great at 60 FPS on consoles, not to mention various visual compromises such as lower LOD, shadows, vegetation etc.

The PC version (already pre-ordered) will no doubt be the best one, I just hope it won't have VRAM crashes like RE4R had until they fixed it way later.
Of course it will have vram issues. If corridors re4 was crashing my 3080, open world rengine will too

yamaci17

Of course it will have vram issues. If corridors re4 was crashing my 3080, open world rengine will too
I never had any vram related crashes in re 4 with my 3070 at 4k/dlss quality at high settings. unless you had an unnecessary persistence on trying to run a useless ray tracing implementation just to prove a point (?)) ray tracing in that game was an afterthought, even on consoles it reduces texture quality. on PC, it just crashes. both ways it was unusable

Last edited:

yamaci17

I had no problem with re4r on pc so it's a matter of luck.
the game had a problem with vram management when ray tracing enabled combined with texture streaming budget that totaled to more than vram you had. but it still was somewhat sensitive to crashes if you were near your budget (especially if something else uses DXGI memory budget in the background)

IIRC he knew this very well and even criticised the game for not being able to handle vram in an intelligent manner like some other games do. i guess dragons dogma 2 has built in ray tracing or something considering he assumes it will have vram issues (?). games with built in ray tracing often runs like how they should even on 6 - 8 gb gpus (alan wake 2, avatar etc.)

if it is not built around ray tracing and runs on raster by default, it wont have any vram problems on PC for a huge playerbase that ignores ray tracing anyways.

vram borked games do not get %95-97 positive reviews on Steam. re4 is a super stable game in rasterization that works wonderfully even on old 4 GB cards

Last edited:
So much arguing but no-one seems to care that the footage posted with the article isn't even locked 30fps nevermind locked 60fps?

Is there a single video online with fairly stable looking 60fps gameplay? Everything I have seen drops into the 20s including the footage posted here.

yamaci17

So much arguing but no-one seems to care that the footage posted with the article isn't even locked 30fps nevermind locked 60fps?

Is there a single video online with fairly stable looking 60fps gameplay? Everything I have seen drops into the 20s including the footage posted here.
time will tell

could be video encoding issues

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Whatever's going on in that video clip is clearly not 60fps. The camera movement etc has the choppiness of 30. Yes, it's slowed down, but 60 slowed down looks a lot smoother than that (less change between each frame).

The guy doesn't even seem sure if he's seeing the framerate of the game or the capture.

Edit: This is your video? No offense in that case, but yeah, I don't think that's a 60fps clip.

Last edited:
Anything under 1440p is completely unacceptable.
We'll see but you've got to remember that the hardware is only capable of so much. There are a lot of effects going on and the graphics look quite detailed.

Hopefully it's 1440p60 for console folk, that means I'll be pushing 1440p 80+ on PC.

So here is the footage in better quality. Based on this it's unlocked but hovers around 25-35fps in action. Not sure what went wrong with the TRdrop to show 60fps but this isn't proof of locked 60fps sorry boys. Easy to check going frame by frame on PC and watch the image update every 2 to 3 frames when there is action (although bits did go much higher out of combat).

So basically what we already knew unlocked framerate targeting but rarely hitting 60fps (unless this is dodgy footage but it looks pretty nice quality) - might change by release of course.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I never had any vram related crashes in re 4 with my 3070 at 4k/dlss quality at high settings. unless you had an unnecessary persistence on trying to run a useless ray tracing implementation just to prove a point (?)) ray tracing in that game was an afterthought, even on consoles it reduces texture quality. on PC, it just crashes. both ways it was unusable
Of course I had rt on. Because it was release and nobody knew it was causing crashing. And it’s not even cram issue since you go over even without it but then only some fps drops.
So why would I think to disable rt if it doesn’t hit fps much and vram was above with out without it

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
lol, 1440p for 27" Oled monitor is perfect, 4k is way too overrated.
I wouldn’t say 4k is overrated.
When you have 4k monitor you can run dlss at balance getting essentially 1440p but original 4k hud and so on.
And even raw 1440p looks about the same on 4k monitor despite what everyone keeps saying.
As for res alone, I would say there is bigger difference going from 1440p to 4k than 1080p to 1440p. Of course considering screen size but I could already tell that in 27” size.

Mister Wolf

We'll see but you've got to remember that the hardware is only capable of so much. There are a lot of effects going on and the graphics look quite detailed.

Hopefully it's 1440p60 for console folk, that means I'll be pushing 1440p 80+ on PC.

When I see this game it doesn't look anymore impressive than this:

Both are open world, running at 60fps, and over 1440p. Days Gone is even using UE4 which is known to be difficult with open world games.

When I see this game it doesn't look anymore impressive than this:

Both are open world, running at 60fps, and over 1440p. Days Gone is even using UE4 which is known to be difficult with open world games.

It's not just about how the game looks, I imagine that it will depend on what's going on in the background and CPU utilisation. This is obviously speculation but some games have other things going on that affect performance.

Or it might just be shitty optimisation if it doesn't perform well. We'll find out next month.

Mister Wolf

It's not just about how the game looks, I imagine that it will depend on what's going on in the background and CPU utilisation. This is obviously speculation but some games have other things going on that affect performance.

Or it might just be shitty optimisation if it doesn't perform well. We'll find out next month.

We've all been watching plenty of footage of this game. I'm honestly not seeing anything unique from a technical standpoint.

yamaci17

4k dlss performance looks better than 1440p dlaa/taa so I'd personally never bother with 1440p as long as not vram limited

heck 4k dlss ultra performance trades belows with 1440p dlaa (not saying better or anything, just saying it trades blows)

(all comparisons in movement, in the case of spiderman, VERY FAST movement)

jDP43wO.png

lVAv52J.png

but of course graphic experts like SlimeSnake will have different justifications as to why and how "muh 0.9 millions of pixels" or "muh 2 millions of pixels" can produce competitive image quality compared to "muh 3.6 millions of native pixels!!1"

Last edited:

Vick

Throw a granade in the middle of an horde and look at the absolute shit result.
Wouldn't call falling to death without pre-canned animations "shit result" just because devs tried to prevent the hardware running the game to take part in the explosion.

I posted the "bad example" due to the game already being subject of discussion and, very obviously, hundreds of characters on screen being relevant to "what's going on in the background and CPU utilisation".

Bojji

So here is the footage in better quality. Based on this it's unlocked but hovers around 25-35fps in action. Not sure what went wrong with the TRdrop to show 60fps but this isn't proof of locked 60fps sorry boys. Easy to check going frame by frame on PC and watch the image update every 2 to 3 frames when there is action (although bits did go much higher out of combat).

So basically what we already knew unlocked framerate targeting but rarely hitting 60fps (unless this is dodgy footage but it looks pretty nice quality) - might change by release of course.

You can't really judge performance of the game from YT video. Only raw capture video would be good for that purpose.

Top Bottom