• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 | Review Thread

What scores do you think Dragon's Dogma 2 will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 17 3.8%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 121 27.2%
  • 86-89%

Votes: 196 44.0%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 83 18.7%
  • 96-100%

Votes: 18 4.0%

• Total voters

Go_Ly_Dow

Sounds decent. Will wait a few months or until the end of the year after beating some other games. Hope the performance is a lot better then.

Reviews looking great so far! Can't wait to load this up on the PC on Friday.

Also, for those upset that resolution scaling isn't leading to significant performance gains - that's because the game is heavily CPU-bound. Hopefully Capcom offers some settings so folks can tweak the "simulation" to be less expensive (physics accuracy, NPC density, pathfinding, AI coordination and planning, animation refresh rate, IK calculations, etc.).

GymWolf

Do literally any review talk about the heavy simulation that bring down the cpus?

Massive destruction? Incredible ia? Super realistic city simulation? Is there even a reason for the game to be this heavy except devs being absolute inepts?

Does the famous big statue roam around the map destroying stuff freely or it's just a setpieces like we had in spidey 2 or ff16?
The game os not a looker in the slightest so there should be a reason to be this heavy.

Last edited:
Firefox is using more CPU than this.
He has a magic PC.
Screenshot20240320at.png
confirmed game performance is tied to the GPU! The dream of 60Fps on PS5 Pro is possible!

Skifi28

Do literally any review talk about the heavy simulation that bring down the cpus?

Massive destruction? Incredible ia? Super realistic city simulation? Is there even a reason for the game to be this heavy except devs being absolute inepts?

Does the famous big statue roam around the map destroying stuff freely or it's just a setpieces like we had in spidey 2 or ff16?
The game os not a looker in the slightest so there should be a reason to be this heavy.
Well, they took an engine that was probably never made for huge open worlds and duktaped together some heavy RT stuff. We should be glad it's not crashing every minute.

FeralEcho

So happy i just enjoy good games and don’t obsess with frame rates. This looks like a blast.
Yup,some people are really sad honestly,so many great games out there that I wouldn't be able to enjoy if I was so framerate obsessed like them,some of my favourite games are from the PS3 era so they are stuck at 30 fps and I have no problem revisiting them each year.But to them they would be unplayable, it's sad...

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
From the Eurogamer review:

I did run into some performance issues on PC, specifically in regards to some occasional frame droppage. Now, I should note that I never ran into any drops in frames in the open world and managed to run at a pretty consistent 120FPS, so oddly this was never an issue during combat. I only ever experience drops in frames during my time in the two biggest cities in the game, and these drops did seem specific to certain locations within those cities, such as in Vernworth's town square. However, I was running the game with all of the graphical settings at their highest, so I was able to completely offset these drops in frames with some slight tweaks that barely impacted how pretty the game looked - changes I could revert once I left said cities.

Outside of this, Dragon's Dogma 2 ran smoothly, looked incredible, and I honestly can't think of a single bug or glitch I encountered during my playthrough. Considering how beautiful Dragon's Dogma 2's world is, both from a graphical and visual design standpoint, to be frank I'm surprised I didn't experience further performance issues beyond this. During that dragon attack in Melve I spoke of earlier, a mage in my party cast a screen-encompasing blizzard, covering the dragon in a frosty texture as the light from the spell and the dragon's fire reflected off the nearby ocean in tandem - all while 20 or so NPCs helped attack said dragon alongside us. Yet, not a single dip in frames occurred.

Seems like an annoyance more than a real issue.

Yes, I'm sniffing tons of hopium right now.

Topher

Gold Member
From the Eurogamer review:

Seems like an annoyance more than a real issue.

Yes, I'm sniffing tons of hopium right now.

Pretty much. Gives the folks who claim to not care about frame rates a chance to talk about frame rates though. The combat is almost entirely out in the open world, correct? That's where the higher frame rates are needed. If we have some drops down to console levels in the cities running from place to place....not great, but like you say, really more of an annoyance.

Think it will be fine.

He was a dumb ass kid who plagiarised HBomberGuy when he first started out. He's apologised profusely for doing so many times. Now he's a fairly decent YouTuber, who is probably a little more trustworthy than some because he got caught and paid the price, and learned from it.

Anyway... if this game is basically the same as Elden Ring in terms of exploration then i don't care about performance issues. It sounds right up my alley.
Good for him then, every has the right to change. I am no different from being able to change my opinion of him if that is the case.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The performance issues on all platforms is a fucking disgrace.

It's going to take a lot of bows from Capcom survive the upcoming Steam reviews..

Edit: Even the NPC pop-in in the city, it's even worse than in Assassin's Creed Unity :(

Last edited:

Senua

This game is an example of why I had to stop PC gaming. The chase for performance/visuals just got too much. Being a console peasant is a much easier and more enjoyable experience for me.
You mean in terms of having to worry about such things? You must know you are settling for lesser performance on console but I guess you don't mind.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
You mean in terms of having to worry about such things? You must know you are settling for lesser performance on console but I guess you don't mind.
It’s a compromise I made. Lesser performance/visuals, for ease of mind and plug and play gaming. I’m not even a fan that there are graphics options on console games. Devs should make a choice and build their game around it, like they used to. But that’s going off topic.

SABRE220

Okay now this is a pleasant surprise!! I voted 83-86 but happy to be wrong, just wish it was more polished and impressive technically but damn if the game ends up this good for it I'm okay with the tradeoff.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

From Eurogamer.
During that dragon attack in Melve I spoke of earlier, a mage in my party cast a screen-encompasing blizzard, covering the dragon in a frosty texture as the light from the spell and the dragon's fire reflected off the nearby ocean in tandem - all while 20 or so NPCs helped attack said dragon alongside us. Yet, not a single dip in frames occurred.

Stafford

So I have a VRR capable TV and Xbox Series X. Has any review said what you can expect framerate wise with that? It's a unlocked framerate, so what can I expect here?

Last edited:

FeralEcho

I'm just tired of every discussion about this game being about framerate, we're in a review thread of a game that has an aggregate of 87 meta and no one is talking about anything but the damn performance and acting like it's the end of the world that it's not 60 fps.

There was no such insane talk during the PS3 or PS4 era,but once the PS5 came around despite 30fps being the norm for decades suddenly 30fps was "unplayable" "broken" "bullet time".

But whatever,yet another DD2 thread ruined by fps purists.

dorkimoe

The performance issues on all platforms is a fucking disgrace, seriously.

It's going to take a lot of bows from Capcom survive the upcoming Steam reviews..

Edit: Even the NPC pop-in is atrocious. I mean, it's even worse than in Assassin's Creed Unity ffs! What an achievement..
Its incredible to me that this is where we are at now with the stupid console iterations. I understand getting it to work across all different variations of PC is insane but the consoles...nothing should be allowed to dip below 30. Like now i have to buy a ps5 pro to play it properly

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'm just tired of every discussion about this game being about framerate, we're in a review thread of a game that has an aggregate of 87 meta and no one is talking about anything but the damn performance and acting like it's the end of the world that it's not 60 fps.

There was no such insane talk during the PS3 or PS4 era,but once the PS5 came around despite 30fps being the norm for decades suddenly 30fps was "unplayable" "broken" "bullet time".

Then why are you at the very center of this and fanning the flames about PC performance more than anyone else here?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

FeralEcho

Coming from the guy who spent the last several pages being a dumb troll who takes issue with people playing on a platform he doesn't play on?
No,I take issue with the fact that you fps purists have been shitting the Dragon's Dogma 2 threads ever since it was announced that the game won't be 60 fps. It just so happens PC players are the ones always complaining about fps.

DanEON

Yep. That's the TLDR version. DLSS seems completely busted also. Hoping the fix for that will lead to noticeable gains.
Is DLSS broken everywhere? If it's only in big cities thats fine, because DLSS does nothing when you are CPU bound (only Frame Gen helps)

Topher

Gold Member

Bond007

Spot on- im here to talk and read about the gameplay and reviews. Fuck all this other shit.
Maybe someone so go make a thread about framerates

Traxtech

I hope they add a 30 fps cap so it's abit more smooth on console . Or tweak it abit and give us 40fps/120hz

Can't fucking wait to play it, absolutely adored number 1.

Last edited:

CLW

Was hyped for this game but with this kind of performance on PC I may just wait for the BIG price drop around Christmas

Kacho

Dragon's Dogma 2 also offers ray tracing as a graphics option, but other than mildly improving the ambient lighting, the hit to the performance isn't really worth it. For example, with the RTX 4070 Ti, the average fps drop was around 20% without any upscaling, which is pretty good and it's a smaller drop in the city area, but you'll probably not want to bother with it.

Confused Episode 19 GIF by One Chicago

GymWolf

From Eurogamer.
So 20 npcs attacking a dragon is what make the game run like a turd all the time?

Doesn't dying light 2 not only looks better but also has way more than 20 models on screen at any given time fighting each other and shit?

What about the largest battles in horizon between dinobots and npcs? Pretty sure you get close to 20 models on screens, pretty sure that a lot of games have 20+ models on screen without going into the 20s.

Sorry, i'm not impressed.

Top Bottom