• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Dragon's Dogma 2 runs at uncapped 30 FPS on consoles

S0ULZB0URNE

He is correct, many games looks better and have a performance mode (even if very few of them are 60 fps locked, but still better than 30 unlocked)

When they are gonna show this incredible ia, incredible destruction, incredible interaction that for now are nothing more than dogma 1 fanboys dreams and hopes and pr talks from the devs with no actual proof whatsoever, then we are gonna discuss how 30 fps are necessary, i hope they kept all of that hided because the trailers show absolutely nothing that should bring this game to its knees performance wise other than vague promises.

Breaking a fucking rock to fuck enemies with water (with terrible looking water rendering) was not impressive when mhw did it in 2018 with the rathalos trap, and sure as hell is not impressive in 2024 unless you lived inside a cave, same for scripted giant enemies roaming in a scripted area with scripted destruction, let me see the giant statue randomly roam around the whole map and destroying stuff in a dynamic way then we can talk about being impressive.

Tech wise this game hasn't showed a single thing that was not already a thing during the ps3 era...
I was just messing with him.
Assuming he's PS only I wouldn't buy it on there at 30fps either.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
monkey poop GIF

Capcom delivering that 30fps greatness.

gtabro

uncapped 30 FPS on consoles?
That shit wack

Still pre-ordered GOTY 2024, love the first one too much so had to break the no-preorder rule
Don't let me down Capcom

Lokaum D+

uncapped 30 FPS on consoles?
That shit wack

Still pre-ordered GOTY 2024, love the first one too much so had to break the no-preorder rule
Don't let me down Capcom
If stuttering, poor performance and poor frame pacing haven't let you down, I think you're good.

Last edited:
I know what you're saying. If it doesn't dip below 30 then it's good.
Let's see if day 1 patch changes anything and lock it to 30 fps.
You still don’t understand: they are saying ‘uncapped’ as in no cap to 30 or anything else, as in it runs any framerate it can, hence the image from Digital Foundry showing 31fps; the hitching will be worse than 29 fps with a 30fps cap.

I think you are mistaking the term ‘lock’; where it hits a cap and doesn’t deviate with the ‘cap‘ itself.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
None of the previews showed poor performance or stuttering? Or did I miss any that looked bad?

~32fps open-world traversal straight into ~25fps combat isn't poor performance?
---
Now it's kind of evident why there wasn't a 40fps mode, it's not even close to being able to hit that mark. Having an unlocked frame rate mode is ok for future backwards compatibility(forwards compatibility?), but it doesn't do much good if the game can't stay within the VRR window. They should include another mode for v-sync 30fps. That would at least solve any frame time issues above 30fps.

This seems like a bad omen for the PC version. 25fps combat on PS5 could mean you need a hefty rig to hit 60fps, despite having DLSS present. On some level I kind of hope it's an issue with being CPU-bound, so you can break through using a faster CPU(I have 5800x3D). DLSS 3 can help with being CPU-bound, but in my experience it really only starts to be good at ~50fps base frame rate. Ideally you'd already be 60fps+.

Last edited:
In all my years of conquest, violence, and slaughter, it was never personal. But I'll tell you, now... what I'm about to do to your stubborn, annoying attitude regarding 30 FPS, I'm gonna enjoy it. Very, very much.

Infinity War Avengers GIF by Marvel Studios

Skifi28

Game is CPU bottlenecked. The Pro won't change anything.
Where's the data to back this up? We'll have an idea when we see some CPU benchmarks on PC, until then it's just guesstimation.

Edit: That would also mean a terrible PC port if console CPUs can barely do 30, you'd need a beast of a CPU to double it which is odd for a RE engine game. Just doesn't seem very plausible.

Last edited:
It’s uncapped so it can go lower than 30fps in spots. IGN said 25fps at times. We will need to wait for a performance analysis to see how it holds up, but it’s likely going to be a juddery looking mess on console.

This sucks so bad and is a worst possible scenario for this game. It truly makes no sense for them to do this. This was the game I was most excited for too.

Lmao. This is so stupid. Like legit dumb. People this stupid should not be allowed to make video games. These devs are completely clueless and detached from reality.

This is sadly the norm with Japanese devs. They lack common sense when it comes to stuff like this. They have shown this time and time again with elden ring, sekiro, bloodborne, ff16, forspoken, ghostwire tokyo and many others.

Elden ring caps its DRS to 1512p instead of dropping to 1440p or below to make sure it hits 60 fps. The result is a game that constantly runs in the 50s. Bb still has bad frame pacing despite running at 30 fps locked, a very fixable issue. Sekiro on pro consoles ran at a similar unlocked framerate between 30-45 fps. Ff15 also had the poor frame pacing issues back in the day. Even zelda constantly drops to 20 fps every time you use the physics tool whatever it was called. Like every single time.

It’s like these devs don’t give a fuck. Bayonetta 3 looks like it runs at 240p-360p and it does. They pushed the system too hard and you legit can’t see what’s going on because the visuals are so blocky like those old vcd artifacts.

I love their games but my god it’s time to start docking points because this is embarrassing.

This! When are reviewers and gamers finally going to say that they've had enough with this BS?!

I'm totally fine with 30 fps.. playing FF7 Rebirth on graphics mode and having a blast.

This is going to be even better. :messenger_fire:

You fail to even understand this isn't 30 fps it's UNCAPPED 30 which means bad stutter! You allowing these devs to be lazy and take advantage of console dev with your ignorant attitude.

This sucks so bad and is a worst possible scenario for this game. It truly makes no sense for them to do this. This was the game I was most excited for too.
They’ve been deaf on that front for years, they did the same thing with Monster Hunter World; It really needed a 30 cap on last gen, and even the PS4pro and One X mid gen enhanced consoles just couldn’t ever get it to 60, so it always felt uneven all the time.

Last edited:

CLW

Soooooo I normally play everything on ps5 but I recently built a 7900xtx 7800x3d pc - what kind of performance should I expect out of my pc with this game?

Anchovie123

I saw in Maximiliandoods footage that he aggrod a whole bunch of lizards then led them back to town and the whole townsfolk took up arms to fight them off. Seems like this is a return to form true RPG. I'm not surprised its 30fps tbh, things like this can be a optimization nightmare.

timestamp 33mins

Last edited:

You still don’t understand: they are saying ‘uncapped’ as in no cap to 30 or anything else, as in it runs any framerate it can, hence the image from Digital Foundry showing 31fps; the hitching will be worse than 29 fps with a 30fps cap.

I think you are mistaking the term ‘lock’; where it hits a cap and doesn’t deviate with the ‘cap‘ itself.
I've got it, it can dip below 30 and goes above 30 based on the area and situation. The game is still almost a month away and if devs add a day 1 patch where it locks to 30.
I mean there's VRR support that'd help too. Imo. I'm good with playing with 30 fps. If one's priority is 60 or nothing then they should go for PC. it's a multiplat anyway.

You fail to even understand this isn't 30 fps it's UNCAPPED 30 which means bad stutter! You allowing these devs to be lazy and take advantage of console dev with your ignorant attitude.

What's up with that stinky attitude of yours? I get the game is uncapped so we can get crazy stutters from 40 to 25 fps. If you so feel nauseated about it then go for PC. If devs didn't do well in optimisation of the game the reviews will suffer. Let's wait and see how things go!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
All this critique and people throwing tantrums. Now I know I have to get it on ps5 lol.
Bloodborne was supposed to be framepacing hell too and it was the best playing 30fps game with lower lag 30fps can have.
Now I get it. This is unlocked. Sure. I hate unlocked fps. But I don’t think I will care much this time

DavidGzz

All this critique and people throwing tantrums. Now I know I have to get it on ps5 lol.
Bloodborne was supposed to be framepacing hell too and it was the best playing 30fps game with lower lag 30fps can have.
Now I get it. This is unlocked. Sure. I hate unlocked fps. But I don’t think I will care much this time

Because of tantrums from people that you don't know you're subjecting yourself to a gimped version of the game? If I recall you own a capable PC. That's like buying Dark Souls on 360 when you have access to it on PS4.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Because of tantrums from people that you don't know you're subjecting yourself to a gimped version of the game? If I recall you own a capable PC. That's like buying Dark Souls on 360 when you have access to it on PS4.
I don’t care. It will still be better experience than on pc and I own the disc.
It thence version is shockingly better, I will consider it but I doubt it

Yeah this one of those games that despite been waiting for this title more than 10 years.... I'll have to wait a couple more days to see how it is behaving so I can buy it.

gtabro

~32fps open-world traversal straight into ~25fps combat isn't poor performance?
---
Now it's kind of evident why there wasn't a 40fps mode, it's not even close to being able to hit that mark. Having an unlocked frame rate mode is ok for future backwards compatibility(forwards compatibility?), but it doesn't do much good if the game can't stay within the VRR window. They should include another mode for v-sync 30fps. That would at least solve any frame time issues above 30fps.

This seems like a bad omen for the PC version. 25fps combat on PS5 could mean you need a hefty rig to hit 60fps, despite having DLSS present. On some level I kind of hope it's an issue with being CPU-bound, so you can break through using a faster CPU(I have 5800x3D). DLSS 3 can help with being CPU-bound, but in my experience it really only starts to be good at ~50fps base frame rate. Ideally you'd already be 60fps+.

Ah, guess I've not seen that part, yeah these sub-30 drops are a bit shit indeed, let's see how often they happen... :s

Top Bottom