• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Dragon's Dogma 2 runs at uncapped 30 FPS on consoles

Slimboy Fat

Smart devs. Dumbing down every aspect of your entire game just to achieve higher framerate that only frame warriors truly care about is simply dumb
What is so prohibitive though? Roaming enemies and party companions have both been done before at 60fps on weaker CPU's. Graphics is not so impactful on gameplay, if that was the bottleneck they could have just cut the draw distance, foliage and resolution a bit.

Sentenza

Lot of mentally ill posts in here or some well done troll posts IDK.

I’ll be on PC with 60fps.
200.gif

I’ll be on PC with 165hz and G-Sync.

shubik

What a joke... The game looks cool, but I'm not paying full price for a 30fps game on consoles. There are countless examples of games looking much better than this and still running at a smooth 60fps on the latest console hardware. This just seems lazy, to be honest...

twilo99

“Uncapped 30” makes not sense to me .. does that meant that it’s uncapped and 30 is the maximum the machine can do?

S0ULZB0URNE

What a joke... The game looks cool, but I'm not paying full price for a 30fps game on consoles. There are countless examples of games looking much better than this and still running at a smooth 60fps on the latest console hardware. This just seems lazy, to be honest...
L75CHO2.gif

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
“Uncapped 30” makes not sense to me .. does that meant that it’s uncapped and 30 is the maximum the machine can do?

It means it is uncap but the framerate will not stray very far from 30fps. So could fluctuate between 25fps to 35fps in most cases

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not to a lot of people, I pointed this out in another thread and got shitted on by multiple people who said it was clearly closer to 60 than 30. Where are they now lol

Yeah, I don't know that they were seeing. There was one thread about someone who had done a framerate analysis on some gameplay videos, but to me it was clear that it was just the video that was 60 fps while the actual game was around 30. A lot of people just can't tell the difference.

Cool, that at least confirms framerate. Not an issue for the overwhelming majority of those who want to play on console I imagine. Looking forward to seeing how much this taxes my 12700K/3080 setup. Hoping for a solid 60+FPS at 1440p high settings.

Last edited:

Bojji

These are the type of games that push people into buying a gaming PC.

Yep.

But I wonder what kind of pc will be able to run it on PS5 settings in 60 fps.

So far re engine targeted high frame rates even on last gen hardware, this is first game that is strictly ~30fps. It will be heavy.

What does uncapped mean :messenger_expressionless:
The game will likely run 30fps as standard but isn't capped, so could potentially hit higher framerates depending on the situation, enemies on screen etc. lots of variables.

It is unacceptable however if the game drops below 30fps. An uncapped 30fps in my opinion should mean that 30fps is the absolute lowest framerate you will see.

GymWolf

He is correct, many games looks better and have a performance mode (even if very few of them are 60 fps locked, but still better than 30 unlocked)

When they are gonna show this incredible ia, incredible destruction, incredible interaction that for now are nothing more than dogma 1 fanboys dreams and hopes and pr talks from the devs with no actual proof whatsoever, then we are gonna discuss how 30 fps are necessary, i hope they kept all of that hided because the trailers show absolutely nothing that should bring this game to its knees performance wise other than vague promises.

Breaking a fucking rock to fuck enemies with water (with terrible looking water rendering) was not impressive when mhw did it in 2018 with the rathalos trap, and sure as hell is not impressive in 2024 unless you lived inside a cave, same for scripted giant enemies roaming in a scripted area with scripted destruction, let me see the giant statue randomly roam around the whole map and destroying stuff in a dynamic way then we can talk about being impressive.

Tech wise this game hasn't showed a single thing that was not already a thing during the ps3 era...

Last edited:

Malachai

I don't understand the reasoning behind this at all. If you have spent years developing a game surely you would want it to perform as well as it possibly can. Where's the job satisfaction in turning out a sub par product that will perform badly on high end tv's especially when there are plenty of open world games out there that run at 60fps on console.
A gaming pc is looking more and more tempting.

30FPS in 2024. What a shame. Build this PC:

And play it at 60FPS.

Thats piss poor and also not 100% fair. Windows on its own can cost £100, a new Xbox Pad over £40 and you not even Bluetooth or Wi-Fi is standard on most PC boards

A console included a WI-FI a OS, Bluetooth and also a brand new Pad all as standard in your new console box. No need to search or add parts it is all on the box day one as standard. I would imagine that's why it's called a console

Senua

Gold Member
Thats piss poor and also not 100% fair. Windows on its own can cost £100, a new Xbox Pad over £40 and you not even Bluetooth or Wi-Fi is standard on most PC boards

A console included a WI-FI a OS, Bluetooth and also a brand new Pad all as standard in your new console box. No need to search or add parts it is all on the box day one as standard. I would imagine that's why it's called a console
You would have to be a fucking moron to pay £100 for Windows.

Hudo

Just buy a PS5 Pro, bro.

Holammer

24-30fps for the proper Ray Harryhausen look in the boss fights.

Please! A windows 11 Pro key can regularly be found for less than $20.

So, my options are:
1) Poopy framerate but PS5 retail disc I can resell, or
2) good framerate, but $100 down the toilet forever due to PC digital game, or
3) Rise of the Ronin

I’ll probably go with #1. I still have scars from wasting $100 on Baldur’s Gate 3 only to play it for a total of four hours. I can’t bring myself to pay full price for any digital game now.

GymWolf

So, my options are:
1) Poopy framerate but PS5 retail disc I can resell, or
2) good framerate, but $100 down the toilet forever due to PC digital game, or
3) Rise of the Ronin

I’ll probably go with #1. I still have scars from wasting $100 on Baldur’s Gate 3 only to play it for a total of four hours. I can’t bring myself to pay full price for any digital game now.
The game is like 40 dollars on pc key stores, where did you saw a 100 dollars price tag?

TrebleShot

Im really pumped for this one, but that performance on consoles in 2024 is utter crap.

Max 2 years before console refresh like GPUs in my opinion.

Some will stick with original HW, no ones forcing you to buy it.
But those of us who want the latest will buy it happily.

Maybe these devs have one eye on the pro and just leaving things unlocked for them.

Lokaum D+

People assuming its going to run great on PC despite that fact that we have yet to see PC footage and the system requirements on Steam are super sus.

GIF by Giphy QA
on PC you can lower res or lower assts to reach a good performance, on consoles you cant.

like i said, i prefer to play this game on 1440p or even 1080p@60fps than play this at 4ksub30fps

ClosBSAS

Doesn't matter, 30fps is perfectly fine as long as it's stable, couldn't even tell you the difference between a smooth 30fps versus 60 or 120. But of course the performance/graphics whores will be here any second telling us how it's better on their $50k PC. Like yea no shit, but some of us don't care about the differences enough to pull out a second mortgage on our house. Plus the PS5 Pro will run this just as good as high end PC's anyways in a few months. /s

Am I doing it right?
I stopped reading at could not tell diff between 30 and 60. Jesus, the shit we have to read these days man. You are the reason why my mother is dying.

Also, its uncapped, not even gonna be smooth, you are gonna have stutter.

Am i doing it right?

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
I stopped reading at could not tell diff between 30 and 60. Jesus, the shit we have to read these days man. You are the reason why my mother is dying.

Also, its uncapped, not even gonna be smooth, you are gonna have stutters.
Did you miss the "Am I doing it right?" at the end

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Seriously this isn't 2013 anymore there's no reason why the game should be following the same standards and missing features as the first game.

No Fast Travel
No Multiplayer
A single save file again
Uncapped Frame Rate (It ran at average of 25 FPS on PS3)

Like wow I'm glad that I already decided I won't be getting this game on Day one.

hemo memo

Gold Member

You do realize that even after adding all of that you’re still going to save a LOT compares to console games prices.

Lokaum D+

Seriously this isn't 2013 anymore there's no reason why the game should be following the same standards and missing features as the first game.

No Fast Travel
No Multiplayer
A single save file again
Uncapped Frame Rate (It ran at average of 25 FPS on PS3)

Like wow I'm glad that I already decided I won't be getting this game on Day one.
tbh DDDA ( even Vanilla DD ) unlocks fast travel when u reach Gran Soren, thats like 2 hour max into game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom