• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Targeting 60 FPS on PS5 (but not locked)

Draugoth

Gold Member
Dragons-Dogma-2-Reveal-1536x864.jpg

When we spoke with the developers in Tokyo, they were very skittish about how they said it, but they did say that they were targeting 60FPS on PS5. When I followed up on that, they would not commit to the game running at a locked 60FPS.

As for how the game ran during our playtest, it seems to contradict the rumor entirely. Keep in mind, that the build we played will probably be a year old by the time Dragon’s Dogma 2 launches. Also, our demo was three separate 20-minute sessions. These were specific parts of the game hand-built by the development team. While our experience is anecdotal, it for sure was not 30FPS. Analyzing the direct capture from the PS5, the game ran at 60FPS with some inconsequential dips. All three 20-minute videos average around 59.50 FPS. We have uploaded a collection of screenshots so you can see yourself.

Thanks to @schaft0620
https://lordsofgaming.net/2024/02/fake-leaker-creates-erroneous-dragons-dogma-2-frame-count-drama/#

Zuzu

Anything under 1440p is completely unacceptable.

Yeah, I’d like 1440p to be the baseline resolution across most games. I have seen some good sub-1440p looking games (Uncharted 4’s 120fps mode running at 1080p is very good looking for 1080p) but by and large I think 1440p should be the standard.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

1440p 165hz monitor for desktop use and 120hz 4k for relaxing sofa setup. I have no reason to change what I have currently.
You do know capable builds and displays do 4K@240hz.(to a lesser extent 4K@165h)
It's glorious on the 32 inch QD-OLED with my 4090.

I hear you with the couch 4K@120Hz and bigger display.
Especially for fighting games like SF6(which I gotta double dip for PC)

Senua

You do know capable builds and displays do 4K@240hz.(to a lesser extent 4K@165h)
It's glorious on the 32 inch QD-OLED with my 4090.

I hear you with the couch 4K@120Hz and bigger display.
Especially for fighting games like SF6(which I gotta double dip for PC)
Of course dude but just because I don't have a supercar doesn't mean I can't be content with my sports car. I'm not blowing 1k on a monitor, plus 2k on a 4090 when I'm still happy with my current one, when that changes i'll upgrade. I don't upgrade for the sake of it, I try and play it a little bit smart.

Anyway way off topic

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Anything under 1440p is completely unacceptable.
Skull and Bones runs at 720p at 60 fps. FF16 also locked at 720p during combat encounters to maintain a locked 60 fps. Immortals launched at 720p 60 fps though they have since improved to 900p but now it drops frames.

Star Wars was below 720p at launch and now without RT it is 900-1080p in the 60 fps mode with no RT. Alan Wake 2 and Avatar both drop to 720p internally in their 60 fps modes though only during hectic sessions and are typically around 900p upscaled to 1440p using FSR2.

This is pretty much the norm nowadays. 1440p 60 fps modes were only good during the cross gen days. Even Spiderman 2 drops to 1080p and reserves the 1440p resolution for 40 fps.

S0ULZB0URNE

Of course dude but just because I don't have a supercar doesn't mean I can't content with my sports car. I'm not blowing 1k on a monitor, plus 2k on a 4090 when I'm still happy with my current one, when that changes i'll upgrade. I don't upgrade for the sake of it, I try and play it a little bit smart.

Anyway way off topic
In this post I didn't mean it the way you are taking it.
Besides not every modern game in doing 4K@240hz anyway with any build.

Still would rather 4K@120Hz or 165hz over 1440p anything for me.

SlimySnake

PS5 pro ready. Based on the videos, it runs between 20 and 60 lol. Not good
?? What videos?

The link shows the game is pretty much a locked 60 fps with some very rare drops.

Analyzing the direct capture from the PS5, the game ran at 60FPS with some inconsequential dips. All three 20-minute videos average around 59.50 FPS. We have uploaded a collection of screenshots so you can see yourself.

Dragons-Dogma-2-35554.jpg

Dragons-Dogma-2-46890.jpg

SlimySnake

My qd oled ultrawide says otherwise. 3440x1440 is perfectly fine. Especially when you have a high-quality display.
1440p is 2560*1440p. You are much higher than that. And your monitor doesnt have to upscale anything. you are getting native pixels.

Top Bottom