• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dragon’s Dogma 2 Reportedly Runs At 30FPS On PS5 & Xbox Series S|X

To the people saying they'll skip this game over 30fps.

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Immediately goes into the 'Buy at 10 euro' list no matter how great it is.

Im not paying triple A prices for a 30 fps experience, you can f off with that. If it takes 1440p with FSR to get at 60, you better implement it.

Sorry, but this is just dumb.

Basically your argument is limit what your game does in order to fit an arbitrary metric in presentation.

In short, aim low in content and interactivity, because creativity matters less than smoothness. /facepalm.

I think it is more likely that the developer's are not targetting a locked 60 fps for Dragon's Dogma 2 on consoles but that doesn't mean the game won't ship with an option to run it unlocked. Resident Evil Village on PS5 wasn't completely locked at 60 fps either, certainly not in the RT mode, but VRR eventually helped when Sony finally added it in a console update.

I will be buying this game on PC anyway but having played Final Fantasy XVI at 30 fps on my PS5 then I don't think it would have bothered me too much personally as long as it is a properly frame paced 30 fps and completely locked at that framerate.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Have you played a 30 fps game on an OLED sir? There is no 'interactivity' because its a f**king slideshow :messenger_expressionless:

The limitations of certain display types shouldn't dictate creative direction and content for products aimed at fixed-spec hardware like a console.

If it bothers you that much get a high-end PC where even in the worst case you'll be able to brute force it eventually.

Alebrije

Can we get 40fps on a 120hz tv from this Game?

They should at least have base 40 fps mode or variable like Elden Ring. 30 FPS is cheap from Capcom since the graphics ar not the Best demanding ones.

Last edited:
It's funny hearing artisic vision as a justification for something that's going to leave your own vision bloodshot and blurry.

Seriously though, I don't believe they couldn't find a way to scale things back enough to get a 60 fps version of this. Down the road if not at launch I bet they add it in.

Skifi28

Get used console folk, games are getting more demanding (especially in the CPU department), so this will be the norm moving forward unless you want tech and visuals to stagnate for the consoles.
Do we really need to do the "it's joever" song and dance every time a 30fps game releases? It's happened before and the majority of games since retained a 60fps mode. For many reasons there will always be some 30fps targets, but all this Nostradamus doom and gloom business is once again unnecessary. If anything, we're seeing more and more impressive releases that target 60fps while also using RT like Spiderman2, avatar, robocop as developers get more familiar with the hardware and their new engines.

b0uncyfr0

If it bothers you that much get a high-end PC where even in the worst case you'll be able to brute force it eventually.
No thanks. There are plenty of other games to play at 60 fps. I wont buy/play any shitty 30 fps game on my OLED 🤷‍♂️ - See what i did there, i voted with my wallet.

You seem to have it backwards. You think i need to bend to developer choices - its the other way around son. They're trying to sell me something.

I think if more people took this position, just maybe sales would be shitty enough where they start listening to us.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yeah as long as you dont pan the camera.

So not even a locked 30, you're happy with a stuttering, judder fest. I can just about tolerate 40fps, but even then I'd rather it was 45+. To each their own though.
Bro, I gamed on the N64 and loved it. It’s all uphill from there.

King Dazzar

Bro, I gamed on the N64 and loved it. It’s all uphill from there.
Yeah I had an N64. Bought it just to play Turok. I also used to play on an Amiga with really, really shitty frame rates. And I gamed for a few years at 30fps with the X1X. But these days I just love having things smoother. I love it when games give us options.

No thanks. There are plenty of other games to play at 60 fps. I wont buy/play any shitty 30 fps game on my OLED 🤷‍♂️ - See what i did there, i voted with my wallet.

You seem to have it backwards. You think i need to bend to developer choices - its the other way around son. They're trying to sell me something.

I think if more people took this position, just maybe sales would be shitty enough where they start listening to us.
Spider Man Lol GIF

Mister Wolf

Will be interesting to see what can achieve 60fps at console settings on PC. Those are always the best videos. Especially if the console version is using reconstruction which allows for the comparative use of DLSS.

havoc00

The more I read about Dragon's Dogma 2, the less I like, lots of design decisions that have been discovered recently that aren't great imo. A shame really, the combat and character creation look good, I would have played it if the director wasn't so dead set on bringing back poor design mechanics from the first game which were already outdated at the time, 12 years ago, mechanics which cost it alot of review points at the time.

Guess maybe I will play it on PC where mods will likely drop to fix those mechanics.

SABRE220

I mean I have absolutely no issues with devs targeting 30fps to push tech but this game is basically a ps4 title in tech....how the hell are they unable to get 60fps running on the next gen consoles.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yeah I had an N64. Bought it just to play Turok. I also used to play on an Amiga with really, really shitty frame rates. And I gamed for a few years at 30fps with the X1X. But these days I just love having things smoother. I love it when games give us options.
Ehhh. I’m good with just firing up a game and it plays as intended. Looking forward to that inevitable day of just cloud gaming. Seems like less work would be needed by devs. Less options to have to optimize to.

I know im in the minority of that thinking at this forum, but I bet more think like me away from here.

lol this is funny. as I expected if a 3600x barely gets 30 fps, you will need upwards of 5800x 3d to hit rock solid 60 fps with decent %1 lows

naturally they cannot even give recommendations for 60 fps specs because then chaos would ensue over forums
its why it was a big mistake using zen 2 over 3 in console. Oh well at least the pro is coming

Mister Wolf

Its what happens since they went zen 2 instead of 3 can’t wait for the pro actually hope its 600-700 and give us a real upgrade

They're going to cut corners with the Pro as well. The only way to avoid this is by speccing out your gaming hardware to your exact preference.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
In which case, why do so many games have options these days?

Options are good, but when a feature becomes mandatory it can detract from everything else.

Console performance is a zero-sum game. You cannot pretend that the sacrifices necessary to DOUBLE the frame-rate cannot have worse knock-on effects!

Stop with the brain-dead assumptions that frame-rate can always be adjusted simply by lowering resolution or visual detail; render budget is just one aspect of the code.

King Dazzar

Options are good, but when a feature becomes mandatory it can detract from everything else.

Console performance is a zero-sum game. You cannot pretend that the sacrifices necessary to DOUBLE the frame-rate cannot have worse knock-on effects!

Stop with the brain-dead assumptions that frame-rate can always be adjusted simply by lowering resolution or visual detail; render budget is just one aspect of the code.
Well, you're assuming things in assuming that I'm assuming, so going by your own silly criteria, you should be aiming that brain dead insult back at yourself.

My point was, that devs and publishers clearly do know gamers want options beyond 30fps, otherwise they wouldnt go out of their way implementing VRR, 120fps modes, 40fps and 60fps options.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
My point was, that devs and publishers clearly do know gamers want options beyond 30fps, otherwise they wouldnt go out of their way implementing VRR, 120fps modes, 40fps and 60fps options.

They do it when its feasible to do so!

How do you think this all works? Seriously?

Devs have targets in mind for performance, so if they are aiming for a high frame-rate they need to build for it based on the capabilities of each hardware SKU they are building for. Every aspect is budgeted in advance, and if the game/scenario design presents situations that will in all likelihood stress resources to the extent that for extended periods will demand a 33ms window to process, the choice is (1) cut those elements so like the rest of the game it can fit in ~16ms, (2) cap the framerate at a constant level, or (3) allow it to run unlocked - this last case likely being perceived as frame-rate buckling and they will end up eating shit for it regardless of how well the game runs outside of these worst-case scenarios.

So you tell me, what's the logical course of action to take?

Also, if you look at what DD2 aims to offer from a game-play perspective, its evident that load is going to fluctuate drastically depending on what's happening to a degree that basic optimizations/countermeasures like variable resolution are not going to cut it. Its not a design that is amenable to traditional smoke and mirrors trickery either (e.g. reduced geometric detail in areas where large enemy encounters are the focus) because its all about dynamics and scene variability.

This all should be entirely obvious if you've played the original game, and are aware of how few games since have even tried to offer a similar formula and feature-set.

Bojji

Devs have targets in mind for performance, so if they are aiming for a high frame-rate they need to build for it based on the capabilities of each hardware SKU they are building for. Every aspect is budgeted in advance, and if the game/scenario design presents situations that will in all likelihood stress resources to the extent that for extended periods will demand a 33ms window to process, the choice is (1) cut those elements so like the rest of the game it can fit in ~16ms, (2) cap the framerate at a constant level, or (3) allow it to run unlocked - this last case likely being perceived as frame-rate buckling and they will end up eating shit for it regardless of how well the game runs outside of these worst-case scenarios.

Also, if you look at what DD2 aims to offer from a game-play perspective, its evident that load is going to fluctuate drastically depending on what's happening to a degree that basic optimizations/countermeasures like variable resolution are not going to cut it. Its not a design that is amenable to traditional smoke and mirrors trickery either (e.g. reduced geometric detail in areas where large enemy encounters are the focus) because its all about dynamics and scene variability.

This all should be entirely obvious if you've played the original game, and are aware of how few games since have even tried to offer a similar formula and feature-set.

Devs that targets only 30fps can go fuck themselves, that's my message to them.

AT LEAST give us 40fps or GTFO.

King Dazzar

Yeah I heard all of this when Starfield was announced at 30fps only. Yet on XSX I can play Skyrim, with numerous mods and it run at a native 4k and 60fps. I can play Fallout 4 at 4k 60fps, heavily modded. I was told it was due to the engine being able to remember where a million bits of tat are. They called it a creative choice. Called it engine limitations. Just call it whatever you like whilst a violin concerto plays the saddest song for the devs. I dont care. If you can only manage 30fps, then, either use a better engine, get better developers or dont expect my spondolics.

Generic

The more I read about Dragon's Dogma 2, the less I like, lots of design decisions that have been discovered recently that aren't great imo. A shame really, the combat and character creation look good, I would have played it if the director wasn't so dead set on bringing back poor design mechanics from the first game which were already outdated at the time, 12 years ago, mechanics which cost it alot of review points at the time.

Guess maybe I will play it on PC where mods will likely drop to fix those mechanics.
Devil May Cry 5 already felt outdated for a 2019 game. I guess the problem is the director.

subsmoke

All this and at $70 as well. I was hyped when it was announced but this one seems like you might be better off waiting for a sale on it.

Seems unreasonable. At $70 you're only paying a bit more than you would have for a PS2 game. That's a good deal considering the massive jump in quality.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah I heard all of this when Starfield was announced at 30fps only. Yet on XSX I can play Skyrim, with numerous mods and it run at a native 4k and 60fps. I can play Fallout 4 at 4k 60fps, heavily modded. I was told it was due to the engine being able to remember where a million bits of tat are. They called it a creative choice. Called it engine limitations. Just call it whatever you like whilst a violin concerto plays the saddest song for the devs. I dont care. If you can only manage 30fps, then, either use a better engine, get better developers or dont expect my spondolics.

Believe what you want, I know better.

I really, truly, do not care if you choose not to buy the game. That's your loss.

Your ignorance is a little disappointing, but frankly again, you probably don't have the years of experience within the industry that I have to inform your perspective.

So, whatevs bro. You do you. :D

Tqaulity

PS5 pro is coming near future, we should be able to get more 60fps game on pro at least.

It was bound to happen, eventually. These consoles CPUs are weak now.

Next gen was a mistake.

Not to single you guys out but these kinds of threads just show how unbelievable (and irrational) the gaming audience is. ONE game is mentioned as a rumor (unconfirmed) to be limited to 30fps and everyone is having a fit and calling the consoles weak. You guys spend all of last gen for more than 10 years wishing and hoping to get to a place where 60fps is more common and closer to the norm. So in the 3 years since the release of PS5 and Xbox Series, you do realize that >95% of ALL games released natively on these machines run at 60fps or higher! We've never had anywhere near that % in the past 30 years of console generations (3D era beginning with PS1). Want to think about the most graphically intensive games to come out this gen so far and tell me how many of them actually are limited to 30fps?

Cyberpunk 2077 ? 60 check!
Alan Wake 2? 60 check!
Jedi Survivor? 60 check!
Dead Space Remake? 60 check!
Callisto Protocol? 60 check!
Metro Enhanced (RT Only)? 60 check!
Witcher 3 Next Gen (RT)? 60 check!
Immortals of Aviem (UE5)? 60 check!
GOW R, Horizon Fobidden West, Spider Man 2, Rachet & Clank Rift Apart, Demons Souls, TLOU PT1 & 2, and virtually all Sony 1st parties releases so far? 60 Check!
RE3/4 Remake, Forspoken, FFVII Remake, FFXVI, Lords of the Fallen, Hogwarts Legacy, every Assassin's Creed release on current gen, Forza Horizon 5, A Plague's Tale Requiem, Hitman 3, Dying Light 2, Elden Ring, Diablo IV.......DO I NEED TO GO ON? 60 Check!

OK in fact, let's do it this way. Someone quickly name me 10 games this ENTIRE generation of consoles that are limited to 30fps max? Just 10 out of the >600 native current gen titles of titles that have released so far. Go ahead I'll wait.......actually I'll give you a headstart:
  1. Gotham Knights
  2. Starfield
  3. Industria
  4. The Quarry
  5. Microsoft Flight Sim (XSS/XSX)
  6. Redfall? (Nope fixed with 60fps patch)
  7. A Plague's Tale Requiem? (Nope fixed with 60fps patch)
  8. Matrix Awakens Demo? (Nope not a full game release)
And yet all I see on these forums are people bitching and complaining about performance and weak consoles. If it has 60fps then it's complaining about the concessions made and how low the resolution is now. We have games with real-time ray tracing and 60fps in a $500 box when just 1 year before they launched, folks would have laughed in your face if you said that we'd see any ray traced games in a console so soon. Oh but now let's complain that the ray count is too low. We have >100 games pushing 120fps modes, we have VRR support with native 4K fidelity modes pushing 40-60fps. We have AAA games with <5s load times and super clean IQ with superior upscaling/reconstruction (see me if you remember how games looked on the PS2 and PS3). But then let's complain about how we shouldn't need upscaling to deliver this performance because my $1500+ PC doesn't need it for the same settings.

Seriously, gamers are just impossible to please and it's pretty embarrassing to be honest :messenger_angry:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
What the hell is this? There no more excuses for poorly optimized games. Tool sets have advanced as well as hardware, and yet we still have devs thinking they can swindlle the console owners into buying this type of crap. Ridiculous....

games like FF16 and Jedi Survivor should’ve just been 30 fps. 60 fps with sub 720p internal res is a joke.

Top Bottom